Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2015, 08:25   #18871
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

At 8:15 this morning, on the Bangalore outer ring road after Nagawara and before the Hennur underpass (in that direction of road), a Duster has been rear ended, by a heavy vehicle. The rear hatch had taken a huge hammering with the rear windshield shattered, and the Duster is facing the wrong way. Body shell is intact. So, if the occupants were buckled up, they should be broadly fine (probably whiplash, and some cuts/bruises).

No pics, since traffic was bottle necking behind the accident, and rubber neckers on my side (towards Nagawara) were affecting traffic flow - I didn't want to contribute to the mess.

Last edited by ampere : 8th October 2015 at 10:24. Reason: Corrected typos as requested. ; Fixed one more typo.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 08:44   #18872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
At 8:15 this morning, on the Bangalore outer ring road after Nagawara and before the Hennur underpass (in that direction of road), a Duster has been rear ended, by a heavy vehicle. .
Here is a screen grab from dashcam.
Front left quarter of the Duster is also damaged.
Was driving towards Manyata and traffic was piling.
So, could not collect more details.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc1.jpg  

FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 08:52   #18873
BHPian

On the walls of Hennur underpass, towards Manyata, I noticed skid marks.
ON THE WALL

Don't know what went wrong and I posted here asking if anybody noticed any accident over last weekend. That post was moved from here to somewhere else.

Did any of you noticed as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc1.jpg  

FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 09:57   #18874
Senior - BHPian

Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post

ON THE WALL ........

Are you sure that it's skid marks? Not sure if any vehicle on Indian soil would have that kind of traction on a 90 degree wall?

It could be an out of control truck or some vehicle with large tyres that has brushed against the wall.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 10:44. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 8th October 2015, 13:38   #18875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ON THE WALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Are you sure that it's skid marks?
Doesn't it look more like paint? Not sure how it looked to the naked eye but in the picture, it looks a lot like paint.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 14:36   #18876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Doesn't it look more like paint? Not sure how it looked to the naked eye but in the picture, it looks a lot like paint.
No. It looked like proper Tyre skid marks.
As the wall is to the side [it is supposed to be], the picture is from an acute angle and also against light, it is looking like paint.
Few feet away, there is one more mark looking even more clear.

At first, I thought some vehicle carrying tires on its top would have gone at good speed and as the road is turning, the tires have ejected. But, they should fly on to the opposite wall, not onto the inner wall.
There is even a small footpath at the foot of the wall, so vehicles can not go too close to the wall either.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 16:13   #18877
Distinguished - BHPian

Last night around 11:30 - there was a smashed silver SX4 on the Eastern Freeway, close to the town-side exit.
No pics as we were on the other side, but will see if the dash cam has anything.

Location was a very odd place to meet with an accident, as it is after a series of curves where the driver ought to have slown down before he hit the final downward sloping curve.
Police were on the scene and had it cleared up by the time we were returning (20-30mins?).
Old 8th October 2015, 16:36   #18878
BHPian

Quote:
ON THE WALL

Don't know what went wrong and I posted here asking if anybody noticed any accident over last weekend. That post was moved from here to somewhere else.

I don't think they are skid marks. If I remember correctly I saw them there 4-5 years ago when I lived in Bangalore .
Old 8th October 2015, 17:15   #18879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No. It looked like proper Tyre skid marks.
As the wall is to the side [it is supposed to be], the picture is from an acute angle and also against light, it is looking like paint.
Few feet away, there is one more mark looking even more clear.
It can be a vehicle falling on its left side, slid towards the wall and the right side front wheels hit the wall at an angle since it steering would be locked to one side. The footpath would have tilted the right side of the vehicle to hit the walls.
Just assumptions from remembering how acute and fast that curve is.
In fact, before the underpass was built, there used to be trucks taking the curve fast and ending up on the service road with axle's broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I don't think they are skid marks. If I remember correctly I saw them there 4-5 years ago when I lived in Bangalore .
Hennur Underpass was open towards the end of 2012.
Old 8th October 2015, 18:02   #18880
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a smudge on your windshield glass.

If it is indeed that, then your post on this thread is in very poor taste & if it is not a smudge on your glass then ignore my remark.

Quote:
ON THE WALL

Old 8th October 2015, 23:03   #18881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
At 8:15 this morning, on the Bangalore outer ring road after Nagawara and before the Hennur underpass (in that direction of road), a Duster has been rear ended, by a heavy vehicle.
Pic from my dashcam, though FORTified's picture earlier is clearer.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-duster-rearended.jpg
Quote:
On the walls of Hennur underpass, towards Manyata, I noticed skid marks. ON THE WALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Looks like a smudge on your windshield glass. If it is indeed that, then your post on this thread is in very poor taste & if it is not a smudge on your glass then ignore my remark.
Different windshield, same marks on the wall. Comment duly ignored.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-skidmark.jpg
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 13:47   #18882
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday while coming back from office, my brother's Ritz got sandwiched between a Scorpio in front and Santro behind by the Santro fellow. The incident happened on NH8 and it involved a slow driving, busy on call Wagon R driver followed by an i20 -> Scorpio -> brother's Ritz and finally a Santro. The Wagon R fellow decides to stop without any indication which led to a chain reaction wherein i20 rammed into it followed by Scorpio rear ending the i20. My brother managed to stop his car without rear ending the Scorpio but the Santro rear ended his car with force resulting in he rear ending in standing Scorpio. The damage is mainly to the hood and rear bumper. Front bumper black portion had a few locks dislodged. Thankfully no damage inside the engine bay. Have myself given it for repairs today.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20151009_095234.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20151009_095147.jpg  

BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 14:36   #18883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The damage is mainly to the hood and rear bumper. Front bumper black portion had a few locks dislodged. Thankfully no damage inside the engine bay. Have myself given it for repairs today.
Having had a similar incident albeit at lower speeds, I can tell you that there could be some damage to the cross-member/bar that holds the hood lock, and also to the grill mounts. The rear bumper has taken the hit well, most probably you'll have a bent clamp or two and next to no damage to the metal portion behind the bumper. You're looking at ~20k worth repairs IIRC. Insist on a new bonnet though the service centres may offer you to remove the dents to save money.

Last edited by silversteed : 9th October 2015 at 14:38.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 18:15   #18884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My brother managed to stop his car without rear ending the Scorpio but the Santro rear ended his car with force resulting in he rear ending in standing Scorpio.
I was involved in a similar 6 car pile-up a couple of years ago in my Alto. Santro leading the other 5, the culprit. Rear-ended by an Accord. I had braked well in advance to avoid rear-ending the swift in front. So no damage to bonnet. As mentioned, the locking mechanism may not work properly and needs to be adjusted. I was quoted 13K by the service center. I ended up paying 1500 IIRC, rest borne by insurance (I did not have a zero-dep policy at that time. Cost went towards painting body coloured bumpers). I've had to deal with new rattles from the rear every now and then though.
Old 9th October 2015, 19:08   #18885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
What I have always done is to come to a complete stop in whatever lane I am in, have my left indicators flashing and keep looking into the left ORVM to see when I can safely make the left turn at the intersection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I am never never at any speed that you might need to worry about, and neither am I ever in the 'wrong' lane when I know I'd be taking a left somewhere soon. And if, even then, the car/bus behind me rear-ends me, hmm, I wouldn't know what to say!
Dude you are joking right? Firstly, slow or fast, no-one expects you to be stopped in the middle of a road for no reason other than technical issues that lead to your car not being able to move. Secondly, just because you didn't do your homework before making a turn, you have absolutely no right whatever to delay the course of traffic. Simply go ahead, and make a u-turn wherever possible or find an alternate route. Driving in the city is not about driving alone, it is about knowing how to share the road with other users.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 9th October 2015 at 19:10.
IshaanIan is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed