Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:26   #19576

Took this picture last week while travelling to office via Mambakkam- Siruseri road. Not sure how this happened as I arrived a tad little late. The car was held by the pole as you can see the rear end of the car is not grounded.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1451717526292.jpg  

msrajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 19:14   #19577
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Just saw this on Twitter- ouch

Bizarre & shocking incident on #Hyd-#Vijayawada Highway: car hits senior citizen; travels nearly 15 km with dead man's body before being stopped

http://www.ndtv.com/telangana-news/c...n-roof-1261538

Last edited by hserus : 2nd January 2016 at 19:16.
Old 2nd January 2016, 19:37   #19578
Senior - BHPian

Update on my Aspire's accident
So I went back to the accident spot and have now got a clearer picture of what happened. Would ABS have helped here?
I have tried to recreate the scene:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident-recreation.jpg

Last edited by samaspire : 2nd January 2016 at 19:39.
samaspire is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 19:47   #19579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
So I went back to the accident spot and have now got a clearer picture of what happened. Would ABS have helped here?
Attachment 1455890
ABS would have definitely helped and so would EBD.
iss1307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 19:50   #19580
BHPian

abs would have helped if the speed would have been low, whereas if the speed of your car would have been high, even abs couldnt have prevented the accident. in such a tragectory of car, only thing helpful would have been ESP(electronic stability control) which would have applied brake on inner wheel when u countered steered to get back on the road, and in theory would have prevented spinng completely.
AliAbdullah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 19:53   #19581
BHPian

I was driving from Mumbai to Udaipur yesterday. At the second-last toll before Udaipur, saw a crushed biker. Gory sight.

Whole day I encountered bikers crossing dividers with impunity and was thinking what can happen if an overloaded truck can't break in time. By the night, I got my answer.
ntomer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 20:13   #19582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1455890
Good illustration there Samaspire. It is always advisable to learn from our or other's mistakes. Now it is very easy for me to give you suggestion, but keep one point in mind, swerving to either sides of the obstacle in order to avoid collision is always risky. Your best bet is to apply the brakes and slow down on seeing an obstacle, even if that means coming to a complete halt. Somewhere at the back of our mind we always think that it is better to change direction than loosing momentum by braking. You seem to have followed that route. Tried to steer away from the dog and then applied the brakes. Brakes might have locked the front wheels and the rear fishtailed resulting in the impact with the pole.

I was exactly in a similar situation like you in my Indica while driving on a highway couple of years ago. I was doing 80-90 kmph and suddenly a dog from nowhere jumped from the divider in front of my car. I tried to brake (not very hard) to minimize the impact to the dog, but didn't move the steering even an inch. If steered on the right hand side, I would have hit the divider and on the left if there was a fast moving car, it would have been again a big risk. Fortunately the dog ducked a bit and passed through between the two wheels. When I saw in my rear view mirror, I could see the dog yelling, but got up and moved away. So it was saved, probably some injury to its legs, but it got a second life. Most importantly there was neither any damage to the car not its occupants (touchwood)
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 20:45   #19583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Your best bet is to apply the brakes and slow down on seeing an obstacle, even if that means coming to a complete halt.
This is what I always do and I have never had even a minor accident in 20 years of driving - until now, that is. But this was 1 am at night, I probably took my eyes off the road for a second, and my son was fast asleep in the back seat with no seatbelt. I do not remember everything clearly but I probably did not want to hurt him by braking hard, and so I swerved. And then BAAM...
Old 2nd January 2016, 21:04   #19584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Bizarre & shocking incident on #Hyd-#Vijayawada Highway: car hits senior citizen; travels nearly 15 km with dead man's body before being stopped
Just watched the news report on this. Apparently, the driver was unaware of the corpse flung over the roof and sped away from the accident spot only to be stopped by locals. From the news clipping, the corpse appeared to have wedged over the spoiler and remained on the car despite the car being driven away at such high speeds in an attempt to flee.
Old 2nd January 2016, 23:54   #19585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I like your attitude, Samaspire,. Instead of blaming on bad luck you are analysing the accident to make sure that a similar mistake, if any, won't be repeated.

Not everyone have the same attitude, many tends to put the blame on machine : ABS, ESP didn't work etc. I have seen the above attitude on this forum itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliAbdullah View Post
abs would have helped if the speed would have been low, whereas if the speed of your car would have been high, even abs couldnt have prevented the accident. in such a tragectory of car, only thing helpful would have been ESP(electronic stability control) which would have applied brake on inner wheel when u countered steered to get back on the road, and in theory would have prevented spinng completely.
I completely agree with AliAbdullah's view ^^. But again, there is no guarantee that an ESP or ABS would have avoided the accident. It would have definitely helped you to regain control of the vehicle in the above scenario.
ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 00:07   #19586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
many tends to put the blame on machine : ABS, ESP didn't work etc. I have seen the above attitude on this forum itself.
That actually happens in several instances. They don't work properly. What everyone does not realize is that these systems are sensitive to the right conditions and are dependent on proper tyre pressure, wheel alignment, tread etc. With our harsh Indian road conditions, these parameters must be checked more often. I personally know of a couple of instances where ESP failed to do its job properly because the car's tyres were worn out on the inside.

Sure it is not entirely the fault of the system if you don't maintain your car properly but I am just trying to point out that in several cases, there is a sliver of truth behind such statements

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd January 2016 at 00:23.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 00:21   #19587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I personally know of a couple of instances where ESP failed to do its job properly because the car's tyres were worn out on the inside.
I just wanted to emphasise that these systems are not fool proof.

As a researcher in safety critical real time embedded systems, our aim is to reduce the risk during system failure. And to improve the overall system using diagnostic data, in case of failure.
Old 3rd January 2016, 20:37   #19588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Bizarre & shocking incident on #Hyd-#Vijayawada Highway: car hits senior citizen; travels nearly 15 km
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Just watched the news report on this. Apparently, the driver was unaware of the corpse flung over the roof and sped away from the accident spot only to be stopped by locals.
Shocking incident for sure.
However, shows the varied reporting of same incident.

One newspaper mentions about the vehicle traveling for 5KMs another has it as 19 KM's. In the news link mentioned about it is 15KM.

Similarly in one, the victim owns the petrol bunk in front of which the accident occurred. Another mentions him as a farmer.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160103_112612619.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160103_114856851.jpg
Old 3rd January 2016, 21:20   #19589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Similarly in one, the victim owns the petrol bunk in front of which the accident occurred. Another mentions him as a farmer.
I'm not sure about the distance but I'm quite sure that the victim is a farmer. Apparently, he was on his way back to home for lunch after his day job. Poor bloke! May his soul R.I.P.

Go the info from one of my friends, who is working in Kamineni Hospital, which is in the vicinity of the accident spot.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 3rd January 2016 at 21:26. Reason: Edited quoted text :)
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:07   #19590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
I'm quite sure that the victim is a farmer.
This news report claims he was a farmer going to his farm and the car drove for 50 kms with the victim on the roof. The ORVM are closed and that explains why these guys did not realize that there was a body on the roof. The report also claims the driver was drunk.

PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed