Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 19:30   #20116
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
PS: I may surely have some observation bias - possibly I think many other drivers don't pause enough. Maybe some other drivers find the same flaw in me - but I think my observation holds overall, even though we may differ in our assessment of severity of the problem.
All your observations are spot on, and none of us, when we make such observations, claim perfection in ourselves. Yes, I know a bit of defensive driving, and can talk about it, but it's also true that the two or three my-fault accidents I have had in my driving life were all the result of doing something really really stupid, such as, for example, looking in the wrong direction. I have learnt some great lessons, from great teachers; I have learnt some lessons from experience, and some of that experience has unpleasant --- but I still do wrong things and stupid things. I try to notice that they are wrong and stupid, but I'm sure I often don't.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 21:55   #20117
BHPian

RIP all Victims. May the almighty give the strength and courage to the family members and friends of the deceased to overcome the tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I am waiting for the ban to get over to get a Storme and now I too am worried after looking at this car.
Do not worry my friend. We have all the cars on sale in India crushed in this thread. If you worry about this, you cannot buy any car. The safari is a solidly built car, I think no other car could've have survived the accident, if the safari couldn't. Do not worry on this, go ahead with the purchase if the Safari suits your needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
However, I am extremely annoyed with Michelins and will never ever buy them again. My new tyre (3000 km) almost burst yesterday after a 4"X1.5" large and blunt steel piece went thru the side wall on a highway.
A metal piece of the said dimensions will definitely damage the tyres, be it Michelin or Pirelli, new or old
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 22:46   #20118
Senior - BHPian

Few months back one of my friends while driving from Goa to Bangalore had a tyre burst. He was driving his Alto at 100+ kmph. Next day when I met him, his reaction was "it was a near death experience". It was sheer luck that saved him and his family. After the tyre burst vehicle lost control and went for a 360 degree turn, changed lane but did not hit the median by few inches and no vehicle was following him in the lane where he landed finally. It was non-tubeless tyre, though kilometres driven was below the prescribed limit, but years in use was more than the prescribed limit.

Last Friday while driving on Bangalore - Mysore road, I was crossing a speed breaker at a slow speed and an Innova was also crossing the same speed breaker on my left. Suddenly we heard a tyre burst noise and initially I thought about my tyres, but mine is a 3 months old vehicle with just 2750 kms done. When I looked at my rear view mirror, saw the Innova slowed down and pulled over. Apparently Innova was overloaded with passengers, but at the same time they were lucky that tyre burst happened when vehicle was slowed down to cross the speed breaker.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 00:44   #20119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
If you are moving parallel to a trailer and your left tyre burst, will this warrant quick steering movement in the opposite direction? This can turn disastrous if you are in the right most lane.
I had experienced a tyre burst on a two lane road. A rock protruding on the road kerb, slashed my left front tyre side wall.I was driving at around 50-60Kmph. I only noticed the steering turning out a little heavy, there was no loss of control and stopped the car only after a good 200m. So unless if you are doing insane speeds or negotiating a curve, a tyre burst is always manageable.
I have experienced a tyre burst in a tallboy (wagon r) at 120kph on a curve and am lucky to have survived it. Perhaps you are right 50-60kph would seem manageable. It is also down to which tyre bursts; the front tyres blowing out is going to be more dangerous than a rear tyre bursting. To answer your trailer question, braking is necessary but steering before you are confident you are withing the threshold of control, would be dangerous. I recommend dabbing the brakes and working the gearbox down the gears aggressively using engine braking. Remember to always rev match when working down the gears to use engine resistance as you don't want there to be any jolts that could send the car out of control (especially on rwd cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Hi Guys,

My sister-in-laws car was parked opposite our house on 10th Road Juhu on 23rd March 2016, at 1.26 am on 24th March three girls travelling by a white Hyundai rammed into our Hyundai I10 damaging it severely. We have managed to get the cctv footage from the temple across the road however the number plate is not visible. How do we catch hold of these culprits? Below is the link of the accident captured on the cctv.
Like the doctor, in the last few pages, this is again really pathetic to see educated people fleeing from their own mistakes those girls should have left a note with the contact number atleast. Absolutely disgusting behavior. I would suggest filing a case with the cops and then personally visiting each and every Hyundai service center looking for the face-lifted first gen i20. They must be caught because they owe you and deserve a strict lecture on what it means to be a respectable educated human being

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th March 2016 at 00:46.
Old 29th March 2016, 09:32   #20120
Senior - BHPian

From facebook-happened on September 2015.

Quote:
Ford Ecosport impact near dharmasthala yesterday. 2 heavy trucks hit same time. No injury for any passengers inside the car. 6 airbag deploy perfectly. Thanks to Ford for giving best safety and built quality that saved my family. Go further!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12039182_969226943138124_9196029305028637302_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12046568_969226856471466_58204315976488051_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12019930_969226916471460_8466411473531203431_n.jpg  

Last edited by ampere : 29th March 2016 at 12:07. Reason: Edited quoted content
ramzsys is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 01:05   #20121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
From facebook-happened on September 2015.
Ecosport has taken that impact beautifully, its one solid little car and there are no two ways about it. I own a Vento as well but the sheet metal is thicker in so many areas on the Ford compared to VW, the doors are also much heavier than Vento and it is saying some thing, other brands don't even stand in comparison. Ford's build is fantastic.

Nice to see people buying top end cars with all safety measures and appreciating that the car saved his family.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 04:23   #20122
Senior - BHPian

Quick note: sheet metal being thicker & heavier does not automatically mean greater safety or quality.
sridhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 06:43   #20123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Quick note: sheet metal being thicker & heavier does not automatically mean greater safety or quality.
Haha That is actually true, but unfortunately in our country, there is no display of such abilities in cars that cost less than 15lakhs atleast. So it is understandable for people to react to the first difference they can perceive. That said, there is just no denying that the Ecosport is one of the Safest options one has in the price brakcet, and Ford seems to be making a conscious and well-intentioned effort in our country which ought to be supported more

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th March 2016 at 06:46.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 06:48   #20124
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that the EcoSport protected you during the crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I own a Vento as well but the sheet metal is thicker in so many areas on the Ford compared to VW, the doors are also much heavier than Vento and it is saying some thing, other brands don't even stand in comparison. Ford's build is fantastic.
Thicker Sheet metal doesn't result in greater protection during crashes.

Quote:
Nice to see people buying top end cars with all safety measures
Only a small % buyers are aware that such safety features can really make a difference during those unfortunate incidents. Hopefully more buyers buy cars with safety features during their next purchase.
Old 30th March 2016, 07:51   #20125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Good to know that the EcoSport protected you during the crash
That is not my Ecosport, i have had no crash with mine but am sure that in an unforeseen circumstance, she would keep me safe with the 6 airbags.

Quote:
Thicker Sheet metal doesn't result in greater protection during crashes.
To each his own, lets not debate about it on this thread as it would be off topic. I feel safe sitting in a car which is well built, when the hatchbacks were tested for crash ratings, only the Figo and Polo had come out with a stable structure, the largest selling hatch from the biggest manufacturer of our country had miserably failed that test.
The high tensile strength steel story does need verification once the crash tests are done in our country.
Old 30th March 2016, 08:32   #20126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
That is not my Ecosport, i have had no crash with mine but am sure that in an unforeseen circumstance, she would keep me safe with the 6 airbags.

To each his own, lets not debate about it on this thread as it would be off topic. I feel safe sitting in a car which is well built, when the hatchbacks were tested for crash ratings, only the Figo and Polo had come out with a stable structure, the largest selling hatch from the biggest manufacturer of our country had miserably failed that test.

The Etios twins, apparently with paper-thin build passed out in flying colours in the recent crash tests, as do most flimsier models of Hondas. Better build= more safety is kind of an obsolete concept now, thought the placebo it gives is still strong. Just wishing you safe miles with your steed. Cheers.
printh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 08:36   #20127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quite a bad one, caused due to tyre burst.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/tamil-...ills-6-people/
Will filling Nitrogen instead of air in the tube/tyre serve the purpose of reducing accidents due to tyre burst.
When the regular tubes/tyres are filled with air, the chances of tyre burst coupled with inappropriate air pressure are more due to the air getting heated up which is not the case in Nitrogen.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 30th March 2016, 09:07   #20128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Will filling Nitrogen instead of air in the tube/tyre serve the purpose of reducing accidents due to tyre burst.
When the regular tubes/tyres are filled with air, the chances of tyre burst coupled with inappropriate air pressure are more due to the air getting heated up which is not the case in Nitrogen.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Here you go. Apparently Nitrogen that we fill at the gas stations and service centers is worse than the normal air. Link with proof Fifth Gear -

Rohit_Quad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 09:37   #20129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Marginally yes, by default normal air has about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and rest vapour, CO2 etc in minute quantities. If the car tyre is filled with 100% nitrogen then the tyre will be a "little" less susceptible to air-loss and higher pressure due to temperature variance as water vapour will be absent thus cannot convert into steam. This is the part where everything is ideal.

However practically it would take many nitrogen fill-cycles to purge the tyre of oxygen and other noble gases, so even if once normal air is topped up then the tyres would not have pure nitrogen until 2-3 nitrogen top-ups, that is assuming that such fill-up stations in a country like India have 100% accurate filtering to begin with since it relies on pre-isolating N2 & O2 before being dispersed into the tyre. The best thing to do would be to fill the tyre to manufacturer specification, if nitrogen all the better. Secondly the tyre brand is important as well as certain brands mentioned in the tyre threads of T-Bhp have been known to come apart prematurely compared to the competition. Also changing tyres when their time is close to the end will help the most, a common indication being 50,000 kms and/or 7 years apart from case-to-case factors like cracks, bulges or less than 2 mm of tread depth.
Old 30th March 2016, 10:31   #20130
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Avventura fell off a bridge, 15 feet down into a dry river bed full of rocks. A college professor who was driving solo escaped unscathed. This happened at Kalladikode, near Palakkad.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-palakkadaccidentcar.jpg.image.784.410.jpg

Picture courtesy: Manorama online.
sandsun7 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed