Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2016, 10:39   #21841
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Yesterday, I lost my friend in a bike accident. Skull broke and caved in to the brain.
Hey amalji, really sorry to hear this and condolences to you and your friend's family.

I am a staunch believer in the fact that life is short and unpredictable. But this surely is probably not the way it must end.

Quote:
Please make sure that
  • If there is no option to have a helmet for your pillion, politely refuse the ride and ask him to use public transport.
  • If you are the pillion, never go for the ride without a helmet. Choose public transport and walking over a ride without the helmet.
Personally, the above 2 points must be ENGRAVED into our heads as this is what really causes many a mishap.

Even during such a crisis, I really appreciate your concern in sharing these MUST DO's buddy.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:32   #21842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When you can't see, don't go!

Nothing excuses the entire 2-wheeler manoeuvre from the start to its nasty end.
Absolutely! No arguments on that. Instead of cutting through, the scooterist should have waited to clear vision of the road and then moved on.

On a lighter note, I hope the rickshaw driver for obstructing the field of vision and cause the accident
Old 22nd September 2016, 23:58   #21843
BHPian

I just came across this news that seems to answer my question a few posts back, on whether video footage helps a driver avoid punishment when it is not his fault. It seems to be as what Chetan said.

CCTV footage shows man jumping to death before doctor's car

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-news_sucide.jpg
The summary is that a man committed suicide by jumping in front of a car. The driver was booked for the death, but CCTV footage clears him.

Quote:
Police then seized Bari`s MUV but let him go after recording a statement. After examining the CCTV camera footage and going through the necessary documentation on Wednesday , police asked Bari to take back his vehicle. “The CCTV footage saved me, else I would have been prosecuted for killing a man,“ Bari said.
Langar Houz inspector M D Javeed said a case was registered under section 304-a (causing death due to rash or negligent act) of IPC but in the wake of clear evidence that the incident was a suicide, the new details will be put up in court.
So it seems that the Police will charge the driver in an accident and it is up to the driver to clear his/her name.

This guy was lucky there was a CCTV footage. There could be many other suicide cases where the driver would have been unnecessarily caught and jailed. And the way some people blindly cross roads, I think they are practically trying to commit suicide!

Note: There is the CCTV video of the suicide on Youtube but not sharing the link as it is not pleasant. For those who still are curious, they can do a Youtube search on "Langar House suicide"

Last edited by DriverR : 23rd September 2016 at 00:04.
DriverR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 07:46   #21844
BHPian

This one happened a month back. The swift driver dozed off a bit and lost control of the car, crashing in to the parapet and fell off the bridge. Apparently there were 8 occupants in the car and 3 were dead, including the driver.

Pferdestarke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:10   #21845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
...There could be many other suicide cases where the driver would have been unnecessarily caught and jailed. And the way some people blindly cross roads, I think they are practically trying to commit suicide!
There could be even greater number of cases where the (innocent) driver of the vehicle would be fleeced to avoid a jail term. This is the usual case, because there will be at least a few relatives of the deceased or lawyers who would be happily fishing in murky waters.
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:18   #21846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
This one happened a month back. The swift driver dozed off a bit and lost control of the car, crashing in to the parapet and fell off the bridge. Apparently there were 8 occupants in the car and 3 were dead, including the driver.
If the car was not overloaded and the passengers were belted, there wouldn't have been any deaths at all. The drop from the bridge to the road below would have been not more than 8 feet and the car landed on all wheels.

The impact with the wall before the car fell off the bridge would have caused the deaths.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 10:12   #21847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dont throw brickbats , but I did some rough calculations, the car covered 3 car lengths in 0.6s which translates to around 70kmph. This decelerates to 0 in one car length which is roughly 5G. Thats quite some force and unbelted occupants would have been smashed around.
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:48   #21848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1509 View Post
This S-Cross belongs to a friend of mine, Rajiv Sharma who is a GM at PTC Punjabi. He posted his own pics on FB. Aug 2015 car. No one was inside the car when it happened. Feel sorry for him and the owner of the other car that took the brunt of this fall.

Attachment 1507538
Saw the same car today after repairs. It is hard to find the damages in a glance. It is hard to find the signs of repair from a distance.
Old 23rd September 2016, 16:36   #21849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
If the car was not overloaded and the passengers were belted, there wouldn't have been any deaths at all.
Unfortunately both the things happened in this case and do happen a lot in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Dont throw brickbats , but I did some rough calculations, the car covered 3 car lengths in 0.6s which translates to around 70kmph.
I must say that's an impressive deduction made from the footage. Sherlock style eh?

Quote:
This decelerates to 0 in one car length which is roughly 5G. Thats quite some force and unbelted occupants would have been smashed around.
Yes indeed! Sudden deceleration is a serious killer when seat belts are not put into the use.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 19:59   #21850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....did some rough calculations, ..70kmph. This decelerates to 0 in one car length which is roughly 5G. Thats quite some force and unbelted occupants would have been smashed around.
Quote:
Sudden deceleration is a serious killer when seat belts are not put into the use.
Quite a distressing video especially to see children suffer.

People hold/seat children on their lap quite unaware of the great danger to the kid.
Assuming 5G was the deceleration force, it translates to the adult (weighing about 70kg) holding the child crushing the child on to the front seat with his/her amplified weight of 350KG (70KG multiplied 5 times at 5G).

Even if the driver was belted and the passenger sitting behind him wasn't belted, the rear passenger would have slammed into the front seat with a crushing weight at 5G , dislodged it and probably crushed the driver.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 20:32   #21851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately both the things happened in this case and do happen a lot in our country.

I must say that's an impressive deduction made from the footage. Sherlock style eh?
Haha! Was doing similar calculations at work and just took this case to, part of my job Speaking of deceleration, I have experienced a max deceleration of 3.5G in a collision avoidance test scenario of full braking from 60-0kmph. Believe me I was disoriented and sick for a few minutes though this was in an S-Class with soft seatbelts and dynamic seats which move to reduce the force. That's why I was curious to know what the passengers would have gone through and did some calculation.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 21:33   #21852
Senior - BHPian

And this happened in Udupi today.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160924wa0021.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160924wa0022.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160924wa0019.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160924wa0018.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160924wa0020.jpg

Apparently this mini bus tried to avoid an idiot crossing the road and fell on a parked car. Surprising thing this is that it landed facing the opposite direction. And I wonder how it toppled - these buses take the curves of the Agumbe ghats like it's an express highway.

The Kwid had just come from repairs yesterday and the owners had gone in to talk to a driving school instructor. No loss of human life, but a few minor injuries.
samaspire is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 17:18   #21853
Distinguished - BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20160925_16030901.jpeg
Saw this accident on NECE road an hour ago. I don't know what this vehicle hit. This Isuzu Dmax was lying on the median facing the opposite direction. There were no other damaged vehicles but there were a big group of people attending to someone on the left most lane( i guess it was the driver of this vehicle). A tow vehicle belonging to the police just arrived at the spot.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 25th September 2016 at 17:20.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 19:53   #21854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Attachment 1558894
Saw this accident on NECE road an hour ago. I don't know what this vehicle hit. This Isuzu Dmax was lying on the median facing the opposite direction. There were no other damaged vehicles but there were a big group of people attending to someone on the left most lane( i guess it was the driver of this vehicle). A tow vehicle belonging to the police just arrived at the spot.
I haven't been on the dreaded NICE road from a long time. But have they had any plans of installing a barricade in between the two sides of the road anytime? I don't know which fool left a huge space between the two sides of the road and call it an expressway. Such incidents where vehicles turn up on the opposite side of the road all of a sudden is something not every driver will anticipate. Neither will the speeds be sane enough to get away from the situation. The dip in terrain in between the roads will make things worse. If a driver dozes off and ends in this ditch, the next moment his car will be flying Motocross style into the opposite lane.
Old 26th September 2016, 09:02   #21855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I guess this was the same one reported in the link;
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...red-goods.html
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks