Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2016, 09:46   #20551
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Learner's license in a fortuner? learn to crawl before you start to run comes to mind
Old 21st May 2016, 10:01   #20552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
A friend's Punto. Hit by a tourist bus in the wrong direction.

All occupants totally safe, except for a broken finger.
Punto !!

Phew! That's a total carnage. I'm glad the occupants are safe. As a repeat Punto owner, I'm satisfied with our purchase.
Old 21st May 2016, 21:46   #20553
BHPian

Quote:

Can you please give some details about the crash; whether it was a face to face collision or from the side, and how fast they were going. I am just being curious as a punto owner
Old 22nd May 2016, 14:04   #20554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

And this is what caused the accident & death of Harish:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/51031304.cms

Interesting to know how the right front tyre (rim) ran over Harish. Was he riding his bike on the fast lane, close to the median ?

But I won't be surprised, if he was on the lane next to the median.
The access controlled six-laned highway stretch between Nelamangala and Yeshwanthpur (in Bangalore) was not available for two and three wheelers when it first opened in 2010. They were banned since they cause too much trouble for the fast moving cars, lorries, buses by not following lane discipline. And since NHAI had constructed wider service roads on either sides of the highway, the two and three wheelers were not affected.

But the lobbying by locals finally made NHAI to give in to the demand and now two wheelers and three wheelers are allowed since last 3-4 years.

Here is a picture of how two wheelers drive on this road. The bikers on extreme left seem to have some sense but the one on the extreme right lane (fast lane) is putting his life at risk.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_5560.jpg
Old 22nd May 2016, 15:18   #20555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Learner teen on joyride rams Toyota Fortuner into Sea Link toll booth, injures 4
http://www.motoroids.com/toyota-2/le...oth-injures-4/

Anybody thinks the Judge should be lenient?

1) The teen was not drunk
2) They did not run away from the scene of accident. Instead they helped the injured, even though they were hurt themselves.
I think, he should be getting lesser than the unlicensed teenager from Delhi is going to get.
Old 22nd May 2016, 18:53   #20556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post

Here is a picture of how two wheelers drive on this road. The bikers on extreme left seem to have some sense but the one on the extreme right lane (fast lane) is putting his life at risk.

Attachment 1509499
Unfortunately this is the scenario you see in India. More the number of lanes you provide on the roads, more the confusion it creates as no one follows lane discipline.
Old 22nd May 2016, 20:00   #20557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a picture of how two wheelers drive on this road. ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Unfortunately this is the scenario you see in India. More the number of lanes you provide on the roads, more the confusion it creates as no one follows lane discipline.
Ignorant, ill-informed, careless or clearly not concentrating are the things I think of when I saw a two Wheeler on the fast lane doing 40kmph.
Same holds good for 4 wheelers who do slow speeds on the the right lane.
And best part, you can never make them move to the slow lane how much ever you honk.

Sometimes I wish I could stop and ask them what is their reason for sticking to the fast lane, but that would require a psychological study.

Last edited by tharian : 22nd May 2016 at 20:02.
tharian is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:08   #20558
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1509499
Adding to the two wheelers on the right most lane, we can see these over loaded Auto's carrying all sorts of materials (water containers, hardware stuff) doing around 20~40 kmph on empty roads blocking the traffic behind them. Driving a car, i feel that the left lane is for slower traffic and two wheelers, hence stick to the right lane. This happens every day on the flyover going towards forum mall from hitech city. The pieces of junk (old indicas) cab drivers also do the same. Also, there are some two wheelers, who think that the white lines on the right lane is some sort of two wheeler 'grand way' or some thing. I was stuck behind such an idiot today, doing 30 kmph on the white lines on the right most lane. i'll post a picture next time of such morons.
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:26   #20559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Ignorant, ill-informed, careless or clearly not concentrating are the things I think of when I saw a two Wheeler on the fast lane doing 40kmph.
Same holds good for 4 wheelers who do slow speeds on the the right lane.
And best part, you can never make them move to the slow lane how much ever you honk.

Sometimes I wish I could stop and ask them what is their reason for sticking to the fast lane, but that would require a psychological study.
The problem lies partly with the infrastructure and partly with the mentality of the average Joe on 2 / 3 / 4 wheels.

The lack of adequate shoulders on either sides (especially on the left side) and minimal / non-existent footpaths results in the extreme left lane being crowded by pedestrians, cyclists, fruit vendors, vegetable carts and assorted vehicles parked haphazardly. Negotiating all of that requires a certain amount of attentiveness and adjustment - something these people aren't prepared to undertake. They'd rather stick to the right side of the road which is relatively free and maintain a constant 35 km/h. They'd event suggest, with unabashed hand gestures, that they should be overtaken from their left while they continue to stick to the divider.

What's even worse is this behaviour is being habituated by driving instructors who insist that the learner stays on the extreme right lane, making like easier for both, the learner and the instructor.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:49   #20560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Sometimes I wish I could stop and ask them what is their reason for sticking to the fast lane, but that would require a psychological study
Well, left-lane-phobia is what you may call this disease. I happen to suffer from one and hence avoid the left lanes during most of my drives, but I don't belong to that category of people you just mentioned.

The reason for this kind of fear is the fact that you may have all sorts of things going wrong nowadays on the leftmost lane. You may find vehicles parked, people standing, those corporation dustbin-carts kept bang on the left lane by these sweepers during morning times, BMTC Bus stops, push-carts and the list just keeps growing. Well, that doesn't mean the right lane is perfect. It has its own set of problems like U-Turners blocking the road at places where there's no U-Turn! People who drive on the wrong way and tell you that they are keeping to the left of the road! Still, the right-lane has less impact on your commute when compared to the left. But again, this is not the way it should be.., but what choice do you have? Had my share of experience this morning at the Dairy-Circle fly-over where this guy on a Splendor was bang on the middle of the right lane and he braked all of a sudden on an empty road. I had to literally stand on the brakes to avoid hitting him. Even after honking, he never bothered to budge until we crossed Christ college where apparently, he went left and stopped to drop the pillion rider. If that wasn't the case, the ordeal would have continued further

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Also, there are some two wheelers, who think that the white lines on the right lane is some sort of two wheeler 'grand way' or some thing. I was stuck behind such an idiot today, doing 30 kmph on the white lines on the right most lane. i'll post a picture next time of such morons.
Adding to that, there are other two-wheeler riders who think that the gap between cars are made just for their convenience. They just zip past cars if they find that the handlebar is able to squeeze through. If I keep posting videos of such people, I'd be one among the top uploaders in YouTube
vnidta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:19   #20561
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-master.jpgGURGAON: A motorcycle caught fire after it rammed with a car on Sunday, leading to the death of one of the bikers and injured other.
The accident took place in Bhondsi when the tyre of a white Swift car burst while driving and the driver lost control over the car. The car jumped the median and rammed into a bike on the other side of the road.
The collision was so strong that the bike caught fire while the car too was badly damaged.
One of the bikers - Sonu, a resident of Dwarka died in the accident. His friend Rajukumar has been seriously injured. The car driver received minor injuries.

Source
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:48   #20562
BHPian

Quote:
This is the only reason, getting licence must become stricter and harder. Remember the story of a person going to RTO with shorts for licence? Now lets not start the debate of shorts again. My only point is let us not be very casual of getting a licence.
Old 24th May 2016, 08:01   #20563
BHPian

As per my assumptions seeing the damage of the vehicle, it seems the driver was driving the vehicle at high speed, lost control and rear ended a truck or bus. The car seems absolutely new with plastics on the seats, good to see the airbag deployed but it again raises the question of Maruti Suzuki's build quality. It's definitely not upto the mark, another failure from the Maruti Suzuki India's stable in terms of build quality. It's high time they should atleast improve the build quality of cars in 10L range and stop using PAPERS instead. The vehicle actually crumbled like a toy car.

Even though we still do not know how it happened, still this kind of build quality is simply not acceptable from a manufacturer who has more than 40% of the market share. I am waiting for a statement by Maruti Suzuki India now, they are again going to make a fool out of themselves saying they had provided all the basic safety features.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 15:47. Reason: Edited post for better readability
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 09:14   #20564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
As per my assumptions seeing the damage of the vehicle, it seems the driver was driving the vehicle at high speed, lost control and rear ended a truck or bus. The car seems absolutely new with plastics on the seats, good to see the airbag deployed but it again raises the question of Maruti Suzuki's build quality. It's definitely not upto the mark, another failure from the Maruti Suzuki India's stable in terms of build quality. It's high time they should atleast improve the build quality of cars in 10L range and stop using PAPERS instead. The vehicle actually crumbled like a toy car. Even though we still do not know how it happened, still this kind of build quality is simply not acceptable from a manufacturer who has more than 40% of the market share. I am waiting for a statement by Maruti Suzuki India now, they are again going to make a fool out of themselves saying they had provided all the basic safety features.
OT: Rear ending a bus or a truck or any other vehicle at high speeds (if thats what happened) is a recipe for disaster irrespective of the vehicle. Most of the vehicles would probably be shredded in a similar manner. No amount of panel thickness can compensate for the nut behind the wheel
Old 24th May 2016, 09:27   #20565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There were no other occupants and driver did fracture his finger. Pics you have posted projects like punto is totally crumpled. I will post better pics shared by a friend of him.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160523wa0039.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160523wa0037.jpg  

Dr.Naren is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed