Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 00:35   #20071
BHPian

Saw this i20 Active at Navi Mumbai parked outside Sanpada Police Station near Palm Beach Marg.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1458500669998.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1458500681163.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1458500690303.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1458500698184.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1458500705723.jpg  

Old 21st March 2016, 00:38   #20072
BHPian

Is it only me or anyone else also feels that too many i20s are getting into frequent accidents and crashes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Got this as a forward in whatsapp. Hope the girls are unhurt. Few things I noticed:
1. The lorry is speeding.
2. The girl riding the bike appears to cut across the road from the other biker's reaction
3. Helmet is worn like a hat.
Complete girls' fault. Lorry driver was not at fault at all. Hope he is not harassed by police AND the girls should be reprimanded if not punished (after getting complete treatment). Every time the 2 wheeler guys get injured, the bigger vehicle driver has to bear the brunt even though if its not his fault. This should change.

Last edited by ampere : 21st March 2016 at 07:02. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
chevyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 10:28   #20073
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

This happened with me a couple of days ago. Gladly everyone involved was unhurt. The guy on the scooter claimed "maine horan to bajaya" ["I honked"]. I did not see the point in arguing and drove on, although I was sure the damage to the car must have been substantial. I'll need a new bumper.

Not sure what I could/should have done differently. I had less than a second to react + come to a complete stop.

Old 21st March 2016, 15:30   #20074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
The guy on the scooter claimed "maine horan to bajaya" ["I honked"].

The answer is that "honking" actually gets nothing, certainly not right of way, and definitely not miracles when coming from a blind spot. Sadly though, education is only of use to the open minded.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 18:44   #20075
BHPian

Another gory accident near Arasur on NH 45, Tamilnadu.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1458565969.901725.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1458565989.283094.jpg

Couldn't get the news though. Seems, the mini Lorry lost control and hit people waiting at the bus stop and coming to halt after hitting a truck.
Old 21st March 2016, 20:39   #20076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Another gory accident near Arasur on NH 45, Tamilnadu.
Couldn't get the news though. Seems, the mini Lorry lost control and hit people waiting at the bus stop and coming to halt after hitting a truck.
Are those livestock in the first picture ?

If so, must be one of the painful ways to die :-(
Old 21st March 2016, 22:00   #20077
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't know what the driver was up to, but this truck was stuck on the NECE road today evening near the electronic city toll...almost blocking one lane on each side.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-snapseed04.jpeg
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 22:10   #20078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Don't know what the driver was up to, but this truck was stuck on the NECE road today evening near the electronic city toll...almost blocking one lane on each side.
May be he realised he took the wrong way and wanted to reverse .

But this picture from you reminds me one episode just between JAS toll at Nelemangala and the NBTL toll at the overbridge that perpendicularly crosses NH48 below.

It was around 01:00 AM (I am ensuring I dont add another digit this time to let you think ) and I was returning to Bangalore from Pune along with my Dad. Soon after showing the receipt at JAS I was gaining speed when I suddenly see a cloudy image ahead and across all the 3 lanes. I wasn't sure what it could be but started to get a hint that what I saw was not a hint that I am sleepy but something abormal.

Guess what?? A truck exactly of the same shape, size and length (extended like the one here) was parked perpendicular to the road I was on. It was neatly blocking all 3 lanes with less than 2ft gap in front of it and behind.

Being a weekday and so late at night and the fact that it was only after the toll, traffic was very thin and it was just me while others slowly started to approach as I noticed in my ORVM.

What was he doing?

This fella in all probability had missed the exit for Nelamangala/Hassan/Mangalore and hence wanted to return back. So he decides to make a U-Turn right there.It may have been at least 3-5 minutes that he managed to reverse happily and turn the truck 90 degress to the road.

As I reached, I could notice him struggling with so less space in front and rear and that turning radius and a seemingly tight power steering to slot in 1&R alternatively and keep moving back ad forth trying to turn the truck towards the opposite direction and yes, he did succeed.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st March 2016 at 22:11.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:54   #20079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
May be he realised he took the wrong way and wanted to reverse .
this may not be the case here because this median ends after a distance where he can easily make a U-turn.

Quote:
It was around 01:00 AM (I am ensuring I dont add another digit this time to let you think )

Quote:
and I was returning to Bangalore from Pune along with my Dad. Soon after showing the receipt at JAS I was gaining speed when I suddenly see a cloudy image ahead and across all the 3 lanes. I wasn't sure what it could be but started to get a hint that what I saw was not a hint that I am sleepy but something abormal.

Guess what?? A truck exactly of the same shape, size and length (extended like the one here) was parked perpendicular to the road I was on. It was neatly blocking all 3 lanes with less than 2ft gap in front of it and behind.

Being a weekday and so late at night and the fact that it was only after the toll, traffic was very thin and it was just me while others slowly started to approach as I noticed in my ORVM.

What was he doing?

This fella in all probability had missed the exit for Nelamangala/Hassan/Mangalore and hence wanted to return back. So he decides to make a U-Turn right there.It may have been at least 3-5 minutes that he managed to reverse happily and turn the truck 90 degress to the road.

As I reached, I could notice him struggling with so less space in front and rear and that turning radius and a seemingly tight power steering to slot in 1&R alternatively and keep moving back ad forth trying to turn the truck towards the opposite direction and yes, he did succeed.
This circus can be seen regularly on the NECE road on Bhannerghatta road junction.

Our Highways is like a big stage in a theatre where we can see a variety of acts performed by people with great talents. We as spectators have to just enjoy the show!

PS: Ok, sometimes we become performers too!
hemanth.anand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 23:39   #20080
BHPian

Here is a terrible accident from Kolhapur. Involving a Pune MH14 Alto travelling from South Karnataka to Mumbai, carrying 7 people and a DOG!!!!

4 dead.

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=386407
Old 24th March 2016, 10:42   #20081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post

Not sure what I could/should have done differently. I had less than a second to react + come to a complete stop.
You can be more careful to realise that it was a blind spot. You should honk if you see a blind spot.
I go very very slow in such streets causing annoyance to my co passengers.
I have had a few escapes in these situation.

Last edited by bblost : 24th March 2016 at 10:52. Reason: removed embedded video.
Old 24th March 2016, 13:10   #20082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
You can be more careful to realise that it was a blind spot. You should honk if you see a blind spot.
And even be prepared to stop. Sometimes I like to try to show to my wife that driving is not just about twiddling the wheel like someone in an old film, by telling her what is in my mind.

Yesterday, stopped at a signal with a largre vehicle on my left, I told her, "I would like to accelerate away quite hard, to be sure of getting in front of that vehicle, but I can't, because what if a pedestrian or other vehicle is crossing," Driving is about noticing and computing as many as possible of the things that might happen.

It is all about observation. I had a girlfriend in London who was so much better at it than me: I was in awe of her driving skill. The fact that she would not drive larger or unfamiliar cars, and shied away from auto gear box is nothing: observation makes the better driver, not technical ability.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 16:49   #20083
BHPian

Witnessed in the bylanes in Trivandrum (Mukkolakkal enroute to Mannanthala):

This picture shows a heavy truck somehow trying to 'evade' the overhead wires and zip through- I waited for almost 10 minutes watching their shenanigans and finally overtook the truck.

Please take note this place is super close to a renowned large school in Trivandrum, the St.Thomas group of educational institutions and plying a truck on school-days would have invited trouble. Fortunately, today being a Good Friday with most establishments closed served as a boon.

Better safe than sorry !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_7468.jpg  

jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 14:17   #20084
BHPian

Last fortnight saw 2 accidents on highways, thought of sharing both
1. Very sad as this Xylo with few VIP's hit a Max used as rural school van on NH86 EXT between Sagar and Bhopal in MP. Sorry for the poor quality of image. Sharing just to convey that probably Air Bags and Seat Belts would have saved many lives in this VIP car. God bless rural students who are treated worse than animals when taken to schools.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sagaraccident.jpg
I was so shaken after looking inside this vehicle (even though I reached there 2-3 hours after the accident) that preferred not to click Maxx.
As per Villagers standing there 7 people died on the spot including both the drivers and all passengers of this Xylo. 10 School kids suffered head injuries of various order.

Name:  Screenshot from 20160320 112030.png
Views: 6362
Size:  215.5 KB

2. I don't understand why people overspeed their newly acquired vehicles on single lane blind curves. Whenever I cross this stretch between Vidisha and Bina near Bhopal, I always wondered why I never see toppled cars, its so obvious to judge knowing driving habits in our country. Finally found one.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-binaaccident.jpg

Last edited by rkhare : 27th March 2016 at 14:20.
rkhare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 07:11   #20085
Senior - BHPian

Six killed as SUV crashes into mini lorry: The accident happened after one of the tyres of the SUV had burst.

It's a Tata Safari.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-27mardharmapuri_28_2791564f.jpg  

Most Viewed