Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:27   #2416
BANNED

Second accident seen in same day 21 may 09.

Just 10 Kn from lonaval (near pune) on highway. Both vehicles were heavily damaged. Thuogh no casualty.

A skoda and a 407 goods carrier. it appeared that TATA 407 was driving on wrong side of road - which is a usual scene after 4 lane highway and continuous divider.

However, TATA 407 drivers efforts to save time and diesel by taking ShortCut costed dearly to skoda guy :-(.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02857_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02858_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02859_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02860_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02861_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02862_2.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2009, 02:02   #2417
BHPian

Any Info what happened to that Scoda Driver ??
Hope He is Safe
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:20   #2418
BHPian

Thats a real bad accident!

Any info on the driver and passengers?
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:33   #2419
BHPian

The rate of incoming accident pics sure is increasing here these days
That Skoda cannot be on the road again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
A skoda and a 407 goods carrier. it appeared that TATA 407 was driving on wrong side of road - which is a usual scene after 4 lane highway and continuous divider
I had an incident where an Ace came face to face from the wrong side, on a road with a divider.

No he was not on the outer side of the road, he was on fast lane, going opposite, and I was incoming) As I saw something approaching, I stopped the car on the same fast lane, and refused to move.

He parked his Ace face to face just few inches infront of me.
Told me that it is my fault. ***! LOLz ????
He even told me he has his blinkers and lights on, which gives him "protection" - LOLz

I told him do whatever you want, i am not moving., i will win the law and i know that.....time went by....may be 20 min....ofcourse i have better things to do......what i did next is you dont want to know.

Me and my car reached home safely. I still wonder what is the harm in taking a U turn, and burning 10 paise worth of diesel. In my world, wrong is Wrong - no exception. You do not drive on wrong side of the road, no matter what.

Last edited by aerohit : 22nd May 2009 at 02:50.
Old 22nd May 2009, 05:04   #2420
BHPian

This accident happends on 15th May 2009 near to Krishnagiri and it was heavy raining too!!! Total 7 vehicles crashed Lorry,Volvo Bus, KSRTC Bus, Santro, Innova, Trailer Lorry & Tata ACE pick up...

PIC 1 - actually 3 vehicles are there infront of volvo Bus 1 more KSRTC bus is there
PIC 2 - Santro/Innova/Trailer Lorry and Tata Ace pickup is hidden in this photograph (sorry for the poor quality)
PIC 3 - its happened near by Coimbatore - Selam highway
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0446.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0447.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0448.jpg  

Last edited by sunilchakola : 22nd May 2009 at 05:09.
Old 22nd May 2009, 06:25   #2421
BHPian

False sense of security on Indian one-way highways

Seeing that Skoda Laura hit by a one-way violator reminds me of an incident which, when analysed, hopefully can help Teambhp members be safer, more educated drivers.

A few days ago, a friend of mine, driving an Alto, almost had a head-on accident with a lorry that was driving on the wrong side of a one-way, divided national highway under construction. It happened between 20:00 and 21:00 on an inclined S-curve under dry conditions. The Alto driver was driving downhill at 55-65 Kmph in the right lane and was in the process of overtaking a truck in the left lane, came around a curve, and saw the oncoming truck, which luckily had its headlights turned on, driving in the right lane.

The Alto driver had the reflexes to take evasive action but the surprise and danger of the moment caused them to lock up the servo-assisted, non-ABS brakes. As the brakes locked up, the truck in the left lane moved enough ahead to make space in the left lane for the Alto. Due to experience, the driver had the sense to release enough brake pressure to unlock the brakes and swerve into the left lane as the oncoming truck drove past.

My friend tells me the whole thing happened so fast that it could have been a fatal accident with the Alto not having much of a chance against a huge lorry.

Take home lessons:

1) Just because third-world one-way Indian highways are beginning to look like first-world highways does not mean the number of one-way violators are the same. Indian drivers are violating one-way rules on national highways with great ignorance, confusion, and impunity. Road construction companies and highway laws do not enforce the usage of clear signs and barricades. Police are not vigilant and strict enough with violators.

Treat all one-way highways in countries like India as if they are two-way so that one is not lulled into a false sense of security that results in fatal mistakes.

2) Servo-assisted, non-ABS cars should not drive higher than 40 Kmph in town and 60 Kmph on highways because it is very easy for a good, experienced driver to be caught unawares and lock up the brakes which causes loss of steering ability. ABS cars should not drive higher than 80 Kmph. Wet roads means further reduction in speed.

3) Try to buy the safest 4-wheel vehicle possible equipped with ABS, 3-point seatbelts for all passengers, maximum airbags, and top results from IIHS or EuroNCAP. And drive that vehicle very carefully. The higher the speed, the less the reaction time, the faster the reflexes needed, the higher the risk.

If Euroncap results for the i20 are good, my friend may trade the Alto. Of course, few, if any, consumer vehicles weighing 1-3 metric Ton are a match for a 16 metric Ton lorry or bus.

Last edited by Dose : 22nd May 2009 at 06:27.
Old 22nd May 2009, 07:51   #2422
Senior - BHPian

I find it hard to believe that people will take the risk of hitting someone whilst driving on the wrong side. There must be a reason to do so. Maybe they are fully covered of the risk by local goons, contractors, politicians.
Whats amazing is that if you show them you hand in a questioning manner, they don't seem regretful at all. Instead they let you feel as if you are the one on the wrong side.
I hope I never encounter such a driver coz they run the risk of their vehicles being vandalised!
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:04   #2423
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
Any Info what happened to that Scoda Driver ??
Hope He is Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
Thats a real bad accident!

Any info on the driver and passengers?

Impact was huge. However i could not see any blood shades etc. i think there was no casualties. Also it was very close to city to address injuries and medical help.
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:14   #2424
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
Accident pics taken near Hinjewadi, pune on 21 may 09. Truck fell into river after breaking bridge side barriers.

Rescue work was on when i clicked the snaps however chances of finding survivor was zero. it is also evident from the pics.

This bridge is pretty notorious in terms of accident and i keep seeing atleast 3-4 such horrible accidents unfortunately in a year.

PS: As per todays news paper, there are 3 survivors, in ICU though.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2009, 09:17   #2425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post

2) Servo-assisted, non-ABS cars should not drive higher than 40 Kmph in town and 60 Kmph on highways because it is very easy for a good, experienced driver to be caught unawares and lock up the brakes which causes loss of steering ability. ABS cars should not drive higher than 80 Kmph. Wet roads means further reduction in speed.

3) Try to buy the safest 4-wheel vehicle possible equipped with ABS, 3-point seatbelts for all passengers, maximum airbags, and top results from IIHS or EuroNCAP. And drive that vehicle very carefully. The higher the speed, the less the reaction time, the faster the reflexes needed, the higher the risk.

If Euroncap results for the i20 are good, my friend may trade the Alto. Of course, few, if any, consumer vehicles weighing 1-3 metric Ton are a match for a 16 metric Ton lorry or bus.
2) A crucial role is played by tyres also. In India, we have tyres that are build to last quite long at the cost of grip. And the stock tyres of almost all the car under Rs. 10 lakh are massively under-tyred. Maruti's earlier cars are perfect example. In recent times, G3HC has taken the lead. A powerful car by Indian standards but still the tyres will give up before the chassis would say enough.
ABS is now an absolute necessacity. In India this must be made standard equipment by rule as they did in Europe.

3) The ratings from EuroNCAP are the most reliable IMO. For example, Chevrolet Aveo scores 5 stars ( in front crash ) in some US test, but in EuroNCAP, Aveo score just 1.5/5.
But then, in front of India HCVs, nothing stands a chance. Whether you have 2.5T SUV or 1T car. The regulations for HCV must be changed as they are so high set that when a car crashes with them, generally the area meant to protect the car cabin is not affected, but straight forward the truck/bus would hit base of A-pillar.

I dont mean to say that one must not consider NCAP rating, but then agian the quality of vehicles put on Indian roads might not be as good as similar versions being sold in developed markets.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:13   #2426
Distinguished - BHPian

KSRTC Volvo Accident

I'm not sure if somebody has already posted on this issue.

Here is the source to the information

A couple of accidents

First one, somewhere near Mangalore

D A I J I W O R L D

Second one near Belguam

Five Infoscions killed in accident

@ Mods, i'm not sure if I can post the links, kindly delete them if they are inappropriate.

Attached a few pics
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ganu_180509_uppi2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ganu_180509_uppi3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ganu_180509_uppi4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ganu_180509_uppi5.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ganu_180509_uppi6.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ganu_180509_uppi7.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ganu_180509_uppi8.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 22nd May 2009, 10:51   #2427
Senior - BHPian

Yes, both of them have been posted and discussed here. Each one of them is sad.
Old 22nd May 2009, 15:31   #2428
BHPian

From BBC
BBC News | Enlarged Image

Kashmiris head to the "Martyrs Graveyard" in Srinagar in Indian-administered Kashmir amid a strike called to remember the deaths of two key separatist figures.

Yes, I know where they are heading..........
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:32   #2429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
The Alto driver was driving downhill at 55-65 Kmph in the right lane and was in the process of overtaking a truck in the left lane, came around a curve, and saw the oncoming truck, which luckily had its headlights turned on, driving in the right lane.
Add to it -
4) No matter how expert driver you are, you should not perform an overtaking act at a curve - perfect recipe for disaster if it is not your day..
This ought to be the number 1 lesson from the incident mentioned in post. Because if it is not your day, wouldn't really matter you are driving in third world or developed country, your car has ABS or not, what footwear is there on your car.. everything goes for a toss mate!

PS - benefit of doubt given for downhill driving at 55-65 kmph as it is not clear from the post if it was a hilly road or not.
AlokSriva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:19   #2430
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this today morning, on the Surajkund road (Faridabad)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00740.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00741.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00742.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks