Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2015, 11:56   #17356
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
He was not wearing a helmet.......
Many of the motorists wear helmets for the cops and not to save their head. Also the enforcement on the helmets and the stopline is out of window for quite sometime. I have many a time seen such motorist ask the cops for directions or take a wrong turn right under their nose These days you can see many in Chennai not wearing one. They would not mind wearing a cap, but not a helmet. Even if they do wear one, I am sure 50 - 60% of the helmets are the roadside ones, or few decades old or not the right size(just a loose slip-on), on in extreme cases only the shell. I have recently seen a few motorist wearing a helmet which is more like a WII German helmet, but a size smaller (not the construction site safety helmets).

That said in this case, it would have offered little protection for a fall from 40 feet, especially if its one of the fake ones and if they were not strapped.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 11th March 2015 at 11:59.
Old 11th March 2015, 12:18   #17357
Senior - BHPian

Most likely a full face helmet, striking the ground chin first from that height,would have broken his neck.

Just about a third of the two wheeler riders alone wear proper helmets, and wear them properly in Chennai.
Old 11th March 2015, 23:11   #17358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I dunno, but if some one hit my car, I will shrug and move on, simply because no amount of quarreling/fighting will reverse those damages.

Maybe if it is some one's mistake, he/she realizes and wishes to compensate, then maybe...else not worth bother.

People have become too short tempered.
I also think the same way as you do. Actually, my dad has made me think that way. He says- "If anything happens like this, keep calm and don't quarrel/fight. I'll pay for whatever damage is done to your vehicle. I'll lose some money but you'll be fine, you never know what kind of a person the other one is".
Nowadays, people have become too short tempered. And mostly, those who have someone behind them, they don't even care about the law.

I'm very disheartened to see whatever the video showed and also very sorry for the child who's watching all these things from such a tender age.
Swapnil_Alto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 11:26   #17359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
This is a crunchy situation for a policeman, especially if she/he holds a low rank, isn't it?
If the policeman acts against that rowdy and if that rowdy has contacts, the policeman will get in a big trouble. He may get suspended.

If the policeman doesn't act because of this fear and also that he doesn't know that a video is being recorded, and that video goes viral, he is still in big trouble. He will get suspended for not performing his duties.

I only wish that all actions of police are constantly recorded for their own good. But I know our police will be against it, because then they won't have freedom to do certain things
I don't know why Indian police are so afraid to use their power. Traffic police are generally not armed but if they were armed, such a situation calls for shooting the Innova driver as he is trying to possibly kill another person and who knows what he will do if he is allowed to drive away from the scene? He could have gone mad and might go on to mow down another dozen people on the road. The police need to stop him right there at all cost- if the traffic police couldn't stop him, a full alert should have been issued and he should have been chased down and stopped by using all available resources, not booked six days later.

Finally very minor charges were framed and he got bail easily. Charges needed were attempted murder and so on. If the police start acting harshly against such people, many of them would not dare to disobey the law regardless of who they think they are.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 13:42   #17360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I dunno, but if some one hit my car, I will shrug and move on, simply because no amount of quarreling/fighting will reverse those damages.

Maybe if it is some one's mistake, he/she realizes and wishes to compensate, then maybe...else not worth bother.

People have become too short tempered. They seem to vent out everything on the road. Angry boss/wife, honk more. Be late deliberately and drive fast to make it up. Else, how can you explain the incessant honking, no discipline or following of any traffic rule on the roads?

What is the need to honk when the lights turn green? When the toll operator hands out the receipt + change? And at fuel pumps? The pump stops and the guy in queue starts honking. No one is building a house there and everyone will move, just be a bit more patient. Start early. Don't get irked.

Talk politely, does wonders.
Couldn't agree with you more @Sheel. You've nailed it when you say that people vent out everything on the road. I get worked up when I see someone honking for the same reasons as mentioned by you above.

There was this one time when I had a school bus full of kids on the way back home in the afternoon the driver of which was honking like crazy while we were waiting for the lights to turn green. I mean he was honking even when the lights were red (can you believe it???!!!). I was really amused and seeing that I still had about 75 seconds to go before the lights would turn green, I went to the bus driver and politely asked him as to why on earth he was honking. I also told him that he was driving a school bus with kids in it and he should be a little considerate and careful keeping that in mind. What I got in return was a mouthful of abuses. He basically told me that it was his bus and his horn and he would do whatever he feels like doing with it. That day I learnt that Darwin's theory still does not apply to a vast majority of humans. Thanking my stars that I was not a part of that category, I shook my head and with a wry smile on my face, moved back to my car seat and drove away as soon as the lights turned green.
harjeet.khokher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 14:47   #17361
BHPian

Karnal: Two members of a family were killed while another sustained serious injuries when their vehicle was hit by a speeding light commercial vehicle on Karnal-Yammunanagar road near Ramba village here on Wednesday. The victims were going to their native Butankheri village after attending a religious ceremony when the accident occurred.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46535298.cms
Old 12th March 2015, 15:13   #17362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeet.khokher View Post
the driver of which was honking like crazy while we were waiting for the lights to turn green. I mean he was honking even when the lights were red (can you believe it???!!!).
The only other thing which I would have done is, taken the school's phone number (usually written across the bus) and would have spoken with someone & if need be, would have gone ahead to meet the principal.

Also, would have asked the children in the bus to complain about this driver in their school & to their parents [citing the happenings, children being children would have made noise]

I usually don't poke my head at places which do not demand my attention, but [as a Samaritan, have duties] when I do, I make sure it hurts
Old 12th March 2015, 16:54   #17363
Team-BHP Support

A friend's friend took these pics near his house and shared it on Whatsapp -

Nano driver pressed the accelerator instead of brakes while parking and crashed into a Honda City.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0.jpg

Which took out a Maruti Zen. Poor Honda Activa was caught in the middle.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1.jpg

Further damage was avoided thanks to an electric pole.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2.jpg

Tata should consider reducing the power output of the Nano's engine!
SmartCat is online now   (39) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 17:01   #17364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Nano into a Honda City.

Which took out a Maruti Zen.

Poor Honda Activa was caught in the middle.

Boy this was painfully funny, seeing a high velocity 'parking' accident for the first time, I mean c'mon the Nano has bunched up 2 cars and squished an Activa as well! Wonder what speed did he hit the City at, did he have some free space to kind of smash them like that!?

Last edited by Trojan : 12th March 2015 at 17:02. Reason: Detailed
Old 12th March 2015, 17:11   #17365
Senior - BHPian

OMG, what did Tata pack under the hood of Nano? Err,...I mean in the derriere. Li'l Nano took out 2 cars and a scooter. The speed with which Nano hit can be gauged by the damage caused at the farthest end, i.e. Zen's caved in bonnet.
Old 12th March 2015, 17:26   #17366
Distinguished - BHPian

The City & the Zen must have been parked without handbrakes engaged and they must be in neutral. That is the only possibility if the Nano has to impart such damage to the other cars.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 17:30   #17367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I guess the scooter in the picture is not an Activa but the old Kinetic Honda Marvel.
rr_zen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 19:04   #17368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A friend's friend took these pics near his house and shared it on Whatsapp -

Nano driver pressed the accelerator instead of brakes while parking and crashed into a Honda City.

I guess only Nano would have been drivable post this accident and may get back to normal condition with least expenditure. Nano's loss would have been the AC at most.
Old 12th March 2015, 19:17   #17369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I don't know why Indian police are so afraid to use their power. Traffic police are generally not armed but if they were armed, such a situation calls for shooting the Innova driver as he is trying to possibly kill another person ...

Finally very minor charges were framed and he got bail easily. Charges needed were attempted murder ...
Whoa! Calm down.

This was not attempted murder. Think: you punch someone in the face, is that attempted murder? No, of course it is not. It is violence, it is probably criminal, but it is not attempted murder. That's why the world has different laws for different crimes.

You want police to start shooting all people who might do something really nasty? Well... bye-bye population explosion.

Comments on this incident, in this thread, have already been cleaned up. We are repeating what has been deleted already. Maybe you weren't aware of that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 19:47   #17370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Whoa! Calm down.

This was not attempted murder. Think: you punch someone in the face, is that attempted murder? No, of course it is not. It is violence, it is probably criminal, but it is not attempted murder. That's why the world has different laws for different crimes.

You want police to start shooting all people who might do something really nasty? Well... bye-bye population explosion.

Comments on this incident, in this thread, have already been cleaned up. We are repeating what has been deleted already. Maybe you weren't aware of that.

With respect, I beg to differ.
After the man in the Innova hit the small car once and then backed up to ram it again, how was anyone to know that he would not keep doing it until he had toppled over the woman's small car? Even without toppling, the impact of a hard hit from the side can seriously injure an occupant especially when one is in a tiny car and is being hit by a huge vehicle. This is nothing but an attempt to hurt or kill the woman. After all what can you expect from a deranged man trying such a thing? He tried it three times. How did the police know that he would stop after the third attempt? A vehicle is a dangerous weapon and ramming it in to someone is no different than shooting them. If someone shoots a person and the person is slightly grazed by the bullet, it is attempted murder.

Furthermore, even if we agree that a lesser charge is possible, it is imperative to levy the strictest possible charge against such lawless hooligans to put some fear in them and the others. If they behave like this in front of the police in broad daylight, I shudder to think what they might have done in a desolate area. At the very least he should have been chased and detained right away and put behind bars till the next court hearing instead of walking free for six days and then getting released on bail after a few minutes. All kinds of serious charges are possible here. His companion attempted to snatch away the car keys- that is robbery. They stopped her from leaving- that is kidnapping or at least wrongful restraint. They hit her car door with a stick- that is assault. Ramming the car is at least an attempt to cause grievous bodily harm and rash driving. Abuses hurled are outraging a woman's modesty. Follow this up with refusing to follow the policeman's orders, fleeing the scene, resisting arrest and so on and they can be locked up for a while.

Last edited by Lobogris : 12th March 2015 at 19:50.
Lobogris is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks