Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 17:12   #20731
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Not just placing reflective triangle, one should turn on hazard flashers AND open kerb side doors and hatch to indicate that the car is parked and not moving. Because one also drives with hazard flashers on, in emergency. And get off the road as far as you can. And sit on the kerb side to change wheels. If you have a flat tyre on right side, then turn the car around facing wrong side and then change. Never be on the traffic side of the car. Other vehicles just zoom past you at high speed. And while changing, keep an eye out for approaching vehicles. Some drive at triple digit speeds even on the shoulder, to overtake slow moving trucks.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 18:12   #20732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
If you have a flat tyre on right side, then turn the car around facing wrong side and then change.
Sorry but IMHO this is way more risky if you are trying to turn your vehicle towards oncoming traffic especially on high speed corridors like the e-ways where most of the people turn into maniacs. Even in this case if there is a hit (your vehicle is still stationary), there is all likely hood that the other party might report that your vehicle was coming from the opposite side in the wrong direction and it is your vehicle which caused the accident.

Last edited by centaur : 6th June 2016 at 18:13. Reason: grammatical error
centaur is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 19:23   #20733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Sorry but IMHO this is way more risky if you are trying to turn your vehicle towards oncoming traffic especially on high speed corridors like the e-ways where most of the people turn into maniacs. Even in this case if there is a hit (your vehicle is still stationary), there is all likely hood that the other party might report that your vehicle was coming from the opposite side in the wrong direction and it is your vehicle which caused the accident.
Infact my ordeal faced the same situation. My front right tyre was punctured in elevated expressway having 2 lanes, I was almost in the middle of the road to change the tyre as I didn't have any option to take a U-Turn in elevated expressway because of continuous flow of vehicles, all > 100 kmph.
All I could do was to watch the vehicles approaching and couple of times, I had to run away (ok, the vehicles wouldn't have hit me, but I was scared looking at their size and speed)
Old 6th June 2016, 20:06   #20734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I agree with you for most part but that abs helps. It is helpful for people who can't modulate the brake pedal. And I have faced the situation where in my senses told to use what I ended up using. I agree car may have piled up sideways but as per my thinking I should have stopped before hitting the curb but there was loose sand on passenger side which I didn't take into thought as I didn't see that. Further thinking abs can help you escape better than handbrake is again wrong. Using handbrake brings about instant change in trajectory .
I make a living out of working on safety features for cars. However, I am really sorry to say that with smart people like you, you make all the features that takes millions of man hours put to a waste. If only a handbrake was meant to boost your cars control and help you stop better, then I wouldn't have had a job.
Thanks for the enlightenment! I guess enough people have told you otherwise. Period.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 20:20   #20735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
You are right but if you have a flat tyre on right side of car, then even if you bring it all the way to shoulder to work on, you will still be dangerously exposed to high-speed traffic. What I meant was, bring it to shoulder, turn 180 degrees when there is no traffic approaching, hoist the bonnet up. This would warn the oncoming cars that your car is down and not chugging along on the wrong-side. Then quickly finish your work and make another 180 degree turn back, when you see for miles no car approaching. Yes, I know on some roads, you may never have enough time to pull it off but on sparsely driven roads of my state, you can. The best thing actually would be to completely leave the highway and take to some side road.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 21:09   #20736
BHPian

On 2nd of this month I was driving home after a short vacation to Puri. I stopped about 20-25 KMs before crossing the Orissa-West Bengal border, when I saw many people standing on the highway. There was a spell of rain shortly before this incident happening and apparently the driver could not control the bus.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0136.jpg

Fortunately no one died in this accident, the eye witnesses said, though maybe three or four people may had fractured bones.
Old 6th June 2016, 21:14   #20737
BHPian

Quote:
I guess F1 cars don't have abs for a reason.

Best Regards
F1 cars not having ABS was a new subject for me and hence immediately googled it. Google says it was banned by FIA, deemed it illegal along with a host of other features like active suspension, traction control, launch control,as these features were aiding drivers for better drivability. With ABS, drivers were able to brake very late into corners and the true test of corners were becoming obsolete with ABS as all drivers were able to excel in corners. FIA banned most of the electronic aides (barring a few).
petrol_power is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 23:09   #20738
BHPian

Quote:
Abs doesnt help you stop sooner but only provide you ability to direct the car in a different direction. Each pulse time of abs makes you loose traction between disc and pads momentarily.
=======
Whatever floats my boat is good for me as it has stood test of time.

Best Regards
In most dry conditions if you step on the brakes hard a car equipped with abs will always stop sooner. ABS can increase braking distances in less traction environments like snow/gravel/sand.
I agree theoretically threshold braking can stop a car faster than abs but an overwhelming majority of drivers don't know what that is or how to use it. Most people would simply stomp on the brake pedal if they see an impending collision. The fact is that sometimes changing direction while braking can be the difference between a massive collision and coming away unscathed.

I also don't get your point about parking brakes. WHy on earth would you want to violently spin/ change direction on a public road as doing so could risk other people's lives. Its one thing controlling your drift in a safe trafficless environment but do you really feel such things should be tried in traffic? On public roads Hand brakes serve only the purpose of parking and should never be used to maneuver the car.

Rally drivers use handbrakes because sometimes drifting sideways is the fastest way round some corners

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 16:12. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 7th June 2016, 00:21   #20739
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
WHy on earth would you want to violently spin/ change direction on a public road as doing so could risk other people's lives.
He clearly mentioned in his first post about the incident that he used the handbrake as a last resort because he didn't have any space left to either execute a regular straight-line braking maneuver or swerve safely out of harm's way.

His own life was potentially at risk, so I'd guess he was entitled to try whatever options he had to survive. It's not like he was doing handbrake drifts for fun. Risky maneuver? Yes, and he clearly admitted as much, but the alternative outcome was arguably far worse.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 03:23   #20740
BANNED

Guys,

Can we all just cool it down on why 'Trust_In_Thrust' used Handbrake in that situation and why is he saying ABS equipped cars aren't as good as handbrake maneuvers.

He knew what he was doing and he knows his car better than all of us plus the situation he was in that time.

So all in all, let's cut the discussion and get to the main topic of this thread. Thank you.

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th June 2016 at 03:25.
a4anurag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 06:23   #20741
BHPian

An interesting article on the BBC today:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36446652

Guys, we need to change this image. People need to help others in an accident, this article is certainly an eye-opener for me.
Old 7th June 2016, 09:31   #20742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
An interesting article on the BBC today:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36446652

Guys, we need to change this image. People need to help others in an accident, this article is certainly an eye-opener for me.

Jeeper: Been discussed here too, it's sad and finally the Supreme Court decided to act. Most folks are really scared of getting involved in false cases by the cops. Our justice system can drag on for years for even frivolous cases!

Maddy
Old 7th June 2016, 09:37   #20743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
seat belts in buses
Sorry for the later reply. Volvos have seatbelts but in most of the private ones they are not repaired/replaced once damaged.
Old 7th June 2016, 10:03   #20744
Senior - BHPian

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/bike...thane/17310174
23 year old son, called as 'daredevil biker' by media, multiple complaints of rash driving, corporator/builder father who chose to ignore idiot son's antics, son riding rashly without any gear, gets himself killed and his pillion almost killed under the wheels of a container truck. Result? Police arrest container truck driver under the pretext of 'rash driving'. Blind leading the blind
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 10:12   #20745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
http://www.mid-day.com/articles/bike...thane/17310174
23 year old son, called as 'daredevil biker' by media, multiple complaints of rash driving, corporator/builder father who chose to ignore idiot son's antics, son riding rashly without any gear, gets himself killed and his pillion almost killed under the wheels of a container truck. Result? Police arrest container truck driver under the pretext of 'rash driving'. Blind leading the blind
Poor truck driver :(

Report goes on to say, the father would often receive complaints about his son's rash driving but chose to ignore it. Now his son lies dead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks