Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2015, 10:43   #19246
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Which makes it an even stronger case of negligent (or shall we say stupid?) driving. Driver driving too fast for the conditions.

If visibility is poor, slow down!
If people slow down, follow rules, then this thread will have to be closed, isnt it ? This thread became 1200+ pages, so many eye openers but all we see is more contributions to this thread. Sad to see so many lives being wasted on a daily basis. Time to think if a few minutes of unsafe thrill is worth the risk !
sunishsamuel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:50   #19247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558
First look at the picture of the Baleno and it seems the car crashed at 200+ speeds! Obviously baleno cant even touch such high speeds, Just assuming the max speed of the car to be around 130- 140 kph?
It might help clear some misconceptions if you went back a few pages on this thread, where someone posted a video of what remains of a Ford Focus (better built than Maruti I would guess) after crashing at 120. Basically a crumpled mess is what remains. So whether it is a Baleno or Punto, the end-results in a similar/same crash would not be much different.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 11:14   #19248
Senior - BHPian

The Focus crash was at 120MPH which is about 192KMPH. Any car will be left to whatever remained of the Focus after the crash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
It might help clear some misconceptions if you went back a few pages on this thread, where someone posted a video of what remains of a Ford Focus (better built than Maruti I would guess) after crashing at 120. Basically a crumpled mess is what remains. So whether it is a Baleno or Punto, the end-results in a similar/same crash would not be much different.
anachronix is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 11:22   #19249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
If people slow down, follow rules, then this thread will have to be closed, isnt it ? This thread became 1200+ pages, so many eye openers but all we see is more contributions to this thread. Sad to see so many lives being wasted on a daily basis. Time to think if a few minutes of unsafe thrill is worth the risk !
Its not about rules or thrill, its just complacency and negligence. You need to be 100% alert while driving on express ways and highways. A police officer at the accident spot said "drivers need to update their driving skills".
Old 26th November 2015, 11:27   #19250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats the one.
A 5 star rated euro or otherwise car, will give you the same protection. at 64(?) kmph(the tested car. Not indian version, or mongolia version).
None of these accidents here look to be under that. So crashing at 100kmph, is basically luck driven if you survive. I dont think even a european manufacturer, supposedly adjudged as the best built, will put out a tagline saying "VW. Protecting you at 100kmph."
They cant, because they dont know. They could know, but wont be bothered if its not required.

Last edited by mayankk : 26th November 2015 at 11:29.
Old 26th November 2015, 11:37   #19251
Distinguished - BHPian

After checking out the Baleno and the S-cross, the sheer lack of feeling of weight on the doors made me nervous of it's safety or rather lack of safety. But I may be wrong. Let's wait for a 60 kmph crash in a Baleno to draw any more conclusions.

Or may be like I've said before, if someone can direct us to links or stories where a Maruti's occupants survived a pretty bad crash that'll help too.

Edit: It's funny reading arguments that the visible damage could have been more while the occupants where being removed. I'd suggest them to look at many pics in this very thread, where welding, cut marks are visible. The Baleno doesn't have those. It's just crushed. Period.

Last edited by kiku007 : 26th November 2015 at 11:42.
Old 26th November 2015, 12:06   #19252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As per the picture, the tanker is in lane 2 which is in its correct lane as required by the rules @ ORR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
As per police, there was fog and the Skoda couldnt spot the milk tanker. It was a straight collision, no lane change.
Here is a little more detailed update in The Hindu today about the accident.

They say the time was after 6:30am which should be fairly bright to not miss a huge tanker even under Hyderabad fog.
I didn't come across any link where they are saying that tanker was in wrong lane,
so whether the car driver changed lanes or was already in wrong lane it seems negligence from his side.
Old 26th November 2015, 12:19   #19253
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Baleno crumples in crash - a debate on safety

According to the article on Motoroids, a brand new Baleno crashed and ended up crumpled like a piece of paper.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/maruti...ome-questions/

Now, I'm neither starting this topic to bash Maruti, nor to question how safe the car is - its just an open debate on safety. Just because these "new" cars come with airbags and ABS, that doesn't mean anything if they are being driven rashly on roads that do not permit such driving styles. A similar incident can be seen with a Verna that toppled and got crumpled on the BLR-MYS highway and it was a hot topic of discussion recently.

The debate is this - are we (as in the common man) becoming complacent, assuming that a car having ABS and airbags is indestructible? Are these safety features creating a false sense of (over)confidence amongst the driving community?

On the other hand, is ignorance to blame for such incidents? I've seen fully loaded Altos and 800s being driven at extremely dangerous speeds on highways, just because the road ahead is empty. When will people understand that just because the car comes with an accelerator pedal, it doesnt give them the liberty to go all out on it - and at the same time, just because the car has brakes, it will come to a stop when and where they want, at whatever speeds and loads they are doing?

Inputs welcome!
vsathyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 12:28   #19254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix
The Focus crash was at 120MPH which is about 192KMPH. Any car will be left to whatever remained of the Focus after the crash!
While 192kmph might not be sustainable on our roads, 150kmph is easily doable. Do you think there will be any significant difference in the way a Punto or Swift looks like after having the same/similar crash at 150kmph ? Both cars would still end up as crumpled heaps of metal in the event of a head-on collision with a bigger vehicle (or concrete barrier as in the video) with fatal consequences for the occupants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007
Or may be like I've said before, if someone can direct us to links or stories where a Maruti's occupants survived a pretty bad crash that'll help too.
Apart from the "Maruti" term being too generic (stands for anything from a bare M800 to the Grand Vitara), we also need to compare apples with apples across brands. I drive a Baleno and the Ford Fiesta Classic would be a peer, not just in terms of engine/power, but weight & safety features. In a similar accident, there is no factual data available to say that the Fiesta will fare better. With both cars tipping the scales at ~1000kg, the results will be similar.

So, there is nothing that a "story" will really help since accidents are different, but I remember a tbhp-ian walking out of a very bad crash in a Lancer (he had written his experience on the forum too - IIRC his handle is cheating_death or something on those lines). While not a Maruti, the Lancer is also a Jap weighing in roughly the same as its peers - Baleno / OHC etc.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 26th November 2015 at 12:29.
Old 26th November 2015, 12:45   #19255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
As per police, there was fog and the Skoda couldnt spot the milk tanker. It was a straight collision, no lane change.
Having grown up in Hyderabad, I can confidently say that at 6:30 in the morning, even if there is fog, it will be so little that someone needs to point it out to you. Especially on the section of the ORR from the airport to the city, visibility is always excellent with clear skies and the smooth, wide tarmac helps the situation further. This just seems to be a case of negligent driving. Speeding is a given on the Hyd ORR anyway Another fact I'd like to point out is that the car was travelling in the wrong lane if it was going fast it should have avoided the first two lanes as they are clearly marked for use by buses, trucks and other heavy vehicles
Old 26th November 2015, 12:54   #19256
Senior - BHPian

Without a doubt, yes! The safest of the safest, Volvo would also end up with the same fate if it ends up on a massive concrete wall. at those speeds

I think the Baleno didnt hit one such thing to end up in that state that it is. Structural integrity is more important than the 'X' number of airbags that could be offered in a car, be it 'optional' or 'standard'.

Quote:
While 192kmph might not be sustainable on our roads, 150kmph is easily doable. Do you think there will be any significant difference in the way a Punto or Swift looks like after having the same/similar crash at 150kmph ? Both cars would still end up as crumpled heaps of metal in the event of a head-on collision with a bigger vehicle (or concrete barrier as in the video) with fatal consequences for the occupants.
Old 26th November 2015, 13:09   #19257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Without a doubt, yes! The safest of the safest, Volvo would also end up with the same fate if it ends up on a massive concrete wall. at those speeds

I think the Baleno didnt hit one such thing to end up in that state that it is. Structural integrity is more important than the 'X' number of airbags that could be offered in a car, be it 'optional' or 'standard'.
Actually, colliding with a massive concrete wall head-on, is the easiest kind of crash for a car to be involved in as it gets to use its crush zones to their fullest extent. The Baleno crashed into a truck veered off over the divider and then got hit by another truck if I am not mistaken. Angle of impact etc could have made this accident the severe one it is.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 26th November 2015 at 13:16.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 13:17   #19258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

As per the picture, the tanker is in lane 2 which is in its correct lane as required by the rules @ ORR.

May the souls R.I.P.

PS: The car in question here is a Skoda Superb. Being low slung, it went through.
The accident is question involved the grandsons of former DGP of AP and the Chairman of Tourism Board, Telangana, Pervaram Ramulu.

It is heart wrenching to know that all of the died were brothers.

PS : A local daily reported that the car involved has multiple challans on it for rule breaking that include overspeeding, wrong parking...

I suspect the delinquent don't care style driving might be the reason !
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 13:19   #19259
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
The accident is question involved the grandsons of former DGP of AP and the Chairman of Tourism Board, Telangana, Pervaram Ramulu.

I suspect the delinquent don't care style driving might be the reason !
Incidentally, I have met Varun once when he had come for my colleagues wedding. Sad to hear the news!

It was a case of wrong overtaking and high speeding in the wrong lane!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 14:38   #19260
BHPian

At 865kg, the Baleno is too light for a car in its segment. I wouldn't trust it to protect me in case of an accident even at 60kmph.

A common argument I hear is that since the car has not been NCAP tested, lets give it the benefit of the doubt. I think the benefit of the doubt should go to the man and not the machine.

The conclusion should be, "it isn't safe as long as it is not tested" AND NOT "its safe as long as it is not tested".

Call me biased, but I won't feel safe in any Maruti sold in India.
civic-sense is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks