Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2016, 15:51   #21931
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
See attached photo.
You are underestimating mechanical engineers. Designs for all 3 points have been around for 3000 years.
Take a flat sheet of metal (i.e. any car panel) and weld a 1 inch wide 5 mm thick steel band (called as a "flat" by steel traders) all along its inner side (not visible on outside). .........
And you drop that 1 ton Armada on to the platform at 80kmph, right?
Comparing a vehicle platform (like the one you mentioned) and the body of a car is like comparing apples and oranges. Loading a 1 ton vehicle on a platform and the same vehicle impacting a stationary object at 80kmph are vastly different scenarios (Loading vs Impact).

Last edited by A350XWB : 5th October 2016 at 16:03.
A350XWB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 22:25   #21932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
See attached photo.

You are underestimating mechanical engineers. Designs for all 3 points have been around for 3000 years.

Take a flat sheet of metal (i.e. any car panel) and weld a 1 inch wide 5 mm thick steel band (called as a "flat" by steel traders) all along its inner side (not visible on outside).

Weld these flats at 6 inch gaps. It must be perpendicular to the sheet metal.
Your car (driven by a robot) can have a head on collision with a Russian T-72 tank. You can pick out tank spare parts like depleted uranium from the road and drive away richer.
I would like to introduce two well known mechanical terms:-
Momentum :- which in your rotating fab was not there, since it was a static load the frame took the weight.
Inertia:- god save the car which let alone collides even brushes a 48 Ton tank.
Sorry to break your bubble a T-72 doesn't have depleted uranium in the armor and so you will not get any even if u manage to bust the tank with your reinforced car.
If you could bust a tank with reinforced cars then our govt wouldn't have invested so heavily in Armour piercing ammunition.
RajeVenu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 06:48   #21933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Please make sure that
  • If you are on a 2 wheeler, make sure that you have a proper helmet ( not the for the sake helmets )
  • Make sure that the helmet is properly buckled up. There is no use with the helmet if the helmet flies out of your head in an impact
  • If you have a pillion riding on your back, make sure that he has a helmet as well. You can buy an extra helmet and lock it in your bike. And Pillion's head is as valuable as yours. So, don't buy jugaad helmets to please the traffic police for the same.
  • If there is no option to have a helmet for your pillion, politely refuse the ride and ask him to use public transport.
  • If you are the pillion, never go for the ride without a helmet. Choose public transport and walking over a ride without the helmet.
  • And last, but not the least, do all of the above for yourself and your loved ones, not for the traffic police or the government.
One more important factor: Know the limitation of the 2 wheeler you are riding in terms of power, stability, braking. For eg I own a scooty pep. All scooters have the engine on one side that makes them unstable unlike motorcycles where the engine is in the center.
The point I wish to emphasize is knowing the power of a 75cc scooter, it would be foolish on my part to compete in terms of overtaking a fairly high end bike, bus or any 4 wheeler.
Whenever I ride solo or go with pillion, I ensure that the pillion rider even if it is my son, i ask him to wear helmet.
Secondly I ride cautiously, exercise care while overtaking and maintain sufficient distance between me and the vehicle ahead of me so that in terms of emergency braking I do not rear end the vehicle in front.
As you rightly said accidents do occur if both the parties are wrong, or even if either of the 2 parties are wrong.
From our side let us take care while riding leaving other factors in the hand of destiny.
suresh_gs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 07:02   #21934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Realistically speaking, how many people know the difference between a dashed white line and yellow line? In fact, I learned this difference only when I had to take the written test in UK for license, long long time ago.

Why does one expects drivers/riders to know such difference in India, since it is never informed to them before handing over the license.
There is no proper test to check if you understand the road markings and basic traffic rules.

Problem lies in lack of information among drivers, IMHO Government is solely responsible for this mass ignorance
For the benefit of users I have compiled a small list of the meaning of road markings seen in India

Name:  Image1.PNG
Views: 7386
Size:  278.6 KB
Name:  Image2.PNG
Views: 7402
Size:  616.6 KB
Name:  Image3.PNG
Views: 7406
Size:  485.3 KB
Name:  Image4.PNG
Views: 7579
Size:  528.3 KB
suresh_gs is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 08:04   #21935
Senior - BHPian

^^+1. The more you reinforce your car, it would not crush in case of crashing into a 42T tank, but it would be thrown back by yards if not by miles like a baseball. T72 would have an ant bite and be looking around like Hulk.! Reminds me of Bull bars in front of an Eon.!
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 13:54   #21936
BHPian

I wonder where Netflix got this image from. If it's from a prior accident, it's in bad taste.
Mods, please delete if not appropriate for this thread.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cuecffcvmaaz_jx.png
Old 8th October 2016, 17:41   #21937
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
I would like to introduce two well known mechanical terms:-
Momentum :- which in your rotating fab was not there, since it was a static..
..Inertia:- god save the car which let alone..
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
And you drop that 1 ton Armada on to the platform at 80kmph, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
..crashing into a 42T tank, but it would be thrown back by yards if not by miles like a baseball.!
Old drivers' saying, "He who crashes and bounces off lives to bounce another day."

All three of you are correct in saying that withstanding a static load is vastly different than designing a car shell.

Those two mechanics of materials terms are certainly used in calculating the forces on an automobile at 100 km/h smashing into another object at the same speed. I may have been sleeping in class that day.

We have all seen videos of cars being crash tested. All of them involve simulating or putting test dummies in a head on or side on collision and analyzing their impacts.

Real world accidents are rarely that well organized.

The car could be sliding (sideways, on roof, on its side) or have an impact with an immovable object like a road divider.

The driver(s) may perform actions either helpful (experience, luck, etc.) or harmful (panic, sleep, etc.) to affect the final situation.

I would feel safer in a "strong" car than an impact absorbing body. Sure, it must absorb a lot of punishment.
If that is still not enough and the driver is about to become the "late" driver, then brute resistance via better materials or design may be used.

The reinforcement ideas were my humble and cheap solutions. My Batmobile of course has time-travel seats. So I merely rewind to a happier state.

In essence, I'm seeking something like those pipe cages in rally cars. It must be designed by Armani or his doppelgänger.

Last edited by hangover : 8th October 2016 at 17:52.
hangover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 17:42   #21938
Senior - BHPian

5 people lost their lives in a Tavera - private bus accident in Kerala.
Accident happened in a narrow road while bus was overtaking an auto.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-idukkiaccidentbus.jpg.image.784.410.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-idukkithankamani.jpg.image.784.410.jpg  

Old 8th October 2016, 17:50   #21939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
5 people lost their lives in a Tavera - private bus accident in Kerala.
Accident happened in a narrow road while bus was overtaking an auto.
Is this car really safe? There is no trace of the A and B pillars on the car's right side...
Old 8th October 2016, 18:17   #21940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
Is this car really safe? There is no trace of the A and B pillars on the car's right side...
Design of Tavera dates back to 1990/91s in its earlier avatar of Isuzu Panther. Except for minor facelifts, I don't think there was any change in the structure. While GM worldwide has moved on to modern models , in India it continues to . Why? Month on month, Tavera is their best selling model, at around 700 units.
Old 8th October 2016, 18:19   #21941
Senior - BHPian

Must have been ripped off to get to the people inside. Reports say the cops came to the scene only after the victims were taken to hospital and that it was the bus passengers who jumped into action to rescue the trapped ones.
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 18:35   #21942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
What more do you expect from an almost head-to-head with a bus? The sheer weight of the bus multiplies the effect of the momentum behind it. Tavera seems to have been doing a decent clip. As a result, other than the seats and the left side doors almost the whole passenger compartment got literally opened up like a tin can. Power of speed, you can say. Even the steering seems to have vanished.

On second thoughts, the emergency personell remove most of the metal in order to facilitate removal of bodies in such cases.
Old 8th October 2016, 18:41   #21943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
What more do you expect from an almost head-to-head with a bus? The sheer weight of the bus multiplies the effect of the momentum behind it. Tavera seems to have been doing a decent clip. As a result, other than the seats and the left side doors almost the whole passenger compartment got literally opened up like a tin can. Power of speed, you can say. Even the steering seems to have vanished.

On second thoughts, the emergency personell remove most of the metal in order to facilitate removal of bodies in such cases.
Reports & eye witness say that Tavera was stationary at the time of impact. Driver pushed his vehicle to the maximum on his side and stopped with headlights flashing, but bus driver misjudged the gap and hit them.
The road was a small ghat road, so bus may be at 60-70 kmph max, but the momentum of the bus caused the damage.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 08:19   #21944
BHPian

Quote:
Reports & eye witness say that Tavera was stationary at the time of impact. Driver pushed his vehicle to the maximum on his side and stopped with headlights flashing, but bus driver misjudged the gap and hit them.
The road was a small ghat road, so bus may be at 60-70 kmph max, but the momentum of the bus caused the damage.
It was in Idukki, and these private bus drivers cares less for anyone. Most of the Kerala roads are narrow due to the terrain, but mindset hasn't changed. Mahesh Natarajan in this forum also suffered worst from these drivers, and not just once!
Old 9th October 2016, 08:34   #21945
BHPian

Quote:
If this is true then its really unfortunate that the Tavera had to take all the impact. I will not be surprised as some mature drivers generally stop seeing danger. The bus driver in this case should be given the max punishment that the law allows (or even request an amendment in law) so that such acts will not be repeated.

If only people realized that the value of life is much more than the sheer thrill of acceleration or bullying on the road.

Quote:
It was in Idukki, and these private bus drivers cares less for anyone. Most of the Kerala roads are narrow due to the terrain, but mindset hasn't changed. Mahesh Natarajan in this forum also suffered worst from these drivers, and not just once!
I have seen this behavior everywhere in kerala. The private bus drivers are rash and no change is visible even in 2016. We had one of the scariest moment at Edapally junction, Cochin when a Private bus almost rammed into our stationary car (waiting for signal) as he was speeding and off roading to overtake another bus. I did not get out of the car or argue as these Private bus drivers got a gang (like the auto rickshaw) and will always be defensive and never scared of the law and police. And the most unfortunate part is if you ever question a rashly driven KeSRTC or Private bus driver, the passengers inside will have the typical comment "Please move on, we cannot waste time arguing and such support will always endorse the drivers behaviour"

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 9th October 2016 at 08:43.
sunishsamuel is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks