Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2016, 12:12   #20011
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
[b].... one of its tyres burst. The driver of the car, Mohanraj (48), lost control of the vehicle, and it hit the road median, crossed the lane and collided with a minivan moving in the opposite direction, police said.....[/url]

That is why time and again I have been advising people not to be in the right most lane as far as possible and use middle or left lane on divided highways.
sudev is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 12:23   #20012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
The driver was son of a distillery factory owner, while the rest two are his classmates. Apparently, he has allegedly crashed in a similiar way (intoxicated) two times in the past and despite that was presented with the Volvo by his parents.
Since their son had the habit getting involved in crashes, the parents thought they will give him one of the safest cars, to keep him safe during crash. Unfortunately, their plan didn't work out.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 15:40   #20013
BHPian

Sudev,you have very rightly pointed out.Time and again we have been seen vehicles violating this safety advise and sometimes unfortunately end up in such accidents on highways.
Also there is the issue of defective tyre which burst leading to loss of control.
On a personal level, I am very sad that the Doctor in question who lost his life(along with his Mother, Wife and car driver)happened to be a friend of my Dr Brother. He was returning to Chennai after attending his niece's wedding at Bangalore.
R.I.P to the departed souls.
Old 5th March 2016, 16:21   #20014
BHPian

Quote:
Sudev,you have very rightly pointed out.Time and again we have been seen vehicles violating this safety advise and sometimes unfortunately end up in such accidents on highways.
Also there is the issue of defective tyre which burst leading to loss of control.
On a personal level, I am very sad that the Doctor in question who lost his life(along with his Mother, Wife and car driver)happened to be a friend of my Dr Brother. He was returning to Chennai after attending his niece's wedding at Bangalore.
R.I.P to the departed souls.
This is a very shocking news. Had interacted with Dr. Kumaraswamy recently, such a wonderful human being.

May his soul rest in peace

Last edited by shijinpr : 5th March 2016 at 16:21. Reason: Spell check
shijinpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 09:33   #20015
BHPian

Health dept to rename accident relief scheme after Harish
TNN | Mar 6, 2016, 07.31 AM IST
BENGALURU: Health minister UT Khader on Saturday said the Chief Minister's Santwana Yojana for accident victims would be renamed after Harish Nanjappa, 23, who donated his eyes moments before his death in a horrific accident in Nelamangala last month. The health department has already petitioned the CM for the renaming the scheme, he said.
The scheme, scheduled to be launched on March 8, will be renamed as Mukhyamantrigala Santwana Harish Scheme.Besides financial assistance, the scheme aims to provide accident victims with immediate cashless treatment at hospitals for up to 48 hours with a cap of Rs 25,000.
The victim will get treatment from a set of 25 packages and ancillary medical attention recommended by an expert committee. The packages include treatment for simple in juries, complicated facial injuries, fractures, head injuries, blood transfusion and burns.
Meanwhile, the department said a software will be used to ensure proper implementation of the scheme with hospital registration, patient registration, claims submission etc. Hospitals that will be a part of the scheme will be categorised into Level 1,2 and 3 trauma centres based on the facilities available.Level 3 hospitals will be accorded the status of major trauma centres.
Further, the government will also set up emergency toll free help lines (108 and 104) to assist accident victims.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/51274495.cms
virgopal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 11:14   #20016
BHPian

This happened with me some two weeks back. I was on my way to work in my father's Alto, and was waiting at the signal next to Noida City Center metro station, just after the underpass. The signal ETA was 120+ seconds, so I was sitting in my car, waiting for the green. Suddenly I hear a loud bang from the rear, and my car shaked a bit.
I look at the back, see nothing; come out of the car and go to the rear to see a guy and his bike on the road just behind me. He had rear ended the car at some decent speed. From the scene, it looked like he applied brakes at the last moment. It had rained earlier in the morning, the road was wet and his bike skid. Been there done that. I've skid a couple times on my brother's FZ S on loose gravel and know that feeling when you have no control. He hit his head on my hatch and tail lamp (my guess), luckily he was wearing helmet.

Fellow passerby and I helped him get up and on his bike. I was glad that he escaped unhurt and probably learned a lesson to avoid speeding on a rainy day. But he proved me wrong right at the very next red signal, he whoozed past the red light and saved himself all of 140 seconds !
I wonder what was so urgent and important that he put his life at risk for a couple minutes of savings in time.

My Alto after taking the hit : broken tail lamp (lights still work though) and a dent in the hatch. Here goes yet another Sunday :(
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-step0001.jpg  

texens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 16:32   #20017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
That is why time and again I have been advising people not to be in the right most lane as far as possible and use middle or left lane on divided highways.
Quote:
How do we know he was not merely overtaking another vehicle in the fast lane when this happened?

I do follow the practice of driving in the left or middle lanes but there are times when you are overtaking and are in the fastest or rightmost lane.

Keeping the tyres healthy and properly inflated maybe the only way to avoid tyre bursts.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 18:27   #20018
BHPian

Another accident involving a maruti omni. 4 people in the omni lost lives when their vehicle was hit by a pvt bus. Another biker died too.

Link to the article

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-yellapur_accident_13.jpg
Old 6th March 2016, 19:58   #20019
Distinguished - BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Smriti-Irani-injured-in-car-accident-on-Yamuna-Expressway-Reports/articleshow/51272514.cms
Quote:
Agra: Union minister Smriti Irani reportedly received minor injuries on Saturday after her car met with an accident on the Yamua Expressway. Irani, along with other senior leaders of the BJP, was returning to Delhi from a meeting of the party's youth wing in Vrindavan.
According to reports, Irani injured her knee in the accident in which many cars crashed into each other.
No photographs seem to be available of the accident site in the media.
Old 6th March 2016, 21:39   #20020
BHPian

Some photographs of the Yamuna Expressway accident from Dainikbhaskar.com.
http://www.bhaskar.com/news-ep/UT-DE...67208-NOR.html
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-smriti_1457211667.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-smriti1_1457211671.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-smriti2_1457211678.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-santro.jpg  

Last edited by virgopal : 6th March 2016 at 21:49.
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 21:39   #20021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Another accident involving a maruti omni. 4 people in the omni lost lives when their vehicle was hit by a pvt bus. Another biker died too.
Amazing that all three visible tires are bald- BALD!!
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 00:20   #20022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Amazing that all three visible tires are bald- BALD!!
That is the problem these days, we have so many varieties of accidents that if we were to report and analyse all of them in this thread it'd be going into hundreds of pages per day.

Its also incredibly difficult to say whose fault was it due to which the accident took place. Between the Bad Drivers thread and this one I've seen under-aged riders, helmetless riders, fast drivers in entry level cars, fast drivers in super-luxurious safest cars, dozing drivers, homicidal riders, etc and they all ultimately meet the same fate - an accident. Take this very case as you've pointed out, the Omni guy may not have been at fault during the moments leading to the accident but because the tyres are almost worn out who knows, maybe the car couldn't stop on time or even lost traction due to panic braking. Thus it inevitably ends in the car driver being at fault too.

The problem is there are no hard-&-fast rules and the Government itself is perennially at odds trying to decide the guilty party after the occurrence of an accident, it mostly always comes down to either the larger vehicle to blame in case of a "clash" of different weight classes, or the vehicle in the back which is to blame in case of a rear bender. For equal if not more situations this may hold true but there is always a question mark if the rule is applied universally. One can never tell if the victim of the incident applied brakes too soon or too late, or never saw a threat coming or violated a couple of rules a few milliseconds before the incident, can they?

Nothing can be written in stone unless :
1) Government decides what is the practical world speed limit in city/highway and enforces them strictly so that violations can be defined clearly.
2) Strictly ensuring that illegal add-ons like bull-bars, high decibel horns and very bright aftermarket headlamps are removed.
3) Creating public awareness on what jaywalking can result in.
4) Creating driver awareness of the effects of lane-changing abruptly and illegally and enforcing strict laws for such acts.
5) Introducing a MOT test in India like U.K has, to be done every 5 years. All the vitals of the car such as tyres, brakes, horn, steering will be checked and the body checked for rust or structural deficiencies. Also the pollution test must be merged with this test making 6 month certificates redundant. This will atleast ensure flawless technical performance and safety in an optimum way.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 02:03   #20023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
1. Driver airbag deployed : Car in motion. There must be a person on the driver seat.
2. Passenger airbag not deployed : Passenger seat belt not buckled. There is no person on the passenger seat.

Simple design logic.
May be, the inventors of these safety features were not aware that in India people wear seat belt only when they see police checking.
I doubt this. I believe i20 passenger seats come with a sensor which lets the car know if there is someone sitting on them. Thats what triggers the alarm in version of the old gen i20. I dont know about the new generation. Also, in all probability the passenger airbags may have been switched off.
Old 7th March 2016, 12:17   #20024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I wonder how the i20 driver airbag deployed without seatbelts and the passenger airbag didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
1. Driver airbag deployed : Car in motion. There must be a person on the driver seat.
2. Passenger airbag not deployed : Passenger seat belt not buckled. There is no person on the passenger seat.

Simple design logic.
May be, the inventors of these safety features were not aware that in India people wear seat belt only when they see police checking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I doubt this. I believe i20 passenger seats come with a sensor which lets the car know if there is someone sitting on them. Thats what triggers the alarm in version of the old gen i20. I dont know about the new generation. Also, in all probability the passenger airbags may have been switched off.
If there was such a sensor, then in all probability it would have been carry forwarded to the newer versions of i20. And in the above accident the passenger airbag must have deployed.

For people who argue/demands wearing seat belts should not be a criteria for airbag functioning - "Airbags don't serve their purpose without seat belts". It's a fact.
Old 7th March 2016, 12:32   #20025
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a ZoomCar Figo accident on Saturday morning near Krishnagiri.

The car had rear ended an eicher truck and there was a huge crowd and ambulances. Anyone have more info?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks