Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2017, 08:39   #23866
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Dont know how parents can provide the kids with these kind of powerful machines. I used to see even during my college days , school kids riding activas, scootys and such when the LL used to clearly say that it is for <50cc and min age limit being 16 years. Its more a bad parenting than anything else here.
Came across this article too. The boy is in 8th class it seems ! What a horrible gift to be giving such a small kid. Just because they can afford, they should not have bought such a silly gift to a school going kid - This is bad parenting.

On an other note, I was thinking of my school days... Asking a cake from my parents was such a struggle for me, compared to these kids who demand a Duke

Last edited by aravind.anand : 23rd June 2017 at 08:40.
aravind.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:01   #23867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
90% fault is with parents.
I will add another 10% to make it 100%. It is highly illegal for a 15 years aged human to drive any motor vehicle in India

How on earth, a responsible parent can gift such gift to 15 years old? Even if they have all money on this planet, is it not their responsibility to train the child with gradual increase from cycle to moped to 100cc bike to bigger bikes?

This is utter irresponsibility OR what they call in Kannada "Hanada Mada" - Meaning Money's intoxication
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:42   #23868
BHPian

Quote:
Came across this article regarding a KTM duke accident. A 15 year old lost his life in

Attachment 1650428

Dont know how parents can provide the kids with these kind of powerful machines. I used to see even during my college days , school kids riding activas, scootys and such when the LL used to clearly say that it is for <50cc and min age limit being 16 years. Its more a bad parenting than anything else here.
I don't know about everyone here, but every KTM I have seen on the road are driven rashly. It's as if the rider has a moral responsibility to drive like they are in a circus. And 15 yr old? Gosh! It's sad to see a young life snuffed out due to bad parenting. It's very important for parents to say No, especially when it comes to such things. We Indians, just take things for granted, that's all. Pathetic attitude really - resulting in death/injury of young and old alike everyone

Personally, coming from a small town, I was given a bicycle, even which I was not allowed to take far.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:47   #23869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
On an other note, I was thinking of my school days... Asking a cake from my parents was such a struggle for me, compared to these kids who demand a Duke
True that. I did not get a cycle even after throwing enough tantrums. When I joined engineering, my father bought me a pulsar but my mom would have none of it. She took away the keys and did not allow it to touch it until the last year. Imagine a brand new pulsar sitting away at home and I had to travel in bus to college.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2017 at 10:57. Reason: enuf > enough. No SMS lingo while posting on the forums please. Thanks.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:03   #23870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know about everyone here, but every KTM I have seen on the road are driven rashly.
Its called the KTM bad mouthing that is very famous in this country. There are more splendor accidents and rashness than any other bike. But somehow KTM fell into the trap in the last few years.

Would like to just see some real statistics bike wise to accept that all KTM owners ride rashly.

A 15 year old riding rashly in Splendor will meet the same ending. The bike has got nothing to do with it. I dont know about everyone here but the bike has got nothing to do with carelessness, stupidity and rash riding.

And you should see me ride my tvs super XL in 1998. You will call me rash pig and the point is you can ride rash even in that super XL. I have seen more activa riders giving me hope to see a live accident every day than any faster bikes.
VW2010 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:31   #23871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I don't know about everyone here, but every KTM I have seen on the road are driven rashly. It's as if the rider has a moral responsibility to drive like they are in a circus. And 15 yr old? Gosh! It's sad to see a young life snuffed out due to bad parenting. It's very important for parents to say No, especially when it comes to such things. We Indians, just take things for granted, that's all. Pathetic attitude really - resulting in death/injury of young and old alike everyone

Personally, coming from a small town, I was given a bicycle, even which I was not allowed to take far.
This generalisation of KTM riders is just uncalled for here. We have so many riders in our forum, who have already covered considerable distances on their machines. Riding a bike is an art, either scribble or go slow, it all depends on the rider and not on the machine.

Last edited by nitninja : 23rd June 2017 at 11:32.
nitninja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:43   #23872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Its called the KTM bad mouthing that is very famous in this country. There are more splendor accidents and rashness than any other bike. But somehow KTM fell into the trap in the last few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
This generalisation of KTM riders is just uncalled for here. We have so many riders in our forum, who have already covered considerable distances on their machines.
Fellows, everyone knows, it's not the machine's fault - it is the rider. What I said is like this:
The propensity of a KTM driven rashly on the roads tend towards a 100%

It's correlation not causation. Just like a gun does not fire automatically but the shooter does, it's the same with the bike. And I feel, the good riders on KTMs are in vast minority, I haven't personally witnessed this creature alot, specially in Bangalore; exactly like good cabbies or good TT Drivers.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:10   #23873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me rephrase it for you and all my KTM lovers. The propensity of rash drivers driving rashly on road tend towards perfect 100% irrespective of the machine they use.

KTM just carried RX100 legacy for sure here and its as much a kick ape bike as rx100 was.
VW2010 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:22   #23874
BHPian

Quote:
Fellows, everyone knows, it's not the machine's fault - it is the rider. What I said is like this:

It's correlation not causation. Just like a gun does not fire automatically but the shooter does, it's the same with the bike. And I feel, the good riders on KTMs are in vast minority, I haven't personally witnessed this creature alot, specially in Bangalore; exactly like good cabbies or good TT Drivers.

The reason behind this may be the age group which tends to buy KTMish bikes. I have seen mostly youngsters among the KTM riders. Youngsters are naturally more inclined towards rash driving(My opinion) because they haven't seen or felt the dark side of this. Once you get a family, you start to ride safe. I have gone through this phase(Amature Stunts & all that BS) & consider myself to be very lucky for coming out of this alive(With a broken Jaw & some knocked out teeth).
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:59   #23875
BHPian

Are these allowed on the roads? I have seen a kid riding this near my house almost everyday without any care - even entering the basements of the nearby apartments.

Name:  Bikes.png
Views: 6039
Size:  172.3 KB
Old 23rd June 2017, 13:00   #23876
BHPian

Surbhit Kant Dixit- founder of Hindustan Motorcycling company , passed away in a tragic motorcycle accident at patni top Highway while conducting his 50th + ride to ladakh on 19th june 2017.
Was he a member here?
Unfortunate loss.

RIP.

Link

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd June 2017 at 18:27. Reason: Formatting.
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 13:07   #23877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
KTM just carried RX100 legacy for sure here and its as much a kick ape bike as rx100 was.
Absolutely. I second this too. KTM has struck the cupid's arrow at right spot in heart of Indian's who are young at heart and age.

The responsibility lies with the rider and not with the brand as such. RX100 and KB100 gave that release.

We are not trained properly by our parents and driving instructors. Not trying to blame, but we are witnessing it everyday. Lack of lane discipline, jay walking, rash riding, road rage, senseless or bloated ego, lack of patience and the mere lack of value for another human's life all contribute to this.

Buying high end machines has become more of a social status rather than passion. And with kids its more of neighborhood image.

When parent's openly brag that their kids drive fast and very restless, something is seriously wrong with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Are these allowed on the roads? I have seen a kid riding this near my house almost everyday without any care - even entering the basements of the nearby apartments.

Attachment 1650519
Quadbikes in India are not street legal yet. They are more of off-roading and adventure sport utilities.

Catch that brat and drag him to his parents.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th June 2017 at 12:39. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please do use the MULTIQUOTE feature in the future :)
prithm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:32   #23878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a KTM owner, I suppose I understand your sentiments. I do see a lot (certainly not all) of KTMs being driven recklessly fast through traffic. One could argue that it is the way in which these bikes are tuned and setup that inspires such a riding style to take over the rider, or that it is the age group that is attracted to these bikes.

That said, I am always more shocked by the number of activas and 100cc bikes with riders ranging anywhere between 13 year olds to even 50 year olds who swing out onto a main road from a narrow lane or talk on the phone while riding or switch lanes or take a U-Turn without looking. These guys span across all age groups and even both genders. I have even seen moms with their sons standing in the front on an activa, pull off such dangerous careless and sudden maneuvers. These folks never fail to amaze me. Having a KTM pass me recklessly and maybe nick one of my ORVMs in traffic is anyday less harrowing than having one of these nuts pull out in front of you or swing into your lane suddenly. I mean even though the riders that I am talking about never do speeds of more than 45, they still achieve to stop your heart more effectively than the KTMs.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd June 2017 at 17:36.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:08   #23879
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no point stereotyping. There are enough bad riders/drivers on every motor vehicle . Why even stop at motor vehicles, our countrymen can present some noteworthy examples jaywalking across expressways, railway lines, over fences etc! Many examples shared on this very thread. There is no respect for life (own or someone else's). Sometimes I wonder whether it's got something to do with our strong belief in the theory of rebirth

PS: I think this discussion might be better off in the bad drivers thread.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 16:17   #23880
BHPian

Quote:
Came across this article regarding a KTM duke accident. A 15 year old lost his life in an accident involving a duke which he was riding. According to eye witnesses and police, the teenager Mohammad Umar Sheikh studying in 8th standard had got this bike as a present from his parents and.......................

.........hen the LL used to clearly say that it is for <50cc and min age limit being 16 years. Its more a bad parenting than anything else here.

More source and info from India.com
If I'm not wrong, there was another fellow biker and a Swift (allegedly driven with cops inside) that were involved in this accident.

Most Viewed