Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 22:37   #23341
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
It occurred on 19th April 2017, at Kotkapura town of Punjab, three 10+2 students riding a motorbike, the driver of the parked car, opened the door, hitting the bike, and they were thrown under the rear wheel of a truck coming from the opposite side. Sadly two of them died on the spot, third is in the hospital.
RIP - I don't think there's any fault by the Biker in this scenario ( keeping aside 3 persons onboard, Legal age to drive etc.,)

And, opening of the Door on right side, If it is done by a passenger in the rear seat, I can understand the ignorance. But as a Car Driver, these are the basic things taught even before you start learning to drive. The first lesson before pulling out the Car out of parking or opening the Door is to check for any Vehicles or pedestrians (specific to India) coming from behind.

First of all, the Car was parked halfway on to the Road and secondly a silly mistake cost 2 lives for no fault of theirs. God give strength to the grieving families.

Last edited by jaaz : 20th April 2017 at 22:39.
Old 20th April 2017, 23:26   #23342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
It occurred on 19th April 2017...
Reviewed the video over and over and over gain.

When should we keep to our lanes? Why is it imperative to have lane markings on roads? Does anyone even consider blaming the government authority in charge of signage and road markings on this stretch of road?

Draw an imaginary dividing line on the road, and the truck is way over the wrong side of the median, as he pulled out to the right to overtake another vehicle. The biker tried to squeeze past an oncoming behemoth and an opening door, misjudged the space, and here's the result.

If anything, I'd blame the road construction authority (for criminal negligence) and the truck driver (for sheer bad driving). The car driver is probably the last to be blamed (for utter carelessness), and the biker in this case (irrespective of his triple carrying and riding helmetless) was collateral damage as a result of unsafe road conditions.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 20th April 2017 at 23:27.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 00:54   #23343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
That road has enough width to have two lanes on each side and a footpath/parking lane.... A bit more civic sense and construction is needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Not passing judgement at all (we all know how much we hate that don't we?) but allow me to play a lawyer for this post :

1) Is t.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
RIP - I don't think there's any fault by the Biker in this scenario ( keeping aside 3 persons onboard, Legal age to drive etc.,)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Draw an imaginary dividing line on the road, and the truck is way over the wrong side of the median, as he pulled out to the right to overtake another vehicle. The biker tried to squeeze past an oncoming behemoth and an opening door, misjudged the space, and here's the result.
I saw the video and apart from the horrible accident, what I came across :
0:02 sec., a biker on phone and at 0:08 sec, a cyclist on wrong side. Moral : We, or rather majority of Indians, take safety lightly. When something goes wrong, there are very little bright chances of preventing an accident.

What we all can note is that the bike riders were riding triple. And helmets ? Why to ignore these factors ? Its really unfortunate accident with fatalities. But a bit of common sense helps. And the car driver is really negligent, wonder if he has ever heard of rear view mirror.

I had a crash way back in 2013, cut-short : the biker not wearing a helmet which helped me a lot when they reached police station.

Not wearing a helmet is wrong, but equally worse is riding triple; it definitely changes the dynamics of such small bikes. Riding triple means the bike riders increased the risk of a crash.

Next, the civic construction. One can clearly see that the shops have bit of extensions. Are these legal ?
The truck is almost in middle of the lane.
Why not take action for poor road construction ?

Root cause is : Lack of sense on part of bikers (no helmets, triple riding is a perfect, I repeat perfect recipe for disaster), car driver who is alien to concept of checking rear view mirrors before opening the door and the truck which is almost in middle of the road.

Ignorance towards safety and utter lack of common sense continue to wreck havoc on our roads. And shall continue to do so till we start to consider safety as paramount.
Unfortunate truth.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 21st April 2017 at 01:00.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 04:46   #23344
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
That's just horrible! A major blunder by the car driver. When he started to open the door, the bike was already close to the car. He should've looked behind before opening the door which he clearly didn't, costing two lives
Lately, I have been promoting the practice of the Dutch reach. I was caught by surprise during my bicycle commute by a person getting out of a parallel parked car on a busy street. Fortunately the road was flat, and my speed was slow. The Dutch grab also addresses the problem of blind spots with rear view mirrors.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...lives-cycling/
T-bhpians - please swear to practice the Dutch reach. In our crowded roads, this little habit can save lives. It will also save your car door from getting nicked/dinged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If anything, I'd blame the road construction authority (for criminal negligence) and the truck driver (for sheer bad driving). The car driver is probably the last to be blamed (for utter carelessness), and the biker in this case (irrespective of his triple carrying and riding helmetless) was collateral damage as a result of unsafe road conditions.
We have to work with what we have. Had the car driver turned to check for traffic before opening the door towards the road, none of this would have happened. In our crowded roads, one can be 100% sure that someone is walking or driving past that door all the time. Even if there were lane markings, it would not be prudent for a car driver to swing his door open without checking for traffic/bicyclists/pedestrians. I have run into car doors that swing open in commercial areas many times, without any incident. But, one cannot bank on being lucky all the time.

Last edited by prasadee : 21st April 2017 at 05:12.
prasadee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 15:34   #23345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I feel it's pointless getting all emotional and taking sides here. First of all, like earlier pointed, the lady who was driving wasn't drunk, she just seemed to have lost control and I am not arguing that it isn't unfortunate but I'm not sure one ought to be locked up and treated harshly for a bit of bad luck.
The family was standing on the stones laid as divider and the lady crashed into the divider first, and eventually taking the family and kids along in the momentum. Three people lost their life, a mother and two of her children. The roads are not fast lanes, it's just that the traffic density is little lesser compared to other places.

The lady was fiddling with her mobile phone while driving at a high speed. She was still on her phone post accident when the door of her car was opened.

Driving while using mobile phone should be made a criminal offence and treated equal to DUI. Everyday i see two-wheelers and car drivers talking/texting while driving unaware where their vehicle is swearing.

Hinjewadi being the IT hub, many employees leave around 6-7 PM taking their calls from phone, while driving back home.

Last edited by ashishmathur14 : 21st April 2017 at 15:40. Reason: Editted text
ashishmathur14 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 15:50   #23346
BHPian

I don't know if this has been posted before, if so kindly delete it mods.

This accident happened in Delhi, not sure if it is Yamuna expressway or Noida expressway.

It is a video of an Eeco's rear left tyre bursting and it losing control and toppling over. According to the video it looks like it happened on April 3 2017. The Eeco on the right most lane loses control after the tyre bursts and swerves to the left most lane. It then get rear ended by an Innova and topples.

Luckily no one was fatally injured and they all walk out of the car literally. But we can learn a few things.

1.) If the victim is behind you and you pass the scene. Kindly stop your vehicle at the spot you are in and walk back if you want to help. The rider's intention of helping the victim is . But he almost caused a heart in the mouth situation for himself.

2.) Always keep first aid kits that are not expired in your vehicles.

3.) As in the video, first help the people inside to come out of the wreck and then flip the car straight. Not like the opposite that was done in the Creta crash a few pages back.

4.) Please call the Ambulance first while you're running towards the scene or after you walk up there before trying to help. It saves a few minutes between you helping them out and then calling for the Ambulance.

Warning : Video does contain a little blood shown on the car, but nothing too gory. The victims are not shown, so nothing to fret. Mods remove the video if you feel it is Gory.

Last edited by Shanksta : 21st April 2017 at 15:57.
Shanksta is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 16:12   #23347
BHPian

A loaded truck went out of control and rammed into road side shops killing 20 people in Chittoor district, Andhra Pradesh.
Some pictures are really disturbing.

PS: viewers discretion advised

http://www.andhrajyothy.com/pages/ph...GllryID=148600

RIP departed innocent souls.

Last edited by Hickstead : 21st April 2017 at 16:32. Reason: Correction
Old 21st April 2017, 16:24   #23348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
I don't know if this has been posted before, if so kindly delete it mods.

This accident happened in Delhi, not sure if it is Yamuna expressway or Noida expressway.
This is NH-8, near iffco chowk in gurugram.
CA Dhruv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 17:02   #23349
Senior - BHPian

Goa is seeing a huge increase in accidents in the last few days. Many lives lost.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-17952744_10155335155048939_6828951300928309473_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-18033091_10155335155283939_2641792305244585809_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-18010804_1482407821824843_8785061251997364321_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-18033243_1482407798491512_8089742712975678484_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-18033286_1482470461818579_4613483334481000684_n.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2017 at 17:33. Reason: Cropping one picture...
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:54   #23350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
A loaded truck went out of control and rammed into road side shops killing 20 people in Chittoor district, Andhra Pradesh.
Some pictures are really disturbing.
In the police investigation it was confirmed that the truck driver holds only a LMV license with which he was driving a truck from past 18 months .
He was under the influence of alcohol too.

Last edited by Hickstead : 22nd April 2017 at 08:10.
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:24   #23351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post

It is a video of an Eeco's rear left tyre bursting and it losing control and toppling over. According to the video it looks like it happened on April 3 2017. The Eeco on the right most lane loses control after the tyre bursts and swerves to the left most lane. It then get rear ended by an Innova and topples.
The tyre burst happened at 0:22 sec but the Eeco swerved towards the left lane @ 0:27 second mark only, you can clearly see that in the right hand side rear view mirror. Did the driver panic and applied the brake abruptly which caused the loss of control of the vehicle rather than the tyre burst.

Last edited by ecenandu : 22nd April 2017 at 08:47. Reason: Typo
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 09:40   #23352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
The tyre burst happened at 0:22 sec but the Eeco swerved towards the left lane @ 0:27 second mark only, you can clearly see that in the right hand side rear view mirror. Did the driver panic and applied the brake abruptly which caused the loss of control of the vehicle rather than the tyre burst.
Another fact of the matter, Eeco is rear wheel driven and this could have led to loss in traction as well, potentially leading to abrupt deceleration?
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 12:35   #23353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
In the police investigation it was confirmed that the truck driver holds only a LMV license with which he was driving a truck from past 18 months .
He was under the influence of alcohol too.
It is today reported that it was cleaner who was driving the lorry as the driver was inebriated. The cleaner forcibly took the driver seat as the driver was quite inebriated and that the driver was in heated argument with cleaner at the time of the accident.

Whatever the reasons or whoever at the steering wheel, many people perished.

With the accident, illegal sand mining is now at the centre of a storm.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 12:42   #23354
BHPian

This accident occurred on 24th April 2017, at Ooty around 9.30am.

Old 24th April 2017, 20:07   #23355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
This accident occurred on 24th April 2017, at Ooty around 9.30am.
Looks like an overtaking gone wrong, the most common cause of accidents on undivided roads. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks