Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 19:51   #1951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
The driver of my friend's car did maintain a relatively safe distance but was speeding to overtake. Both of them had their seat belts fastened on.
A thought on these lines, before I undertake any long journey on our highways, bothers me a lot.

Whatever the driver skill may be, chances are very very minimal to avoid collisions in such cases & there will not be any reaction time.

Recently was traveling at NH in speeds below 80 kmph on an empty road. Traffic was diverted to the opposite lane due to the construction work. There was 2 lorries one behind other on the first lane & with clear road in front of me for 1/2 a km, I attempted to overtake both the lorries with my headlight on & horns blaring.

Inspite of this, the second lorry decided to move to its right into my lane. He did that when there were enough gaps for me to brake hard and direct my wheels further right into the mud. Realising his mistake, he backed off.

Here I had a chance to run into the mud or to the bush in an attempt to avoid hitting him. But if there is a divider on my right, I could hardly do anything.

Last edited by Surprise : 25th March 2009 at 19:52.
Old 26th March 2009, 00:26   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
She did get the license in the first shot, but still have the same problem of paniking and single tasking. I am taking her on practice sessions, almost every day, but no luck :(
Please let us know which route she takes.

Here i'm trying to teach a colleague who used to drive an automatic in the US. I explained to her how Clutch works and what it does etc. I guess one gets (especially ladies) get spoilt by automatics.
Old 26th March 2009, 15:13   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post

As of now, I always accompany her. I wouldn't allow her to go solo till I get VERY confident.
Old 26th March 2009, 16:46   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Whatever the driver skill may be, chances are very very minimal to avoid collisions in such cases & there will not be any reaction time.
Whoever has a different opinion, please do contest here for the benefit of other bhp'ians
Old 26th March 2009, 17:26   #1955
BHPian

Saw this on NH 8 yesterday. Seems like it went under some truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nh8.jpg  

Old 26th March 2009, 17:36   #1956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post

Here i'm trying to teach a colleague who used to drive an automatic in the US. I explained to her how Clutch works and what it does etc. I guess one gets (especially ladies) get spoilt by automatics.
My wife loves automatics, used to drive one in the UK, but has finally got the hang of clutch again.

She keeps telling me that I drive better than I walk and its inherent for me but for her its just another activity
Old 26th March 2009, 17:40   #1957
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
As of now, I always accompany her. I wouldn't allow her to go solo till I get VERY confident.
Heartfelt thank you from another cochin driver
You are a bigger man than I am. I have stopped trying to teach my better half.

Quote:
Whoever has a different opinion, please do contest here for the benefit of other bhp'ians
I doubt if anyone else will have a different opinion. In the scenario you describe, your goose is well and truly cooked.
Only way is to avoid overtaking, in situations like that.
if the space "looks" tight, it probably is, it is not worth attempting to overtake then. wait till the road widens out.
It helps to know that the lorry you are trying to overtake is in turn not trying to overtake another slowcoach. make sure there are no ditches, cyclists in front of the lorry that will cause him to change lanes while you're overtaking him.
complete your overtaking maneuver as quickly as possible. do not linger alongside the lorry.
be prepared for the lorry swinging right inspite of all your precautions. being prepared is half the battle.

Old 26th March 2009, 18:56   #1958
Senior - BHPian

My approach while overtaking is to assume the truck driver or bus driver can cut right anytime without warning so in my mind am prepared to brake hard in that case.

Also i try overtaking with some sideways gap between the truck and my car even if i have to honk hard for him to make more way - gives a bit more time for you to save yourself.
Old 26th March 2009, 20:38   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GS- View Post
Saw this on NH 8 yesterday. Seems like it went under some truck.
There are multiple dents (at intervals) on the side of the Esteem.Hope the occupants made it out safely.
Old 26th March 2009, 21:02   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Is it my imagination or is this thread growing faster these days than in the past! Number of accidents are on the rise or TBHP members are reporting more!
Old 26th March 2009, 21:57   #1961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a ring of desperation there? What if no one wants to contest what you said?! LOL, will you now bang head?
Old 26th March 2009, 22:42   #1962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Is it my imagination or is this thread growing faster these days than in the past! Number of accidents are on the rise or TBHP members are reporting more!
TeamBHP is growing in no of members.
Old 26th March 2009, 22:50   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Is there a ring of desperation there? What if no one wants to contest what you said?! LOL, will you now bang head?

Yes, you might be right there, as there may be a ring of desperation. If no one is going to contest, well I take that as fate that could not be avoided. If someone contest with valid reason I (we) take a lesson from that. Either way thats going to benefit us, hence I do not think an option where i need to

Sir, Iam open to get myself corrected, where Iam proved wrong . If I cannot do that on an online forum like TBHP, where else can that be done

Last edited by Surprise : 26th March 2009 at 22:52.
Old 26th March 2009, 22:54   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I cannot do that on an online forum like TBHP, where else can that be done
In the House of Introspection and Retribution, LOL!!
Can't recall the address right now!
Old 27th March 2009, 08:40   #1965
BHPian

Good thing about trucks is that the cabin is open, so if you approach horn blaring, he might hear and not cut in front of you.

One technique I use on the 4 lane sections here is to look a bit ahead of the truck, to see if there is a slower vehicle in front of him, or a gap in median for him to turn etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks