Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2015, 13:55   #18226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkats2001 View Post
With the impact of sudden race, the scooter lost balance and the child was thrown on the road as his father applied breaks abruptly. Before anyone could pick up the child, he was crushed under wheels of a tractor passing through the road.....The passers-by caught the tractor driver immediately and handed him over to the police. A case was registered against the driver.....
What was tractor drivers fault?
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 14:05   #18227
Senior - BHPian

We the people of this land are a bunch of headless birds, running around like mad and grabbing the first person whom we can grab without any logic whatsoever.

What was the fault of the tractor driver here? Just that he was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

What about the father who actually put his son in the situation? It is he who should have been charged with homicide amongst other charges.

I hope that he made a ton of money from that 'oh so important' phone call and he can hug the bundles whenever he misses his child, that is if he remembers him at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkats2001 View Post
Unfortunate accident in Indore a couple of months back. I heard about this since I was in Indore that time:

http://www.freepressjournal.in/3-yr-...shed-to-death/

'A sheer negligence on the part of father cost a 3-year-old kid his life.
The passers-by caught the tractor driver immediately and handed him over to the police.
khoj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 15:28   #18228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
What was the fault of the tractor driver here? Just that he was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

What about the father who actually put his son in the situation? It is he who should have been charged with homicide amongst other charges.
Welcome to India and the laws of the land. Arrest the driver of the bigger vehicle or less damaged vehicle. The actual crime or guilt is of lesser importance.

Its high time that the government mandates that the front and back DVR are included in all powered vehicles, along with other instrumentation that stores various parameters like acceleration, speed, direction of travel, the coordinates , and any other ECU information required for later analysis to prove who is innocent or guilty.
Old 10th July 2015, 15:55   #18229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Its high time that the government mandates that the front and back DVR are included in all powered vehicles, along with other instrumentation that stores various parameters like acceleration, speed, direction of travel, the coordinates, and any other ECU information required for later analysis to prove who is innocent or guilty.
Isn't that a bit ambitious when vehicles freely run without even working head/tail/brake lights?

Our problem with traffic as well as so many other issues is not lack of legislation. Just its effective implementation. Take the simple examples of driving with low beam and adhering to lane discipline, which I am pretty sure would contribute to a large extent in ensuring road safety.
NowNew7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 17:54   #18230
Senior - BHPian

3-Year-Old Gets Run Over by Car and Survives, scary video. Really surprising that how a 3 year old is left to roam around on a busy road :(. And the car driver didnt noticed, i do not think the kid was in blind spot or something.

http://www.ndtv.com/cities/caught-on...urvives-779840
Rahulkool is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 20:47   #18231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really surprising that how a 3 year old is left to roam around on a busy road :(. And the car driver didnt noticed, i do not think the kid was in blind spot or something.
Take the parents to the ditches. Holy dash i cannot believe this happened. And the driver i can assure had no clue for he was not seeing at the front of the car. More so i have a feeling he was probably turning back and answering the lady who got into the car

These are very scary and as a parent i am reminded why its so important to see 360 deg before i start moving my car.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 09:55   #18232
BHPian

Hi,

This happened right in front of me, while returning from work, yesterday evening in Bangalore, the roads were wet after a downpour, It was shocking to see how less control the bikers have on such roads, if they have to brake hard.

http://t.co/kE01pgzoLm.

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 10:25   #18233
Senior - BHPian

The first biker seems to have touched the rear of the swift he was so closely following. The speeds alone don't look so fast to warrant a skid and fall, but the condition of the tyres and brakes will also play a huge part. With only two patches of rubber keeping one on the road, the tyres must be replaced as soon as possible, especially in monsoons.
Old 11th July 2015, 10:32   #18234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The first biker seems to have touched the rear of the swift he was so closely following. The speeds alone don't look so fast to warrant a skid and fall, but the condition of the tyres and brakes will also play a huge part. With only two patches of rubber keeping one on the road, the tyres must be replaced as soon as possible, especially in monsoons.
The second "biker" , actually Eco commuter, simply doesn't know how to ride. Watch the video closely, he presses his rear brakes, to slow down, in the wet. This is what caused his rear tyre to slide away leading to his fall. When will these guys learn, on a bike first use the front brake and if required use the rear brake.
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 10:43   #18235
Senior - BHPian

This danger always lurks in gearless bikes. I learnt this the hard way once. I am used to riding geared bike and my my wife has a scooty. Once she told the bike is not starting and I went to check out the problem. Like every one else once I start my geared bike usually I put the bike in neutral and raise RPMs specially in cold conditions. For a moment I forgot that scooty was gearless with out neutral and raised the throttle inadvertently once I kick started the bike. The bike surged forward and hit the wall and I had bruises all over may arms.

Last edited by poloman : 11th July 2015 at 10:45.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 14:45   #18236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The first biker seems to have touched the rear of the swift he was so closely following.
Maintaining adequate vehicle separation depending on speed, road condition and weather is rarely known topic somewhere up there in the stratosphere along with where the low beam toggle is located...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
This danger always lurks in gearless bikes. I learnt this the hard way once. I am used to riding geared bike and my my wife has a scooty. Once she told the bike is not starting and I went to check out the problem. Like every one else once I start my geared bike usually I put the bike in neutral and raise RPMs specially in cold conditions. For a moment I forgot that scooty was gearless with out neutral and raised the throttle inadvertently once I kick started the bike. The bike surged forward and hit the wall and I had bruises all over may arms.
I had an interesting experience once riding a Luna which was uniquely modified by my friend. He had a palm injury and could not grab the accelerator, so he threaded the wire through the front brake lever instead (like it is on dune buggies). I was able to adjust to it and ride, but while about to finally park had to brake suddenly and grabbed both levers as used to on other 2 wheeler... end result rear wheel slipped from under me! Thanks fully was at very slow speed and corrected immediately so just a huge scare and no injuries

Last edited by ampere : 11th July 2015 at 16:14. Reason: Please stick to 2 smilies per post. Thanks
NowNew7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 17:45   #18237
Senior - BHPian

Certainly seems like a blind spot issue to me. Just see the height of the bonnet and the kids height. The mother should be taken to task... See the way she is blissfully heading away without bothering about the kid way behind.
Old 11th July 2015, 19:38   #18238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
3-Year-Old Gets Run Over by Car and Survives, scary video. Really surprising that how a 3 year old is left to roam around on a busy road :(. And the car driver didnt noticed, i do not think the kid was in blind spot or something.

http://www.ndtv.com/cities/caught-on...urvives-779840
Holy Cow! I cannot believe that a Mom did this. It is a miracle the girl survived. The parents should be taken to task on this.

No one would willingly run over someone, but looking at the distance, the driver was careful, he could have easily seen the girl. Pretty sure he wasn't paying any attention.

The screenshot is at 10 secs on the video.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ndtv.jpg  

pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 19:46   #18239
CDM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
No one would willingly run over someone, but looking at the distance, the driver was careful, he could have easily seen the girl. Pretty sure he wasn't paying any attention.

A small child on the passenger side can be easily hidden from the driver's view, particularly if the driver is short. Many times you have people hitting kerbs or other obstacles because of this.

CDM
CDM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 01:37   #18240
Senior - BHPian

^^^Very true. Also its difficult to gauge distances from video/photo... so I'd not draw any concrete conclusion from the screenshot posted above. A short driver would definitely make things worse. I guess all or at least most of us drivers know this to be an issue. That's why I used to be super careful when having my (low height) doggie with me on the street.

Whats more, I have often seen the tendency of parents to blame the driver totally for their own negligence. Many parents seem to think their child has a birthright to be anywhere on the road and any mishap is always the driver's responsibility.

Most Viewed