Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2015, 20:15   #17641
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
How do you know which passengers wore seat belts? The article doesn't mention anything about this.
To quote the article itself :
Quote:
The injured are recuperating at a private hospital in Mysuru. Airbags and seat belts helped the occupants of BMW car survive the collision, police said.
That said; note that the BMW had seven occupants.

And all of them survived. And obviously; not all of them were wearing seatbelts. The BMW is a 4/5 seater; after all.

And yet- all of them survived. Guess the superior build quality does help to an extent.

May the occupants of the Swift RIP. Sadly; it was their fault. They paid for their mistake I guess- With their life.

Road Safety awareness must increase.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 18th May 2015 at 20:16.
FINTAIL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 11:45   #17642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Looks like a clear case of read ending from the second pic, the Tyre is pretty much intact.
Just read about this in yesterday's newspaper today. It was 2.30am and it rear ended a heavy vehicle. The heavy vehicle must've braked hard on realizing there's a speed breaker. The reflex action of the XUV driver was not sufficient.
Yet another sad event where probably a safe distance was not maintained.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20150519_11_33_51_pro.jpg  

Last edited by rav11stars : 19th May 2015 at 12:02. Reason: yesterday's paper
Old 19th May 2015, 12:48   #17643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
I got message this am via whatsapp, am sharing here as it's of an accident. No other detail apart from the message at my end.

Vehicle involved is a Xuv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Just read about this in yesterday's newspaper today. It was 2.30am and it rear ended a heavy vehicle. The heavy vehicle must've braked hard on realizing there's a speed breaker. The reflex action of the XUV driver was not sufficient.
Yet another sad event where probably a safe distance was not maintained.
I guess this was the article ritz3645 was talking about yesterday. Really a tragic accident. The vehicle must have got clamped into the heavy vehicle because of which the vehicle had to be cut open (guessing from the acetylene torch marks on the A and B pillars). Also seems like none were wearing a sealt belt. Atleast the rear passengers would survive had they had the belts on.
Old 19th May 2015, 13:01   #17644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
The heavy vehicle must've braked hard on realizing there's a speed breaker.
Among other silent killers on our roads - unmarked speed breakers.
Old 19th May 2015, 14:34   #17645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Among other silent killers on our roads - unmarked speed breakers.
You can say that again. Sunday night - pitch black, unlit road just off the Indian Express building, and pouring rain. Managed to mount one of those unpainted dividers with my car and end up with one wheel on the other side of the divider. All thanks to a BMTC bus that decided to miss me by an inch overtaking on my left.

Thank god, low divider and slow speed. Some bystanders managed to lift the car wheel back onto the divider, then had to slowly reverse it back onto the road. No damage beyond a few minor scratches on the underbody, and a precautionary wheel alignment.
Old 19th May 2015, 14:49   #17646
Senior - BHPian

Two persons were killed and several injured when a mini bus carrying a tourist group, fell into a gorge at Karadippara near Munnar yesterday. The bus was on its way to Kochi from Munnar. The caving in of the side of the road, is believed to be the reason for the mishap.
Picture courtesy: Malayala Manorama daily
Attached Images

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th May 2015 at 15:06.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 14:54   #17647

It is also not so common to wear set belts on rear seat occupants of cars.
It has been mentioned that there were 7 occupants in BMW (I am not sure if they are referring to infants and kids). How is it possible to fit 7 adults in a BMW which is 4/5 seater?
I definitely think the airbag and solid body of BMW saved its occupants whereas Swift lacking airbag and front passengers not wearing seat-belt have proved disaster for them.
Old 19th May 2015, 18:38   #17648
BHPian

Was involved with an accident myself this Sunday morning. Was visiting my brother's place from Gurgaon. After crossing Rohtak, there are those small towns with little circles in the center of a crossing. Upon reaching it , I checked both sides as I wanted to go straight.

There was no traffic on the right, and one alto on the left which stopped when i flashed my lights. I was halfway across the intersection by then with speed about 20km/hr, and at that moment a Truck driver, seemingly in a lot of hurry, decided to overtake the truck and make a beeline for the area in front of me and cross it before I could.
The inevitable happened, the truck driver rammed into my car.
The scene heated up, and some locals were ready to beat up the truck driver alongwith me. I did not want such a scene as I was out of town and could have created a ruckus. As soon as I moved my car from the intersection to clear the jam, the truck driver saw his moment and ran away.

But I'm proud of Tata's build quality, the speed of truck at time of impact must have been around 40km/hr but the car took it well. And yes we were two people in the car and we were wearing seatbelts. Attaching a picture for reference. Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1432040875.403725.jpg
akhil994 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 21:56   #17649
BHPian

Spotted by a friend in Kurukshetra.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1432052715.684488.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1432052737.185874.jpg
r.joshi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 22:24   #17650
Senior - BHPian

Received a video over WhatsApp. Quite a scary video it is! From what I could make out, there weren't any casualties; a bunch of lucky escapes! Posted the video URL below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.joshi View Post
Spotted by a friend in Kurukshetra.

Attachment 1372395
Looks like the truck took the hand signal of Lord Krishna quite seriously!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th May 2015 at 12:26. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Removed attachments as Youtube URL has been shared. Thanks!
schakravarthy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 00:12   #17651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonics View Post
It is also not so common to wear set belts on rear seat occupants of cars.
It has been mentioned that there were 7 occupants in BMW (I am not sure if they are referring to infants and kids). How is it possible to fit 7 adults in a BMW which is 4/5 seater?
I definitely think the airbag and solid body of BMW saved its occupants whereas Swift lacking airbag and front passengers not wearing seat-belt have proved disaster for them.
If there were 7 people inside that BMW, then it is just plain luck that they survived. Even the Swift's shell is holding up quite well. So even if the Swift had airbags or stronger shell, I doubt if the occupants could have survived.

Looks like 6 occupants of the BMW were injured. Here's the link. http://m.thehindu.com/news/national/...le7216425.ece/
Old 20th May 2015, 10:15   #17652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Sharing screenshots from a video I received over WhatsApp.
Quite a scary video it is! From what I could make out, there weren't any casualties; a bunch of lucky escapes!
Goodness Gracious!! its not just lucky. They were terribly lucky. Any idea why that moron drove like that and the aftermath? I think the old lady near the gate must have got hurt quite badly. She seems to have disappeared in the 13th picture.

What gets into the minds of these drivers?

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 20th May 2015 at 10:17.
Old 20th May 2015, 10:34   #17653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sharing screenshots from a video I received over WhatsApp.
Quite a scary video it is! From what I could make out, there weren't any casualties; a bunch of lucky escapes!
Here's the video of the same.

Ps- since I received the video as a WhatsApp forward, I'm unsure about the credits/ copyright. If made aware, I would gladly make the changes and include the credits, or if it so pleases the author, remove the video altogether.
schakravarthy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 11:16   #17654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the video of the same.

Ps- since I received the video as a WhatsApp forward, I'm unsure about the credits/ copyright. If made aware, I would gladly make the changes and include the credits, or if it so pleases the author, remove the video altogether.
My guess is someone new to driving or learning to drive which went wrong.
That guy on the Dio who dropped his bike and jumped off to the side reminded me of someone trying to escape a bull, but still getting hit by it.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 11:35   #17655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
That guy on the Dio who dropped his bike and jumped off to the side reminded me of someone trying to escape a bull, but still getting hit by it.
I infer that he had starting trouble with his scooter, else he would have driven away like his friend. He is the luckiest chap in his part of the world, i tell you.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed