Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2016, 17:03   #21166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Normally, when someone had to load such heavy objects, they make sure the weight rests on the axle. The above example looks like a filthy job.
That's common sense isn't it? But then, we have mostly seen trucks load these rolls exactly the way it was on this one.

A simple jolt over a pothole can easily make the weight put a lot of stress on the loading area. In this case you can notice even one of the tires gone flat which might have happened after the load shifted to the axle area or a possibility that this happened only after the truck suffered a flat tire.

IMHO, we have always witnessed these rolls exactly the way it is here but have rarely come across anything where it has broken the truck's loading area! Not really a filthy Job but calculations gone wrong that's it.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 18:04   #21167
Senior - BHPian

It looks to me the reason for the bed to break was overloading.
One roll is heavy enough, if I remember from the last discussion on this topic it weighs close to 40t.

Two such rolls, no wonder the bed broke.

The trailer has 3 axles, and usually the first axle in the set is fitted with worn torn tires.
Old 15th July 2016, 19:46   #21168
Distinguished - BHPian

I did my engineering project at Salem steel plant where these rolls are used extensively. These rolls are normally 15 tonnes each. It cannot be 40tonnes for sure.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 20:24   #21169
BHPian

These are steel coils (finished product from a steel rolling mill). Each of these coils will weigh approx 15 tons. I grew up at Salem Steel Township.

Generally while loading on a truck, they position the coils such that they are on top of the axles.
Old 15th July 2016, 22:27   #21170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I did my engineering project at Salem steel plant where these rolls are used extensively. These rolls are normally 15 tonnes each. It cannot be 40tonnes for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
These are steel coils (finished product from a steel rolling mill). Each of these coils will weigh approx 15 tons. I grew up at Salem Steel Township.

Generally while loading on a truck, they position the coils such that they are on top of the axles.
I was wrong on the weight.
Not sure what the finished product in this case is exactly. From post #20799 on page 1387 of this thread, it says each roll weighs 27t.
Moreover I've never seen two rolls loaded on one truck bed. It's usually just one, or one roll this size and a smaller one.
This trailer would have been loaded many times before the same way which led to this.
Old 15th July 2016, 22:54   #21171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
... .... .... This trailer would have been loaded many times before the same way which led to this.
Time to reflect on the saying that it is the last straw that breaks the camel's back,
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 00:16   #21172
BHPian

A Hilarious accident - one that involved a cyclist.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...onary-car.html
Old 16th July 2016, 01:08   #21173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
A Hilarious accident - one that involved a cyclist.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...onary-car.html
Just a km or two from where I was born! Which makes it a bit offtopic --- but I love the description of the argument. Cyclist rides into stationary car: blames car driver.

~
Old 16th July 2016, 11:22   #21174
Team-BHP Support

The funny bit of the cyclist incident aside, the behavior of the motorist involved (trying to get the offending cyclist's info) is in stark contrast to what happens in India. The cyclist would've left with more than a mangled bicycle and hurt pride if it was in our neck of the woods.

"Exchanging insurance information, you say? What's that? We settle it like MEN in India!"

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th July 2016 at 11:23.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 17:23   #21175
Senior - BHPian

From the video I can see the cyclist initially put up his arms perhaps to say it's all okay. He did have a pretty nasty fall and that's bound to induce some anger and mixed emotions (I've witnessed people not being able to think with a level head in lesser situations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
"Exchanging insurance information, you say? What's that? We settle it like MEN in India!"
Please! Let's not give such high praise. More like Rats than "MEN". Too afraid to admit fault, too pansy to sort it out without their local "contacts".
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 17:43   #21176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Please! Let's not give such high praise. More like Rats than "MEN". Too afraid to admit fault, too pansy to sort it out without their local "contacts".
What have rats ever done to you (except maybe chew a few wires here and there)? . Even rats have enough sense to take turns when a gap is too small for all of them to pile in together.

Looking at humans on road today, one wonders if whoever it is that proclaimed humans the smartest race on earth need their head examined (preferably not by another human).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th July 2016 at 17:45.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 06:56   #21177
BHPian

I received the following pics over Whatsapp. The accident has happened somewhere in Mumbai/Thane suburbs.

It's said that the Hyundai (red) came in the wrong direction and rammed the Range Rover. After that the Hyundai rolled over a couple of times. No casualties but people in the Hyundai needed an ambulance, RR driver was fine.

A news report/someone else clarifying the same would be helpful.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160717wa0002.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160717wa0003.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160717wa0004.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160717wa0005.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160717wa0006.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160717wa0007.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160717wa0011.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160717wa0014.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160717wa0013.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160717wa0012.jpg
Divya Sharan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 12:50   #21178
BHPian

Saw this today morning at ORR near Embassy tech village. Its a yellow board Lodgy, the back and roof was bent.
I couldnt click much pics as I was passing by at 9:30 AM today. Thought of clicking pics when returning, but by about 10:10 when I returned, the vehicle was already towed away.
The only pic that I could click
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160717_094632675.jpg
Old 17th July 2016, 13:16   #21179
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this alto on the higway NH45 near sirugabur, Trichy. Frontal impact, slow speeds, by a truck and sadly none of the two passengers at front wore seatbelts. The cabin was intact though I could find blood stains on seats. The victims are stable I heard.

Please wear seat belts!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20160717_13_02_49_pro.jpg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 17th July 2016 at 13:20.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 13:17   #21180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Sorry, but I don't look at airbags as life savers. ...

Primarily Its the vehicle's structure, then its seatbelts which are life savers. Unnecessary deployment of airbags is rather harmful and may cause serious injuries, especially the children are at highest risk against airbags.

I am not impressed with such an aggressive airbag deployment in Innova Crysta. Apart from safety concerns, repairing the airbags in such large numbers turns out big economical hole in the pocket.
[/i]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
If occupants are not belted (which is very likely in India, especially the rear seat occupants), then deployment of airbags can rather turn out fatal. ....
According to the service adviser, the airbags don't deploy in the Innova if seatbelts are not worn.

Flip side of the story is that airbags are not covered under insurance as per the SA, not even in zero dep insurance and would have caused big hole in the pocket of my cousin if they would have deployed during that crash.
Airbags are a big life saver overall. Just because in the BMW incident they didn't save lives doesn't mean they are useless in all instances. Worrying about the cost of airbags is flawed logic. A car should err on the side of safety and deploy the airbags rather than being programmed for a really high threshold and thereby risking injuries. Take a look at a crash test video at even 56 kmph and see how much damage is inflicted. Therefore, even at a lower speed of around 40 kmph, an occupant can suffer injuries. Airbags are there to prevent or at least lessen these injuries. Sure, once in a while you would have an extra cost due to airbag deployment but on the whole it is a vital safety component and prevention of death or serious injury is far more important than cost.

Finally, many people are labouring under a misconception that airbags do not deploy if seatbelts are not worn. That is absolutely incorrect. Airbags deploy regardless of seatbelt usage in ALL cars. Of course, it is far better to be belted as that provides more protection but the airbags will deploy regardless. Only possible exception is some systems where a sensor would detect if there is a passenger in the front seat and depending on the weight, if the passenger is believed to be a child, then the front passenger airbag may not deploy or would deploy with a lower force. All other airbags in the vehicle would deploy as needed. Similarly, the rear curtain and side airbags would deploy regardless of whether a passenger is belted.

Last edited by SDP : 23rd July 2016 at 06:55. Reason: Please do not quote large posts. It inconveniences other readers especially ones on mobile.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks