Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2015, 13:10   #18541
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I think the last point- " NOT KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE", is the the most common cause.
Not knowing how to drive but thinking we do know is the worst combination.

"Nothing will happen..." and, most days it doesn't. Until it does. At the very least, we should try to learn from the near misses.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 10:19   #18542
Senior - BHPian

Prima facie I agree with the bold underlined text (emphasis mine) but did you see the accident happen in front of your eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A grim reminder on the perils of tailgating, absence of underrun protection bars, and in general, not knowing how to drive.
So - Uh, I'm not so comfortable with this conclusion.

Without a firsthand view, its unfair to tarnish someone on social media who in likelihood is either not around or is not fit enough to defend oneself.

I'm not sure we can have perfect hindsight to distinguish a one-off mistake from "not knowing how to drive". Even the best of batsmen once in a blue moon, get out on the first ball they face in an innings.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 15:33   #18543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I managed to stop since I was around 90 kmph. All 3 people were safe with minor cuts to one of them.
This is video captured on my dash cam.
Thanks for the insights and the precious Video. NC sorry to ask, were they able to turn the CAR upright and resume driving ?

Do you keep the dashcam ON all the time?
Old 30th August 2015, 17:42   #18544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not knowing how to drive but thinking we do know is the worst combination.

"Nothing will happen..." and, most days it doesn't. Until it does. At the very least, we should try to learn from the near misses.

Very well put. I was driving to Hyd one day with a very close relative of mine. He was like I was too slow a driver as I was doing 100 on blr Hyd road in my Palio stile 1.6. He was boasting of diving at 160 in an i10 and that he was known among his circles for his quick manoeuvres! I cannot imagine 160 in an i10 any day anywhere. In India, for me, that speed is not acceptable in any car. Hope sense prevails without learning the hard way for him. "Nothing will happen" phrase reminded me of this incident. This is what you get to hear when you attempt to talk sense.
chakri400 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 17:47   #18545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Very tragic indeed. Now what about the fate of the kid who survived the accident. I pray to god to give him the strength and courage to move on in life. What time of the day/night did the accident take place??. Did it occur on the 2 lane stretch of the NH??

Thanks for the prayers! He has good support system in terms of finances and family. There is nothing that can replace parents for a kid though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
That is quite tragic indeed and tears roll down from my eyes as I think of that kid. And I read that one Mr.Venkatrami Reddy is injured and is undergoing treatment and looks like he's the Grand dad of the child, not sure though !

I hope at least he survives and would not leave the child to his fate !

His maternal grand parents are around and would probably take kid's responsibility now. Yes, tragic... Very tragic.
Old 30th August 2015, 20:50   #18546
Senior - BHPian

Saw this in today's news paper. The one inside the red circle was the two wheeler driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-helmet.jpg  

arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 22:58   #18547
BHPian

I would assume that the helmet saved his face from being part of the bus' license plate/taillight assembly.
Old 31st August 2015, 00:02   #18548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Saw this in today's news paper. The one inside the red circle was the two wheeler driver.

This pic doesn't make sense. How could an activa make that big a gash in a bus and still remain in one piece. This ones photoshopped dude. No way that can happen. It's beyond insane. No offense. Someone's playin' here
Old 31st August 2015, 00:14   #18549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
This pic doesn't make sense. How could an activa make that big a gash in a bus and still remain in one piece. This ones photoshopped dude. No way that can happen. It's beyond insane. No offense. Someone's playin' here
Maybe that part of the bus just had a sheet of metal as the rear panel without any reinforcement. Hence the activa was able to cut into it. Though it has made a hole, the frame of the activa would have been bent badly due to the hit. The front fenders of the activa indicate the same.

Though I do believe that there could be something fishy, given the kind of stuff circulated in social media, this one is not impossible.
Old 31st August 2015, 00:23   #18550
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe the hole was there before he drove into it? How else would have nice neat lines and square corners?

Can we have, at least, a translation of the Malayalam, please? And what's missing of the rest of coverage?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 31st August 2015 at 00:24.
Old 31st August 2015, 01:30   #18551
BHPian

Quote:
Very tragic indeed. Now what about the fate of the kid who survived the accident. I pray to god to give him the strength and courage to move on in life.
They happen to be my relatives. Yes it's very tragic incident.

Occupants of the Car:
Son and his Wife (along with 10 yr old kid who has survived)
Son's Father and mother

Survivor's: Son's Father Mr.VenkataRami Reddy and his grand child. He's currently undergoing treatment in Vellore CMC hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
That is quite tragic indeed and tears roll down from my eyes as I think of that kid. And I read that one Mr.Venkatrami Reddy is injured and is undergoing treatment and looks like he's the Grand dad of the child, not sure though !

I hope at least he survives and would not leave the child to his fate !
He's recovering. He has another son and daughter and the surviving child would be under his Uncle's care.
Old 31st August 2015, 10:41   #18552
BHPian

"Six die as coracle capsizes in Hogenakkal" - The Hindu
Old 31st August 2015, 10:50   #18553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
"Six die as coracle capsizes in Hogenakkal" - The Hindu
I don't know how far this is true. Years back i came across this news that the coracle riding in Hogennakal is deliberately tampered with so that the occupants meet a watery grave.
The boatmen know the actual spot where the bodies would be. They would then charge an exorbitant amount from the relatives of the dead. The relatives would have no other choice as they want the bodies to perform the last rites.

I came across this piece of info when i stayed in Hosur during my bachelor days.
Old 31st August 2015, 11:00   #18554
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know how far this is true.
The safety norms are always ignored at Hogenakkal especially during coracle rides. I also heard that coracle services been suspended temporarily.
Old 31st August 2015, 11:04   #18555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Can we have, at least, a translation of the Malayalam, please?
Says where it happened and how helmet saved his life and he was taken to hospital for minor injuries.
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks