Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 12:14   #2041
Senior - BHPian

^^
+1,
My uncle was driving a sumo some years ago and had to suddenly swerve. This was not at any high speed and should have been manageable by any car.
The Sumo rolled over and landed in ditch, but the body was extremely weak, the roof was completely mangled and luckily my uncle could get out.

Vehicles like the sumo with a high center of gravity need to have much stronger cabins, roofs etc as they are prone to rolling over.

cheers
Old 10th April 2009, 14:16   #2042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
That is not true.
My friend had an accident on Hosur road last year in a Tata Sumo. It was a recklessly driven BPO sumo. At the end of it the vehicle was fine, but an iron rod penetrated the passenger compartment and went through my friends leg. Passenger compartment getting compromized is a serious security risk.

The whole idea of a good design is that the vehicle takes all the damage and protects it's occupants. Remember the BMW ad - Spare parts for humans are not as original as they are for the cars.
You mean it penetrated like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11111111.jpg  

Old 10th April 2009, 21:43   #2043
BHPian

the white swift looks like a total wreck! a lot of damage.

OMG! what happened to the BMW? went straight into the guard rail and there is blood on the rail near the passenger side front seat. a sad accident!
Old 11th April 2009, 10:18   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
That is not true.
My friend had an accident on Hosur road last year in a Tata Sumo. It was a recklessly driven BPO sumo. At the end of it the vehicle was fine, but an iron rod penetrated the passenger compartment and went through my friends leg. Passenger compartment getting compromized is a serious security risk.

The whole idea of a good design is that the vehicle takes all the damage and protects it's occupants. Remember the BMW ad - Spare parts for humans are not as original as they are for the cars.
There seems to be a slight Mis-Understanding here, Vehicles are designed for " Crash Protection" and not "Penetration" by sharp objects. A frontal penetration will be most possibly blocked by the Engine Block. but any rear / side penetration by a sharp object will rupture the skin and compromise the cabin.

The above case is a clear-cut case of an overconfident and careless driving by call-centre drivers.

I have had some cases of near misses by these drivers, upon stopping their driver & calling up their complaint numbers, the occupants of the cab take the side of the driver and eventually the driver ends up walking Scott-free and with an over inflated ego.

Some times I just wish they legalised Rocket Lanuchers(sigh)
Old 12th April 2009, 08:32   #2045
Senior - BHPian

MBA students' car rams into truck, 2 dead

An evening of fun went horribly wrong for three youngsters in the Capital when their car crashed into a moving truck in Gurgaon. Naman Sharma and Gagan Gill, both students of a private business school in Noida were killed in the crash while returning home from a party.
The TV news item showed alcohol bottles in the car too.
The truck driver ran away from the scene.
I wonder who was at fault - probably both.

Old 12th April 2009, 08:52   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Drinking and driving will certainly lead to this! Even though I feel sorry for the parents, good that no one else was affected!

And what car is that???
Old 12th April 2009, 11:01   #2047
Senior - BHPian

Its a Skoda Laura! So much for a company obsessed with Quality! Didn't the Airbags open up? Were the kids not wearing seat belts?

RIP~~
Old 12th April 2009, 11:02   #2048
Senior - BHPian

from the tyres and the grill I think its the Laura
Old 12th April 2009, 11:15   #2049
Senior - BHPian

To me it looks like another drunk rich kids case.

May there soul RIP
Old 12th April 2009, 11:17   #2050
BHPian

On page 3, someone said that Skodas are built like tanks.

Now Confirmed - No car is built like a tank.

(never should be)
Old 12th April 2009, 12:01   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Its a Skoda Laura! So much for a company obsessed with Quality! Didn't the Airbags open up? Were the kids not wearing seat belts?
RIP~~
The news coverage did show the airbags deployed. I remember seeing the driver side one very clearly.

They did not show the truck (or at least in the part that I happened to see). Our trucks are not built for protecting others in an accident.

The impact must have been phenomenal.
Old 12th April 2009, 12:08   #2052
Team-BHP Support

airbags are no use without seat belts. Besides, no one is invinsible in a skoda, safer yes, immortal no
Old 12th April 2009, 12:08   #2053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
...Now Confirmed - No car is built like a tank...
The built of the vehicle is definitely better than others that we have on Indian roads, but then everything has its limits.

Push it beyond that only if you crazy!

Looking at the photos, what hell of speed where they doing? If the Laura itself took this beating, and still has one person alive, with any other vehicle it would have been a sure death case for this third person also if they were in any other vehicles!
Old 12th April 2009, 14:05   #2054
BANNED

Well the airbags did deploy but they burst with the impact as has been reported in TV and Hindustan Times Delhi edition.I wonder how can airbags burst?
Old 12th April 2009, 16:06   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
^^
+1,
My uncle was driving a sumo some years ago and had to suddenly swerve. This was not at any high speed and should have been manageable by any car.

Vehicles like the sumo with a high center of gravity need to have much stronger cabins, roofs etc as they are prone to rolling over.

cheers
Just heard of a ditto accident involving a dear friend's family where the damn safari flipped over thrice. So much for all that steel.

The more I hear/see accidents involving SUVs - the more I think well designed stable good handling sedans are infinitely preferable to any high CoG vehicle.

But most important is always seat belts. I don't know about Jesus - but seat belts do save lives.

Most Viewed