Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 20:47   #18916
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
It seems there was a very fatal accident on NICE road. Four bikers involved in an illegal drag race lost their lives. The video is being circulated on Whats app. Anyone has information regarding this ?
i did see the video. doesn't seem to be NICE. No mention about it in any paper or website. Looks like a lot of folks were waiting to see the drag race as there are multiple videos from different viewpoints.

Definitely somewhere in India, based on the language spoken in one of the videos.

am also curious to know. if you watch one of the videos closely one bike guy seems to have escaped the carnage!
Old 14th October 2015, 20:56   #18917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
i did see the video. doesn't seem to be NICE. No mention about it in any paper or website. Looks like a lot of folks were waiting to see the drag race as there are multiple videos from different viewpoints.

Definitely somewhere in India, based on the language spoken in one of the videos.

am also curious to know. if you watch one of the videos closely one bike guy seems to have escaped the carnage!
Looks like its from Indonesia, because in one video you can see them lying flat on the bike, like superman pose with hands on the handlebar.

I have seen lot of videos like that from Indonesia. Maybe I am wrong.

ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 21:24   #18918
BHPian

The above video is from Indonesia, nowhere in India. You know if it would be happened out here the news channel would have been gaga about it.
Shivanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 23:33   #18919
BHPian

This video has been posted earlier and discussed about on this thread. I've heard rumors involving Ahmedabad, Mumbai, NICE road Bangalore etc.

This happened in Malaysia and there were no casualties. Peace.

Press report
Old 15th October 2015, 08:59   #18920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Spotted this nasty accident on the ORR near Banaswadi. I passed by the place at around 6:00am and there were already a few fire trucks and a crane trying to clear the mess.
The driver was killed in this accident. He was thrown out of the cab and run over by his own truck. The cleaner too was thrown out , but injured.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-accident.html
Old 16th October 2015, 15:50   #18921
BHPian

I do not have a picture to post here showing the accident but will narrate the incident as a prime eye witness.

We were a group of 14 colleagues who on the lazy Sunday afternoon of 9 August 2015 decided to go from Baroda to Pavagarh. Two cars including mine(Rapid 1.6 TDI), a Mitsubishi Lancer and a total of Four Bikes were going on that Baroda-Halol Highway and there it all started.

The arrogant Lancer driver who used to praise himself a lot for his driving skills started as if he was driving on Autobahn and not on the undulated Baroda-Halol highway. Reckless driving, overtaking from either of the sides, abrupt braking and swerving became so prominent that one of us remarked that car is doing the death dance. We felt that he got a superiority complex where he decided to stay ahead of all of us. As soon as we started on the highway he overtook me and was in a hurry to overtake all other vehicles on the road. As none of us knew the route, so i was assigned the task of navigating and driving ahead of everyone. Few minutes after being overtaken, I was signaled to stop and was asked to lead the way. We called and asked if anybody out of 5 occupants of Lancer knew the way to which they all responded in negative. So I started again and after one minute saw the Lancer, which by now looked like it had lost it's steam, I overtook and started leading again. The Lancer driver was sure that there is no change in direction for next 20 KMS. I looked in my ORVMs and IRVM and saw his hurtling towards us. In a wink of an eye, his front bumper was about to shake hands with my rear bumper and he was honking like a devil.

We both overtook a lorry in quick succession and I flashed my lane change indicator so that I could have moved to the left and he could have overtaken me from the right, but in response of my lane change indicator this impatient man honked again and whizzed past me from the left and tried to come in front of me but could not find enough space as there was another car in front of me blocking the space for him to fit in. He panicked and swerved again to the left. The Lancer driver lost control and I could see his car prominently yawing on the road. Before anyone could have said a word, he rammed into a sedately driven Two-wheeler(Father-son duo were riding the bike) at speed North of 120 KMPH. An explosion like sound came, Lancer broke the divider which separated the highway from the pavement and by now was literally in the air. Then he hit a donkey who was grazing next to pavement. The front part of the car was in pieces, the radiator and the coolant tank broke and the coolant was spilled on the road. As it had hit a donkey as soon as he went airborne, fortunately for the 5 occupants, the car didn't turn topsy-turvy and fell down on the road in a mangled condition. Luckily, All the occupants walked out of Lancer without even a scratch.

Meanwhile, I slammed my brakes, ABS kicked in almost instantaneously and I stopped my car to the left. We all came sprinting and found the man, his son, the bike and the animal were spaced apart by more than 30 Meters each due to the impact of the collision. It appeared as if they had been fired away from a cannon barrel. Yes, we had to find out the ill-fated rider and the pillion. We immediately put them in my car and started driving back to Baroda and right then my low fuel warning blinker went on with beeps. In an extreme helpless state, I prayed to God and could murmur only one sentence "Please, not before hospital."

We drove them to Max hospital and both of them were admitted in the ICU. By evening the man was put on the ventilator. He passed away around 2300 Hrs. His son had suffered fracture in his rib cage but was saved by the doctors.

I took my car to feul station and immediately after that to the Express car wash. The blood soaked upholstery was looking horrible. The wash guy looked and told that it could not be done the same day as it would take them around 2 hours to clean it.

The concerned highway authorities took the mangled Lancer away and subsequently the driver-owner brought his Lancer back from the police station. 'How could he', is anybody's guess.

We all got to know that the deceased was a poor peasant who didn't had a driving licence and the fabricated story told to police was that the rider collided with the animal and not his car. This fellow went merciless and devilish to an extent that he even refused to settle the hospital bills.

Later, we all learnt that the Lancer was a second hand purchase from Indore worth just 60,000 INR. He poured in some money and got it repaired from a local garage and still drives it without an ounce of guilt.

Life went on for all of us, but I still feel that this was an exemplification of justice denied to a poor family. For 30-35 minutes, he was declining, loosing breath in my car.God bless his soul.
cruising_rapid is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 16:49   #18922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_rapid View Post

Life went on for all of us, but I still feel that this was an exemplification of justice denied to a poor family. For 30-35 minutes, he was declining, loosing breath in my car. God bless his soul.
RIP. This is why we need to be sure of who drives us. If any of the occupants in the Lancer would have asked to get down due to rash driving, the driver might have perhaps driven sanely. He should have come out clean about his mistake and said the truth to the police.

But the underlying urge to go ahead of everyone else caused this tragedy. Today it was the poor soul who lost his life. Tomorrow it will the driver of the Lancer.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 17:12   #18923
BHPian

Quote:
I do not have a picture to post here showing the accident but will narrate the incident as a prime eye witness.
Oh god! May the deceased soul rest in peace.

Having heard similar heart breaking incidents involving college students or young boys like me, I am always against such nuisance driving. Always get the tagline of slow driver, boring etc. But I know what my responsibility is. I am always the one driving my car as I can trust only myself if my friends are concerned.

For the same reason, though I myself don't drink, I also don't allow drunk people inside my car even if he/she is my best friend. No one knows what trouble they can cause when not in senses.

And another killer on the roads is the EGO. I always leave my ego packed inside locker at home and forget the password. Best way to deal with other egoistic is to satisfy their ego. Let them win. Even if they realise their mistake of showing ego, they would not accept it again because of their ego.

Last edited by Ashir : 16th October 2015 at 17:18.
Ashir is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 17:38   #18924
BHPian

Quote:
Life went on for all of us, but I still feel that this was an exemplification of justice denied to a poor family. For 30-35 minutes, he was declining, loosing breath in my car.God bless his soul.
I am sorry if you find this curt but this is what I feel after reading your post. While you did the right thing by taking that man and his son to hospital, it doesn't absolve you of the crime you committed by staying quiet despite being an eye-witness. We all keep cribbing about the horrible justice system in our country and then witness educated people staying quiet because of fear or other compulsions.
Biraj is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 17:41   #18925
Senior - BHPian

Sad to say but your post perfectly summarizes the value of a human life in India.
But we all forget that it could be any one of us tomorrow.
Won't this incident help as an adding to the confidence of the Lancer driver who will reassure himself that he can get away with anything anytime he wants.
I am disturbed as well as shaken by this post or rather by the 'Naked Truth' it shows.
If even a guy driving 60K car can gets away with murder without any iota of punishment or penalty so easily, then why do we all complain about people driving BMWs or Aston Martin Rapides.

Quote:
Old 16th October 2015, 17:55   #18926
Senior - BHPian

Rapid cruiser - why are you posting it here and not going to the police with this story? If nothing else a police complaint with the facts from an eye witness will help the deceased's family get some compensation!
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 17:56   #18927
BHPian

Quote:

We were a group of 14 colleagues who on the lazy Sunday afternoon of 9 August 2015 decided to go from Baroda to Pavagarh. Two cars including mine(Rapid 1.6 TDI), a Mitsubishi Lancer and a total of Four Bikes were going on that Baroda-Halol Highway and there it all started.

The arrogant Lancer driver who used to praise himself a lot for his driving skills
It breaks my heart, to see that people like you who are educated enough choose to ignore the incident instead getting the accused out.
He killed a person due to his rash driving, and you couldn't report it to the police that the story was fabricated?
devilwearsprada is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 18:10   #18928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I am sorry if you find this curt but this is what I feel after reading your post. While you did the right thing by taking that man and his son to hospital, it doesn't absolve you of the crime you committed by staying quiet despite being an eye-witness. We all keep cribbing about the horrible justice system in our country and then witness educated people staying quiet because of fear or other compulsions.
Biraj, I will tell you something which may be more disturbing. There was no case filed from the victim's family and survivors. We got to know that few others from victim's side were neutral to this incident, they wanted the life insurance money, some cash compensation(convinced by police) and a job in return.

Police knew that there were eye-witnesses, but they didn't ask anyone for any kind of opinion, purposefully keeping all of us off the course, in fact they did their best to suppress the matter. No resistance, the willingness of the survivors to let go, sweet deal offered by the culprit coupled with the fact that the victim didn't had a driving license was the bingo combination for the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Sad to say but your post perfectly summarizes the value of a human life in India.
This is the power of projection which the Indian media commands and enjoys. A celebrity or a well reputed man committing the crime draws all round attention, while accident on the highway where the rubble is cleared quickly does not.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 11:12. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
cruising_rapid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 18:27   #18929
Senior - BHPian

I read of the deaths (a few posts back) by the killer Lancer and feel disgusted. Life is just that here - a statistic. For the poor, not even that. I am sorry sir but dear OP - I just wish you had done more to ensure that justice was eventually served!

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th October 2015 at 13:48. Reason: I'm rephrasing the last line of your post. PM me if you wish to discuss. Thanks :)
naveenroy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 18:42   #18930
BHPian

Quote:
We all got to know that the deceased was a poor peasant who didn't had a driving licence and the fabricated story told to police was that the rider collided with the animal and not his car. This fellow went merciless and devilish to an extent that he even refused to settle the hospital bills.

Later, we all learnt that the Lancer was a second hand purchase from Indore worth just 60,000 INR. He poured in some money and got it repaired from a local garage and still drives it without an ounce of guilt.
Quote:
We got to know that few others from victim's side were neutral to this incident, they wanted the life insurance money, some cash compensation(convinced by police) and a job in return.
Read your own posts and understand the contradiction. At one place you have written that your colleague didn't even settle the bills, and at other place you talk about compensation and job (we aren't even getting to whom and where). If the victim was driving without license then how would he get the insurance sum is another point that doesn't quite seem right.

Is this even a true event? It seems more like an exaggerated account of some other accident that you might have seen.
Biraj is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks