Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 18:09   #20866
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Please don't watch if you are of the squeamish type:
Horrible!! But why blame only the driver??? Isn't the local civic body also to be blamed? Look at the way the footpath is encroached, this gentleman would have had a life only if there was some space left for a proper footpath.

High time the honorable SC comes down heavily on the need for footpaths and the right of pedestrians to walk safely on our roads!

Last edited by ampere : 14th June 2016 at 21:45. Reason: Removed Video Links
Old 14th June 2016, 18:18   #20867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
However, as a fellow member (Thad?) said in one of the earlier pages - you can never hit a human being irrespective of the situation. He may be in the wrong, but that doesn't give you the right to knock him down ever!
It was something like that, yes.

On the other side of the coin, about being a pedestrian, is another thing my father taught me when I was just old enough to walk by myself. A little rhyme:
He was right, dead right, as he toddled along,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 18:40   #20868
Senior - BHPian

Thad, your wee rhyme reminded me of this:

Death of an Innocent

I went to a party, Mom,
I remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink, Mom,
So I drank soda instead.

I really felt proud inside, Mom,
The way you said I would.
I didn't drink and drive, Mom,
Even though the others said I should.

I know I did the right thing, Mom,
I know you are always right.
Now the party is finally ending, Mom,
As everyone is driving out of sight.

As I got into my car, Mom,
I knew I'd get home in one piece.
Because of the way you raised me,
So responsible and sweet.

I started to drive away, Mom,
But as I pulled out into the road,
The other car didn't see me, Mom,
And hit me like a load.

As I lay there on the pavement, Mom,
I hear the policeman say,
"The other guy is drunk," Mom,
And now I'm the one who will pay.

I'm lying here dying, Mom...
I wish you'd get here soon.
How could this happen to me, Mom?
My life just burst like a balloon.

There is blood all around me, Mom,
And most of it is mine.
I hear the medic say, Mom,
I'll die in a short time.

I just wanted to tell you, Mom,
I swear I didn't drink.
It was the others, Mom.
The others didn't think.

He was probably at the same party as I.
The only difference is, he drank
And I will die.

Why do people drink, Mom?
It can ruin your whole life.
I'm feeling sharp pains now.
Pains just like a knife.

The guy who hit me is walking, Mom,
And I don't think it's fair.
I'm lying here dying
And all he can do is stare.

Tell my brother not to cry, Mom.
Tell Daddy to be brave.
And when I go to heaven, Mom,
Put "Daddy's Girl" on my grave.

Someone should have told him, Mom,
Not to drink and drive.
If only they had told him, Mom,
I would still be alive.

My breath is getting shorter, Mom.
I'm becoming very scared.
Please don't cry for me, Mom.
When I needed you,
you were always there.

I have one last question, Mom.
Before I say good bye.
I didn't drink and drive,
So why am I the one to die?

..................author unknown.

Last edited by anupmathur : 14th June 2016 at 18:57.
anupmathur is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 18:47   #20869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Thad, you wee rhyme reminded me of this:
This rhyme left me speechless. So apt and so true. It should be displayed on boards in every school and college IMHO.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th June 2016 at 23:53. Reason: Quoted post trimmed = inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Old 14th June 2016, 19:01   #20870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
There are no footpaths left especially in local areas where they are either used by vertically parked cars or simply used by the home owners for other random stuff. You will also see that they are walking on the road because there is no usable footpath and cars parked on either side of the road.
No footpaths, No place to make a footpath, cars parked, They were walking on the road, A lot of things can be blamed, But majorly its the mistake of the person driving the car that fast, The guy walking had no reaction time what so ever, Just in a blink of a second.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 20:14   #20871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The guy walking had no reaction time what so ever, Just in a blink of a second.
The most gruesome part of this incident is the way the poor gentleman's body was thrown across from the impact. Also, what really has been puzzling me is the source of the video. It "ALMOST" looks like the one recording the video knew what was coming!!

This surely does not look like an intersection/CCTV clip to me. Any thoughts guys??

Observe carefully and you will notice that the body(head?) smashes the driver side window glass of the VW Polo in the video, before being launched into the car and tree behind. :(

Very sad to know that most of the times, not only do such people get to eventually walk away with such crimes, but even get to be back on the roads & behind the wheel!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 14th June 2016 at 20:18.
Old 14th June 2016, 21:18   #20872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
This surely does not look like an intersection/CCTV clip to me. Any thoughts guys??
I think someone took this video from a monitor/screen which was running the CCTV clip, maybe they tried to zoom and hence the movement.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 22:22   #20873
Senior - BHPian

See the audacity of this guy who, after mowing down three, stumbles out of the car and asks for a lighter from policeman. And, there is more. He says, "ask my dad for compensation". That pretty much sums up his attitude and arrogance. I have words for such guys but that will be edited. Such guys should be sent straight to gallows. It was not an accident. It was cold-blooded murder. BTW, the policeman put his own life in harm's way to apprehend this crook. He is lucky he wasn't run over.

Coming to the man flung by the car in the video, I have full sympathy for his tragic death but at the same time I also wonder why do people walk on roads/city streets? You are exposed to danger. If it's not a drunk driver, it could be a runaway truck or bus owing to brake failure or sleeping-at-the-wheel driver. For heaven's sake, go to a park or stadium and walk/jog.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 09:01   #20874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
See the audacity of this guy who, after mowing down three, stumbles out of the car and asks for a lighter from policeman.
=======
For heaven's sake, go to a park or stadium and walk/jog.
Agree with you but one may need to walk to the park / stadium if it is close to their house. Taking a vehicle may not always make sense.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 16:41. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
macbeth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 10:46   #20875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If only the fool had worn proper gear he may have still been alive.

I don't understand. Their friends fled the spot? What kind of friends are those? Earlier you said one boy lay bleeding for 2 whole hours before medical support arrived? What were the other kids doing? This is plain retarded IMO I find it so hard to believe that a group of friends would be so ignorant after such a dangerous accident. I even find it fishy to an extent. What kind of buddies are these?
These chaps were 18-19 years old. I don't know why they behaved like that! What's worse was I met the family of the boy after we got to know of the death. I can still remember the way both the parents cried. Only wish the other parents had taught their kids to be responsible for their action. What's happening now is a couple of chaps are in jail for negligence drunk driving and some other cases against them while the parents will never get back their son.

High time our police stop filing fake cases and encourage folks to help people in accidents.

Maddy

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 16:41. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 15th June 2016, 12:33   #20876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
From TOI:

When a constable finally forced him to stop, he staggered out of the car and demanded a cigarette lighter. He then told the police to get compensation for the victims from his father.
If I were the constable there, I would have broken his nose, knocked his teeth and asked him to get it fixed with his father's money after the court trials are over.

I hope media covers this widely, and doesn't give it a skip as it was only a Honda City and not a (their favourite) German luxury car.

What arrogance!
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 13:00   #20877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Another ghastly accident where in a techie lost her life. Got to know from a friend who stayed nearby that both the cars were an i10.
I wonder if the deceased and her friends were wearing seat-belts. No offense to owners, but I personally find i10 a very dangerous vehicle, with its unstable structure and lack of safety features like airbags etc.

The outcome could have been very different if they were driving a sturdier vehicle with ABS, airbags, had worn their seatbelts and most importantly not indulged in racing! I wish people started spending some of their hard-earned money for the safety of their own kids and also educated them about the dangers of speeding.

Nonetheless, a very sad outcome of light-hearted revelry between friends. Feel particularly bad for parents who lost their young daughter in the prime of her life.

Roads are dangerous places, and should not be taken lightly.
Old 15th June 2016, 14:09   #20878
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
.......light-hearted revelry between friends....
Racing on public roads is NOT light-hearted revelry. Suicidal stupidity fits the bill better.

Quote:
Feel particularly bad for parents who lost their young daughter in the prime of her life......
Entirely preventable tragedy if they'd taught their kids better, and that feeling will NEVER go away. Sad and pointless deaths, all of these.
Old 15th June 2016, 14:30   #20879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
The outcome could have been very different if they were driving a sturdier vehicle with ABS, airbags, had worn their seatbelts
NO car in the world is safe enough even with all the best safety and security features thrown in especially if the nut behind the wheel is hell bent on doing buffoonery with the car. At the end of the day, they are machines and have their own limitations. People have also died in even sturdier vehicles which were even equipped with most of the safety features.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 14:36   #20880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
NO car in the world is safe enough even with all the best safety and security features thrown in especially if the nut behind the wheel is hell bent on doing buffoonery with the car. At the end of the day, they are machines and have their own limitations. People have also died in even sturdier vehicles which were even equipped with most of the safety features.
Totally, Safety features would increase your survival chances but that doesn't mean your going to be safe no matter what happens, People specially the ones buying High end car's should understand this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks