Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2016, 10:39   #21211
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

The police had a difficult time controlling curious onlookers, who stopped their vehicles and got out to click pictures of the scene and post on social networking apps
This is seriously very insensitive. People are more keen to take pictures just to put it on social media. I am sure many of these would be people who drive like crazy to reach the destination earlier but wouldn't mind spending hours at the accident spot to take pics. I dont intend to offend anyone but I have known people like this and in the process of this, they end up risking their and other people's lives. Adding to that they cause traffic jams, delaying other people on the way
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 10:53   #21212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
And here in Bangalore, we don't even stop / slow down for school kids waiting to cross. Yes, that's us Bangalore.

-- Torqy
This is my biggest peeve in Bangalore. Cars, Buses, Trucks, Tankers, Bikers - 99% of the junta does not care two hoots about pedestrian crossings and school children.

I have seen a couple of instances first hand when I stopped on the right, the child started crossing but a moron decided to overtake me from the left and barely missed hitting the child by inches.
Another instance when a cabbie actually ran over a girl's leg as she simply froze up to find a cab coming from left of a stationary bus. She was left with a broken ankle, while my friends and I had to give her first aid and shift her to a nearby hospital.

Walking and crossing the road is the most dangerous task on our roads.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 11:12   #21213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Well, there was a Dzire too that was involved in this accident. The Innova not only hit the Santro but also went ahead and hit another car (Dzire) behind this Santro:
The freeway has so many curves and its risky to drive there above 100 KMPH. 140 on the small freeway is an overkill and a definite invite to loose control & cause accidents.
ShaileshHinge is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 11:46   #21214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
The freeway has so many curves and its risky to drive there above 100 KMPH. 140 on the small freeway is an overkill and a definite invite to loose control & cause accidents.
Driven there many times now ever since it was opened.

In fact the recent one was in January itself and we noticed on the opposite carriageway how a Honda City had hit another Santro (Not a Taxi) and they were quarreling on the road by placing flower pots.

The stretch is fast, no doubt but as usual when it comes to fast roads, we have a good chunk of overenthusiastic drivers.
Old 20th July 2016, 13:42   #21215
Senior - BHPian

No pictures to share, but the accident is puzzling.

A relative was doing about 70 kmph in a Vitara brezza(top end model) towards Chennai in the 4 lane, while a volvo bus overtook it at insane speeds after which the car felt unstable and when braked, turned turtle and landed on the opposite lane.

Nobody was seriously hurt and he says there was no collision at all. This happened near SRM college.
Old 20th July 2016, 14:11   #21216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
A relative was doing about 70 kmph in a Vitara brezza(top end model) towards Chennai in the 4 lane, while a volvo bus overtook it at insane speeds after which the car felt unstable and when braked, turned turtle and landed on the opposite lane.
Panic and subsequent reaction that might not always be right? - BRAKING abruptly!!

Not sure if the driver was inexperienced but I have often noticed this trend on highways when you are overtaking someone who is allowing you to, they tend to press the brake pedal for whatever reasons even when their lane is free ahead and they are allowing you to pass next to them.

Secondly, whenever a heavy vehicle passes next to you and if you are unaware by not really paying attention to all your mirrors, the sudden appearance can also result in a bit of uncomfortable feeling while at the wheel.

With all this, if that Volvo with a powerful horn manages to suddenly wake you up from slumber with that loud noise, rest assured, the first thing to reach (as I have noticed) is slam your brakes than do anything else!!

Else, in general, there have been many cases whenever a heavy vehicle has overtaken me and the inertia has ensured to do ts job by passing resistance but never even has the vehicle unsettled from its path.

I am suspecting sudden, unplanned & unintended maneuver along with lack of controlling the steering while doing so?

Of course, this is just an observation from various instances I have witnessed on roads.

See how smallest of the small cars or even brand new cars with "L" stickers suddenly move away when a Bus overtakes them even when there is enough gap on the next lane for them to pass.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th July 2016 at 14:12.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 14:16   #21217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Panic.
Swerve fast and hit brakes at the same time.

bblost is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 14:51   #21218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nobody was seriously hurt and he says there was no collision at all. This happened near SRM college.
I am glad that all occupants of the vehicle are safe. This is what I think might have happened.

Driving at a steady 70kmph on a nice clean divided highway might have lulled the driver into a lower state of alertness. Your relative's Vitara Brezza - moving along at a much slower speed relative to the overtaking bus - would probably have rocked in the air turbulence behind the bus. This rocking motion and the "sudden-ness" of the overtake might have startled the driver into an unintentional steering input and subsequent braking - leading to the kind of scenario posted by @bblost in the video.
Old 20th July 2016, 15:02   #21219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
So this happened today:
This happens to be a daily route for me, so saw the cars in the evening. The cars were totalled, the Innova & the Taxi flattened. The roof of the taxi was cut to remove the bodies.
Its horrific to say the least, Sends shiver's down the spine and need to take a moment before sitting in the car and start driving again, I am not really sure how it actually happened but one thing i have noticed recently is the people speeding on the Eastern freeway which is not the best place to drive fast, The freeway has several places with sharp turns which also creates blind spots in the front, Also have noticed several times on such sharp turns some or the other car breaks down and as usual they never really care to switch on any hazard lights.

A request, Coming from someone who frequently travels on this route, Please drive slow, Specially during the rains, There are water logging on the curves as well.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 15:21   #21220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I keep it simple. When overtaking a bus from the right, or for that matter any vehicle close to the kerb I keep my horns pressed and blaring. Lot of times it has helped me save the human buffaloes which want to cross the road from ahead of a parked vehicle, right into my blind spot. I believe our human buffaloes can only hear sounds, they are quite blind and dumb otherwise.
Please let me share with you one of my unforgettable lessons from my first and most wonderful driving guru, my father. The great thing about my dad's teaching: not only was he able to communicate the technicalities of car control, but he had that knack of putting the most vital stuff in just a few words.

I was driving at a decent speed, and a pedestrian started to cross the road. I did not reduce speed, but hit the horn.

My father's words are etched in my head: What if she had been deaf?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 20th July 2016 at 15:22.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 15:40   #21221
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In the TOI article on the eastern expressway accident:

Quote:
At the time of the accident, it was raining heavily . A source said a stretch along the divider was flooded, causing Sirva not to notice a pothole. He hit it, causing him to lose control of his vehicle. An officer of the RCF police station said, “It's too early to say what exactly happened. We have called experts to analyse the sequence of events and to understand what may have led the Innova's driver to lose control.“ DCP (Zone VI)
I'm guessing it's another fatal accident due to aquaplaning. Take care guys. As our monsoon driving article suggests, stick to the middle lane as it has a lower possibility of flooding.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 16:19   #21222
BHPian

Apart from the EEH accident, there was a car that caught fire on the Western Highway below the Kalina flyover towards Bandra yesterday around noon. Although I saw the car, couldn't take snaps and was no coverage in today's TOI on that.

This is a link to Twitter on that incident. Anyone has any further info on this one? Looked really scary from where I was.
Old 20th July 2016, 16:31   #21223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
This is my biggest peeve in Bangalore. Cars, Buses, Trucks, Tankers, Bikers - 99% of the junta does not care two hoots about pedestrian crossings and school children.

I have seen a couple of instances first hand when I stopped on the right, the child started crossing but a moron decided to overtake me from the left and barely missed hitting the child by inches.
Another instance when a cabbie actually ran over a girl's leg as she simply froze up to find a cab coming from left of a stationary bus. She was left with a broken ankle, while my friends and I had to give her first aid and shift her to a nearby hospital.

Walking and crossing the road is the most dangerous task on our roads.
I have also seen this many times and this is what I do to minimize the risk for the pedestrians crossing the road. I stop well ahead of the pedestrians, so that they will be able to see what is coming in the lane on left side of my vehicle. If I am too close to them especially in a multi lane road, I don't stop for them, even though I feel bad about this.

I have also seen cases where the pedestrians(that too young college students) not using the skywalks on the Outer ring road in bangalore and crossing the roads either with their headphones or merrily chatting with their friends.
nagarjun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 19:53   #21224
Senior - BHPian

Off topic, but it's also a nuisance when there are five people and all five decide to cross at their own times. So what could have been a one minute wait to let all five cross becomes a five minute wait. By that time there are morons in vehicles who cut across and block another five minutes.

Last but not the least, pedestrians on mobiles. They will take a couple of steps, see you coming and just stand ther. No going back and no going ahead. They will be very busy with the phone conversation to make any sensible decision.

I am sorry but I honk loud and clear to tell people to make up their minds and either cross the road or stay clear, but not to stand in my way!
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 09:09   #21225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Please let me share with you one of my unforgettable lessons

My father's words are etched in my head: What if she had been deaf?

I flash headlights as well. Now if he is deaf and blind...God save him...shouldn't be on the road
Jokes apart, I don't slow down especially crossing buses or trucks because it provides incentive to the moron driver to suddenly cut into my lane.

Most Viewed