Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2017, 10:45   #24121
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
The NH-24 isn't wide enough for vehicles to drive above 40kmph and this happens.
Thank you n.devdath for sharing this news info here. All due respect to the lives lost, and all the condolences.

Quote:
The incident happened in the wee hours of Thursday when a dumper jumped off the divider and hit an Innova, as per ANI report. The Innova was carrying a total of nine people.
What really ticks me off are these morons who report such stuffs. Even a blindfolded monkey can clearly say that it was a XUV there. The "ANI" has not once, but twice, reported that the people in an "Innova" died

If this is the accuracy of the news that is so clear, I can only imagine what sort of garbage these folks may be reporting on some really serious stuff.
Vik0728 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 11:14   #24122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Thank you n.devdath for sharing this news info here. All due respect to the lives lost, and all the condolences.

What really ticks me off are these morons who report such stuffs. Even a blindfolded monkey can clearly say that it was a XUV there. The "ANI" has not once, but twice, reported that the people in an "Innova" died

If this is the accuracy of the news that is so clear, I can only imagine what sort of garbage these folks may be reporting on some really serious stuff.

Hey I just read the report, and it clearly mentions it was a representative image by Reuters.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501047890.179300.jpg

So apparently, they got lucky this time- maybe the information is correct!

Cheers!
Old 26th July 2017, 11:26   #24123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
A bone chilling accident. Fortuner and truck head-on collision near Jodhpur (Rajasthan).
The report says that the two injured who later succumbed were found on the road thrown outside the vehicle after impact.
Wearing seat belts, perhaps would have increased their chances of survival.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 11:45   #24124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The NH-24 isn't wide enough for vehicles to drive above 40kmph and this happens. Our NCR is seriously in shambles. http://www.financialexpress.com/indi...ors_picks=true
The report mentions a dumper jumping off the divider and hitting the Innova. I wonder if it was a head-on collision. Even at the moderate speed of 40, overall impact would be of 80, if it was a head-on.

Empty dumpers and trucks are a nuisance on this stretch and drive like there is no tomorrow. A major reason why I try to hit this stretch only after 8 am. You drive slow in traffic, but at least chances of encountering these wannabe Schumis is also less.
Old 26th July 2017, 14:45   #24125
BHPian

Re: Mumbai: Woman biker from Bandra lost her life in an unfortunate accident /

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
If I'm not mistaken, she was on a cruiser bike (Enfield), and having had limited experience with a cruiser - Bajaj Avenger I can say that these bikes react very differently to normal short wheelbase bikes. Something like a Pulsar or a Honda bike are very snappy and turn-happy.. not to mention that you can easily control them by throwing your lower body weight and snap them back into straight after a wobbling experience like out of a turn or a pothole. Cruiser bikes are much more heavier, built for slow and steady cruising and when you throw your body weight to alter its stance there's a great chance that the whole bike can topple. VERY dangerous, if you buy a Bullet or Avenger, treat them like they are meant to be treated, as a cool, straight-moving cruiser with slow, predictable lane changes and turns.. the elegance is in going slow on such vehicles.
I used to ride Enfield Bullet for over 15 years. It is a heavy motorcycle but inherently stable - in a straight line. My ride used to weigh around 180 kg and as a result you literally and figuratively can ride rough shod over most objects. You can ride over most impediments with ease in a classic Bullet. You use your shoulder to control the handlebar and point it to the direction of travel.

If Hogale had years of experience and she had covered the Ladakh region, she would have had adequate riding skills. It must be a 'killer' pothole to trip such an experienced rider.
Old 26th July 2017, 15:26   #24126
Senior - BHPian

I've been riding one for 15 years and still do. Have hit plenty of potholes and speed breakers at varying speeds and every time I thank my stars I am on a heavy bike.
In this case it looked like the pot-hole was covered with water, from one of the pictures posted. That was a sign not to pull an overtake when you know there is a puddle of water regardless of what was beneath.
The other point being, when you are not expecting any surprises and suddenly get a jolt , the shock can make one loose control of the bike. Both the bike and the rider looses composure . Holding the handle tight can help to an extent in controlling, but it is the unexpected one needs to be careful of, however experienced.

On another note, Monsoon is the time the 2 wheel should be given a break, especially in rainy regions. It is just few months after all.

Last edited by tharian : 26th July 2017 at 15:28.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 16:38   #24127
Senior - BHPian

This accident happened last Saturday near my home in Kerala. A lady driving an Indica hit an auto parked by the side of the road and packed it inside one of those "Smile, you are in God's own country" signboards, then moved forward almost into a bike-repair shop running over few bikes and uprooting the pole propping up the rain/sun shade of the shop, then hitting couple guys standing there. One of the guys hit was my cousin, who fortunately only had a few scrapes to his elbow & shoulder. While the other guy who he was talking to had some serious damage - broken limbs. The lady said she fell asleep at the wheel - this was around 5PM on a well lit day.

The auto-driver surely wasn't smiling after seeing his ride like this. Luckily till few minutes before the hit, he was sitting in the auto.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-indicaaccident1.jpg

After running over a few bikes and parked inside the bike garage.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-indicaaccident3.jpg

Stopped finally after hitting more bikes.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-indicaaccident2.jpg

Just before the Indica was towed off.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-indicaaccident4.jpg

The news came in next day's newspaper, but no mention of the car or the driver.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 18:52   #24128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
... Holding the handle tight can help to an extent in controlling, but it is the unexpected one needs to be careful of, however experienced.

... .
No quarrel with most things you said but for this statement. When the bike loses composure, the worst thing you can do is to hold on tight. Give the bike its head and you will get control back. It is just physics!

Lots of videos on controlling speed wobbles - have a look
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 21:08   #24129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
What really ticks me off are these morons who report such stuffs. Even a blindfolded monkey can clearly say that it was a XUV there.
The image shown in the article is not from the accident described. There is no concrete details representing the head on collision in that image.

AFAIK, that image is from an accident which happened around Hyderabad or Chennai, where Doctors hit the stationary truck at high speeds early morning and lost their lives.

As you said, the media people could have posted the article without an image if they dint have one instead of adding a wrong image.
Old 27th July 2017, 10:04   #24130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
Hey I just read the report, and it clearly mentions it was a representative image by Reuters.

So apparently, they got lucky this time- maybe the information is correct!

Cheers!
What they are supposed to write under the image is "File photo of XUV crash on X Date at Y Place on Z highway." as this is reportage and not a "blog".

"Images are for representation purposed only" is a dialogue for manufacturers in their advertisements on TV, Web and Print. This a severe editorial miss. Social media and search engines will now blindly copy this image as a reference and continue on.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 15:34   #24131
BHPian

The following link give the picture of the unfortunate Innova after accident (registration no: DL10CE 0233) yesterday.

http://www.oneindia.com/videos/nh-24...ot-231103.html

I just wonder which car could have survived such an accident, irrespective of whatever safety features!! RIP the family and condolences to the relatives and friends!

I just ask the Teambhp community here: HOW THIS ACCIDENT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED by the driver living with all other conditions intact?
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 15:49   #24132
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
HOW THIS ACCIDENT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED by the driver living with all other conditions intact?
Seems tough, this is more like destiny.

While it is easy to say that the driver should have spotted the truck crossing the divider and coming towards his vehicle and should have either braked/accelerated to avoid it, all this would have happened in a split second without any reaction time being available.

The road there (I've driven on it umpteen times) is narrow and is on an embankment making any move towards the left impossible. The divider too is high enough to stop small vehicles but not trucks from crossing over.

The only thing that one can do, buy as safe a vehicle as you can even if it means a couple of lesser kilometres per litre, do not seat more people than the vehicle is designed to, and ensure that all occupants wear seat belts at all times.

R.I.P.
Old 27th July 2017, 17:55   #24133
BHPian

I just checked some authentic data available over OECD site to compare the accidents in few major countries:

https://data.oecd.org/transport/road-accidents.htm

I found that the Americans are not far behind in accidents (number of death per million inhabitants) while the UK and Swz have better numbers. Russia, amongst the countries chosen here, has worst figure.

(Selection of countries in both the pictures are not same, inconvenience regretted)

So, in my opinion, more than the vehicle safety, it is behavioural traits that matter most.

Can we start a campaign, through Teambhp, to educate and influence the society in large through innovative ideas like road side shows, templates/stickers, etc.

One good article I found: http://www.icdo.org/en/disasters/man...ccidents/road/

And the government is planning to reduce the tolls by 50% in next 3 years!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/58333548.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-oecd-data-94-2015-numbers.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-oecd-data-1994-2015-accidents-deaths-per-million-population.jpg  

Last edited by kbishwa : 27th July 2017 at 18:09. Reason: Clarification, addition
Old 28th July 2017, 08:07   #24134
Senior - BHPian

Drivers who are DUI are often difficult to handle after a crash.
This accident thankfully resulted in no deaths but a taxi driver who tried to help got beaten and a policeman who arrived got kissed.
http://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolka...w/59789168.cms

I hope justice is served to the driver as although this time there were no deaths or injuries, it's only a matter of time till the DUI is repeated and something more serious happens.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 12:29   #24135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
This accident happened last Saturday near my home in Kerala. A lady driving an Indica hit an auto parked by the side of the road and ........... The lady said she fell asleep at the wheel - this was around 5PM on a well lit day.
Apparently the lady at the wheel was DUI. That coupled with some high-connections explains why no mention of the car/driver or photo of accident appeared in the newspaper.

BTW, another accident involving DUI by women happened last week in Kollam (KL). This one's a doctor to boot.
http://www.ndtv.com/kerala-news/kera...-drunk-1729541

Most Viewed