Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2017, 18:11   #23731
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
My worry is the opposite. I am teaching him all the good habits and he will probably learn all of them as well. He may be only one of the few who are actually following the rules eventually and hence that may cause issues later on is my worry.

I guess I am going completely off topic on this thread though.
Good Habits will never cause harm. In fact, his/her good actions might inspire someone someday and save everyone.

Let's take the example of jumping signal lights. The herd mentality is much evident there. The moment, a guy decides to stop and turn the engine off and not move, rest of them follow.

Teaching your kid defensive driving at young will make him a better road user. He / She will know what will go wrong if they commit mistake.

One more example. Don't shy to show kids "disgusting and vile" pictures of lung cancer and mouth ulcers, it leaves an indelible mark on their psyche about the harms of tobacco products. Tell me, is that good or bad for their future ?

Show them the scenario and then show them what happens in that scenario. This is a mark of best teacher. Theory makes them go dull and lose interest. Show them the actual live example and ask them for their feedback. As per their feedback you can then gauge their maturity of thought.

Discipline will never ruin anyone's future as long as it is for good.
prithm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 19:45   #23732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
You can't pan after it's recorded. You can only zoom in / out. That wasn't a zoom in either. Hence the question.
As I said earlier, clarifying further, the uploaded video is shot with some phone camera recording the original CCTV footage playing on some sort of console screen. You can see the buttons for the interface on the far right at the end of the video.

In any case, it will probably redeem the truck driver a bit as original footage normally are difficult to get given the red tape involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
The moment, a guy decides to stop and turn the engine off and not move, rest of them follow.
Off late I have noticed that people do tend to slow down on Amber and stop behind me without honking in Bangalore, even Tata Aces and Autos. They probably get the point of driving on an empty stretch once the light goes green. Simply more efficient that way.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 23:58   #23733
Senior - BHPian

This thread and the Bad Drivers thread have been providing me with a lot of good insight recently. You see, Im actually going to buy my first motorcycle or scooter after driving a car for the last 14 years ! I just cleared my riding test and my new license will be with me soon.
Honestly I have no idea how the two wheelers I have been cursing all these years can be so reckless with their lives. I practiced on an empty stretch of road for a few weeks before taking the bike out into to traffic and let me tell you its scary as hell not having that protective metal shell surrounding you ! Not to mention, at times bikers are kind of invisible on the road, I myself at times have seen a biker and thought to myself that he will control his own path and I dont need to focus on him too much. I noticed that on the bike I too wasnt given much space or room to maneuver and so the margin of error was pretty tight in traffic. Also damn pedestrians paid no heed whatsoever to me when I was on the bike, it was always up to me to move around them.

So in a way now, I am kind of on the fence - most bikers are still generally in the 'idiots' category, but I also sort of understand their situation a bit better now that the shoe is on the other foot.
I guess it will take me some more time to get adjusted to life on two wheels in traffic.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 00:44   #23734
BHPian

There was a serial crash at Attibele toll Plaza in Bangalore yesterday afternoon.

Apparently the lorry had a brake failure and it ploughed into 3 - 4 cars.

Some of the cars are badly smashed and mostly will be total loss cases.

fortunately, No causalities.

I got this pics from my friend who was at the spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-6.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7.jpg  

haria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 08:31   #23735
Distinguished - BHPian

Vento, Creta, Indica & Swift; of the 4, the Vento seems badly damaged and that too on the driver side. Though no casualties, The driver of the Vento must be seriously injured. Such a sad scene. Any idea what happened to the truck driver?
Old 8th June 2017, 09:20   #23736
Senior - BHPian

Shocking incident : A overloaded truck carrying salt sacks overturned, while trying to take a U-turn in Rajasthan... Unfortunately, it toppled on top of a swift which was on the inner lane, trying to take a U-turn too!

Sadly, no one even know a car was buried underneath the overturned lorry and the cargo, for 2 hours. The poor souls in the car were crushed to death. My heart felt sympathies to their families.
Not a good way to start a day at all

link to the news from Rushlane- https://www.rushlane.com/overloaded-...-12243970.html
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 09:23   #23737
Senior - BHPian

After reading many such reports of trucks ploughing into the vehicles at toll plazas, I am super careful while approaching the toll by looking at the rear view mirror that no heavy vehicles are tail gating me, and I switch to the adjacent lane if I see them coming behind in the same lane, or I leave a big gap between the vehicle ahead and proceed only after ensuring the truck behind has slowed down and is on his brakes.

Brake failure? I guess there must be a hump before the lanes start, and didn't he had to apply brake there? If he had realized a brake failure there, why would be go straight and ram into the vehicles near the booth. It could be just a case of lack of attention caused by fatigue.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 11:44   #23738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
My worry is the opposite. I am teaching him all the good habits and he will probably learn all of them as well. He may be only one of the few who are actually following the rules eventually and hence that may cause issues later on is my worry.

I guess I am going completely off topic on this thread though.
You have to instigate a sense of superiority about following the rules in him. While telling him about the positives of following the rules, frame it in a way that he feels proud about it. That will keep him from falling pray to the sense of ridicule the others will throw at him.

I do the same when driving with my 6 year old petrolhead son. I know its difficult with the 'super curious' kids but that's what we have to do.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 8th June 2017 at 11:46. Reason: Typo
vinayrathore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 11:53   #23739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Apparently the lorry had a brake failure and it ploughed into 3 - 4 cars.
Why do we accept so many cases of brake failure in this country? Don't most vehicles have dual-circuit brakes? If this thing did not have dual-circuit brakes then it is simply too old to be plying the roads. Why is it allowed to ply on the roads while perfectly decent 10-15 year old cars are being banned in the Delhi region? Brake failure is an absolute rarity in vehicles produced post the 90s it is either a case of having a really old unfit lorry on our roads or the driver must have handed the lorry over to the inexperienced conductor as they do several times in order to teach them how to drive. I cannot imagine that an experienced lorry driver would not have tried shifting down the gears and pulsating the hand-brake in an event of total brake failure something is amiss and our government and the police needs to pull its socks up and stop accepting this excuse so easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Shocking incident : A overloaded truck carrying salt sacks overturned, while trying to take a U-turn in Rajasthan... Unfortunately, it toppled on top of a swift which was on the inner lane, trying to take a U-turn too!

Not a good way to start a day at all
If you just head over to the previous page you will see that most of us have had a terrible start to yesterday with this news.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 8th June 2017 at 12:21.
IshaanIan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 12:19   #23740
BHPian

I recently completed a trip from Pune to Ambajogai. On the stretch from Latur to Tuljapur I saw many trucks overloaded to the hilt with quite a few of them leaning on the left side because the load on the top of the truck was leaning.

Making this situation even more dangerous was the fact that the road surface was very uneven and I was very wary of overtaking these monsters lest one should topple and fall on us. I do not understand the mentality of the drivers / owners. In an effort to make an extra dime these people are endangering the lives of other road users too. The policemen of course turned a blind eye to all this.
Old 8th June 2017, 12:36   #23741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
I do not understand the mentality of the drivers / owners. In an effort to make an extra dime these people are endangering the lives of other road users too. The policemen of course turned a blind eye to all this.
Drivers (and even owners in many cases) unfortunately don't have much choice. I got to interact with a few long back when we were moving over to Hyderabad. Its the transport agency these lorries are contracted to, that decides to load them up. Even the owners of the lorry do not realise more often then not about these cases.
Old 8th June 2017, 14:42   #23742
Distinguished - BHPian

Girl With Earphones On Gets Run Over By Goods Train In Mumbai, Miraculously Survives. News link

This is not a road accident but applicable to road users as well who use earphones while walking/riding/driving on the public roads and become unaware of the surroundings, especially those who use noise-cancelling earphones which voids the ambient sounds, this can be very dangerous.

arun_josie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:04   #23743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Girl With Earphones On Gets Run Over By Goods Train In Mumbai, Miraculously Survives.
Although I can't see earphones in the video, it seems like the girl saw the train at the last moment, panicked and ran towards it! No offense, but this almost looks like an attempted suicide!
Added_flavor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:14   #23744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
This thread and the Bad Drivers thread have been providing me with a lot of good insight recently. You see, Im actually going to buy my first motorcycle or scooter after driving a car for the last 14 years ! I just cleared my riding test and my new license will be with me soon.
Honestly I have no idea how the two wheelers I have been cursing all these years can be so reckless with their lives.

... ... ...

So in a way now, I am kind of on the fence - most bikers are still generally in the 'idiots' category, but I also sort of understand their situation a bit better now that the shoe is on the other foot.
I guess it will take me some more time to get adjusted to life on two wheels in traffic.
There are good bikers on the roads. They are the ones we just don't notice! Good driving is like good typography: it doesn't stand out; it doesn't get noticed; one never gets thanked for it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:24   #23745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
one never gets thanked for it.
Incorrect, you got one from me now!

But yes, typography or driving or anything else; good things hardly gets noticed (or takes a lot of time). It's only when you do bad things that you become (in)famous very soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks