Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2016, 11:30   #21316
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It would be good if you were to video record such programmes and upload them to Youtube.
Dear Binand and Cherian - hello to you. I will not do this, because this is an internal initiative, only for company people. I knew you would ask . However, I shared only the heading of the program to make the populace aware that it is very important to realize the multi-reasons of why accidents happen on the expressway. The top reason is "genuine ignorance"! People really do not know, I don't blame them. Most of the people just do not realize what they are getting into, they just fill fuel and hit the expressway! . Just to give you a perspective, I spent almost 2 hours on what are the activities to be conducted to repair a tubeless tire which has a puncture, essentially what is actually required to be done v/s what actually happens in the tire shops in a major city in western India. I actually went to 3 tire shops posing as an innocent customer and first-hand saw the nonsense which would have been done to my car tire if it really had a puncture. This was an eye opener for me, also very worrying. A badly repaired tire has no reliability, anything can happen to it anytime! Nobody should take such a chance knowingly or unknowingly, people must be very careful.

Please see the tire and alloy wheel section of this forum, where I have provided the details of the repair process.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:06   #21317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u] I actually went to 3 tire shops posing as an innocent customer and first-hand saw the nonsense which would have been done to my car tire if it really had a puncture. This was an eye opener for me, also very worrying. A badly repaired tire has no reliability, anything can happen to it anytime! Nobody should take such a chance knowingly or unknowingly, people must be very careful.

Please see the tire and alloy wheel section of this forum, where I have provided the details of the repair process.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Well said Sir. Many people give a total disregard when it comes to tyres. How many taxis I have seen that run with pretty much bald tyres. They prefer to run the vehicle at full load and top speed even if the air pressure is less in the tyres. Little do they realize that it is the compressed air that is responsible for pulling the vehicle.
From my side I would suggest the following points
1. Rotate the tyres at the front and back after approx 5000 km. This is to even out the wear on all the tyres
2. Use Nitrogen instead of air. Advantages include cooling the tyre and one need not go every fortnight or so for tyre inflation. With Nitrogen, even after 3 months or so, the tyre pressure reduces by max 1-2 psi .
3. Once tyre rotation is done go for wheel alignment.
4. Before going on a long distance trip or forest trip, it would be better if you check the tyre and tube condition.

Finally not but not the least, drive safe

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd August 2016 at 11:39. Reason: Corrected balancing > alignment. Thanks!
Old 29th July 2016, 12:22   #21318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
2. Use Nitrogen instead of air. Advantages include cooling the tyre and one need not go every fortnight or so for tyre inflation. With Nitrogen, even after 3 months or so, the tyre pressure reduces by max 1-2 psi .
There is no advantage with Nitrogen. What you are seeing is placebo effect. Adding 22% more Nitrogen won't affect that much.

You will be better served with having tyre inflator at home and measuring tyre pressure once a week before you roll. I found my tyre don't lose pressure even single psi for months! Checking tyre pressure when they are cold will give you correct reading.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd August 2016 at 11:39. Reason: Quoted post corrected.
RaguHolla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 13:30   #21319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Use Nitrogen instead of air. Advantages include cooling the tyre and one need not go every fortnight or so for tyre inflation. With Nitrogen, even after 3 months or so, the tyre pressure reduces by max 1-2 psi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
There is no advantage with Nitrogen. What you are seeing is placebo effect. Adding 22% more Nitrogen won't affect that much. You will be better served with having tyre inflator at home and measuring tyre pressure once a week before you roll
Exactly! In fact, the Nitrogen filling equipments do not fill 100% N2, I would put it at 95%. An extra 17% N2 in place of Oxygen and other gases in the tyre is not going to give you any drastic improvement. Guilty as charged, I was also a proponent of Nitrogen in tyres, but closer observations revealed that it's only placebo and there has been no looking back.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 16:45   #21320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Once tyre rotation is done go for wheel balancing.
In my Punto I find a drop of 2 psig every month, hence I make it a point to visit the refill station for N2 every month.
Second point should be other way round isn't it? First wheel balancing and then tyre rotation, followed by wheel alignment.
Old 31st July 2016, 11:59   #21321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I learnt here that balancing required only if tyre is removed from rim.
Unrelated to this thread : A wheel will get imbalanced due to tread wear and also if over time previous weights come off their clips due to bad road conditions. So it's not imperative that only a tyre demount will affect wheel balancing.
Old 31st July 2016, 12:09   #21322
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Please stick to the topic of the thread. Off-topic posts would be deleted here on.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 22:34   #21323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
In the right (fast) lane was another car which was trying to overtake me. From behind me (in the middle lane) comes an Innova Funny thing is that the left lane was totally free.

Running the risk of sounding preachy, may I point out that the middle lane is the' fast' lane, and the left lane which was empty , is the slow lane.
The lane closest to the divider is the' overtaking' lane.
Actually, you should have been in the left lane.
john doe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 23:25   #21324
Distinguished - BHPian

An almost new Chevrolet Cruze damaged in Kolkata and seized by the police.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn1308.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn1309.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160727_134543891.jpg
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:27   #21325
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: All discussion about bridge collapse on NH17 between Mahad and Poladpur has been moved to a separate thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...shed-away.html
Old 3rd August 2016, 19:15   #21326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Exactly. I think the biker was not really wrong here - he didn't check the oncoming traffic as much.

I think the car driver is at total fault here. There was a zebra crossing where this two wheeler crossed. There could've been pedestrians as well.

In all likelihood the speed limit for the area would be ~30/50 or so as is often the case for villages. The car guy was going too fast to be able to yield to a pedestrian. Had he been slow enough for pedestrians, he would've been able to brake in time. Stark illustration of the need for defensive driving.
I fully agree with you. Technically it is the error of the two wheeler as he cut in front of the straight moving car which had the right of way. However, in real life Indian scenario, people cut across lanes, cross on foot, stop wherever they want and generally disregard all traffic laws. Hence, to be safe, one has to practice extreme defensive driving regardless of the right of way. In this case, it was a narrow road in the middle of businesses and the car was driving way too fast. Any number of pedestrians, cycles and two wheelers along with animals can be expected to come in your way at any time. A child can run across as an example.

In such circumstances, a prudent speed would be around 40 kmph or 50 to 60 max if the road is completely empty. In the US where there are much emptier streets, better traffic discipline and wide roads, most populated roads have a speed limit of 25 mph or just under 40 kmph. It would be extremely foolish to drive faster than this in a populated area in India with all the expected interruptions. If the car had been traveling less than 60 kmph and had been looking ahead in anticipation, it would have slowed down and even braked a bit and honked to alert the scooterist. The scooterist then might not have crossed or the car would have to able to stop or at the very least lessen the impact.
Old 3rd August 2016, 19:29   #21327
BHPian

A Maruti Baleno and Volkswagen Jetta collided on a street in Perumbavoor, Kerela. As reported in Rushlane.

Made with mettle Vs German metal!!!!!!
Seems the Baleno front end was crushed like a tin can with a huge hammer head.
Thanks to ABS and Airbags, all occupants are safe.
But seeing the picture of Baleno, leaves several question in head.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1470232526502.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1470232538468.jpg  

redbaron91 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 19:40   #21328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
A Maruti Baleno and Volkswagen Jetta collided on a street in Perumbavoor, Kerela. As reported in Rushlane.

Seems the Baleno front end was crushed like a tin can with a huge hammer head.
Thanks to ABS and Airbags, all occupants are safe.
But seeing the picture of Baleno, leaves several question in head.
Another example of what built quality means, My Jetta too was banged by a tempo, Seat belt got locked! That much was the force of impact, Going out to check the damages.. NIL.

I am not saying maruti makes very vulnerable cars, All i am saying is german built quality is really good which is surely an advantage.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 19:42   #21329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Woah redbaron91, that probably shows the difference between:

Being TIGHT and Being LIGHT !!

On a more serious note, are you sure the Baleno actually rear ended the Jetta there. Not sure if its the angle of the picture, but Jetta does not even seem to have as much as dent and the Baleno's Bonnet is crumpled??

P.S - That look on the face of the person in Red T says it all - What is this Car made of ???? LOL

Last edited by Vik0728 : 3rd August 2016 at 19:44.
Old 3rd August 2016, 19:55   #21330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A Maruti Baleno and Volkswagen Jetta collided on a street in Perumbavoor, Kerela. As reported in Rushlane. .
I doubt these cars have hit each other. In fact, I don't think the jetta has hit anything at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks