Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 20:09   #18811
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The Alto driver is a novice and has no nerve at all!
I cannot believe that it was solely the biker that made him crash.
Such hazards are common on Indian roads. The Alto driver simply lacks the experience to handle them.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 20:50   #18812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The Alto driver is a novice and has no nerve at all!
I cannot believe that it was solely the biker that made him crash.
Such hazards are common on Indian roads. The Alto driver simply lacks the experience to handle them.
Enough of judging people. It's an accident, unexpected and unfortunate. God forbid, no one should be in any such situations. If that Alto driver continued on his track, and hit the handlebar of that rider, again there will be people on this thread blaming the Alto guy, but differently.

Let this thread be used for its sole purpose of sharing the news.
Old 5th October 2015, 21:06   #18813
Senior - BHPian

That Alto driver gets no sympathy from me. Firstly he seems to be driving all over the road himself, secondly he doesn't seem to be very alert; the biker was going pretty slowly and such a drastic move was quite unnecessary IMO

Reminds me of an incident years back when we bought the Kizashi and were doing a road trip to Kochi for the Muziris Bienalle. That was the first time I drove on Kerala's silly so called national highways with only two lanes and steep shoulders. There was an Alto overtaking an oncoming bus, the bus was going pretty fast and the Alto was clearly out of its comfort zone. After flashing my lights at him, I was surprised to see him aggressively flashing his lights back at me. When I realized that this fool was too committed to completing this maneuver and had no intention of slowing down (By this time I was near dead stop), I was forced to go off the road, scraping the brand new car's belly on the steep shoulder. I made the maneuver in the nick of time and the Alto driver ended up grazing my ORVM. To this day I absolutely detest Kerala's highways and the attitude some folks carry while using them.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th October 2015 at 21:08.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 21:23   #18814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Enough of judging people. It's an accident, unexpected and unfortunate. ... ... ...
Wait... overtaking on a blind corner is not accidental, it is criminal. The Alto might have suffered less in more experienced hands, but those hands did not commit crime: the biker did.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 21:36   #18815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post

It's an accident, unexpected and unfortunate.

Enough of judging people.... Let this thread be used for its sole purpose of sharing the news.
Reminds me of the wise old Master Oogway's saying- "There are no accidents".
Holds true in every sense.

I agree for the second part of your post though.
The Alto driver might be a poor driver, but his intentions were to avoid the biker. Also, a dashcam doesn't exactly give you an exact portrayal of the terrain or the gaps, does it?

Let's not be too harsh.
schakravarthy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 21:37   #18816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wait... overtaking on a blind corner is not accidental, it is criminal. The Alto might have suffered less in more experienced hands, but those hands did not commit crime: the biker did.
No, I didn't aim at (comments) judging the biker, but the Alto.

I don't think Alto was speeding, true he was quite impatient, and who is not?Perhaps OP can suggest what speed he was following the Alto, that will give us a good idea.
With that fraction of seconds, I doubt if Kimi would have done better. IMO Alto did what it can, but an Audi there can do much better with ABS, EBD and all those gizmos. Having said that, a fool with a tool is still a fool. Definitely not aimed at the Alto driver

Last edited by sgmitr13 : 5th October 2015 at 21:42.
Old 5th October 2015, 21:43   #18817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...: the biker did.
And any Indian that does not firmly grasp this fact about Indian roads will not elicit any sympathy from me!
We are discussing specifics here, not general good practice as followed elsewhere.
Old 5th October 2015, 22:27   #18818
Distinguished - BHPian

Points taken.

Frankly, If I had been driving the Alto, I think I would have smashed the left side of the car or, worse, not avoided the biker.
Old 5th October 2015, 22:56   #18819
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught on my dashcam this afternoon, at the crossing next to the Gymkhana Club / opposite the Air Force Station, New Delhi.

Watch the scooter to the left of the screen. Who do you think is at fault here - the scooterist or the driver of the Swift?
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 23:03   #18820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Who do you think is at fault here - the scooterist or the driver of the Swift?
Both.
Scooter - for being in the left most lane(which he made for himself) while he had to cross the intersection
Car - for turning blind and abrupt.
Horizon81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 23:05   #18821
BHPian

Quote:
Caught on my dashcam this afternoon, at the crossing next to the Gymkhana Club / opposite the Air Force Station, New Delhi.

Watch the scooter to the left of the screen. Who do you think is at fault here - the scooterist or the driver of the Swift?
Both. The swift is indicating a turn and the scooterist still pushes on, so he is at fault. Given that this is India, the swift failed to look at his left ORVM / over the shoulder, so he is at fault too
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 23:05   #18822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Definitely the driver of the Swift. I absolutely detest nuts who don't use their ORVMs (looks like his left ORVM is folded shut). Whenever they make silly maneuvers like this, I drive up to them to see if their mirrors are folded shut and then proceed to put the windows down and request a mate sitting next to me to extend his arm and open the fool's mirror and tell him to use the goddamn thing

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th October 2015 at 12:17. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 23:09   #18823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Both.
Scooter - for being in the left most lane(which he made for himself) while he had to cross the intersection
Car - for turning blind and abrupt.
Most humbly, I would beg to differ. From what is visible, I think Swift had its indicators on, so that's not an abrupt turn for sure. It is the responsibility of Two-wheeler rider to remain alert of other vehicles' indication when they are making a lane of their own. Of course I believe a better adjustment of ORVMS to eradicate blind spots would have helped.

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 23:16   #18824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Most humbly, I would beg to differ. From what is visible, I think Swift had its indicators on, so that's not an abrupt turn for sure. It is the responsibility of Two-wheeler rider to remain alert of other vehicles' indication when they are making a lane of their own. Of course I believe a better adjustment of ORVMS to eradicate blind spots would have helped.

Regards
Perhaps this may be valid in other countries but this is India. Where people fit into every gap they can find, and idiots like that in the Swift, have no qualms in remaining oblivious to their surroundings. Having been a car guy all my life annoyed by most two-wheelers, I recently learnt how to ride a bike, and I can say that bikers are not allowed to used the roads as cars are. Do you honestly really think any car would let the scooter hog the lane behind the Swift? Fact of the matter is that it is perfectly normal for the scooter to have been where it was and using the indicator does not give the driver of the swift, the right to turn or switch lanes before looking to see what is around him.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th October 2015 at 23:19.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 23:25   #18825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
atch the scooter to the left of the screen. Who do you think is at fault here - the scooterist or the driver of the Swift?
Obviously in any sane world its the scooter who decides to ignore the blinkers. But in India i would say partially the swift for even giving that space in the first place.

It almost appears to be a decision to take left at the last moment and failed to use the OVRM.

If i am taking left i would always take that space well in advance and avoid anyone squeezing inbetween road and me.

The scooter rider is probably on the phone and having an heated conversation about the move "Puli".

Most Viewed