Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2016, 11:15   #21616
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Linea Owners can confirm this:
I see alloys, but no Steering mounted controls, and no airbags as well.
Is this the Active Variant?
or the Dynamic one ? In that case, why didnt the Airbag deploy?
I guess this one to be the pre 2012 model where you had active, dynamic, emotion and emotion pack. Emotion pack got both ABS and airbags where as the emotion variant just got ABS, pretty clear from the ACC in the car.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 11:40   #21617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What about the tail light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Tail lights not needed as these mammals follow the traffic rule of walking on the side, facing oncoming traffic
Remember sometime in early 2000's there were a flurry of road accidents in kerala involving vehicles rear-ending elephants being walked at night to different festivals. Then it was made mandatory to have 'tail' reflectors - big circular red/amber reflectors attached to the tail of the elephant.

One night, I was riding my Victor and with its puny headlight, I could only see this bright round light swinging left and right and left. It confused the heck out of me and only after coming at a decent distance I noticed that this was a reflector attached to the tail of the elephant.
Horizon81 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 14:23   #21618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
pretty good initiative to help prevent accidents at night, as well as injuries to the animals:
And here was someone who had let the buffaloes loose on the expressway for grazing; thankfully it was under natural light:
Quote:
REGULAR AFFAIR - Villager booked after 15 buffaloes head to expressway to graze

A cattle owner was booked on Wednesday for letting buffaloes loose on PuneMumbai expressway near Urse toll post to graze on the greens along the road and on the median.
As many as 15 buffaloes strayed on the fast lanes of the expressway around 8.30am on Wednesday , prompting the officers of the highway safety patrol (HSP) to file a case against the owner, Ranjit Kaluram Verma from Urse, for posing a threat to motorists.

Upon investigation, the officers got to know that Verma, who hails from Madhya Pradesh, regularly brings his cattle to the expressway for grazing.

Superintendent of police, HSP Pune, Amol Tambe said his team spotted the buffaloes while inspecting the expressway . “We were brainstorming about the traffic jams and accidents on the ex pressway when the animals suddenly appeared in front of our vehicle from nowhere,“ Tambe said. After inspection, we found that the fence and safety wall along the expressway have been broken at many places to allow people and in this case, animals, an easy access to the fast lane.

“Consequently , a survey will be carried out to identify the broken walls and fences,“ he added.

These punctures, HSP officers suspect, may have been created to even allow twowheeler riders to enter the expressway .

“Two-wheelers, bullock carts and three-wheelers are not allowed on the expressway ,“ they said.

Meanwhile, expressing serious concerns over the cattle straying the expressway , Tambe said that these animals could cause several fatal accidents.

“Investigations have revealed that Verma owns six buffaloes. On Wednesday , he brought buffaloes of other owners as well to graze along the expressway ,“ he added.

Verma has been booked under the sections 283 (Danger or obstruction in public way or line of navigation) and 289 (Negligent conduct with respect to animal) of Indian Penal Code (IPC). The case has been lodged with the Talegaon Dabhade police.

TIMES VIEW

Straying of animals on the Pune-Mumbai expressway has been a major problem and safety hazard since the beginning.However, it took 15 buffaloes to wander on the eway on Wednesday to elicit any significant action from the authorities.This could have caused a serious accident considering that motorists travel at break-neck speed on the thoroughfare and would have found it impossible to control their vehicles.Authorities have been dragging their feet in implementing measures to make the expressway safe, be it installation of CCTV cameras, plugging the punctures in the median or the boundary wall and taking exemplary action against traffic rule violations. Users of the expressway who pay toll have a right to expect better facilities and greater safety.
Link to the Article
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 15:16   #21619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
...... It's all good to have NCAAP or euro 5* level safety. How about ARAI level safety becoming a respected brand?
They have testing tracks and many costly measuring instruments as per their website.
All people working in such critical bodies and having certification issuing authority must be paid very high salaries.
It can't be like a municipality level babu type pay scale. Lives are at stake here. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
LOL. Actually, since its a govt. organisation I don't think the payscales are all that fancy at ARAI.......
I think they get paid handsomely. @Rohan24 - I Agree with the rest though.

ARAI website has information about the salaries of their staff (thanks to RTI act):

Director 67000 – 79000
Senior Dy. Director 37400 – 67000; GP Rs. 10000
Dy. Director 37400 – 67000; GP Rs. 8900
General Manager 37400 – 67000; GP Rs. 8700
Dy. General Manager 15600 – 39100; GP Rs 7600
Manager 15600 – 39100; GP Rs 6600
Dy. Manager 15600 – 39100; GP Rs 5400
Engineer / Executive 9300 – 34800; GP Rs 4600
(Link here)

GP stands for Grade Pay.

As per my calculations, a Dy.General Manager at ARAI should be taking home a salary of about Rs.70-80K per month (after taxes & deductions). I only wish their work is commensurate with the salary they draw.

Last edited by srvm : 26th August 2016 at 15:21.
Old 26th August 2016, 15:34   #21620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
A drunk woman kills 1 and injures 1!

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ath-kills.html
Well, we all know how this will end right? Sad that a person has to die again due to drunk driving. I just cannot understand how people still cannot get it - no drinking and driving!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 17:06   #21621
Senior - BHPian

A bit of excitement in our otherwise quiet street.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170058.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170123.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170156.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170237.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170306.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170358.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170416.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170438.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170456.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170512.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170531.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170552.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160826_170609.png  

schakravarthy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 23:25   #21622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
A bit of excitement in our otherwise quiet street.
This happened earlier this week in front of my apartment. Finally another concrete mixer came to rescue this one.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160822_174701.jpg
arjithin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 02:29   #21623
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I think they get paid handsomely. @Rohan24 - I Agree with the rest though.

ARAI website has information about the salaries of their staff (thanks to RTI act):

Director 67000 – 79000
Senior Dy. Director 37400 – 67000; GP Rs. 10000
Dy. Director 37400 – 67000; GP Rs. 8900
General Manager 37400 – 67000; GP Rs. 8700
Dy. General Manager 15600 – 39100; GP Rs 7600
Manager 15600 – 39100; GP Rs 6600
Dy. Manager 15600 – 39100; GP Rs 5400
Engineer / Executive 9300 – 34800; GP Rs 4600
(Link here)

GP stands for Grade Pay.

As per my calculations, a Dy.General Manager at ARAI should be taking home a salary of about Rs.70-80K per month (after taxes & deductions). I only wish their work is commensurate with the salary they draw.
That is indeed a very good salary. You must have spotted the basic problem with this though. Maybe you were too polite to mention it.

The engineer gets a maximum of 38k and is the one who does the testing, crash impact measuring etc. Then prepares a report with recommendations to the next link in that chain.

Hypothetically, as in Disneyland types, if I was such an engineer and was gifted some color crayons by say, WV auto , I would be flexible in my testing.

My next 3 lines are related to this but totally non automotive. Requesting admins to be flexible.

So, there was a chief of the lok ayuktha, an anti corruption wing of the government. He sent many "big" politicians to jail for extended periods with his meticulous investigation and proof of wrong doings artifacts. If you offered him 100 crores to forget about say,your 500 crore lottery scam he woud laugh at you.

Later you would voluntarily walk into jail and eat the key because you found out his net worth. His individual wealth from entirely external family businesses was and still is (receipted and white) > 5000 crores. What bribe can anyone offer such a person?

Okay, back to cars.

We have plenty of safety features in modern cars. There is one thing they haven't thought of.

To illustrate, if the road you are on curves right, then your right side view mirror develops a huge blind spot. It is immobile and you can't see anything behind your car or just right of behind you.

This blind spot gets cancelled once the road straightens.

Is my explanation making sense?

This is very apparent while driving on hilly and ghat roads.

So we need side view mirrors which automatically turn a few degrees outwards during a turn so that you continue having the same width of rear vision.

Have other drivers noticed this momentary drop in situational awareness?

My other discomfort is again related to driving in hilly areas. The seatbelt seems to hinder your ability to crane outwards a little to get a better view of the road while overtaking busses and trucks on narrow ghats roads.

Or not even overtaking. If you approach a hair pin bend honking doesn't guarantee that the guy coming from the opposite side will be alerted. You (or maybe just me) prefer to move your body a little ahead towards the steering and try to peer around that corner.

The solution is simple. I can't disclose it. I'll get banned.

Last edited by hangover : 27th August 2016 at 02:43.
hangover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 06:22   #21624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The solution is simple. I can't disclose it. I'll get banned.
The solution is indeed simple and I'll not get banned for disclosing it.
While leaning forward or sideways move a little slower than you are doing and the seat belt will allow you a fair amount of leeway. It is sudden movements that make seat belts 'lock up' in place, since these are velocity/acceleration sensitive devices.
anupmathur is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 06:39   #21625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engineer gets a maximum of 38k and is the one who does the testing, crash impact measuring etc. [...] if I was such an engineer and was gifted some color crayons by say, WV auto , I would be flexible in my testing.

So, there was a chief of the lok ayuktha, [...] individual wealth from entirely external family businesses was and still is (receipted and white) > 5000 crores. What bribe can anyone offer such a person?
Here you seem to be postulating that an individual's integrity is a function of their income. I don't for a moment believe such is the case.
binand is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 08:11   #21626
Senior - BHPian

Got these in a WhatsApp group yesterday. Details were hazy, but it looks like the sales advisor was responsible for the crash.
Does anyone have more info?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160827_081028.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160827_081039.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-forumrunner_20160827_081050.png
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 10:08   #21627
Senior - BHPian

Saw an article about that in a regional daily saying that it was due to over-speeding. Rammed into a roadside hotel. No one injured.

Edit: except for that poor car of course :(
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 12:24   #21628
Senior - BHPian

Another death due to non usage of seat belt by passenger:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.hindu...L15UP_amp.html
Old 28th August 2016, 22:30   #21629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Another death due to non usage of seat belt by passenger
It's sad to see people ignoring very basic safety measure. Learning from this accident, Air India made it mandatory for all its employees to wear seat belts.

After employee's death, Air India makes use of seat belts mandatory for staff
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 09:05   #21630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Another death due to non usage of seat belt by passenger:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.hindu...L15UP_amp.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
It's sad to see people ignoring very basic safety measure. Learning from this accident, Air India made it mandatory for all its employees to wear seat belts.

After employee's death, Air India makes use of seat belts mandatory for staff
And come to think of it. These very same air-hostess / stewards spend a good deal of time telling airline passengers to fasten their seat-belts. And they don't practice the same habit on our roads
srvm is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks