Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2015, 22:42   #18106
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Another report of the accident in Times Of India - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...w/47915615.cms
Old 2nd July 2015, 23:31   #18107
Senior - BHPian

Actress Hema Malini's car involved in Accident :
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/one-d...njuries-777653

Mercedes crashed with Alto.

Article :
Quote:
JAIPUR: A child has died in an accident between politician Hema Malini's Mercedes and a Maruti Alto in Rajasthan today. The BJP leader's car was speeding, said a police official.

Another child is among four others who were in the Alto and have been hospitalised. Hema Malini is not seriously hurt.

"I am being told the Mercedes was speeding. It drove over the divider," said senior police officer Rajinder Tyagi to NDTV from Dausa, where the accident took place, about 60 km from the state capital of Jaipur.

The actor-turned-politician, 66, was treated for minor injuries in a Jaipur hospital. Staff said she walked in unaided and received a few stitches near her nose.

Hema Malini represents Mathura in Parliament. She was headed from her constituency to Jaipur, when the accident took place.
One child in Alto lost life. Unfortunately, all media articles focus on health of actress, but very few reports on the condition of Alto occupants.
Images from : https://twitter.com/ANI_news
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-actress-ci7h_3qveaaunt3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-actress-ci7j2nquaaazmwf.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-actress-ci7qg3exaaahman.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 2nd July 2015 at 23:35.
Old 2nd July 2015, 23:38   #18108
BHPian

Another likely case where no one was wearing seatbelts. Hema Maljni hit her head somewhere in the car as she was likely not belted. The poor girl who perished wasn't likely to be belted and the other injured people in the Alto are unlikely to have been using the seatbelts. This is especially true of back seat passengers in India. The police and the politicians should create awareness about the use of seatbelts and the danger of having children standing around and playing in cars. In fact the insurance companies should refuse any payout for injuries for non belted passengers and criminal charges should be levied against drivers (and maybe even passengers) if a non belted child is injured or killed in a collision.
Lobogris is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 02:11   #18109
BHPian

I received a pic of a 2015 white Busa that met with an accident on the Blore-Kolar road earlier this week. The bike was in pieces and unfortunately so was the rider.
Does anyone have any info on this?
Old 3rd July 2015, 08:51   #18110
Senior - BHPian

Agreed - though by indian standards this is a rather utopian wish.

Just to add - For a four year old kid, seat belt won't be adequate, you need a child seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Another likely case where no one was wearing seatbelts. Hema Maljni hit her head somewhere in the car as she was likely not belted. The poor girl who perished wasn't likely to be belted and the other injured people in the Alto are unlikely to have been using the seatbelts. This is especially true of back seat passengers in India. The police and the politicians should create awareness about the use of seatbelts and the danger of having children standing around and playing in cars. In fact the insurance companies should refuse any payout for injuries for non belted passengers and criminal charges should be levied against drivers (and maybe even passengers) if a non belted child is injured or killed in a collision.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:50   #18111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Agreed - though by indian standards this is a rather utopian wish.

Just to add - For a four year old kid, seat belt won't be adequate, you need a child seat.
I agree a child seat is needed but even a seatbelt is better than nothing. Why do you think it is utopian to wish for awareness of seatbelts? Most nations went through this phase at some point.
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:55   #18112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree a child seat is needed but even a seatbelt is better than nothing. Why do you think it is utopian to wish for awareness of seatbelts? Most nations went through this phase at some point.
Well - all it takes is the cops finding this one yet another reason to stop and challan you when their quotas need filling up at the end of the month

Maybe a fine that is x rupees per unbelted person in the car ..
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:01   #18113
Senior - BHPian

True. No media attention for poor family in Alto! All focus on HM who I am pretty sure wasn't wearing seatbelts. Unfortunate and sad that a toddler lost her life!

I witnessed an extremely horrific accident yesterday. A middle aged man riding on his bike, waiting standstill to make a right turn on NH 58, lost his balance and fell on the road. Unfortunately, a big truck was passing by at high speed and went over the poor guy all through its rear wheels . I was taking out a meal from Subway and all this happened in split seconds, right in front of my eyes. The poor chap died then and there with his body really badly mutated (head and chest completed burst out and scattered across the road ). The truck driver didn't even notice what happened and kept driving. I sent my driver after him to stop the truck and called police control room. The highway Patrol came in after 15 mins and the truck driver was handed over to them. This being Uttar Pradesh, people gathered there in huge numbers and were shouting on the truck driver. Some even tried to beat him up. I mentioned the whole incident to the police personnel and we tried to find the identity of the deceased. He wasn't carrying any ID and we tried calling a few people from a telephone diary that he had in his pocket, through which police identified him as a resident of nearby village. By then, I was so rattled by all this and I decided to take a leave from there thinking may the deceased rest in peace. Really made me understand how a life can be gone in matter of split seconds.
Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:24   #18114
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, having been witness to "routes" for VIPs for more than 15 years (stayed on shanti path) so I can tell you this - Having a politico in the car gives you the right to speed, and expect everyone to move out of your way even if a dedicated corridor has not been cleared.
Heck, youll see this even on highways. A big(ger) white vehicle in your rearview, get out of the way.
But, the power is with the politico. If the car is moving fast, or erratically, its because of her approval, or approving silence.

A little rant,
As far as the law goes, you arent required to wear a seatbelt in the rear. I think that is because we have fantastic rear seat safety. You have the foamed seats in front to take any shock when you crash into someone. If you are hit from behind, the rear seat is supported by the parcel shelf, so it will act as a crumple zone.
Sideways, the doors are designed to let go from the bolts so that you roll out of the car, away from harm. The cops and the government know this. So there is not going to be legislation to implement seatbelts in the rear, because its not required. Our cars are NCAP 5 in the front, and IARI 9 in the back.
Plus, who uses rear seats in India. We're a nation of small families. Usually no children, if at all any, its one. He can sit in the front in the passenger's lap. Europ-ially protected(?)

Last edited by mayankk : 3rd July 2015 at 10:52.
mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:26   #18115
BHPian

Quote:
I agree a child seat is needed but even a seatbelt is better than nothing.
For four year old seat belt means, killing it by strangling! There are enough literature on net about this. Correct restraining for infant, small child is Child seat.
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:39   #18116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

A middle aged man riding on his bike, waiting standstill to make a right turn on NH 58, lost his balance and fell on the road. Unfortunately, a big truck was passing by at high speed and went over the poor guy all through its rear wheels
I just cringe at the thought of that accident.

However, is the truck driver to blame in this case (unless he was driving rashly which I do not feel given the description)? If someone feel in front of its wheels on a highway, I don't think any truck driver can avert the disaster. And it is totally possible that the truck driver did not feel anything.

It may sound unsympathetic but I feel the deceased bike driver should be booked in this case more than the truck driver.
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:49   #18117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I think that is because we have fantastic rear seat safety. You have the foamed seats in front to take any shock when you crash into someone.
You may save yourself but might kill somebody else - check out this classic video on seatbelt.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd July 2015 at 11:26. Reason: Typo.
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:13   #18118
BHPian

"The Alto driver filed an FIR with Dausa Police after the accident. A case under IPC sections 270 (ovrespeeding and reckless driving), 337 (Causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 304a (causes death of any person by doing any rash or negligent act) has been registered."

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/h.../1/448796.html

I always wonder why the accidental cases booked in our country are always one sided? Why not make the Alto driver also accused in this case as he is also equally responsible for killing the passenger in his car by ignoring safety measures.

If the other car driver was recklessly driving at higher than allowed speed then is it confirmed that the Alto driver was driving according to rules? Was he driving in correct lane?

The day law starts getting serious and starts booking both the sides in accidental cases, situation may start improving.

I keep driving on that road so I Know how dangerous the driving conditions are on that road, mostly because the locals don't pay any attention to their own safety or other's safety while using the highway. Forget about seatbelts, I would be thankful on the day when I don't encounter any erratic wrong-sider or anyone carelessly crossing the divider cuts on that road. Rather most of the divider cuts are illegal which are created by the locals for their own convenience.

I am sure the Alto guy will still not start using seatbelts or will still not pay attention on safe driving habits, neither Mrs. Hema Malini will start using seatbelts who must have been to many countries where she must have seen much better traffic sense, rules and regulations on road safety.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 3rd July 2015 at 11:20.
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:18   #18119
Distinguished - BHPian

Just my observation from pics posted. This is a toll & divided highway then how come both cars show frontal damage? Which of them was travelling in the wrong side?
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:19   #18120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
You may save yourself but might kill somebody else - check out this classic video on seatbelt.
Puns intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Just my observation from pics posted. This is a toll & divided highway then how come both cars show frontal damage? Which of them was travelling in the wrong side?
That would be the mercedes. As per the reports, it jumped the divider across, and into, the Alto.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd July 2015 at 11:26. Reason: Quoted post edited.

Most Viewed