Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 18:19   #21601
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Linea Owners can confirm this:
I see alloys, but no Steering mounted controls, and no airbags as well.
Is this the Active Variant?
or the Dynamic one ? In that case, why didnt the Airbag deploy?
This should be a non-airbag version. The storage compartment on the upper side of the dashboard on the passenger side can be seen open. The airbag version does not have an openable storage there, instead has the passenger airbag packed in.

Red circled:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-linea.jpg
sandsun7 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 19:26   #21602
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
What speeds did this happen at?!
Nonetheless, the Linea fared exceptionally well! The primary crumple zones, i.e. the front bumper, fenders have not even been involved and yet there's not much intrusion in the cabin.
The Linea seems to be made of a well designed and top quality steel.

I had heard of fiat's general solidity. This is the first real world example I've seen.

Other manufacturers seem to take the meaning of "crumple" zone literally. The front just gives up the ghost. And makes new ghosts of its passengers.

Fiat reads the same rule differently. The other vehicle crumples. Not yours.

Many manufacturers claim in their print ads that in a head on collision the front acts like an accordion. Somewhat like a radio antenna that collapses within itself. Or our Indian musical instrument, the harmonium's movable panel.

None of the pictures of accidents on this thread and elsewhere look musical to my eye. It's more like Peter Gabriel's sledgehammer based decoration.

I'm glad that the Linea owner is okay.

I'm reminded of a friends dad who met with a similar accident and walked away scolding the other driver.

This person was extremely well off. He could probably buy the BMW factory with his daily earnings. And have loose change to buy the Merc. factory by noon the next day.

Around 60-65 at the time, he had a liking for HM ambassadors. Every 3-4 years he would buy a new one. In the same color as the previous one. Steve Jobs only had black shirts. This gentleman had the same philosophy.

His driver and he were on Old Madras road. This person (our hero) was in the back. Seat belts were not mandatory at that time. I mean, it wasn't required to be installed at all by the company.

This was a petrol non-Isuzu engine. I don't think it was doing more than 70kmph. It met a TN Pallavan transport bus head on. It should have resulted in a full page obituary the next day. Didn't happen.

The amby was still in running condition with just a 1 feet dia. indentation on its bonnet. The spirit of Calcutta chrome handle type of thing got bent. That's all.

The bus - it's radiator was broken and leaked rusty water, headlights section downwards was almost in the Aluminium mineral form.

Our hero and his driver had many things to tell the bus driver. Luckily nobody understood each other. This guy didn't know a word of Tamil. That driver didn't know a word of Telugu.

The amby for whatever reason, luck, steel profile or gods grace saved their lives.

His kids got psyched seeing the bus. They bought him a top end Merc. soon after that.

He was never really happy with it. Maybe it didn't have the amby's high rear seating. I didn't ask.

I know he was unhappy from seeing family photos. He had half or a quarter of a smile with all his amby's. None after the M.

Last edited by hangover : 25th August 2016 at 19:38.
hangover is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 19:48   #21603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
The Linea seems to be made of a well designed and top quality steel.

I had heard of fiat's general solidity. This is the first real world example I've seen.

Other manufacturers seem to take the meaning of "crumple" zone literally. The front just gives up the ghost. And makes new ghosts of its passengers......
Wow! That's quite something! That too without seatbelts!

Not all manufacturers. A "crumple zone" has been named very aptly, so yes it has to be taken literally. Those specific panels need to crumple, and in the process absorb the energy transferred from the other vehicle. If those parts were rigid, all the energy would be transferred to the cabin, and the occupants would feel every bit of it, resulting in the body hitting the dashboard, as well as internal organs running helter-skelter. I did myself wonder, when I was a kid, that if my Hot Wheels car doesn't break on hitting a wall, why aren't real cars made that sturdy?
It's Newton's law of inertia, Momentum transfer and conservation of energy all together!
There are calculations based on material,etc. to make something that can absorb enough energy and at the same time, not completely deform until the cabin.
Sadly, some manufacturers nowadays are least bothered about occupant safety and do cost-cutting in the WRONG areas! "Oh, we've to provide a touch-screen infotainment system! Let's not put those reinforcements at the joints, that'll save us some money."
Rohan24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 20:00   #21604
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I thought this was a pretty good initiative to help prevent accidents at night, as well as injuries to the animals:
Name:  CowCapture.PNG
Views: 9093
Size:  541.1 KB

Source
Rehaan is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 20:29   #21605
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this video online. Dont have information about the circumstances leading to the accident or the fate of occupants.

However, seeing a heavy vehicle like XUV just skate over the road is scary.

mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 21:16   #21606
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
...Not all manufacturers. A "crumple zone" has been named very aptly, so yes it has to be taken literally. Those specific panels need to crumple, and in the process absorb the energy...
That's a good explanation.

Hot wheels strength persuaded someone to wonder once - if the black box is the only thing that survives an air crash, why isn't the whole plane made of the same material?

But you know, we have the automotive research institute (ARAI) an official govt. certification body who test all cars before it's sold in India.

Isn't it their job to point out a defective design? Or if some manufacturer uses paper thin steel instead of the standard gauge?

It's all good to have NCAAP or euro 5* level safety. How about ARAI level safety becoming a respected brand?

They have testing tracks and many costly measuring instruments as per their website.

All people working in such critical bodies and having certification issuing authority must be paid very high salaries.

It can't be like a municipality level babu type pay scale. Lives are at stake here.

So that's one more item for my to do list when I'm the PM.

Or dictator.

Last edited by hangover : 25th August 2016 at 21:42.
hangover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 21:53   #21607
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I thought this was a pretty good initiative to help prevent accidents at night, as well as injuries to the animals:
Attachment 1547177

Source
Genius.

I'm inspired to paint my kids ears with some human safe luminous material.

And FYI, chewing a popular gum can't brighten teeth enough to illuminate a tennis court.

Rinsing with 3% hydrogen peroxide will brighten your mandibles enough to replace your bedside night light.

P.S.: I may have missed my medicine doze today. I'd better check.
Old 25th August 2016, 22:19   #21608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
That's a good explanation.

Hot wheels strength persuaded someone to wonder once - if the black box is the only thing that survives an air crash, why isn't the whole plane made of the same material?

But you know, we have the automotive research institute (ARAI) an official govt. certification body who test all cars before it's sold in India.

Isn't it their job to point out a defective design? Or if some manufacturer uses paper thin steel instead of the standard gauge?

It's all good to have NCAAP or euro 5* level safety. How about ARAI level safety becoming a respected brand?

So that's one more item for my to do list when I'm the PM.

Or dictator.
LOL.

Actually, since its a govt. organisation I don't think the payscales are all that fancy at ARAI.
Moreover, they don't have a full fledged crash test facility. Merely a small building where individual body parts are "crash" tested.
I don't think there is any world-class crash test facility in India at the moment.
And even if they were capable, I think they're handicapped due to the politics involved. Final authority rests in the hands of the Ministry of Road transport and Highways.

Most of the limelight is currently on lowering emissions, and mumbo jumbo such as "Let's impose a tax on cars which have GC higher than 175mm! Because that directly affects a car's emissions, doesn't it?"
Old 25th August 2016, 22:50   #21609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What about the tail light?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 00:50   #21610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Tail lights not needed as these mammals follow the traffic rule of walking on the side, facing oncoming traffic
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 07:40   #21611
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1547177

Source
I saw these in 100's during my recent trip to Jhansi from Delhi! They notoriously sit in the middle of the road (in groups) despite open grassland available on both sides.

The article mentions radium which is incorrect. These were reflector based tape. It did help noticing them.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 10:04   #21612
BHPian

A drunk woman kills 1 and injures 1!

Quote:
The woman drove a car over the footpath, killing a 50-year-old man and injuring a youth besides damaging the compound wall of a house and a motorcycle.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ath-kills.html

Last edited by LoneRidder : 26th August 2016 at 10:06.
Old 26th August 2016, 10:14   #21613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Haha!

On a serious note, thankfully the horns of the animal are visible from the rear too

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
The article mentions radium which is incorrect. These were reflector based tape. It did help noticing them.
Yes! I thought that the first time I saw the post, but forgot to clarify when sharing it here...
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 10:54   #21614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Tail lights not needed as these mammals follow the traffic rule of walking on the side, facing oncoming traffic
Echo this. Just today while driving to office I was the first one at the signal. WHile the humans crossed from anywhere on the road (none on the zebra crossing), a dog very faithfully crossed only over the zebra crossing. Infact it went half way through and waited for the signal on the other to turn red before crossing that half while the humans were dogging the cars without waiting for the signal. Sometimes, animals teach a lot more than what we learn in schools and colleges yet they are looked down upon

Last edited by centaur : 26th August 2016 at 10:56.
centaur is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 11:09   #21615
BHPian

Toppling a SUV requires just two sharp steering inputs and an unskilled driver. Physics constantly works to take those tires off the ground in high GC SUVs driven at high speed, one wrong maneuver and you are head over heals

check out moose test for Jeep grand Cherokee -

Btw, XUV occupants should have walked away with minor (or no) injuries, had they worn the seat belts but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Saw this video online. Dont have information about the circumstances leading to the accident or the fate of occupants.

However, seeing a heavy vehicle like XUV just skate over the road is scary.

Last edited by Acharya : 26th August 2016 at 11:29. Reason: updated text
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks