Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2017, 09:39   #22861
Senior - BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 2,337 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
But truly speaking, a tyre burst is my ' Sum of all Fears' that I dread on my highway drives. This is one such scary scenario where we absolutely cannot do anything.

I only can hope it doesn't happen to anyone.
If you are not above the speed limit, I think you can control front tyre burst. Don't you think so? Well, that is what I believe. I mean speeds of 80 to 100 will be okay, right. Then comes the question of which car, the tyre profile etc. Hmm, its complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I have experienced tyre burst, twice. Well, sort of.

==========

But I have seen videos of genuine tyre burst, it looks a lot scary. It is almost impossible to control the vehicle during front tyre bursts at high speeds, I think.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th February 2019 at 10:23. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
ecenandu is offline  
Old 24th February 2017, 09:49   #22862
BHPian
 
jaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 570
Thanked: 430 Times
Default

I'm not technically qualified to comment, but as per my knowledge, high-end Cars are safe against tyre burst. I'm not talking about the latest Cars, which are more safe, but Cars which are 20 years Old.

Tyre burst is a regular phenomenon in Middle East, due to high temperature and speeds. I did some research and found that only expats die in tyre burst and very few locals. Locals drive Beemers, Mercs, Cadillac etc., and they change the tyres at regular intervals. The steering straightens when it senses tyre burst or wobbling at high speeds. So, the impact is minimised.

Current generation tyres are tubeless and more gadgetry is available. But for the average Indians, the best solution is to check the tyre condition regularly and not to over inflate.

The other reason could be hitting the divider or hard thing as said by @arun_josie..
jaaz is offline  
Old 24th February 2017, 10:36   #22863
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Madras <-> Cbe
Posts: 1,942
Thanked: 4,747 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
I'm not technically qualified to comment, but as per my knowledge, high-end Cars are safe against tyre burst. I'm not talking about the latest Cars, which are more safe, but Cars which are 20 years Old.

Tyre burst is a regular phenomenon in Middle East, due to high temperature and speeds. I did some research and found that only expats die in tyre burst and very few locals. Locals drive Beemers, Mercs, Cadillac etc., and they change the tyres at regular intervals. The steering straightens when it senses tyre burst or wobbling at high speeds. So, the impact is minimised.

Current generation tyres are tubeless and more gadgetry is available. But for the average Indians, the best solution is to check the tyre condition regularly and not to over inflate.

I am quite baffled by this post. No car is completely safe from tyre bursts..!
High end, or low end, or luxury or sports... absolutely no demarcation here. Its just rubber, no amount of technological advancement in your car will help avoid a burst. At most, you can have a Tyre pressure monitoring sensor in your car, which would tell you if your tyre pressure is low - but still won't predict a burst !

In fact, the low profile tyres on these hihg-end cars are more at risk for cuts and damages than few of the economical cars. Maybe buying Chinese tyres as a replacement would elevate the risk. But no manufacturer would sell a car, fully knowing that the tyres would burst.
aravind.anand is online now  
Old 24th February 2017, 11:05   #22864
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,150
Thanked: 4,664 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I am quite baffled by this post. No car is completely safe from tyre bursts..!
I am not sure if this idea already exists in high end cars. This is just my thought.

To avoid the the impact of Tyre bursts, can't we have a steel or alloy rim (Will call it Metal Tyre for ease of understanding) exactly same as Tyre profile (Size, shape and Treads) and over the Steel Tyre, cover the rubber Tyre.

This will avoid filling of air and hence, there is no chance of Tyre burst. even if in case, assuming it bursts, the car will not get imbalanced because, the steel Tyre will still be of almost same diameter and it will never change its shape. So, there is reduced chance of toppling and uncontrolled median jumping etc

Should this not mitigate the risk of Tyre burst? Is this thought through earlier? Any disadvantage of having this setup?

Last edited by gkveda : 24th February 2017 at 11:06.
gkveda is offline  
Old 24th February 2017, 12:00   #22865
Senior - BHPian
 
samaspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Manipal / Udupi
Posts: 1,603
Thanked: 4,756 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
To avoid the the impact of Tyre bursts, can't we have a steel or alloy rim (Will call it Metal Tyre for ease of understanding) exactly same as Tyre profile (Size, shape and Treads) and over the Steel Tyre, cover the rubber Tyre.

Any disadvantage of having this setup?
1. This system has been implemented and is readily available in the market - in children's cars, bicycles and tricycles.

2. If implemented in cars, you and your passengers will be vibrating all through the journey.

3. The car will be a rattle house in 1 month.

The basic purpose of air in tyres, is that it provides cushioning - it can expand/contract under pressure. Remove the cushioning and we might as well travel in a bullock cart.
samaspire is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 13:50   #22866
BHPian
 
FORTified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore, Indi
Posts: 271
Thanked: 886 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
1. This system has been implemented and is readily available in the market - in children's cars, bicycles and tricycles.

2. If implemented in cars, you and your passengers will be vibrating all through the journey.

3. The car will be a rattle house in 1 month.

The basic purpose of air in tyres, is that it provides cushioning - it can expand/contract under pressure. Remove the cushioning and we might as well travel in a bullock cart.
To add to it, our roads are already in pathetic condition. Now, think of all the metallic tyres ploughing thru them. we can kiss the roads good bye.
AND, you hit the speed bump or pothole and you have oval tyres instantly
FORTified is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 15:42   #22867
BHPian
 
TrailBlazer007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 46
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Had an accident at around 9:30 in the morning on Langford road opposite to Foodworld,Bangalore. Was returning home after dropping friends and family at Marriot and this guy on a goods carrier from the left lane, grazed the bumper. Initial quote for damages is around 20k. Though there were no cuss words and no flying fists exchanged, just the driving licences and insurance.

Called Mahindra RSA and it took a few minutes for the call to go through. On getting connected, the first question was about personal injury/ casualty. Professional in all respects, he immediately noted down the address and within 30-35 minutes the tow vehicle arrived. Impressed for the second time with the company.
No towing charges were levied as the vehicle is still to complete 2 years. Hitched a ride on the tow vehicle and reached chrome motors which was the nearest service station.
I have not registered an FIR but have filled up the insurance claim form. The insurance guys are supposed to come on Monday for inspection. Never claimed an auto insurance beforehand, hence i am unclear of the process to follow. Insurance is B2B and cashless.
The video :

The damaged bumper:
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-20170225_093558.jpg  

TrailBlazer007 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 16:16   #22868
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 839 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

How are you able to drive with that terrible reflection from the dashboard ?
Looks like your car needs a new front bumper. The process is very simple , the surveyor checks the vehicle and approves the claim and then the work starts. Since you have zero depreciation cover you just need to pay the compulsory deductible.
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 16:45   #22869
BHPian
 
TrailBlazer007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 46
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
How are you able to drive with that terrible reflection from the dashboard ?
It is terrible,isn't it? And this is after vinyl wrapping the shiny bits of the dashboard. Go figure. That being said, it really isn't that much. The dash cam's position paints it worse than it actually is.
However, the YODA definitely needs to join the dark side of the force now, his days in the light on the dashboard are up.
Thanks for the info on the insurance bit. Much appreciated.
TrailBlazer007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 19:25   #22870
BHPian
 
FORTified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore, Indi
Posts: 271
Thanked: 886 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post
It is terrible,isn't it? And this is after vinyl wrapping the shiny bits of the dashboard. Go figure. That being said, it really isn't that much. The dash cam's position paints it worse than it actually is.
However, the YODA definitely needs to join the dark side of the force now, his days in the light on the dashboard are up.
Thanks for the info on the insurance bit. Much appreciated.
With ZERO dep B2B, you will end up paying a couple of thousands max. However, your NCB is gone. Find out if your NCB is expensive or the repair bill. Also, ZERO Dep is applicable for first one/two damages only. So, if your insurance is due in near future and repair cost is more than the NCB, it makes sens to claim it. If your insurance comes due, say, in next 8-12 months, you may want to save the ZERO Dep advantage for now. Take the calculated decision.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 20:07   #22871
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Almaden
Posts: 2,888
Thanked: 6,495 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Just tending on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ANI_news/status/835498505833697280

Another case of the front crumple zone not being useful. Waiting for more details.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 25th February 2017 at 20:09.
landcruiser123 is online now  
Old 25th February 2017, 20:16   #22872
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 10,197
Thanked: 20,439 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Another case of the front crumple zone not being useful.
Well no, front crumple zones are not in the least useful when the collision is not frontal.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 21:07   #22873
BHPian
 
haria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 360
Thanked: 685 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well no, front crumple zones are not in the least useful when the collision is not frontal.

Curious how the car suffered this much damage without a frontal collision. The windshield is almost kaput. There seems to be no damage in the rear also, though the glass again appears to be broken. Mostly a hit on the middle/rear panel of the RHS ?
haria is offline  
Old 25th February 2017, 21:21   #22874
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 10,197
Thanked: 20,439 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

At first sight, I thought something had hit it from above!
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 25th February 2017, 21:26   #22875
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Almaden
Posts: 2,888
Thanked: 6,495 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well no, front crumple zones are not in the least useful when the collision is not frontal.

Sorry. I didn't word my sentence correctly. Yes, it's obvious that it's not a front-end collision.

Anybody has any information? As Haria pointed out, the rear windshield is broken too.
landcruiser123 is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks