Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2015, 18:16   #18991
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Last two posters.....errrrr??? Both are stating opposites.

Right most lane? That is the fastest lane in Indian roads. Recipe for disaster.

Left most lane? Opposing heavy vehicle traffic.

Only, and only if you must, off the road on the shoulder. If there is no shoulder go ahead and take a U turn but not drive on road in opposite direction.
You have to think a bit deep here
If you are driving on the wrong side of the road, your left most lane will be the FAST lane and Right most lane will be the shoulder, FOR THE PEOPLE going in RIGHT direction.
So, if you decide to drive on the wrong side anyway, do yourself a favor by doing one more wrong by driving on _your_ right most lane.

Got it?
FORTified is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 20:59   #18992
Senior - BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Brand new Merc GLA totalled!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20151024082432.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20151024082432-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20151024082432-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20151024082432-3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20151024082432-4.jpg  

Anand123 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 23:40   #18993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
You have to think a bit deep here
If you are driving on the wrong side of the road, your left most lane will be the FAST lane and Right most lane will be the shoulder, FOR THE PEOPLE going in RIGHT direction.
So, if you decide to drive on the wrong side anyway, do yourself a favor by doing one more wrong by driving on _your_ right most lane.

Got it?
Thanks for explaining. And yes, here two wrongs are better than just one wrong which is disastrous.
Old 25th October 2015, 03:14   #18994
Distinguished - BHPian

See this post for picture of the Merc still in the bus's "mouth."

The extent of the damage is even more obvious in your pics.
Old 26th October 2015, 11:22   #18995
BHPian

The mystery is the left side of the bus is damaged...
Old 26th October 2015, 12:16   #18996
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Holy cow! As bad as the Mercedes is damaged, I'm amazed at how:

1. The A-pillars are more or less intact (they haven't caved in) .

2. It sure has rearranged the face of a vehicle 10 times bigger.

Did the driver get out okay?
Old 26th October 2015, 12:20   #18997
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this yesterday morning around 8.30am between Chorla - Kankumbi, Karnataka Border.

A biker collided with GA state bus. Not sure how but the biker buddies had covered this scene well. Ambulance was called. I offered to help to carry the injured to Belgaum KEM hospital in my car but they denied. Looking at the situation, biker seems to have suffered heavily. After hearing from their biker buddy that things are under control, I did not block the already narrow route and moved on.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accdnt.png

No speculations and guesses but thing to remind - Ghat roads are not race tracks. Enjoy the scenic routes, avoid conflicts on the road. It's ok to be late by few minutes. When roads throw a twist at you, there is straight somewhere further waiting for you to enjoy overtaking too. So patience is key on the roads.
abirnale is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 12:42   #18998
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
The mystery is the left side of the bus is damaged...
looks like the bus was coming out of a pocket road onto the main road, and wanting to travel in the direction opp to the merc. Can't guess whose fault it was for not stopping or slowing down; but sure that collision speed was high.
Considering the fact that any head-on crash with a truck/buss means that the car's monocoque is directly competing with the strongest end in the ladder frame, the merc has held up very well.
Old 26th October 2015, 12:59   #18999
BHPian

Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit162 View Post
Had a terrible accident yesterday afternoon around 1600 hrs
Good to see you are safe.
Seatbelts save lives.. and a lot of injuries. Another accident and another example of what seatbelts can do.

If the part below the door has got any impact/bend then don't risk repairing it. Let us know what the insurance guy says.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 14:59   #19000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It sure has rearranged the face of a vehicle 10 times bigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Considering the fact that any head-on crash with a truck/buss means that the car's monocoque is directly competing with the strongest end in the ladder frame, the merc has held up very well.
Two things:
1. It's NOT a monocoque vs ladder frame, but the rather heavy engine block in the front of the Merc vs a rather hollow portion of the bus' body work, made of sheet metal
2. The frontage of the bus is practically hollow, the first chassis cross-member, and the engine sit further behind the bumper in this example - so there's some sort of a crumple-zone there. Not sure if the local body garages design the front that way knowingly, or it happens as a corollary of aesthetics.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 16:06   #19001
BHPian

Quote:
Had a terrible accident yesterday afternoon

But the occupant next to me without the protection of the seat belt got 6-7 stitches in his head.

We are yet to be conveyed repair cost details or what has to be done next .
Good god! The car took this hit really well! I am glad that you are ok.

The front passenger , what part of the car did he hit?

My guess is that the market value of your car is around 40,000. If you can get at least this much from the insurance firm, just leave the car. Think you sold it for 40 K

What do the cops say about the maruti?
Old 26th October 2015, 17:00   #19002
BHPian

TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
Had a terrible accident yesterday afternoon.
Amit, very sorry to hear about this! I hope you guys recover soon.

Lately I have been forcing my car's rear passengers to wear seatbelts. They think I'm overly paranoid since rear passengers are not "required" to wear seatbelts, but this incident reminds me that I should continue doing so.

Unlike Delhi/NCR, I notice a lot of people not wearing seatbelts in Dehradun since the cops don't seem to care about it much.

Are you taking the car to Oberai Motors? I was there just today.

Something about the Dzire's number plate tells me the owner/driver had a clear disregard for rules and the rash driving conforms to that pattern. Wish such people would stay off our roads.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 26th October 2015 at 17:23.
Old 26th October 2015, 17:22   #19003
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
looks like the bus was coming out of a pocket road onto the main road, and wanting to travel in the direction opp to the merc. Can't guess whose fault it was for not stopping or slowing down; but sure that collision speed was high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Two things:
1. It's NOT a monocoque vs ladder frame, but the rather heavy engine block in the front of the Merc vs a rather hollow portion of the bus' body work, made of sheet metal
2. The frontage of the bus is practically hollow, the first chassis cross-member, and the engine sit further behind the bumper in this example - so there's some sort of a crumple-zone there. Not sure if the local body garages design the front that way knowingly, or it happens as a corollary of aesthetics.
Im sorry that is exactly what I meant - should have been clearer - its the front chassis cross member, the bus engine sitting on top of it and the ladder holding all these together, that is colliding with a the GLA's front. I was not referring to the sheet metal frontage of the bus body
Had it been a car not very well regarded for its structure, say maruti/hyundai - there would have been definite damage to the "cage" - Im guessing that a tata sumo or bolero (which have no concept of crumble zone), would have fared even poorer and transferred all the damage to the "cage".
My intent was to appreciate how a combination of an extremely strong "cage" design with a "not very flimsy" crumble zone, can withstand even something like a head on with a bus.
Old 26th October 2015, 20:36   #19004
BHPian

I am presently at Vadodara. Was hoping to return to Dehradun with the car but no hopes now! Had a tough time today with the Tata Authorised Service Centre - Miles Motors -here. Called the Tata 24x7 helpline to tow the car to Miles Motors. They charged me Rs.5000. But Miles Motors refused to take the car. Said it was a total loss . However, the insurance company said that they should take the vehicle give an estimate, only then the Insurance co. can decide on the claim.

After much dilly-dallying and harassment at the hands of the Service Centre for 2-3 hours I was forced to shift the vehicle to a local garage paying the towing agency Rs2000 extra. Tata Motors were also of little help despite my repeatedly calling them. The unprofessional unsupportive attitude of Tata Motors as well as their Authorised Centre is perhaps the reason why like many others I would never go for a Tata vehicle ever again. Have found the Service Centre here to be totally unprofessional and inefficient earlier also when I went for regular servicing. A far cry from the personal attention given at Oberoi Motors, Dehradun.

John Doe - the front passenger hit the interior lamp unit - the cause of his head injury perhaps.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 11:25. Reason: Edited post for better readability
amit162 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 21:58   #19005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
I feel so bad about this Merc. I wonder who would take delivery of such a beauty and drive without care so as to ram it into a bus and total it!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks