Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2017, 22:18   #24076
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Of course, pedestrians have a responsibility too. What, for instance, do I think of a group of four people walking, side-by-side, in the road, not one of them on the perfectly good pavement?

Not much. But I don't run them over
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 23:04   #24077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Of course, pedestrians have a responsibility too. What, for instance, do I think of a group of four people walking, side-by-side, in the road, not one of them on the perfectly good pavement?

Not much. But I don't run them over
Right. Neither would I. But guess what, that guy walking almost in the middle of the road is at 99% more risk of becoming roadkill under some drivers tires than he would have been if he was walking on the pavement. That's a realisation HE should have and all motorists might not have the chance to drill that into his head. He probably won't be alive to raise an objection.

I think most accidents happen when people are in a place or position on the road that they(regardless as a motorists or pedestrian) should not ideally or logically be in and catch the other road user off-guard. You never know, you may be in a blind spot for the motorists or worse.

If a motorist goes and hits a pedestrian on a pavement, he is 100% at fault. But if a motorist hits a pedestrian walking in middle of the road or who springs in front of the vehicle or some such stupidity, I for one wouldn't blame the motorist entirely.

The way I see it, a pedestrian should realise that he may drag the motorist to court(if he remains in the condition to do so) or hit back at him or get back at him in some other way, or argue about the motorists speed or other stuff, but at the end of the day, the motorists will get spare parts for his car if damaged, but pedestrians don't have genuine spare parts. As of now. Pain and maiming also only for the human.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 00:06   #24078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
The way I see it, a pedestrian should realise that he may drag the motorist to court(if he remains in the condition to do so) or hit back at him or get back at him in some other way, or argue about the motorists speed or other stuff, but at the end of the day, the motorists will get spare parts for his car if damaged, but pedestrians don't have genuine spare parts. As of now. Pain and maiming also only for the human.
In a country where many still wear helmet or seat belt just to avoid 100 rupees fine, we can not do much about behaviour of people on roads, including pedestrians. Yes, I also don't like pedestrians busy on phone while crossing the road or healthy person jaywalking instead of using nearby zebra crossing / skywalk / underpass.

By the way, do we have any statistics on what percentage of motorable Indian roads got proper markings, footpaths and other pedestrian facilities? I afraid, it will be very less. Again, we encounter other animals as well, besides human.

So, the key is defensive driving for own as well as others safety.

Last edited by airbus : 19th July 2017 at 00:10. Reason: Minor correction.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 01:14   #24079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Saw this MP registered swift all smashed before the first hairpin of masinagudi on the weekend.
Masinagudi route is a menace over weekends, especially long ones. I have personally seen some crazy driving and completely worthless risky overtaking moves. Cars to give a wide berth to are ZoomCars and older 'souped-up' ones like old Honda City etc. Too much alcohol and testosterone plus zero idea of hill driving and civility!

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th July 2017 at 01:15. Reason: Clarity
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 06:13   #24080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
The video is not available now. Wonder why?
It is available.
I am using Team-bhp app.

Edit
I am able to view it in Chrome browser on mobile and PC as well.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 19th July 2017 at 06:38.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:49   #24081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
The car driver seems to have lost it's control at high speeds and swerved extreme left causing it to go head first banging it's B pillar straight into the tree. The impact looks so sever that the entire chasis of the car whiplashed itself around the tree bark causing the inner curve to the car's body. The sheer impact on the Wagon-R shows how hard hitting the impact of the crash might have been!
Condolences to the family of the deceased
That seems to be a Santro Xing , the tail light don't seem to be that of a Wagon R
Old 19th July 2017, 11:37   #24082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Received this via WhatsApp.
Attachment 1658237
Looks like a BHPian's car, a few stickers there.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 13:04   #24083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like a BHPian's car, a few stickers there.

Dont think every car that has this sticker belongs to forum members. We can agree that forum members do take a self imposed oath to ride with sanity. Looking at the car and the stickers it appears its a wanna be Team BHPian who never cleared the primary test of joining the forum but someone made his own stickers from local shop.

We pride ourselves to ride/drive with sanity and call ourselves BHPians.
Old 19th July 2017, 13:49   #24084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Dont think every car that has this sticker belongs to forum members. We can agree that forum members do take a self imposed oath to ride with sanity. Looking at the car and the stickers it appears its a wanna be Team BHPian who never cleared the primary test of joining the forum but someone made his own stickers from local shop.

We pride ourselves to ride/drive with sanity and call ourselves BHPians.

And please don't think every Bhpian drive with sanity all the time. This forum promotes safe driving, that I can agree but its up to the members to follow it.
ecenandu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 13:58   #24085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
So, the key is defensive driving for own as well as others safety.
That is my policy, no point in telling anyone on the finer nuances of driving, i see bad driving every day and there is not much anyone can do about the driving style or the safety of pedestrians. If we take care, we live to tell it.
sparky@home is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 15:09   #24086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
That seems to be a Santro Xing , the tail light don't seem to be that of a Wagon R
No chance. It is a K-series WagonR for sure. Simply look are the tail lights or the cut outs for the headlights and compare and it will be clear to you
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 10:36   #24087
BHPian

OLA cabbie hits a biker on Palm beach Road, Navi Mumbai. Initially helps and later flees abandoning the injured at a desolate spot. Poor guy died of heavy bleeding as he lay there bleeding for 12 hours. Had the driver been a bit thoughtful and taken the guy to the hospital, he would have still lived. Probably, all the aggregators (OLA, Uber etc.) need to also train/coach their drivers on such situations but then, they mostly do not see any risk in such cases as they do not own any of the cabs. A sad state of affairs

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/59674240.cms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit View Post
But instead of helping them out, onlookers are making video of them.
Am at loss of words given the increase in such incidents. People need to be a bit more sensitive towards such things because one day, they could be in a similar situation and would be crying as well.
centaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 08:10   #24088
BHPian

I think it's time Indians learn to stop being onlookers and start saving lives. The least we can do is stop video recording. Come on, this ain't no reality show. Why not call an ambulance and report the incident to the authorities? But this situation can be partly blamed on law enforcement authorities as well where the eye witnesses are put through unnecessary grilling and scrutiny just because they came forward to be a witness in the first place. How about installing surveillance cameras in main roads?
Old 21st July 2017, 09:43   #24089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
OLA cabbie hits a biker on Palm beach Road, Navi Mumbai. Initially helps and later flees abandoning the injured at a desolate spot. Poor guy died of heavy bleeding as he lay there bleeding for 12 hours.
I had a bad feeling before reading the article and my fears did come true. The police are charging the cab driver with
"He has been booked for causing death due to rash and negligent driving."

Whereas he should be charged with

Section 300: Culpable homicide is Murder

Here the cab driver knew fully well that by leaving the injured on the side of the road, he was intentionally causing death. I do not understand why do the cops not charge criminals with the right sections? Is this related to the amount of work they will have to do to prove the case or is it just lack of awareness?

Either ways, this needs serious thought. I hope the bikers' family members get the right legal help and justice is delivered.
mac187 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 10:41   #24090
Senior - BHPian

Similar incidence to those described in the above posts. The apathy shown by the onlookers left me speechless:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/59692374.cms

Kudos to the Doc who helped him eventually, but by then it was too late

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st July 2017 at 10:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks