Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2017, 13:41   #24256
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Also looking at the video either the XUV driver panicked or the ABS didn't engage as that XUV just kept skidding all the way to the death of the driver. Since it looks like it toppled in the end I assume the airbags, if were deployed, couldn't do much to save his life.
As per reports and newspaper, the driver escaped from accident site but was arrested later after identifying the owner by vehicle number.
Old 11th August 2017, 14:41   #24257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
, I would blame the scooterist entirely for this incident.
Really?!

Both were at fault. Why should the XUV race across the signal when the signal is about to turn red? Didnt he notice the yellow light appear on signal? Even if it was green in his way, he must have been slow at a busy intersection.

If he was doing 30-40 kmph, he might have been able to easily brake and avoid the disaster.

We cant expect everyone to follow traffic rules, we should atleast be careful enough to avoid disasters that may be caused by others.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 11th August 2017 at 14:42.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 14:56   #24258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I wonder why would someone drive so fast at an intersection.
This is indeed a spine-chilling accident. For the fear of such idiots who want to race before lights turn green, I slow down from distance at large intersections when lights turn amber. Also, I am careful to not race away the moment lights turn green since there is always a risk due to such careless people.

People really need to pay attention on road, it is so full of idiots.
ksameer1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 15:05   #24259
BHPian

Quote:
I would blame the scooterist entirely for this incident.
I believe both are to be blamed if the scooterist jumped his signal too. If the XUV was speeding at a signal and it was about to turn red, means it was already at yellow which indicates to slow down than speed up. Had he/she slowed down mostly this wouldnt have happened. Really wonder how much delay would have say 30 seconds or a minute have impacted his life afterwards? In an attempt to regain those 30-60 seconds, he snuffed out a life and will have to spend a lot of time behind bars unless he has really deep pockets.

On the other hand, the scooterist too paid a terrible price for jumping a signal/hurrying up when probably his signal wasn't yet green. Again, he too could have easily held on for another 5-10 seconds if the signal was yet to turn green.

On a lighter note, I recall a joke which I got on whatsapp once about how people in India drive. It said - "In India, when its green, people go slow. When its yellow, people increase their speed and when its red, they go faster if there is no cop around". Feels very apt in this situation

Quote:
Also looking at the video either the XUV driver panicked or the ABS didn't engage as that XUV just kept skidding all the way to the death of the driver. Since it looks like it toppled in the end I assume the airbags, if were deployed, couldn't do much to save his life.
I am not sure if the car slowed because of the driver hitting the brakes or the two wheeler getting stuck in front of its wheels but I strongly feel no brakes were applied. Atleast I am unable to see the tail lamps light up. I could be wrong. Also, the XUV hit a perimeter wall before toppling into the ditch. So most likely airbags would have deployed if it was a variant equipped with one

Last edited by centaur : 11th August 2017 at 15:07.
Old 11th August 2017, 21:00   #24260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
In our context.

two wheelers - inherently unstable, element of risk even at the best of times.
traffic discipline - chaotic , inherently missing
roads - inherently under construction - without adequate safeguards
roads in monsoon - inherently pot holed, water logged, messy, slippery, reduced visibility

Riding a two wheeler - driving it or riding pillion is probably the most risky thing that a common man/woman does on a daily basis. Few know the risks, many blissfully unaware.

Do take a look at the accident statistics below, two wheeler accidents probably account for the largest portion of the pie.

http://www.mapsofindia.com/my-india/...dents-in-india
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelea...x?relid=146093

It appears to be a chronic ailment, superfluous solutions like wearing a helmet or protective gear seems to be a palliative.

Probably it is time that two wheelers also came with a warning sticker? I wonder if that would help.

Every time we get on a two wheeler we are knowingly putting our life and limb at risk.
At the end of the day , hindsight is always 20/20 . Question is - do we have the foresight to do something about it?

PS: All accidents are terrible, every precious life lost is sad.
Well , I found something of interest.

Helmet Key - Two wheeler will not start unless the helmet is worn , it may not reduce the number of two wheeler accidents but will surely reduce the number of fatalities.

https://www.mepits.com/project/326/D...f-two-wheelers

Will this kind of technology find acceptance with the masses?

Does this have the potential to be mandated by law... Two wheelers and Smart helmets?
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 21:07   #24261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post

On a lighter note, I recall a joke which I got on whatsapp once about how people in India drive. It said - "In India, when its green, people go slow. When its yellow, people increase their speed and when its red, they go faster if there is no cop around". Feels very apt in this situation
Alright let's just analyze the situation.
Traffic at the west lane that would go towards south is stagnant and there is a long que as well, but traffic, which is also heavy, is moving from west to east freely indicating the light is green.
The Dzire guy is waiting at the east interaction to go north or to maybe take a U-turn.
That means the ligts were green to move from east to west and west to east.
Hero Puch and which is blindly followed by the scooter breaks the long que waiting at the west lane and goes towards south lane jumping the redlights without looking out for any sort of traffic, they ride like Gods.
Dzire could have blocked the view of the XUV, which would have been probably in 2nd lane.
After the accident the traffic waiting impatiently at the south lane, and way outside where they were supposed to be begins to move, indicating it was their green signal to move. Usually people in India would do that once the light turns yellow on the other signal. But just lets assume it was green so we can still blame the XUV.

Even if XUV was doing 40kmph it would not have been able to break without hitting the scooter, maybe no one would have died, but what if their was another vehicle following the XUV which is the case most of the time, he would have rear ended the XUV and well no one knows what could have gone wrong. If the XUV would have steered right to save the now lost soul, result could have been much worse.

Green is to go, Yellow is to slow down and Red is to stop. Trust me in India, if there are 2 seconds left at the clock and you just decided to be a good samaritan and break from 40-0kmph just in the hope to let the guy who could possibly jump the red light pass, you are seconds away from being rear ended by that vehicle following you who thinks that as the light is green its his right of way.

I just have no sympathies for people who jump signals without giving a damn about the Law and the lives of others and themselves.

Meanwhile the Hero Puch who is the reason why probably the scooter jumped the lane thinking its safe to follow him, rides out of the situation. Classic example of The Devil in the whole scenario.

Last edited by wrongturn : 11th August 2017 at 21:27.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 10:52   #24262
Senior - BHPian

When you gotta turn, you gotta turn.

Captured on my dashcam; Mysore-Bangalore highway.
schakravarthy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 11:02   #24263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Some people are not aware of the existence of "turn indicator" on their cars and do not bother to use them
jayantvs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 12:58   #24264
BHPian

Quote:
Captured on my dashcam; Mysore-Bangalore highway.
I stay here. Only one credit I can give to the car driver that he is actually taking a legit U Turn to take probably Doddabelle Road which used to be a usual break in the median and a right turn when the metro work started. Now this U Turn is an ever-changing location at the mercy of the Metro Folks. Most people actually choose to take the U Turn before and drive on the wrong side risking everyone's lives.

And the concept of giving a turn signal probably does not exist in this country. Yesterday night on my drive towards Sarjapur road via NICE I saw many who just had a random turn signal on and happily travelling at 80+ kph. Makes you wonder whether the cars like Brezza, Creta and Tigor miss out on the "Tic Tic" sound inside when the indicators are on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The person is thrown off the ground, the video sends a chill down the spine.
Looks like one of those signals where the straight through traffic is allowed but the right turns are blocked, evident from the straight thought traffic on the far side. XUV is over 60 Kph and under 80 Kph, which is above normal. The bikers are suicidal, waiting for a chance to beat the traffic at any cost. IMO, the above type of signals are pointless and just cause a lot of accidents or the folks talking a right turn just block the whole road as we see often in Bangalore.

Last edited by shubhodeepdas@g : 12th August 2017 at 13:10.
Old 12th August 2017, 16:04   #24265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
Some people are not aware of the existence of "turn indicator" on their cars and do not bother to use them
And many two-wheeler drivers are either unaware of them or ignore them.

In this instance, though, the car driver deserves a dented door from the foot of that poor lady who could have been seriously hurt. He not only never heard of indicators, but never heard of ORVMs either.

Not her fault here, but defensive driving would advise her not to be alongside that car or overtake at the junction/gap.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 19:32   #24266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
He not only never heard of indicators, but never heard of ORVMs either.
...and never heard of social graces too.
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 22:43   #24267
Senior - BHPian

Got rear ended by a moron while waiting at the red light. He was texting and driving and failed to look up in time.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by aparth : 12th August 2017 at 22:45.
aparth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 23:17   #24268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Got rear ended by a moron while waiting at the red light. He was texting and driving and failed to look up in time.
The damage to his Ritz looks substantial compared to your Creta. I believe the Creta has withstood the impact very well. Are you taking any compensation from him or at least is that paying your repair bill?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 07:29   #24269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Moron indeed, texting and driving is WORSE than drinking and driving.. here he is fully conscious and yet making a mistake. Hope you have worked up an arrangement of recovering the entire cost of repair through him or at the least the losses of no-claim+a little extra.

That being said, your car has taken it very, very well, the Ritz is crushed.. he needs a side panel, a new hood, headlights, front bumper and possibly new radiator etc.. should cost 30-40k and more if engine damage is involved.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 11:53   #24270
BHPian

If this Charlie had rear ended a truck, things would have been different, infact more serious. Most of this happens when these idiots start to believe that they are ace drivers who can get away with anything. God help us as along as these guys exist who don't want to follow basic driving safe practices.

Most Viewed