Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2017, 11:08   #23101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I live less than 3 km from the crash location. The speed breakers exist and are well known in that stretch. No new ones have been added that I can remember. However the paint is rather faded on the existing ones so unless your headlights pick up the hump in the road ..

But 3 .. 4 AM is when you're actually least alert so it might be easy to miss one.

One alternative that strikes me is that he might have been teaching his wife to handle the BMW and it was a learner's error, press the accelerator instead of the brake when slowing down to meet the speedbreaker.

On a small and underpowered hatchback like an Alto or Santro that learners use, this would probably give them a jolt. Floor a bmw's accelerator before a speedbreaker and you'd crash for sure.
Saar, with all due respect can you be a little sensitive and be respectful to the deceased. There are experts who will do their job to investigate what went wrong.

Can we please give a rest to this insensitive 'what could have happened' scenarios by the arm chair experts?

That's the least we could do even if you don't want to respect the people who have lost their life.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 11:42   #23102
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Point taken and sorry if I came across as being insensitive here. Here is a reconstruction of the crash from the Hindu. It says that there is no record of mods having been performed but the car had at least two previous owners who may have modded it to some extent.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...?homepage=true

One other thing - that car was heavily stickered right down to a dark blue tint on the windshield so it is quite possible that visibility, always a pain with slim windshields on a car meant to be taken on autobahns, was even more restricted leading to the speedbreaker just not being seen at all.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 12:08   #23103
Distinguished - BHPian

What happened here?!

RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 12:21   #23104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
What happened here?!
Both seem to be at fault.

The bus driver didn't even attempt at braking, and it is also unlikely he didn't see the person. There was no blind zone for the driver.

Although there is a footpath where most people are walking, the person is walking through the middle of the bus bay while fiddling with his phone. He didn't see the bus coming due to his phone.

I hope he survived.
TD_GHY is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 13:06   #23105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
With due respect, of what value is it to pen your alternative theory here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
None at all. ...
Except that a certain amount of speculation and amateur forensics is an established part of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
4. Was the man DWI or DUI?
I don't follow sports, so I know nothing about this man. I noted, in a news report today, that it is said that he enjoyed good food and a good meal out, but was not a party guy and did not drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Saar, with all due respect can you be a little sensitive and be respectful to the deceased. There are experts who will do their job to investigate what went wrong.

Can we please give a rest to this insensitive 'what could have happened' scenarios by the arm chair experts?

That's the least we could do even if you don't want to respect the people who have lost their life.
Please see my comment above. Sure, this is a tragic accident and a horrible way for two people to die, but it is no more tragic than any of the other fatal-accident speculations that have happened in this thread.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 13:13   #23106
Senior - BHPian

You see video of a burning car and then anyone can start to speculate with their midnight fantasies? Totally justified as we have been doing this over and over again?

This is accidents in India thread and not TBHP's Baker Street. Anyway, have fun lads!

My respect to the lost souls and the grieving family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Please see my comment above. Sure, this is a tragic accident and a horrible way for two people to die, but it is no more tragic than any of the other fatal-accident speculations that have happened in this thread.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 15:40   #23107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Except that a certain amount of speculation and amateur forensics is an established part of this thread.
I don't follow sports, so I know nothing about this man. I noted, in a news report today, that it is said that he enjoyed good food and a good meal out, but was not a party guy and did not drink
Amateur forensics? One, I don't know if that's a real term at all. Second, if the below is what constitutes it, then I'll humbly let it continue and just keep away from the thread.

1. Suggesting why they didn't try to break open the sun roof without even knowing what car it is.

2. Suggesting that Ashwin was teaching his wife to drive.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 16:44   #23108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
What happened here?!
Many people in India take it for granted, that the Pedestrians will fend themselves. They assume that Pedestrians get away out of fear. Bigger the Vehicle, more they can scare away.

This happens among vehicles also. Might has got the right. That's how they become offensive.

Pedestrian might've been engaged in a conversation and didn't notice the Bus. And the Bus Driver, as usual, assumed that the Pedestrian will eventually jump to safety.
jaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 19:52   #23109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Amateur forensics? One, I don't know if that's a real term at all. Second, if the below is what constitutes it, then I'll humbly let it continue and just keep away from the thread.
Why doesn't the nonsense about other accidents put you off then? Some of the ponitificating goes on for pages, Barely a handful of posts: why so sensitive about this accident?

I think we can say that nothing can be done in a fireball. We can also say that most people do not understand how hard it is to break car glass.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 21:52   #23110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
You see video of a burning car and then anyone can start to speculate with their midnight fantasies? Totally justified as we have been doing this over and over again? ...
Yes. Totally justified. It's what goes on here. It gets out of control sometimes and the mods move things on. That's forum life. If you want to change that, talk to the mods. Even I've made some suggestions about this thread over the years.

I don't understand. Do you think people are not as sorry to see the loss of these lives as they are to see other deaths? Of course we are.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th March 2017 at 21:53.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 06:06   #23111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why doesn't the nonsense about other accidents put you off then? Some of the ponitificating goes on for pages, Barely a handful of posts: why so sensitive about this accident?
Thanks for accepting that its nonsense. I don't have the time and inclination to point out every nonsense post. With regard to why I chose this one, I have already explained that in 2 earlier posts.

Many years before when I joined T-BHP, it was an automobile forum filled with enthusiasts. The emphasis wasn't much on writing skills. Over a period, greater importance is given to writing skills than being a car-nut and see where we are now. I ask for sensitivity in commenting about the death of a young motorsports champ and I have to justify on why I am being sensitive.

P.S: I understand from news reports that its a BMW Z4. To my limited knowledge, the car has no sun roof to be broken. One eye-witness account mentioned that there was a female passenger in the car. So the "teaching his wife to drive" theory is also not true.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 07:59   #23112
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod

Folks, lets move on

1: We have lost a talented racer, two parents have lost their children, many have lost a couple of good friends

2: Beyond the reported high speed, no one knows the full story, let us await an official report or similar

Let us stop speculating for now. PLease post facts as and when we get them
ajmat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 08:13   #23113
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened @ Krishnagiri toll. The right front tyre of this M800 climbed on the divider, probably the driver was searching for change and got distracted, a silly mistake. To get the car back on track, they put a huge stone and asked him to reverse. Surprisingly, there was no damages to the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg  

arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 09:36   #23114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Racer Ashwin and wife charred to death after speeding BMW crashes near Marina!!
There are many posts on this subject in this thread commenting and guessing on what could have gone wrong and mostly concluding the man's mistake rather than machine's.
Also, there are discussions mentioning that these are keyboard warriors Speculations without knowing what has exactly happened and need to be avoided.

While I respect the fact that India lost a budding racer, my question is "If this accident was not Racer's accident, but some common man's accident, Would we see the same kind of comments above? I think, all of us would have commented and analyzed the situation with our own assumptions (This has been seen in earlier posts in the same thread !)

Just because, a racer has made this accident, why are we belittling ourselves as keyboard warriors and not allowing ourselves to comment on what could have happened?

Just because, he is a racer, are we thinking he WILL NEVER make mistakes? if it was not HIS mistake, then why the accident happened?

Last edited by gkveda : 20th March 2017 at 09:37.
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 14:12   #23115
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday on NH4 between Chitradurga and Hiriyur, I escaped being rear ended by a hatchback (thought it was a Alto). I was driving on the left most lane and there was good traffic on other two lanes on right side. I saw a car almost stopped about 50 metres ahead and I slowed down to stop. There was no place for either the car in front or me to change lanes to the right. After I came to a halt and was about to press the hazard light, I heard a screeching sound and a car skid on my left.

There was a lorry parked on the left lane and a barrier placed before which made the car in front of me stop. Now this guy behind me didnt clearly see me stopped or something, he was not able to stop. Or he might have tried to overtake from the left over the shoulder ! Being night time, judging the distance might not have been proper for him. He was lucky because the on that stretch due to 3 laning, the shoulders are narrow and is very easy to dive down from the road. He could have even hit the lorry.

There are also people who follow a vehicle closely and then switch lanes (or drag to left) to pass them. There can be lot of situations where there could be a lorry parked or people standing on the left lane. Our highways are really dangerous because of these things.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed