Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2015, 13:48   #18601
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

@Thad, I have been guilty of driving fast (not rash) to discourage another vehicle from cutting across in front of me for various reasons - though I have managed to avoid getting into a situation from which one could only come out on a stretcher. Other drivers have, at times, tried to discourage me from cutting into their path for similar reasons. I can definitely say most drivers do this to ensure they get the right of way where there are no rules to define the same. So if that's what happened in the case of the said accident, it could have just been a couple of seconds of delay, a wrong calculation on the part of the car driver or the bus driver, both being perfectly awake.

One can of course speculate, but to claim something as the absolute and irrefutable truth when one hasn't even access to anything but a few photos - that is a little too much.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 14:21   #18602
Senior - BHPian

I use to do this. Deter other people in cutting across in my lane. Not anymore. There is no point. Only boils my blood and messes my mood. For every sane driver there are 2 morons on our road. How many can we stop? So, now as soon as I see someone driving rashly I give them the way to go ahead. Some day they will learn it the hard way the error of their ways. But, I am not gonna spoil my peace of mind. People still don't understand the difference between driving fast and driving rash.
harry10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 17:59   #18603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Attachment 1410989

Attachment 1410990

If not tyre marks, what are these patches? They do look like tyre marks to me.

Have you ever been in a situation where you are blissfully driving in the right lane (even within the prescribed speed limits of 60-80 kmph on major roads/highways), and a bus or a truck in the left lane decides to ignore your presence and your signals and your honks and decides to occupy the right lane for their own perverse reasons? We do not reduce speed till the last moment trying to discourage the heavy vehicle driver from entering the right lane - in most cases the driver backs off. Where he decides to be obstinate, this is what could happen. The bus is clearly at an angle to the right-most kerb, which indicates it may not have been going straight ahead of the car. It could be moving from the left lane to the right one and could have disregarded the warnings of the car driver. The car driver might not have anticipated this and carried on without braking, only to realize at the very end that the bus driver didn't intend to back off, and rammed into the bus. This is another possibility as against the driver having dozed off.

Once again, an appeal to all: We weren't there, we do not "know" what happened. Please desist from making comments such as "clear case of xyz" when we are only looking at photos of what happened. Some may claim that reconstructing an accident is an exact science but I am sure none of us practise it or can practise it without access to eyewitnesses, victims and other forensic data.

I chuckled to see those photos, although the owners surely haven't! Can you explain the burning car, by the way? It seems just a bit weird to see a vehicle burning right by the sea shore.
This is a result of having a car delivering more than 25 kmpl with the help of low rolling resistance tires. I always wondered why Tata does not supplies its zest with 165 section tyres like the swift which could result in Zest giving 25 kmpl and this might be the possible reason.
Old 7th September 2015, 01:06   #18604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalytuned View Post
This is a result of having a car delivering more than 25 kmpl with the help of low rolling resistance tires. I always wondered why Tata does not supplies its zest with 165 section tyres like the swift which could result in Zest giving 25 kmpl and this might be the possible reason.
Ah, so you have decided that the accident is a result of tyres offering low resistance. And I expect you have all the evidence to back up your decision too. *sigh* Case closed.
honeybee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 10:44   #18605
BHPian

Those certainly seems tyre marks indicating that the driver indeed did brake. But seeing how far the car is inside the bus, I wonder what would be the speed of the car to dive so deep inside the bus despite hard braking !

I am not trying to assign blame here to any party, but seeing the junction (which the car driver may not have been aware of, if he was concentrating on getting ahead of the bus/avoiding it) and also the bus which could have been doing slow speeds if it was indeed turning (although I have seen bus drivers rush full speed into the turn only to brake hard), I think a miscalculation (although a major one) on part of both the bus driver and the car driver would be the cause here.

The bus driver must have seen the car approaching at speed but maybe he was expecting the car to slow down while on the other hand, the car driver maybe expected to pass before the bus, we can only speculate.
Old 7th September 2015, 14:45   #18606
Senior - BHPian

Another accident on the BETL - going towards EC. Thankfully was able to clear quite quickly - this was around 1:10 in the afternoon today.

Bike, Etios and an Indica. By my glance, I thought the bike had hit the Etios from behind - quite a hard hit. Maybe this was due to Etios braking suddenly and hard from some maneuver by the Indica?

No, all my suppositions.
Old 7th September 2015, 14:58   #18607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalytuned View Post
Somehow, your logic and your handle do not compliment each other. By this logic there should be hundreds of bikes ramming into something or other everyday.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 16:36   #18608
Distinguished - BHPian

Drivers need to realize that 'right of way' is not a right that is granted by the constitution. 'Right of way' is a right granted by the driver of the other vehicle.

Until people grasp this, there will be some accidents where two parties each have an opportunity to back out of it, but each of them are too pig-headed/egoistic to do so; resulting in a noisy and painful meeting of metal.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 18:18   #18609
Senior - BHPian

I am guessing those tyre marks are from a jammed rear left tyre. Because the right tyre hasn't seemed to have any tyre marks at all.

Whatever be the case, just goes to show that a little patience goes a long way. Especially in a country like ours with so much congestion.

Wait, wait for 30 seconds until the person crosses if you have to. Do this even 20 times a day and you've only lost 10 minutes. It's completely worth it. I have seen what it's like when a family loses someone who is dear to them. Being safe and patient on the roads; it is the least we owe to those who care for us.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 23:39   #18610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Drivers need to realize that 'right of way' is not a right that is granted by the constitution. 'Right of way' is a right granted by the driver of the other vehicle.
That's contrary to the meaning of right. Right of way for a vehicle, in certain given circumstances, at least, should be defined by the laws.

But law aside, I absolutely take your point that expecting to be given your right of way, and acting accordingly, can hurt. My dad's rhyme, which he taught me when I was old enough to walk on roads....

He was right, dead right, as he toddled along,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

I was on a roundabout recently, watching a truck about to join it. I said to my wife, "I wonder if that guy knows he is supposed to give way to us?" He didn't. And I was prepared for that.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th September 2015 at 23:42.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 01:23   #18611
Senior - BHPian

From countless trips across India, I have only learnt one thing. Forget what the rule book says, forget what common sense says, forget everything what anyone says, at any given point of time on the highway, you should have a safe exit plan from any situation, either a truck barging into your lane, or a biker coming out from an exit without looking. Drive only at such speeds, where in you can change the situation in mere seconds.

I have been guilty of doing break neck speeds on the highway for many years BUT now the maximum my car touches is 90 - 100, after that my speedo ends, mental torque tapers off and blood pressure rises.

I have seen too many crashes happen on the highway by people doing 130-140's to be sucked into this bandwagon anymore. A trip is fun, only if its enjoyed with some music, laughts and some corners taken on empty roads at sane speeds. Rest is all excess baggage.
humyum is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 06:30   #18612
BHPian

This thread is one of the main reasons I have reduced my speed on the roads to never cross a self imposed 90-95 on the highways ( and that too only on straight stretches with very clear visibility. Started using the maps on the phone as well to plan overtaking only on clear straight stretches. Mileage on the highways has improved as well due to staying in my (self imposed) speed limit and in 5th gear. Stress level and tiredness on arrival have also reduced because of the reduced speed.
I keep reading this thread (have created a subscription) to remind myself on a daily basis that one needs to be alert, within the limits of driver and vehicle and always be ready for tackling unexpected situations on the roads. Have never preferred driving at night and refuse to do long highway trips at night/in poor visibility conditions. Multiple breaks also have helped.
sjcherian is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 13:37   #18613
Senior - BHPian

BMTC Volvo rear-ended a tractor trailer today morning in front of Hotel Fortune, near Graphite junction

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/whit...4349533989649/
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 17:26   #18614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
but rather an accident waiting to happen. Let me explain..
..They called themselves Team GTB (Goldtown Bikers).
Happened to see their photographs in which the faces of all of them are visible. Perhaps the two drag racers can be identified and reported to BTP? The two Dukes in question are clearly visible in the photographs too.
I can post/share the link of the photographs if needed.

As I was going through their photos, I was appalled at how they have literally occupied all the lanes of the Airport Expressway just for the sake of a prospective display picture! Many instances of this nonsense occuring.

In another, they've blocked the traffic from behind, the BMTC Airport Bus as well, and unaware of the harassment they're causing to travellers (many in a rush maybe!), they're riding on posing for the camera.

About time they changed their name from Goldtown Bikers to Goldtown Squids.
What a disgrace to the avid motorcycling community.

Last edited by barcalad : 9th September 2015 at 17:31.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 18:14   #18615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Somehow, your logic and your handle do not compliment each other. By this logic there should be hundreds of bikes ramming into something or other everyday.
of course they are. One rain and you can see splendors and activas on the roadside or slipping/skidding their way to glory. Skinny lost cost tyres play a big part in negating safety of the vehicle. Regarding the swift/dezire the car does come with extremely skinny rubber due fuel economy considerations and at high speeds can be a handful to control. If the current accident is because of skinny tyres alone? doubtful

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks