Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2015, 10:00   #17626
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I saw an accident involving a White Linea and Black Elantra yesterday evening just before Krishnagiri. It was raining heavily and both cars were on the oncoming lane, not sure what caused the accident. The Linea's windshield was broken and airbags were deployed, the Elantra was letting out some smoke/steam.

Anyone else spotted the same?
Old 17th May 2015, 11:51   #17627
BHPian

An accident on the ECR, 40 kms from pondi yesterday. Swift & a verna had a head on collision possibly while trying to over take. I just reached the spot a minute after the accident, swift had nothing to call the front end. Had to crow bar the driver's door to pull him out, injuries - fractured ribs, hand and cuts on his face.

Rear passengers on the swift - one had a spinal fracture and broke his leg

Verna - driver had minor cuts/burns from air bag, his wife on the front passenger side had a broken leg,face and burn injuries from the air bag.

Driver on the Verna was the only guy who wore seat belts, his wife didnt and had injuries from both the airbag and the accident

belt up
haithereitsme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 12:55   #17628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
'

And none respects that signal in the early and late hours. There's no visibility at night too.

Similarly, the signal after Tambaram Railway station and before the climb to Irumbuliyur, no one stops at that signal. Suddenly the road becomes narrow in that stretch and if the HMV coming behind decides not to stop and if you decide to stop you are about to get hit from behind. I slowdown before the signal and have stopped always when signal turns red even if it is 5am.

Ideally the authorities should do away with that signal as one can come to the other side of the road by climbing Tambaram - East Tambaram flyover.
Old 18th May 2015, 09:38   #17629
BHPian

There was an accident last evening at NICE Road at a Hosur Road toll booth end (going towards E city). It was raining very heavily. Looked like an Indica cab suddenly decided to change the toll booth lane, a loaded truck coming from behind could not stop on time, and rammed the cab on RHS. As it was raining, the truck was anyway moving slowly; so thankfully no casualties.
Old 18th May 2015, 10:21   #17630
Senior - BHPian

Head on collision between a BMW and Swift on NH267, near Gundlepet, left 4 dead in the Swift. Passengers in the BMW escaped since they were belted.

http://m.deccanherald.com/content/478181/bmw-swift-cars-collide-4.html/?secid=12878
Old 18th May 2015, 11:47   #17631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Head on collision between a BMW and Swift on NH267, near Gundlepet, left 4 dead in the Swift. Passengers in the BMW escaped since they were belted.

http://m.deccanherald.com/content/47...l/?secid=12878
The picture in the article is telling. Crumple zones in both cars have done their job. Passenger cell is more or less intact in both the Swift and the BMW.
If only the people in the Swift had worn their seat belts.

RIP.
KiloAlpha is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 11:52   #17632
Distinguished - BHPian

Seeing that picture, it is just awful to think that people died in that accident.

The message is clear: seat belts for both front and back seat passengers.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 12:48   #17633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Seeing that picture, it is just awful to think that people died in that accident.
When I saw that picture, I checked the caption to see if it was a picture used only for representational purposes, and not the actual accident. I'm surprised to see its the actual accident picture. What should have been just a written-off car has turned into a family wiped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The message is clear: seat belts for both front and back seat passengers.
People underestimate the power of momentum: mass x velocity. They cannot comprehend how a body composed of flesh and bone can break seats and crush other bodies.

People have to remember that it was foam (like thermocole/Styrofoam) that brought down the space shuttle Columbia. And foam isn't the densest/heaviest of objects.

And on that topic of seatbelts/airbags, people often expect them to work like a magical guardian angel who saves them from any and all perils. So anytime someone dies in an accident while wearing seatbelts, or if the airbags deployed, they are people quick to decry these safety aids as useless.

People have to understand that these safety aids are just a percentage game - each aid multiplies the safety level by some percentage factor. And you can never make something 100% safe.
arunphilip is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 12:59   #17634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
People underestimate the power of momentum: mass x velocity. They cannot comprehend how a body composed of flesh and bone can break seats and crush other bodies.

And on that topic of seatbelts/airbags, people often expect them to work like a magical guardian angel who saves them from any and all perils. So anytime someone dies in an accident while wearing seatbelts, or if the airbags deployed, they are people quick to decry these safety aids as useless.

People have to understand that these safety aids are just a percentage game - each aid multiplies the safety level by some percentage factor. And you can never make something 100% safe.
Rightly said. It is preposterous to see how people can go out on a road trip, leave alone sitting in the moving car without a seat belt on. Very sad to see this family wipe off when the car's crumple zones did it's duty well.
navsjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 13:25   #17635
BHPian

I got message this am via whatsapp, am sharing here as it's of an accident. No other detail apart from the message at my end.

Vehicle involved is a Xuv.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150518wa0003.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150518wa0004.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150518wa0005.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150518wa0007.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150518wa0009.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150518wa0010.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150518wa0006.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150518wa0011.jpg  

ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 13:55   #17636
Distinguished - BHPian

The XUV looks like it exploded! The A and B pillars in the LHS have welding cut marks. Probably they were cut to move the people from inside.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 14:20   #17637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
The XUV looks like it exploded! The A and B pillars in the LHS have welding cut marks. Probably they were cut to move the people from inside.
XUV 500 despite its gigantic looks, to me is not structurally very strong. Some time back i witnessed an accident involving an auto and an XUV. The front windshield of the auto broke while the front portion of the XUV took a severe beating.
Old 18th May 2015, 15:29   #17638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
I got message this am via whatsapp, am sharing here as it's of an accident. No other detail apart from the message at my end.

Vehicle involved is a Xuv.
Looks like a clear case of read ending from the second pic, the Tyre is pretty much intact.
Old 18th May 2015, 15:52   #17639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
It's been mentioned a few times on this forum, but please google "julie knew her killer" and watch the video. One of the most effective Public Information Service short films ever. Really, everyone should watch this if they have any doubt whatsoever that every passenger in a car should be belted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip
When I saw that picture, I checked the caption to see if it was a picture used only for representational purposes, and not the actual accident. I'm surprised to see its the actual accident picture. What should have been just a written-off car has turned into a family wiped out.
Hard to tell from a postage-stamp picture, but it doesn't even look that bad to me.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 19:41   #17640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

http://m.deccanherald.com/content/47...l/?secid=12878
How do you know which passengers wore seat belts? The article doesn't mention anything about this.

Most Viewed