Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2017, 00:22   #24031
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Two Young lives lost and one fighting for his life, thanks to over speeding and faulty brakes. The car was Cruze btw.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/59601593.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170714_165453_450x600.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170714_165521_450x600.jpg  

Old 16th July 2017, 09:19   #24032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Two Young lives lost and one fighting for his life, thanks to over speeding and faulty brakes. The car was Cruze btw.
The faulty brake story is probably being spread to avoid a charge of culpable homicide which would be slapped if this was due to for example drunk or deliberately rash driving.

In other news an industrialist's son avoided a culpable homicide charge for a 2008 accident in his BMW, and was sentenced to two years jail, 10 lakh compensation.

The judge made some interesting observations regarding the difference in quantum of sentence between knocking down and killing a human being versus a cow, quoted a Hindi film song in his judgement. He wants to petition PM Modi to increase the sentence for deaths due to rash driving.

http://m.hindustantimes.com/delhi-ne...ln5pPiM5K.html

Reading this I'm glad my former tenant was moving from chennai to bangalore just the other day when his car hit a cow on the highway, vehicle damaged enough that he's looking at a substantial repair bill on a ten year old santro, but by some miracle both he and his wife were safe.
Old 16th July 2017, 12:20   #24033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Now many of us did not speak out. But one particular gentleman gave the driver a piece of his mind. Not that it affected his driving much.
I too did this many years ago. When i realized my complaints didn't have any effect, i stopped using the services....after sending a strong worded mail saying "I can't be a part of this stupidity".
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 13:39   #24034
Senior - BHPian

Friend's Vitara Brezza met with an accident near Hyderabad. He was on left lane doing around 80 kmph and a truck was on his right. Truck swerved left to avoid a pothole, so my friend braked and also swerved to avoid collision with the truck. ABS did not work properly due to gravels on that bad patch of the road. He was able to reduce speed to around 30 kmph and collided with a tree. Air bags did not deploy. He and his wife were belted and their infant daughter was taken out of the child safety seat at that time for feeding, all escaped unhurt. He got the car inspected in Hyderabad and allowed to drive back to Bengaluru with a condition not to drive above 80 kmph. Repair bill is around Rs. 40K.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1576.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1579.jpg  

airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 14:58   #24035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Friend's Vitara Brezza met with an accident near Hyderabad. He was on left lane doing around 80 kmph and a truck was on his right. Truck swerved left to avoid a pothole, so my friend braked and also swerved to avoid collision with the truck. ABS did not work properly due to gravels on that bad patch of the road. He was able to reduce speed to around 30 kmph and collided with a tree. Air bags did not deploy. He and his wife were belted and their infant daughter was taken out of the child safety seat at that time for feeding, all escaped unhurt. He got the car inspected in Hyderabad and allowed to drive back to Bengaluru with a condition not to drive above 80 kmph. Repair bill is around Rs. 40K.
Are headlamps part of this estimate or they were intact. Just curious to know due to a recent experience with my dad's elite i20. Replacement of damaged left hand projector headlamp costed 30k which i felt is steep.
Old 17th July 2017, 15:40   #24036
BHPian

Quote:
He got the car inspected in Hyderabad and allowed to drive back to Bengaluru with a condition not to drive above 80 kmph. Repair bill is around Rs. 40K.
That car was allowed to drive for 500+KM?
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 16:10   #24037
BHPian

Quote:
He got the car inspected in Hyderabad and allowed to drive back to Bengaluru with a condition not to drive above 80 kmph. Repair bill is around Rs. 40K.

Even if someone "allowed" the car to be driven how would one have the guts to drive a car that has taken an impact?
Even one bolt that has sheared and broken could cause another avoidable incident! To think that someone permitted the car to be driven at 80kmph is just short of homicide.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 18:41   #24038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post

Even if someone "allowed" the car to be driven how would one have the guts to drive a car that has taken an impact?
Even one bolt that has sheared and broken could cause another avoidable incident! To think that someone permitted the car to be driven at 80kmph is just short of homicide.
Well, not really. Depends how deep the damage is. If your main mechanical parts like suspension and engine working parts are untouched and everything that the engine needs to work properly is intact and not broken leaking or compromised, you're good to go.

In this case, if I'm not mistaken, it's more of a cosmetic damage. Like front grill, bonnet, grill, headlamp, front apron(maybe), bumper, etc, look to be damaged. These don't influence the working of the car really. Why the airbags didn't deploy is got to be looked into. Maybe it's not tuned to deploy at the speeds at which the impact happened, or then there was a glitch in the system, or then the angle of impact didn't trigger it. I'm not sure if all the variants of this car have airbags in the first place. It's a Maruti.

Only would have made the car ususable in this case would have been a radiator leak, maybe. Which doesn't seem to have happened. So it's not a really grave situation as one would imagine. At least going by what the airbags seem to suggest....
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 18:52   #24039
BHPian

Saw this accident video on the times of India today. Although I sympathise and a life has been lost, I totally blame the mother of the child here for her negligence. How many times we've seen parents being negligent and kids come running across the roads!

The bike guy here was overspeeding (I'm assuming a within city speed limit of 30-40km) and maybe the kid's life would've been spared (although I doubt it had it been a head injury).

http://m.timesofindia.com/videos/cit...m_campaign=TOI
Old 17th July 2017, 19:58   #24040
BHPian

Nobody takes the road seriously. And oh, it's always someone else's fault. God only helps those who help themselves. To safety.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 20:32   #24041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
The bike guy here was overspeeding (I'm assuming a within city speed limit of 30-40km) and maybe the kid's life would've been spared (although I doubt it had it been a head injury).
The Bike looks like a Bullet. And if I am correct, the Crash Guard of Bullet hit the boy and he was thrown away.

I am unable to understand Why did the boy run leaving his mother.

Edit
Just now saw it again.
The boy got hit by the Handle Bar weight too.
Also something got thrown towards the Indica. Some black thing. Not sure as I am unable to see that on mobile screen.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 17th July 2017 at 20:42.
Old 17th July 2017, 21:22   #24042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
Saw this accident video on the times of India today.
The carelessness of the mother is beyond belief. Who lets a child run across a road like that? Even when the child is running she makes no effort to see if there are any vehicles coming towards the child. She is just oblivious to everything. And now, because of the sheer stupidity of the mother, the child lost his life and the motorcycle rider will end up in jail. As of now we do not know if the motorcyclist was speeding, and it doesn't seem like he even noticed the child, but this could have been avoided if the mother just held the child firmly or atleast stopped him from running.

I have a hyper-active niece, when she was little I always used to hold her hands when we were walking on the street. She used to hate it, she wanted to be free, but I never let her go. Now that she is grown up, she is really careful when she is on the street. Isn't it upto the adults to teach the child everything in life?

I have a dog, and when I take him for a walk, every single time he hears the loud noises of the motorcycles, he automatically goes to the close to the wall on the pavement that he is walking on, and stops till the motorcycle passes. He does this involuntarily every single time he hears a loud bike or car horns. This is due to proper training. Compared to that, a neighbour who takes his dog for a walk without a leash was involved in a road accident when she ran across the road and got hit by an auto.

One thing I don't understand is, why do motorists get prosecuted even if the pedestrian is 100% at fault? I don't think any train pilot has ever been arrested for hitting anyone crossing the tracks, so why shouldn't the same be applied to the road, after all, isn't jaywalking a crime as well?
esoticoreventon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 22:02   #24043
Team-BHP Support

I don't think either of them saw each other because of this bike in between the two.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg

It will also be important to know if there is a turn that the bike had just completed.

In any case, the bike while fast does not appear to be going at breakneck speed.
Feel bad for the kid and while its easy to blame the parent. I think its the horrible road design, which is to blame. That and a complete lack of education on how to use the roadways.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 22:04   #24044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
The carelessness of the mother is beyond belief. Who lets a child run across a road like that?
You should visit our City to see even Adults cross the roads as if walking in a garden. They don't even care to see if any vehicle is coming on either side. They expect the vehicles riders/drivers to slow down (even stop if needed) for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon
One thing I don't understand is, why do motorists get prosecuted even if the pedestrian is 100% at fault? I don't think any train pilot has ever been arrested for hitting anyone crossing the tracks, so why shouldn't the same be applied to the road, after all, isn't jaywalking a crime as well?
How does one prove that the pedestrian is 100% at fault?
In India, the Train Pilot is the only person who is never at fault despite driving bigger vehicle.
Also Jaywalking is not a Crime in India as long as you have good relations with ....... or you know few bad words and are always in search of an opportunity to act like a villain of a typical Hindi film. :banghead:
Old 17th July 2017, 22:13   #24045
BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Very disturbing to see a young life snuffed out!

Looks like the mother was quite careful and was holding the hands of kids. She let go the hand of her son for a few seconds (looked like she was pointing to something across the road) and the kid ran in a flash. I don't find too much fault on her side except for the fact that she let go of her son's hand for a few seconds that too when they have stopped by the road and not while crossing it. It's just pure bad luck that the kid ran unexpectedly.

The biker is definitely speeding and didn't have time to react. Considering that the distance from bottom left of frame till point of impact is 15-20m and that he covered it in about 1 second, he should be travelling at atleast 54kmh or more (simple 18/5 conversion).

This seems to be a busy location and there's a bus standing too. In such a scenario one should always be wary of passengers appearing from behind bus (or) running across to catch the bus. The biker seem to disregard this aspect and was going way beyond safe speed for such a location.

Last edited by badri : 17th July 2017 at 22:35.
badri is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed