Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2017, 22:30   #24046
BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I don't think either of them saw each other because of this bike in between the two.

Very valid observation!

Last edited by badri : 17th July 2017 at 22:50.
Old 17th July 2017, 23:05   #24047
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
... ... there's a bus standing too. In such a scenario one should always be wary of passengers appearing from behind bus (or) running across to catch the bus. The biker seem to disregard this aspect and was going way beyond safe speed for such a location.
See a bus, think! Someone might be running to or from it.

I might not have made it past 16, running out in front of the bus I just got off. The overtaking car actually took my coat off my arm! As if that wasn't shock enough, I got a very tough telling off from the bus driver.

For nearly fifty years, now, I have remembered that: as a pedestrian and as a driver.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 23:24   #24048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
It's just pure bad luck that the kid ran unexpectedly.

The biker is definitely speeding and didn't have time to react.

This seems to be a busy location and there's a bus standing too. In such a scenario one should always be wary of passengers appearing from behind bus (or) running across to catch the bus. The biker seem to disregard this aspect and was going way beyond safe speed for such a location.
+1
Unfortunately this is how people drive through busy junctions, around bus stops and crowded places zipping through and maintaining the same speed without slowing down even a bit and without anticipating "what if someone jumps into their path, are they maintaining the right speed to react and stop their vehicle"

The boy's crossing the road was spontaneous, unfortunate and unexpected, but the biker should have been wary of the parked Bus atleast and should have atleast slowed down in advance anticipating mindless people suddenly darting across the road after coming out of the bus like they usually do on our roads.
Had he been riding slower in a defensive mode in this scenario, he would have been in a better position to atleast make an attempt and react (try to stop) to the unexpected action of the boy, but sadly here, the biker is zipping like a locomotive unmindful of the situation (parked bus, crowded street, people waiting to cross).
Sad state of affairs; the road is full of such ignorant/arrogant riders/drivers mainly due to lack of road traffic training/awareness and lax attitude of our RTOs while issuing driving licenses.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 17th July 2017 at 23:31.
for_cars1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 01:24   #24049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
The carelessness of the mother is beyond belief. Who lets a child run across a road like that? Even when the child is running she makes no effort to see if there are any vehicles coming towards the child. She is just oblivious to everything. And now, because of the sheer stupidity of the mother, the child lost his life and the motorcycle rider will end up in jail. this could have been avoided if the mother just held the child firmly or atleast stopped him from running.
I disagree with you. Your harsh criticism of mother is not correct. She was holding both children. She was not jaywalking, but standing patiently at one side. Just for a few seconds she let go off one kid, and it looks like she was waving at that auto as if telling him that they want to board it. You can see that auto trying to stop before the accident and the mother looking at auto. Within these moments, the kid ran and she was not aware of it and didn't have enough time to stop him.

You may give lecture on how to train even a dog road manners. But this is one of those very unfortunate and unlucky accidents where many things happened together- mom waving at auto, kid running across road for some reason, biker at slightly higher speed, other biker blocking vision- all resulting in an unlucky event. If any of these happened 1-2 seconds before or after, all should've been fine.

Btw, I'm one of those guys who rant about Indian's lack of road manners on a day to day basis. So, i agree with you on that part. But your observation that the mom is at complete fault is wrong

Last edited by Midas : 18th July 2017 at 01:30.
Midas is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 07:02   #24050
BHPian

Yes to me it looks like that the mother was doing a responsible job. She just left the hand to fix something in her saree or something .. and the mishap started...

Very sorry to see a life go away.
Old 18th July 2017, 08:21   #24051
BHPian

I feel the mother is not at fault here. She was trying to hail the auto, and for that let go of her son's hand. The boy it seems in his enthusiasm to board the auto ran across the road. At most the mother could have told the boy to stay back when she left his hand. Sad to see this video.
Old 18th July 2017, 09:44   #24052
Distinguished - BHPian

Certainly not what the victim expected while on duty. Happened near Delhi as reported here.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-saqw759.jpg

Quote:
A BSES engineer died and four others were injured after their car rammed into a tree in southwest Delhi’s Jaffarpur Kalan area Monday afternoon. The men were allegedly trying to flee from a mob, which started chasing them during an anti-power theft raid in the area. According to a BSES spokesperson, three BSES teams — accompanied by Delhi Police personnel — raided Jhul Jhuli village in Jaffarpur Kalan after a tip off about large-scale power theft in the locality. However, the teams were attacked by a mob and had to retreat. “The men, who were in their cars, were chased by bike-borne goons. In the ensuing melee, one of the cars rammed into a tree. Assistant engineer Abhimanyu Singh succumbed to his injuries,” the spokesperson said.

The injured — Bhim Singh (27), Yogender (25), Saurakh (24) and Irfan (22) — were referred to DDU Hospital for treatment. DCP (southwest) Surinder Kumar told The Indian Express that a case has been registered under Section 304A (causing death by negligence) at Jafarpur Kalan police station: “We are looking into the sequence of events. A probe is on.” Police sources added that 26 police personnel accompanied the teams. “As per initial reports, no one was chasing them,” sources claimed. In June this year, a Delhi Police sub-inspector and three BSES employees were injured during stone-pelting by locals during an anti-power theft drive in outer Delhi’s Ranhola
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 10:18   #24053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDee View Post
Yes to me it looks like that the mother was doing a responsible job. She just left the hand to fix something in her saree or something .. and the mishap started...

Very sorry to see a life go away.
The woman hailed an auto and the kid was running to get into it. Unfortunate turn of events. Had the biker been cautious and slowed down considering the amount of activity on the road, the kid would be alive. RIP.
Old 18th July 2017, 10:31   #24054
Senior - BHPian

I don't see the mother was at fault here.

Biker should have been a bit slow in busy road. He didn't get time to react.

The unfortunate boy shouldn't have run just like that.

A motorist and pedestrian both should have been careful.
Old 18th July 2017, 10:33   #24055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Certainly not what the victim expected while on duty. Happened near Delhi as reported here.

Attachment 1658010

The car driver seems to have lost it's control at high speeds and swerved extreme left causing it to go head first banging it's B pillar straight into the tree. The impact looks so sever that the entire chasis of the car whiplashed itself around the tree bark causing the inner curve to the car's body. The sheer impact on the Wagon-R shows how hard hitting the impact of the crash might have been!
Condolences to the family of the deceased
Old 18th July 2017, 10:36   #24056
Senior - BHPian

A minor accident captured in my dashcam; both cars escaped with few scratches !

arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 10:47   #24057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
Got the following as a facebook forward.
Blaming it on the mother would be hard but again the biker was clearly not at fault here. Contrary to the herd mentality on our streets where the one driving the vehicle is always at fault in case of pedestrian accidents.
As much as I feel sorry for the woman's loss of her son it's equally painful to know the mental stress the biker would have to go through with respect to the law and with the cops.

Roads are purpose built for vehicles to smoothly run on and not for jaywalking.
Also inculcating a sense of road manners and safety is the duty of every parent.

Last edited by bblost : 18th July 2017 at 12:45. Reason: Removed video from the embedded quote. Thanks.
Skyline_GT is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 11:03   #24058
Distinguished - BHPian

A 7 year old needs 100% parental guidance while crossing the road or when he is on the road with traffic. Even a split second carelessness can end up in big trouble. Thats what happened in this incident, maybe the lady/mother dropped his hand without giving any instruction to him. Poor kid, took his own decision to run across and lost his life. RIP.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 12:35   #24059
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Given our densely 2-wheelered roads, I always prefer to brake first and then evaluate an evasive maneuver
Turns out there's an old Team-BHP thread / poll on this too:

Link (Brake or Swerve)
Old 18th July 2017, 12:36   #24060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
again the biker was clearly not at fault here.
Biker is definitely at fault, he was at much higher speed as compared to other vehicles in that intersection. We need to learn to slow down at intersections in this kind of roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
Roads are purpose built for vehicles to smoothly run on and not for jaywalking.
We can't say that for Indian roads with little or no pedestrian facilities.

Couple of points from Bengaluru City Traffic Police website:

Traffic Rules and Regulations - Traffic Do's & Don'ts

Quote:
7. CAUTION AT ROAD JUNCTION
The drive of a motor vehicle shall slow down when approaching such intersection, junction at which traffic is not being regulated, if the road entered is a main road designated as such, give way to the vehicles proceeding along that road, and in any other case give way to all traffic approaching the intersection on his right hand.
Quote:
10. RIGHT TO WAY
The pedestrians have the right of way at uncontrolled pedestrian crossings. When any road is provided with footpath or cycle tracks specially for other traffic, except with permission of a police officer in uniform, a driver shall not drive on such footpath or track.

Most Viewed