Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2016, 11:10   #19816
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Mother had called me up yesterday evening after I reached home from work, and said she saw a flash news on the TV about a bus plunging into the river from a bridge at Navsari, killing 20 odd people (I think the count has gone up). Really sad. R.I.P. those poor souls.

Indian Express

Man, bikers are truly a horrible lot in this part of the country! I have seen kids going to their schools and tuition in Activas and Scootys, with 2 pillions. No helmets. Worse, with the earphones and sometimes, checking their cellphones! They are eager to wear a balaclava and Aviators while the ladies wear full length hand gloves to prevent sunburns but no helmets. Rule enforcement is not done as they do it down south. A fine for Rs. 20 or 30 (basically for the cops' chai paani) and they’re let go off. The less said, the better.

And now they've gone a step ahead installing bright white LED strobe lights on headlamps! Man, I can't express how irritating this is, you've to experience it! It used to be for the brake lamps before.

I had a hell of a time today morning, driving in intense fog! Visibility reduced to a few meters and the car was crawling at 35-40 kmph. No amount of light could help. Came across a few accidents en route - a truck which had jumped a divider and a truck that had hit an SX4. Reached the workplace late by half an hour.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th February 2016 at 11:45. Reason: Added IE news link.
Old 6th February 2016, 11:41   #19817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
A careless biker testing his fate.
But the news reporter and everyone else are blaming the car driver for being reckless!! The biker clearly did not have any sense and turned like a mad man. I would be most disappointed if the car driver gets punished in this case. The way they are showing the video makes us think that the car is hitting break-neck speeds.., but trust me, it'd not be hitting high speeds for sure. Even a 40kmph speed on the car would have the same consequence.
vnidta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 19:12   #19818
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: Discussion on the Dio & Dashcam incident moved to a separate thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...g-fleeced.html
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 12:07   #19819
BHPian

13 persons were killed and more than 27 injured in a horrible accident near Madurai, TN.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/eight-killed-in-bus-lorry-collision-in-tn/

Quote:
Thirteen persons were killed and 27 injured in a collision between a government bus and a cement laden lorry at T Kallupatti, about 40 km from here today, police said.
Quote:
The bus driver was among those killed. Police said the toll could increase as the condition of some of the passengers was serious. The mishap occurred after the lorry driver lost control of his vehicle, rammed the bus at a junction after which it overturned, police said.
In the physical version of Tamil daily Dinamalar, they mentioned that the collision happened when the bus driver tried to overtake another vehicle. Seems the truck has went inside half of the bus and 14 people including both the drivers were killed instantaneously.

May their soul RIP.
Old 8th February 2016, 06:56   #19820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
13 persons were killed and more than 27 injured in a horrible accident near Madurai, TN.

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...llision-in-tn/

In the physical version of Tamil daily Dinamalar, they mentioned that the collision happened when the bus driver tried to overtake another vehicle. Seems the truck has went inside half of the bus and 14 people including both the drivers were killed instantaneously.

May their soul RIP.
In yesterday's THE HINDU, it was mentioned that the lorry driver drove on the wrong side of the road resulting in collision. This was as per the statement provided by the injured bus conductor.
Old 8th February 2016, 07:38   #19821
BHPian

Saw this while traveling towards Chennai. The old man in picture is sleeping while sitting on the footboard. I hope he completed his trip. Looks like nobody on the bus cares whether he falls or not. Value for life - zilch.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1454897093793.jpg  

Old 8th February 2016, 09:48   #19822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post
Saw this while traveling towards Chennai. Value for life - zilch.
At the same time, you captured the EcoSport with fake LTD sticker.

Last edited by swift_guy : 8th February 2016 at 09:49.
swift_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 10:13   #19823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post
Saw this while traveling towards Chennai. The old man in picture is sleeping while sitting on the footboard. I hope he completed his trip. Looks like nobody on the bus cares whether he falls or not. Value for life - zilch.
How many times I have seen the bus conductor asking people not to stand on the foot board. Do people even bother to listen to him. They continue to do so thereby blocking the entrance for others to get down or get into the bus.
It is up to the individual to decide whether it is safe to sit on the foot board ,leave alone sleeping.
I lost my office colleague who was sitting on the foot board in the train. After having lunch he sat on the foot board as he was used to this kind of travel (he was a local of Mumbai who traveled in the local train either hanging from the carriage or sitting on the foot board).
After the train crossed Sholapur, momentarily he dozed, lost balance and fell off the train. His colleague who was sitting in the same compartment was not aware of these developments. After the train reached Mumbai, when he could not locate his friend, he went back along with the railway police only to find his friend's body lying on the track.
Old 8th February 2016, 17:52   #19824
BHPian

30 minutes ago, had seen an accident on the Pai layout flyover from Ram murthy nagar side. Bike guy rear ended a Sumo at good speed on the ramp up .
It happened just next to my car. I was on service road, going towards NGEF. Couldn't take pictures as traffic started piling. Front wheel went out of shape.
Hope the rider is OK.
Old 10th February 2016, 03:53   #19825
BHPian

I know I'm late with this, but I would like to thank all the people who showed concern for my friend who had an accident in his Renault Scala on the way from Hyderabad to Pune in Post #19791.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
That is one horrendous accident. Happy to hear that your friend is safe.

It is much evident from the pictures that crumple zones did their part well in eating up the force of impact.

Build quality and safety must be the paramount factors while considering a car purchase rather than bells and whistles.
I'm so relieved that he is safe! I agree that the crumple zones have definitely done their job here. And yes, I repeat, there is no replacement for safety features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Thats definately going on a nation full of deaf years. Ears which can hear only selective terms like excellent average, cheap insurance, etc
+100 to that mate. I have had multiple discussions with people in my office, who don't want to buy a car with airbags just because they're too expensive to replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
Happy to hear that your friend is safe. Good he was wearing the seat belt .

I am sure somebody will be able to give him more information as the toll both isn't far away as seen in the first pic. Again from the first pic it looks like he has hit the median and jumped on to the other side of the road - the toll fee board is on the left, but your friend had already approached the toll booth.
Absolutely! Glad he took the required safety precautions too. He still hasn't found out the real story, but the police suggested that one of his front tyres might have burst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Glad to hear that he's safe and no one else is hurt. I second your observation on the importance of paying more for a safe car. Of what use is a high FE car if it can't save us in such situations.
I frequent the Pune-Hyd route, maybe thrice a year. Looking at your first pic and the boards in the background, this looks like the Pune-solapur expressway.
Wonder what caused such damage, if he slowed down at the toll gate? Did he drive onto the opposite lane in the toll plaza!
I'm glad he's safe, and that no one else got hurt too! A car that can't take the impact of an accident isn't worth owning (P.S: I love my Punto!). Mentioned what he was told by the police in my response to nischaltopno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Let me share my experience of going through the same condition. This happened 12 years back during college days. I was riding my bike to drop my mom at the railway station. This was one of the small stations where not many trains stop, and the road also sees extremely sparse traffic. I wasn't wearing a helmet (I was stupid to do so). I dropped her off at the railway station, and took the turn off to the road back home. The next thing I remember is that I'm in a hospital room with my sister at my side. I have pain all over my body and I couldn't open my mouth.

Thank God that your friend survived the accident. He might have taken a hit on the head, seeing the condition of the car. Dozing off might be an equally possible cause, but speculating so would be unfair on him if he hadn't dozed off.
That sounds like a scary experience you had mate. Glad that you lived to tell the tale, and the same for my friend . Mentioned what he was told by the police in my response to nischaltopno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Wow. One look at the Scala and no one can say the occupant survived. Only two scenarios make sense. Either he blacked out due to the shock or he dozed off, hence the gap in memory. I will go with the doze off scenario. Such extensive damage means he didn't braked or made a good effort to avoid the accident. Anyways, the cause doesn't matter. What matters is he survived and I agree with you. Always drive a safe car on highways rather than FE oriented. Gladly, mine is both
I was told he had an accident by another friend, and sent the pictures, but when I saw them, my jaw dropped, and I called him immediately. I'm so happy that he's safe, and I agree, it doesn't really matter how the accident happened, but that he is alive and well! Good that you considered the safety factor seriously when buying your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Maybe he was knocked unconscious in the accident, like Horizon81's experience. Could he have fallen asleep without prior warning? Usually we know when we are getting sleepy at the wheel, eyelids dropping, and attention wandering. Of course, everyone is different, maybe he can fall asleep instantly, but my reason for bringing this up is the possibility that something else might have made him pass out. Possibly something to discuss with doctors.
That's a possibility sir. He has gone for extensive medical tests post the accident though, and nothing has been found wrong with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMILES View Post
My thoughts. He could not have had this accident if he dozed off. As you mentioned earlier that he remembers driving up to a toll gate, his speed would have drastically reduced and looking at the car, I seriously doubt it happened due to sleep.

I am also surprised that no one at the toll gate was able to explain the accident since he was so close to one.

Again, knowing that he is perfectly fine brings a sense of great relief.
I'm not sure if he went back to the toll gate and asked them, or how far away from it he was. I have mentioned what the police told him in my response to nischaltopno.
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 09:43   #19826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
After the train crossed Sholapur, momentarily he dozed, lost balance and fell off the train. His colleague who was sitting in the same compartment was not aware of these developments.
Sitting on the train foot board is very dangerous. Many times, the train doors, that are simply hooked to hold get loosen up and hit from behind with a bang. These doors as so heavy that you would not have time to react and hold it. You endup on the track.
Old 10th February 2016, 12:08   #19827
BHPian

30 car pile-up in Haryana.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/25-ca...-lateststories

The Punto Evo looks badly mangled
Old 10th February 2016, 15:38   #19828
BHPian

Feb 10,2016
Fog causes 30-car pile-up at Karnal, 4 dead:
KARNAL: Poor visibility led to the collision of 25 cars on the National Highway-1 in Haryana that killed at least four people on Wednesday.
"The accidents took place due to dense fog. Around four-five people have died," said an eye-witness.
"Due to dense fog, many vehicles collided with each other. Four people have died. They were going to Amritsar. We have sent the dead bodies to Karnal Hospital," Police Officer Kanwar Pal told the media here.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/50929120.cms
Visuals from the site where 25 cars collide with each other due to fog on NH 1 in Nilokheri, Karnal. 4 people dead.
https://twitter.com/ANI_news/status/697303667238506497
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-crash.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-crash2.jpg  

Last edited by virgopal : 10th February 2016 at 15:40.
Old 10th February 2016, 15:56   #19829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post

The Punto Evo looks badly mangled
Yes, it has completely gone under the truck. Under-Run bar in truck would have helped to a certain extent.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-snap1.jpg  

Old 10th February 2016, 18:25   #19830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
"Due to dense fog, many vehicles collided with each other.
May the departed souls rest in peace.

I am sorry to say, but when the visibility is so low, why can't the drivers reduce the speed for their own safety. Moreover, under foggy condition, road surface is likely to be slippery, which may increase the braking distance. I am wondering how 25 drivers make the same mistake

Most Viewed