Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 09:54   #1786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What the truck driver did was unpardonable. I don't know when these killers learn the right manners. It was so sad to witness the accident.
I guess, the truck is back on the road again with a new bunch of hooligans in the cabin and is still being driven on the wrong side of the road!

Quote:
The impact of the collision was so strong that the car was completely wrecked. Rana, who was in the driver’s seat, suffered severe injuries and Singh, who was sitting next to him, died on the spot. The Alto managed to get away.
Such is the fate one has to face for the fault of someone else. But, why did they resort to chase the ALTO? Rather they could have taken pictures and noted down the registration number and called the police. RIP.
Old 6th March 2009, 09:54   #1787
Senior - BHPian

Oh god thats a horrible crash with a verna . May the souls of the departed rest in peace

That being said IMHO the RA did not have any right to take matters into thier own hands and give chase , for god sake even the police in some states have been instructed ( by the High cour , for eg:- Kerala) not to give chase as then the situation becomes extremely dangerous for other road users, the chaser as well as the chased.

And none of this would have happened if the Police were doing thier duty well.

Last edited by hellstar : 6th March 2009 at 09:56. Reason: typo correction
Old 6th March 2009, 10:17   #1788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
How come the police do not book case on the truck driver as he is driving without lights?? that is also an offence right>?
Exactly what i felt as well! Trucks with no lights on the highway/roads are disasters waiting to happen. Add tractors as well to the equation.

RIP to the deceased.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:29   #1789
BHPian

I have constantly been complaining about how people take the right most lane to have been constructed by their ancestors and go along at their own pace holding back all the traffic in the world behind them.
Today a similar thing was happening with a maruti 800 guy (again those pesky maruti guys, ive already been banged by one at a signal ) who was crawling on the right most lane and all the guys behind m were honking away. So I had no choice left but to overtake on the left cause this guy wouldnt move over inspite of my constant honking and flashing the headlight at him, and there were some 3 guys happily walking in the middle of the road. I didnt have enough space to cut through and my left side RVM banged on of the guys on his hand shattering the glass. The assembly is fine and fortunately so is the guy whos hand I hit. Imagine my shock when the maruti guy pulls over and comes and apologises for not making way. The 3 or 4 cars behind me also stopped then and a couple of them started shouting at the maruti driver for causing the havoc. While I know I was mistaken for having to overtake on the left, can I be blamed completely for what happened? I keep telling people about how so many accidents happen cause people are being forced to overtake on the left because of guys not giving way to overtake, and on the left there are pedestrians on the middle of the lane, and guys who park their bikes randomly with no care for other peoples safety. Though it was not a major thing, I am still shaken up by the incident, and not to mention that I will be at loss paying for the new glass (and hopefully the assembly will be fine else it will cost me 3 times more).

And having just read the previous posts regarding the verna accident properly - Sad, very sad. Its unfortunate that good deeds can turn out to be so horribly wrong in the end. And that the truck guys get to go away scot free? Thats even worse. A lot of rickshaw drivers and bikes also ride in the city limits itself with out lights. I sincerely believe that that is also dangerous. Like how the other day the 2 way flyover near my house was closed for traffic on one side. Some foolish lady on a scooty had borken through the barrier and she headed right towards me. I was alert enough to swerve away else I know that I would have killed her. She had her daughter behind her, and no headlight on, and no helmet on either.
Folks, as of this day I am officially scared to drive my car in India. As disciplined and a good driver as we maybe, the chances of suffering are just way too high.

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 6th March 2009 at 10:40.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:15   #1790
Senior - BHPian

check this article about 3 people killed in a 160 kmph verna crdi crash

Article Window
Old 6th March 2009, 15:47   #1791
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Holy cow that Verna has become a convertible. I can only imagine the force of impact when they ran WHAM headon into a truck. Obviously, adrenalin was flying high and hot tempers could be blamed for this accident. I doubt they were doing 160 as they'd be side by side with the Alto. And the Alto doesn't touch a 160.

Very sad. And the Alto did get away.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:56   #1792
Team-BHP Support

I just hope the the poor truck driver is not booked under "Rash and Negligent driving"
Old 6th March 2009, 16:11   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Verna look's too bad. Nothing seems to be left in the body part from front and top. poor driver...
Old 6th March 2009, 16:18   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Verna vs Alto - what a cruel twist in the tale!
Old 6th March 2009, 16:29   #1795
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Sorry dude, but those are indeed Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's. The Maxxis have smaller more smaller treads.
It's not an Eagle F1, 100%. The F1s have 2 small shoulder sipes between each large diagonal sipe. These Q7 tyres have just one. However, I was wrong, it doesn't appear to be the MA-Z1 either.

Last edited by v1p3r : 6th March 2009 at 16:31.
Old 6th March 2009, 16:50   #1796
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
OT:
It's not an Eagle F1, 100%. The F1s have 2 small shoulder sipes between each large diagonal sipe. These Q7 tyres have just one. However, I was wrong, it doesn't appear to be the MA-Z1 either.
aha!

Goodjob v1p3r.
That is what i had noticed as well a few days back.

However, i followed the link provided by SS-traveller in post#1778 and it said :

Quote:
The legacy lives on: Goodyear launches new ultra-high-performance Eagle F1 GS-D3 SUV tyre

Audi chooses the new Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 SUV tyre as original equipment fitment to its luxury Audi Q7 SUV.
So i assumed that the SUV version has this slightly different pattern.

cya
R
Old 6th March 2009, 16:58   #1797
BANNED

This proves Verna doesn't make a good pursuit vehicle.

What a way to end life ! Verna occupants qualify for The Darwin Awards
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Verna vs Alto - what a cruel twist in the tale!
Old 6th March 2009, 17:34   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
aha!

Goodjob v1p3r.
That is what i had noticed as well a few days back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
No, because from the looks of it she's been fitted with tyres meant for Cars rather then much heavier SUV's. It's not very clear but from the looks of it, she's on Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's (could be wrong though, need higher-res pics for a definitive identification).
I was not sure either & had mentioned that in my earlier post.
Old 6th March 2009, 18:11   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I just hope the the poor truck driver is not booked under "Rash and Negligent driving"
He is not. Police has booked a case against Mr. Rana for "Rash and Negligent driving" who was driving Verna.

When will people understand our city roads are not meant for high speed driving let alone wild chases. You can get a Truck/Lorry/Car/Bus/Cows/Buffalo/Cyclewallahs/Rickshaws/Bikers/Children from anywhere anytime in front of you without any warning and high speeding no matter which car even if you survive car is doomed.

Verna doesn't have airbags and looking at the after impact pics i dont think they would have helped in anyway.

Last edited by harry10 : 6th March 2009 at 18:16.
Old 6th March 2009, 19:07   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Obviously, adrenalin was flying high and hot tempers could be blamed for this accident.
Iam sure this is the primary reason for most of the accidents that happens. Adrenalin rush is the right word than poor judgment, as people in spite of knowing it's very hard to complete overtake, they take a chance purely due to reasons highlighted

Most Viewed