Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2017, 15:54   #23506
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
This is a tragic freak accident.

Bike rams into Skoda, kills class 1 child

The freaky/tragic part of this accident is that the child was inside the Octavia and died when the bike's wheel broke through the windshield and struck him! Maybe the car was old for the glass to give way like this.

RIP.
Here is a picture of the same, looks like it was a heavy impact.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20170517-12.18.08-pm.png
Source
ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 16:34   #23507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
In an unfortunate incident , a Pune biker wearing full safety gear was killed when he flew off the Paud Road flyover and fell below. He was riding a new KTM and was in full safety gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Is it just me, or is there indeed a surge in the number of cases where people/vehicles fall off a flyover? This is the second one this week (the Delhi kids on Monday was the other).

Does it say anything about the (lack of) safety features on our city flyovers?
Traveling on a road during night hours at high speeds is a sure shot recipe for disaster, this is especially true when it is not the road of your regular use. The reason I say this is because you never know when you will hit a pothole or come across a bump or a divider. If you read the complete news article carefully, you will observe one risk that the biker took on that un-fateful night, refer the paragraph below .
Quote:
Alok told the police that Ashutosh hardly took the flyover at Paud Phata for going home. He always travelled by the Karve Road to reach his home near Ashish Garden in Kothrud. But after leaving their friend's home in Sangvi, Ashutosh and Alok decided to have a cup of tea near MIT College off Paud Road. To reach MIT, they took the flyover at Paud Phata, where the accident occurred.
Those who live in Pune city or are familiar with Pune roads know that when you are coming from Deccan side and reach the "Y" junction of this Paud phata flyover, people going Karvenagar take the road on the left side, which is almost straight, whereas towards Kothrud/ MIT college you have to climb the flyover. No sooner you climb it, the road it curves almost 90 degrees very sharply and as you complete the curve the descend starts. Mind you there is no "banking" on this sharp curve. Since this was not his daily use road, the biker might have misjudged the sharp curve on the flyover, skidded and hit the left side railing. The impact stopped the bike but the biker might have flung over the railing due to the momentum he was carrying and landed on the road underneath. Flyovers/ bridges are also dangerous as the two slabs have expansion joints, which makes the road surface uneven. Going at high speeds over such joints makes a vehicle airborne momentarily and it looses it steering ability. I have seen numerous accidents on such poorly designed flyovers, which have taken innocent lifes.

R.I.P the rider and may God give his family enough courage to overcome this mighty tragedy.
Old 17th May 2017, 16:41   #23508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I wont be surprised if he was a Bhpian too, given his fondness for all things automotive. Sad, and may God give his family the strength to overcome this loss.
Don't know about being a BHPian, but he used to run a Yamaha showroom next to Kothrud stand a few years ago. He shut shop eventually and then started a bike garage called Phadke Automobiles somewhere near Sutar Hospital.

https://www.facebook.com/PhadkeAutomobilesPune/

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 17th May 2017, 16:43   #23509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Does it say anything about the complete absence of sane/safe driving sense among our youth?
Flyovers can not be built with guard rails that will keep a speeding car from breaking through! No system is idiot-proof.
A bit OT but thought i'd post it anyway:

And i am amused by the newswriters when they seem to be amazed that a poor soul died when he fell 40ft even though he was wearing safety gear! Do the journalists expect safety gear to sprout wings and fly the rider to safety?

Similar would be articles where they say rider died even though he was wearing helmet.
deathwalkr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 16:56   #23510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
The footage proves beyond doubt that proper road engineering plays a vital part in saving lives. In this case the guard railing prevented the car from toppling into the gorge. Had the railing been absent, the consequences could have been fatal. But sadly in case of most of the mountainous roads in the Himalayan states of India, such safety measures are non existent, thus leading to many fatal mishaps.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 22:31   #23511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Does it say anything about the (lack of) safety features on our city flyovers?
Indeed, it says more about the people who decide to go for impromptu flying lessons.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 10:28   #23512
BHPian

Quote:
Similar would be articles where they say rider died even though he was wearing helmet.
Same thing goes with people riding in city traffic with riding jackets on. I have been asked by fellow bikers at signal to not use it since I will get dehydrated in summer. Though true, but they completely miss the point of lessening my injury if unforeseen happens.

Riding gear is not meant to save rider from fall from height's and they are never designed to do so. They only can reduce the damage on the human body for the fall from the motorcycle and from contact with road where the rider was riding.

Very insensitive comments by the reporters. But then, how will they know when they have no knowledge of its purpose.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:40   #23513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I definitely get your point, though the same guardrail would not work as well for a motorbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
The footage proves beyond doubt that proper road engineering plays a vital part in saving lives.
Definitely, and the problem is that sometimes when it's replicated in India - it's not even done right.

In a case like this, there's a thousand factors that can totally reverse the effectiveness of the guardrail. If it's built 6 inches too low, or if the vertical beams are spaced too far apart, or bolted in the wrong way, etc etc. And I think we can all imagine how often that happens here.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 10:51   #23514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yeah like today :( bangalore - turning sharp right into a t junction and suddenly see a long tailback of cars with the last one a few feet ahead of you because some fool decided to cross the road suddenly I guess.

Coming at 20 kmph and quickly but .. the pic speaks for itself
So - the headlight and bonnet were slightly out of alignment too because the bar in front of the radiator that supports the headlight got pushed in by a bit less than half an inch, that needs to be straightened.

And one headlight's plastic tags that attach it to the body / hood got snapped - I think the mechanic at my local (and chennai tbhp favorite) Speed Motors is going to try some jugaad with screws and plastic to reattach the headlight (which works perfectly) instead of buying a new headlight assembly.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:43   #23515
BHPian

Another (speeding ?) accident killing 3 people in Mumbai Ambernath-

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/v...w/58728215.cms
Old 18th May 2017, 12:11   #23516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is that man doing in the middle of the road, just after the turn?
Old 18th May 2017, 12:14   #23517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
What is that man doing in the middle of the road, just after the turn?
Not sure if he was on the road or on top of the rocks on the side of the road. Could he have distracted the rally driver?
Old 18th May 2017, 15:11   #23518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Here is a picture of the same, looks like it was a heavy impact.
Attachment 1639671
Source
Looking at the picture, i still cannot understand how the bike wheel could crack the windshield and push through with enough force to kill the child sitting inside. I can understand the occurrence if the bike rider had crashed through the windshield. I assume if a bike has enough momentum to climb the bonnet of a car, it should ideally ride over the windshield, given the angle of the windshield. Yes, the glass would probable shatter but how will the child be hit by the tire? Unless the child was standing and when the car braked (assuming the driver saw the biker at the last second), he was pushed forward towards the windshield which allowed the bike wheel to hit him as it shattered the glass. Just speculating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Another (speeding ?) accident killing 3 people in Mumbai Ambernath-

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/v...w/58728215.cms
Oh my God, it is brutal! What was the truck driver thinking. He did not even slow down. He also seemed to be speeding in the narrow lane.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th May 2017 at 15:39. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT or MULTIQUOTE features.
Old 18th May 2017, 16:21   #23519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless the child was standing and when the car braked (assuming the driver saw the biker at the last second), he was pushed forward towards the windshield which allowed the bike wheel to hit him as it shattered the glass. Just speculating.
That was what i was thinking as well. But no point in wild speculation. I keep seeing a lot of cars where the kids are standing in front with their face almost touching the windshield. Just scary :(
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 17:32   #23520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the picture, i still cannot understand how the bike wheel could crack the windshield and push through with enough force to kill the child sitting inside. I can understand the occurrence if the bike rider had crashed through the windshield. I assume if a bike has enough momentum to climb the bonnet of a car, it should ideally ride over the windshield, given the angle of the windshield. Yes, the glass would probable shatter but how will the child be hit by the tire? Unless the child was standing and when the car braked (assuming the driver saw the biker at the last second), he was pushed forward towards the windshield which allowed the bike wheel to hit him as it shattered the glass. Just speculating.

It may not be the wheel/tire, but the forks that entered the car passenger compartment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks