Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2017, 16:36   #22906
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

More images of Private VOLVO bus accident near Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh.
11 People perished in this accident (Including driver) and many injured. Bus was on it's way from Bhubaneswar to Hyderabad and this incident took place at around 5 AM today, as driver dozed off at the wheel. Very sad. RIP.

Source: Andhra Jyothi.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-one.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-two.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-three.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-four.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-five.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-six.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-seven.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-eight.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nine.jpg  

Hickstead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 16:38   #22907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
+1 to this point. If you see the first photograph which is taken around 10 m away from the car, the drain is clearly visible. If the car was under speed limit + driver was awake, he could have just controlled the car and stopped before he hits the drain

Am not saying "Not keeping the Men at Work board is right". But, definitely, driver could have been more alert while driving in small roads

Or probably, he might have underestimated the width of the drain
It's always easier to say this in hindsight - but that doesn't mean that the board shouldn't exist.

One wouldn't expect a car bashing culvert to just pop out of no where. When you see the drain channels on the side, you think it'll be a small bump and slow down, especially with the lights casting a shadow.

The road in the distance is smooth and empty - I am sure the vehicle was doing more than 30kmph speed limit that would be the norm on such a road, but even at 50kmph it would pop up before you have time to respond adequately.
Old 28th February 2017, 18:24   #22908
BHPian

Guys, a small doubt just popped in my mind just now. I assumed two things,

Assumption-1: Had the bus been facilitated with SEATBELTS.

Assumption-2: Had all the passengers on-board fastened the seat belts.

Dont you guys think out of 11 people atleast 7 of them would have survived this crash with minor injuries? However survival chances of driver are highly unlikely.
rohiT Nonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 19:21   #22909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post
Guys, a small doubt just popped in my mind just now. I assumed two things,

Assumption-1: Had the bus been facilitated with SEATBELTS.

Assumption-2: Had all the passengers on-board fastened the seat belts.

Dont you guys think out of 11 people atleast 7 of them would have survived this crash with minor injuries? However survival chances of driver are highly unlikely.
By default Volvos have seat belts but the operators generally either don't maintain them or remove them to prevent uncomfortable (as per their thought process) jutting into backside of passengers. Come on grant us Indians that much that in spite of it being there how many would have belted. Seat belts may have reduced the fatalities but those who survived can thank their stars that the accident occurred at a location which increased their survivability as the bus would have definitely suffered more damage if it had hit head on to a truck/wall/tree.
If you see the pics the bus has jumped the median & protection wall and fit neatly into the space between the culverts with no major crash damage to the sides or rear. The front of the bus has suffered more damage and the position of seats also suggest that there was no major sudden deceleration leading to fewer casualties. If the bus had hit at high speeds definitely the front of bus would have telescoped into the rear as well as the seats would have been pulled off the anchor points.
The recovery guys are doing more damage to this bus by lifting it by wired ropes rather than belts.
Old 28th February 2017, 22:03   #22910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayankara View Post
Mishap for not the mistake of driver

Attachment 1613757
Attachment 1613758
Attachment 1613759
Attachment 1613760

God on earth knows why there was no sign board that the Work is in progress
There will be kids playing here and lots of two wheelers plying by this road yet no safety taken care. This happened in Begur link road
Witnessed exactly the same thing in my lane in Bandra, Mumbai with a Ritz Dug up lane, no street lights and the Uber driver was trying to take a u turn. I suppose it's too much effort for Reliance Energy, which dug up the road to put barricades.

Hell, it's been 4 days and the road has not even been filled. But calling them out would be wrong.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 13:30   #22911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RANGALITING (DERGAON), Feb 28 - Three persons including a minor girl died on the spot while the gas leaked from a tanker caught fire in the nearby houses at Rangamatty Rangaliting Grant TE, eight kilometres off Dergaon town in Golaghat district under Dergaon PS last night.
According to information, the tanker (GJ-12-AU-6782) carrying propylene from Guwahati to Digboi turned turtle on NH-37 at around 10:35 last night. As a result, one of the three valves of the tanker got opened and gas came out and spread to nearby areas. Within a minute, the gas caught fire at a house across the road, about 150 metres away from the tanker and immediately turned the house into ashes. In the fire, Bimal Bhuyan (60), Lalita Bhuyan (40) and Juntora Bhuyan (8) turned into skeletons on their beds without any chance to come out from the house.
http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/...r0117/state058
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dg.jpg  

Old 1st March 2017, 17:49   #22912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post

Seeing the images, it looks possible - only the 1st and 2nd rows and probably 3rd row has been badly mashed. So at least 5 of the people who died could have escaped with maybe injuries.
Old 1st March 2017, 18:18   #22913
Distinguished - BHPian

Terrible bad luck for that Volvo and its passengers:
A. The culvert was narrow
B. The comparatively huge Volvo smashed through the retaining wall head on
C. Fell straight down into the dry smooth culvert-bed
D. And then smashed at high speed straight into the other side.

Even if one of these factors had been different, there would have note been so many fatalities. RIP.
Old 2nd March 2017, 13:14   #22914
BHPian

There is no way Seat Belts can save people in these conditions. Atleast the few rows in the front which will absorb the entire brunt of the collision. Given the location where the bus has fallen it is absolute head on with the wall and force would have traveled all the way till the last seat. Given that average Indian population is 5'5 or 5'7, many would have had severe leg injury since operators in India do not use the seating arrangement of Volvo and try to do after market seat positioning, lessening the leg space.

Since there are no airbags, chest cavity will surely hit the seat before causing multiple torso fracture.

Those who survived are lucky.
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:28   #22915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I am quite baffled by this post. No car is completely safe from tyre bursts..!
The steering straightens when it senses tyre burst or wobbling at high speeds. So, the impact is minimised.

I guess, you misread the above line and got confused. Yes you're right, No Car is completely safe from tyre burst. But the Luxury Cars minimise it. How?

In tyre burst, Cars are air borne, yes you read it right. At speeds around 200 kmph, it happens. If there's a front tyre burst, then only God can help us.

It's not an assumption, but facts. The incidents have happened during my tenure in Middle east before the Millennium (Year 2000). Very few Radar's, Camera's in those days and Electronic gadgetry was minimum compared to now. Most important, there were no Tubeless tyres for average or low priced Cars. With the temperatures soaring above 50 degrees and even with 50% worn out tyres, tyre bursts are common in this part of the world.

I've lost one of my relative and a visit to the Police Station baffled me. They'd posted some of the Accident photos and most of them tyre burst and they were flung into the air and landed where ever you can imagine. So, Luxury Cars by keeping the front tyres straight may hit the median or another Vehicle, but not air borne just like other Vehicles. Chances of fatalities will be less. The locals used to travel at 250 kmph or even more on the highways, even though 120 kmph was the maximum speed.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 18:13   #22916
BHPian

Got this as a whatsapp forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1488544980260.jpg  

Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 19:25   #22917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
What movie is that from??
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 07:36   #22918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
Is that even possible ? Only the fork is inside the auto, with the engine and the rear wheel out. I am sure the flimsy body cannot hold the bike in this manner, unless I am not seeing something.
Old 5th March 2017, 09:44   #22919
BHPian

http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...r-1577367.html

Bus crash near Ayoor, Kerala which killed 3 young techies. My wife's home is close to where this happened. Apparently, a two wheeler driver lost his helmet (most probably slung over arm) and stopped abruptly. The private bus driver who was behind said two wheeler lost control and rammed onto the side of oncoming KSRTC super fast bus.

Locally, the private bus and it's driver has a reputation for rash driving. A malayalam daily reports today that, the MVD is intending to cancel the private bus's permit and it's driver's licence.
Old 5th March 2017, 13:10   #22920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Is that even possible ? Only the fork is inside the auto, with the engine and the rear wheel out. I am sure the flimsy body cannot hold the bike in this manner, unless I am not seeing something.
It is a Whatsapp forward. Totally undocumented and unsubstantiated. Anything is "possible."

In my personal (and perhaps not so humble ) opinion, all that stuff from the pit of whatsapp serves no useful purpose.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks