Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2017, 15:29   #23746
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Although I can't see earphones in the video, it seems like the girl saw the train at the last moment, panicked and ran towards it! No offense, but this almost looks like an attempted suicide!
The way she froze at the last moment , it does seem like she was trying to commit suicide, but I think she was happily wandering on the track chatting on the phone or listening to music. Passengers on the platform saw that she was oblivious to the oncoming train and tried to get her attention. She saw the train approaching and tried to run towards the platform to climb up instead of running the other way. But then realises that its too late to attempt to climb and decides to cross the track instead as an afterthought. But it was too late and she froze. Luckily she did not attempt to climb on to the platform otherwise it would have been a certain death. I think she got knocked down on the track and the train's GC saved her!! Don't know whether goods trains have a higher GC than passenger trains. If that is indeed the case, she is one lucky girl!!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 8th June 2017 at 15:32.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:34   #23747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Although I can't see earphones in the video, it seems like the girl saw the train at the last moment, panicked and ran towards it! No offense, but this almost looks like an attempted suicide!
Precisely. Looking at her entry and the direction she runs doesn't look like it was an accident but more like an attempt of suicide.
Old 8th June 2017, 16:04   #23748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Don't know whether goods trains have a higher GC than passenger trains.
The GC for trains is standard as the engines are used interchangeably on passenger trains and goods trains. The only way the GC can differ is the uneven levelling of the ballast (the crushed rocks used to hold the sleepers that hold the tracks)
Old 8th June 2017, 17:25   #23749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Shocking incident ....
This is such a shocking thing to happen!! It seems the bodies got smashed and beyond recognition!!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th February 2019 at 08:00. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 8th June 2017, 23:03   #23750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
....Sadly, no one even know a car was buried underneath the overturned lorry and the cargo, for 2 hours. The poor souls in the car were crushed to death. My heart felt sympathies to their families. ....
RIP! However, still confused how it fell onto the poor car in the inner lane! Centrifugal force should ordinarily ave pushed the load into the outer lane, right? Alternatively, either the camber was badly biased towards the inner lane (unlikely) or the truck driver noticed the car at the last minute and braked much too hard. The latter could have precipitated a sudden shift in the load and essentially caused the trailer to shed it on the inside.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th February 2019 at 08:00. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 9th June 2017, 12:55   #23751
Senior - BHPian

A crash near to my house. That's a wide section of road, with well marked speed breakers. A learner driver perhaps..

Name:  ForumRunner_20170609_125324.png
Views: 6590
Size:  423.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20170609_125329.png
Views: 6610
Size:  393.6 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 14:28   #23752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
A crash near to my house. That's a wide section of road, with well marked speed breakers. A learner driver perhaps..
Wow! the driver is lucky - 1) there was no one around (the booth being closed) PLUS those plastic containers have acted like a buffer. From the side view, it doesn't look like too much of damage.

Getting out of that car must surely have been an exercise !

Last edited by haria : 9th June 2017 at 14:31.
haria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 14:58   #23753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A crash near to my house. A learner driver perhaps..

A 'Learner Driver' did you post schakravarthy ??

I can bet my bottom buck here buddy, even the likes of Hamilton would not have cleared that ditch in an Alto like that

How did the car's front wheels end up on the other side of the ditch??

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post

Getting out of that car must surely have been an exercise !
Honestly haria, I am still wondering how did the driver manage to jump across the ditch rather than get out of the car
Vik0728 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 15:04   #23754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

I can hazard a guess: Probably those plastic containers must have been stacked up in the ditch and the car went over it. The weight of the car would have displaced the containers, which is what is lying around.

Damn lucky, I would say!
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 15:17   #23755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
The GC for trains is standard as the engines are used interchangeably on passenger trains and goods trains. The only way the GC can differ is the uneven levelling of the ballast (the crushed rocks used to hold the sleepers that hold the tracks)
You are partly right the GC may be same but the engines for goods and passenger trains are different in terms of torque and speed, they are rarely used interchangeably. The engine for goods are classified as WAG or WDG and for passengers as WAP or WDP based on propulsion (AC or Diesel) however there are WDM which are used for multi purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
RIP! However, still confused how it fell onto the poor car in the inner lane! Centrifugal force should ordinarily ave pushed the load into the outer lane, right? Alternatively, either the camber was badly biased towards the inner lane (unlikely) or the truck driver noticed the car at the last minute and braked much too hard. The latter could have precipitated a sudden shift in the load and essentially caused the trailer to shed it on the inside.
I think the load will fall into the inner circle only as in a car making a tight turn at slow speeds the passengers tend to lean towards the centre of turn. The U turn would have been made at a slightly higher speed and the CG would have made the load to shift along with the trailer turning turtle. Anyways a very sad way to die for no fault of theirs.

Last edited by RajeVenu : 9th June 2017 at 15:24.
Old 9th June 2017, 16:38   #23756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
however there are WDM which are used for multi purpose.
Right, so I have seen many goods and passenger trains with the WDM engine and that is where my statement of interchangeability came in from. I however stand corrected on that part. Should have rather mentioned that body shape wise they are almost the same and so the GC also is mostly similar

Thanks for correcting!

Last edited by centaur : 9th June 2017 at 16:47.
Old 9th June 2017, 16:42   #23757
BHPian

Quote:
The gentleman in the white shirt with his hands on his hips sort of encapsulates all our thoughts on this amazing driving maneuver
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 16:50   #23758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the side view, it doesn't look like too much of damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Quote:
I can hazard a guess: Probably those plastic containers must have been stacked up in the ditch and the car went over it. The weight of the car would have displaced the containers, which is what is lying around.
Got this pic from my friend now. Answers a few questions.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170609wa0040.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th February 2019 at 08:01. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
schakravarthy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 04:41   #23759
BHPian

We can see a Stone Slab below the Car. Probably, that slab has saved the Front wheels, diving into the ditch or storm water drain. The Milk booth vendor might've put the slab to cross the ditch and store the empty crates.

I guess, the slab has saved the engine from frontal impact, but damage to the oil sump or gear box is not ruled out.
Old 10th June 2017, 22:20   #23760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
We can see a Stone Slab below the Car. Probably, that slab has saved the Front wheels, diving into the ditch or storm water drain. The Milk booth vendor might've put the slab to cross the ditch and store the empty crates.

I guess, the slab has saved the engine from frontal impact, but damage to the oil sump or gear box is not ruled out.
I drove past that spot yesterday. Incredibly lucky driver and pedestrians, I must say!

There are trees lining the road & footpath is almost 1 feet above the road. The spot where the car crossed the footpath had an open manhole; there are vegetable vendors, a tea stall and a sugarcane juice centre on the pavement at precisely the same location. Not to mention an auto stand.

It's surprising that the car managed to miss the trees & autos - climb the steep pavement, miss the open manhole & people - cross the ditch by going over the solitary stone slab bridge - miss the long stone boundary markers of the adjoining site.

Lucky indeed!
Attached Images

Last edited by schakravarthy : 10th June 2017 at 22:31.
schakravarthy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks