Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2015, 06:41   #17491
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

One case I have seen is - if the speedbreakers are fairly low height and wide, the driver doesn't mind the sudden bump caused by taking it, and accelerates over it. Then suddenly he gets a higher / steeper than usual curve on one speedbreaker, hits it and loses control of his car. That speedbreaker assisted takeoff scenario is therefore just as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
Looks like the driver was distracted and probably stomped the accelerator, weird though it may sound.
I have witnessed a similar case wherein a person banged into a wall, while reversing.

Another possibility could be a speed breaker assisted take-off, resulting in loss of control but lower on the probability count because of the stretch being full of breakers.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 07:03   #17492
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw an accident near Trichy on 10th April. An XUV500 had toppled and fell on the road side. The vehicle was crushed beyond recognition. The driver had wore seat belt and he was alive. His wife hadn't belted up and was thrown out of the car. Unfortunately she passed away.

Somehow I felt that not taking a picture was the right thing to in the midst of all this.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 04:46   #17493
Senior - BHPian

So this Dzire half up on a tree today near my residence. It was raining heavily and there is a sharp right hander after almost half a mile of straight stretch which invites people to overspeed.
Wonder why people can not drive sensibly, even in wet conditions, i see so many guys driving like mad. This was a V model without abs so any attempt to brake would have gone waste.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428794121.108837.jpg
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 09:13   #17494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Its been covered on this link. I have seen quite a few accidents on that curve(on the opposite downward curve also). Going up on that highway stretch at high speeds, those who don't use that stretch of highway often, that curve can be little alarming as it turns a bit too sharply.
http://www.mangalorean.com/mangaluru...at-high-speed/

I am unaware of this incident , but most " parties" in Mangalore are usually drinking parties. DUI is a very common thing in the Udipi- Mangalore - Kasargod belt. I was recently at a party where I met a few doctors who had driven 90 kms from Mangalore to attend this function. I knew that they would be driving back in the night and that's why I was surprised to see them drinking alcohol. On questioning , all of them laughed at me and said " it's not so strict here , we do it regularly "
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 13:34   #17495
BHPian

Friends i would like to share a picture which would help averting an accident. Mods please delete my post if its not relevant in this thread but could not help clicking and sharing it as it left me totally impressed.

I know its a small thing but attaching a properly wired tail light to the extended load one carrying in a pick up van is not a regular sight in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto.jpg  

rahul_kej is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 19:48   #17496
BHPian

Another one goes down.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle7095344.ece
trinadha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 23:46   #17497
BHPian

A mutual friend's x1 toppled in Bangalore today. As far as I've heard this was the reason, the roads were wet and a taxi came out of "nowhere",bumped into him and he swerved. Thankfully he walked away with just a sore shoulder and no one else got hurt. How can anyone put a car of this size on its side with a small bump from a taxi I wonder :/
The showroom quoted around 16 lakhs for the repair I hear.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1429121598881.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1429121614795.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1429121629010.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1429121642772.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1429121661599.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1429121676600.jpg  

blahman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 09:42   #17498
Team-BHP Support

16 Lakhs? Looks like a total write off if you ask me! The A pillar is bent
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 10:28   #17499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Yup that's what I told my friend to tell the owner. But he's keen on getting it back into shape. One can only offer advises to people, what they do with it is really upto them. I guess it's a no brainer to write it off and get done with it.
blahman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 11:18   #17500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
A mutual friend's x1 toppled in Bangalore today. As far as I've heard this was the reason, the roads were wet and a taxi came out of "nowhere",bumped into him and he swerved. Thankfully he walked away with just a sore shoulder and no one else got hurt. How can anyone put a car of this size on its side with a small bump from a taxi I wonder :/
The showroom quoted around 16 lakhs for the repair I hear.
The seatbelts on the driver's side are still stuck in, is the sore shoulder a result of not wearing the seatbelt? (Not being judgmental, just speculating).

I have seen a lot of the luxury car owners tie the seatbelt and then sit on it, just because they dont want to wear it
Old 16th April 2015, 11:26   #17501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
The seatbelts on the driver's side are still stuck in, is the sore shoulder a result of not wearing the seatbelt? (Not being judgmental, just speculating).

I have seen a lot of the luxury car owners tie the seatbelt and then sit on it, just because they dont want to wear it
No he was wearing the seat belt. Hence just a sore shoulder. I guess if a car goes on its side and the driver isn't buckled in, it'll be much more than just a sore shoulder.

Not sure why they've secured the seatbelt while transporting it later though.

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2015 at 10:53. Reason: it's = its :)
Old 16th April 2015, 11:30   #17502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
A mutual friend's x1 toppled in Bangalore today. As far as I've heard this was the reason, the roads were wet and a taxi came out of "nowhere",bumped into him and he swerved.
Depending on exactly at what point in the "swerving" maneuver the taxi hit the X1 (point of least stability??), and the angle of impact, point of impact, etc, it is perfectly possible that the X1 toppled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Agree 100%. This car, even after repair, will simply not be the same and certainly a lot more unsafe.
Old 16th April 2015, 12:57   #17503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Agree 100%. This car, even after repair, will simply not be the same and certainly a lot more unsafe.
But I guess when it is a BMW that is getting repaired from the Authourised service center they will give it a new life. That is why the huge estimate for repairs, 16 Lakhs! The entire/good part of the body shell will be changed probably. Else why would the charges be more than half the rate of the car itself.

Last edited by navsjab : 16th April 2015 at 12:58.
Old 16th April 2015, 13:07   #17504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post

But I guess when it is a BMW that is getting repaired from the Authourised service center they will give it a new life. That is why the huge estimate for repairs, 16 Lakhs! The entire/good part of the body shell will be changed probably. Else why would the charges be more than half the rate of the car itself.
Unless it's going to the factory for this, it could be Rolls Royce. The body shops work will be diddly compared to the line. The charges could be the same as a new car, even for a Hyundai.
Old 16th April 2015, 15:37   #17505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Unless it's going to the factory for this, it could be Rolls Royce. The body shops work will be diddly compared to the line. The charges could be the same as a new car, even for a Hyundai.
That is true. I am just assuming that replacing a good part of the shell with the right machinery and envirorment can set it right - close to new. But, yes, there could be the joints and fractures which could still be a problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks