Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2016, 18:06   #21541
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

An accident that happened around 3 weeks ago just while moving out of Cochin airport. Couldnt get time to transfer pics and hence the delay.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160726_150728.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160726_150710.jpg

Rear end of the dzire is almost gone for a toss
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160726_140925.jpg

Enjoy just suffers some front end bumper damage and ofcourse a damaged radiator.

Last edited by centaur : 21st August 2016 at 18:09.
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 19:45   #21542
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All of us have done stupid things in our teenage years. I'm just glad that, when we were young, all we could get our hands on were 37 BHP Marutis, 41 BHP 137Ds and 52 BHP 118 NEs. The roads were safer & far less populated then. I'm genuinely happy that I didn't start driving on a 100+ BHP sedan.

Drive safe, kiddos. Take your time to polish your driving skills. Cars are too fast these days, and the roads full of too many idiots.
So true GTO. The best part was, even though we had access to such low BHP cars, we were enjoying driving those cars rather than trying to figure out how fast they can go on public roads. Have seen kids who have just entered college ripping cars like Verna's, Vento's on public roads and that too either on heavy traffic roads or late nights totally unaware of consequences.
RAPTOR-XUV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 20:47   #21543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Enjoy just suffers some front end bumper damage and ofcourse a damaged radiator.
Look at it my way - the Maruti can still drive away but the Enjoy cannot!
anupmathur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 20:51   #21544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
An accident that happened around 3 weeks ago just while moving out of Cochin airport. Couldnt get time to transfer pics and hence the delay.
What went wrong? The Enjoy was tailgating the Dzire?
Old 21st August 2016, 21:28   #21545
Distinguished - BHPian

Today, I witnessed an accident and one which could have affected me too (fortunately it didn't)
I was returning back with my friend's and my family to Bengaluru.
I was driving on the new NH948 (Kanakapura road)
I had just crossed Malavalli town and in front of my car, there was an indicab.
I looked at him braking and prepared to slow down, when suddenly I saw something hit the indicab.
Within a fraction of a second a motorbike had hit the indicab's mirror and the riders fell down.

My immediate action was to go left to avoid the bike coming and hit me. Also I had to avoid hitting the indicab who was now at a standstill. I was successful in both

I stopped my car and wanted to help. But my wife was afraid and asked me not to turn back since she also didn't want the kids in the car to see any such thing.
In the mean time, lot of people had gathered quickly.

I stopped for a while and checked out what happened and a old lady riding pillion was not responding to anything. It was fatal.
The rider of the motorbike got up soon and seemed ok apart from minor injuries.
Someone called 108 for the ambulance and it arrived within 5 minutes as it was very close to the town.

A recording on my dashcam is attached below

It was clearly a bad overtaking move. two two-wheelers were already on the lane and this motorbike tried to overtake them by crossing the lane and he hit the mirror of the indicab.
From the video I can see that once he hit, the car's mirror broke down, the rider lost his grip on the handle and fell down. the old lady's head hit the road directly.
They looked like locals of the area and both of them were not wearing helmets.
It also clearly demonstrates the sheer negligence for safety that we see in our rural countries where National Highways run through villages.

Attached is a gif and also some snapshots from the video
Name:  ezgif.comresize.gif
Views: 31498
Size:  2.47 MB

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg
This is where I saw the motorbike crossing the line and hitting the car's ORVM

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg
The biker lost grip of the handle. See the ORVM and the biker's sandals falling on the ground here

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg
the last image captured in my dashcam showing the old lady almost on the ground

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd August 2016 at 07:01. Reason: Corrected. :)
hemanth.anand is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 21:39   #21546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Today, I ---
It was clearly a bad overtaking move. two two-wheelers were already on the lane and this motorbike tried to overtake them by crossing the lane and he hit the mirror of the indicab.

-----
Th ground
Oh, Deja Vu.
This is exactly what happened to me, except that I was in the indicas place. God bless our laws, because the indica guy will be held at fault.
Is it possible that you could share this to the fellow somehow? It could save him from a world of trouble.
mayankk is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 21:57   #21547
Senior - BHPian

I guess the biker had decided to overtake the bike when that bike shifted a bit to cross the cyclist. That left to a bit of an issue for this guy and to avoid the shifting biker he had to weave a bit thus hitting the indica :(

Sad affair and yes the video if shared to the indica person would be a big boon for him.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 22:41   #21548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It also clearly demonstrates the sheer negligence for safety that we see in our rural countries where National Highways run through villages.
Very true - the two wheeler rider showed no patience and went charging ahead, in the wrong lane to boot. The Indicab was also somewhat boxed in with another two wheeler ahead of him and to his left.

Good driving by you too - you avoided rear-ending the Indicab, and also made the transition from tarmac to mud safely. Also, off-roading was the smarter decision here, since you had a truck behind you which might have hit you if you'd come to a stop behind the Indicab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Is it possible that you could share this to the fellow somehow? It could save him from a world of trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Sad affair and yes the video if shared to the indica person would be a big boon for him.
Yep - I echo this. I usually view yellow-boards to be the instigators (word copyright Skoda!) of accidents, and that is how public opinion might sway. If there is any way this could be shared with the authorities, particularly given the fatality involved, it will be your good deed in absolving the Indicab driver of blame.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd August 2016 at 07:02. Reason: Quoted post removed.
arunphilip is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 23:46   #21549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Was it lack of control? Or was it what many consider to be fun driving?

And let's be honest here: How many of us keep our acceleration/braking to the gentle style that maximises fuel economy and passenger comfort but is also a little boring? Confession from granddad here: I don't!

But the idea of cars being something for youngsters to have fun in... That needs some deep thought.
Whether it was lack of control or just for fun, it was scary for people around. As I could see they were not seasoned drivers but novice taking charge of a powerful vehicle. Such things should be kept under check by asking to see their DL and ensuring public safety.
sourav.info111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 07:00   #21550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Sharing the video didn't occur to me at that instant but we discussed this in the car during the remaining part of the journey.
I also tried to search for the vehicle details in the RTO website. But unfortunately for the cab driver, that website is temporarily down.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd August 2016 at 07:02. Reason: Corrected OP.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:05   #21551
Distinguished - BHPian

So dads and grandads, even ambassador (which according to them is invincible) isnt safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20160822_09_46_25_pro.jpg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd August 2016 at 10:11.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:32   #21552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Look at it my way - the Maruti can still drive away but the Enjoy cannot!
Drive maybe to the nearby garage but not more than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What went wrong? The Enjoy was tailgating the Dzire?
Not really tailgating but definitely behind it with some distance. This happened while nearing the exit where you need to show the receipt for parking. Luckily both vehicles were pretty much at around 15 kmph at max but the damage on the dzire makes it seem otherwise. Nothing happened to any of the people in either of the cars apart from maybe a shock of the impact
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:53   #21553
BHPian

A 23-year-old software engineer was killed and three people were injured when a car toppled on NICE Road in Thalaghattapura police station limits in the early hours of Sunday.

The deceased has been identified as Supreeth Gowda, originally from Kolar, and a resident in HSR Layout. He was working in an IT firm in the same area.

According to the police, Supreeth and his three friends went on a long drive in a hatchback from Arekere on Saturday night. They entered Arekere Road through NICE Road and were headed to a café on Mysuru Road.

Rammed into boulder
Supreeth was sitting in the passenger seat. It was around 12.45 a.m. when the car was reportedly overspeeding. The driver lost control after which the car slid off the road and rammed into a boulder.

Owing to the impact of the crash, the car toppled and skidded off a few metres before coming to a halt. Passersby rushed to help and alerted the police.

Software engineer killed as car topples on NICE Road

The injured were shifted to hospital where Supreeth was declared “brought dead”. The other three sustained multiple fractures but are said to be out of danger, according to Thalaghattapura police.

“We have booked a case of death due to negligence against the driver and are waiting for the medical report to ascertain whether he was drunk,” a senior police officer said.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...gn=WidgetPromo
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-22bgaccident_2981288g.jpg  

virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 14:39   #21554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

What will you guys do if you were the biker? Me, would have waited in the middle of the road with my blinkers on, just like what you do when you drive the car. But I don't know how practical that is on Kerala roads because I can see the peril of that method, better bet would be to do as what the biker did above, but wait until the traffic from both side are clear.

Man, that i20 was travelling too fast.
I was almost obliterated once on a highway only for my pillion , my brother, to stop me just before I ventured on to the road after pulling up on the margin of NH 2 to make a U turn . The culprit vehicle was an SUV likely doing speeds betwen 150-200km , I had seen it coming , I just had not expected it to come like a rocket . It was mind numbing fast .

Since then I religiously pull up to the side of the road , carefully look both side and only negotiate the turn if I am dead sure. I wait even it means often spending 5 minute where a daredevil might make the u turn in 15 seconds . It is just not worth it after that scary highway near death experience .
basuroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:20   #21555
BHPian

Saw this in the papers today. Looking at the damage, I wonder what speeds were both vehicles doing. According to the article, both occupants in the X3 walked away with minor injuries. Sadly, all 3 in the Ecosport did not make it. The accident happened at a popular beach resort area which is around 3 - 4 hours away from Kolkata.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-metmandermani.jpg
(Picture taken from 'The Telegraph', online edition)
fordfreak is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed