Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2017, 19:30   #24301
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Got as a whatsapp forward. Courtesy to whoever shot it:-

Can this happen?
Unfortunately, yes. An accident on NH 65 took 2 lives. A vernacular daily reported that footmat got stuck and pressed the accelerator. The driver, a doctor , couldn't slowdown in time and rammed an oil tanker from behind. He and another person died on the spot. Two others are in critical condition.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th August 2017 at 11:34. Reason: Please avoid Quoting Youtube link for replies, affects readability. Thanks.
Old 15th August 2017, 20:25   #24302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
Today it has become very common to see three people riding a motorcycle.
It's funny for you to say that. As far as I have noticed and observed, Indians have always been riding triple or 4-in-one-seat in almost 95 percent of the country. And we seem to have been doing it ever since we in India started riding the two wheeled contraption! It's not exactly a "today" thing.

Maybe the law prevents it effectively in large cities/metros, but normal towns have it as an everyday way of life. It's one of those Desi things all dudes do.

I'm not defending it but that's the way it is.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 21:51   #24303
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Edit: Thinking about it, mine has a velcro strip in the back, may be it's meant to be mounted/sticked somewhere so that it doesn't move around and is reachable?

Central. Inside the center armrest bin if possible. That's where I have put mine. Both the driver and passenger should be able to reach out to it,even the people from the rear should be able to reach out there.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 23:29   #24304
Distinguished - BHPian

Film and TV actor Neha Dhupia was moving to the Chandigarh airport, after promoting her audio podcast "No Filter Neha", when her Maruti Baleno was hit from the rear by another car. She sustained some shoulder injury, but the crowds instead of helping the victim were busy clicking selfies and wanted autographs too !

Our needs and deeds have indeed changed with the times !

https://chandigarhmetro.com/neha-dhu...stead-helping/

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th August 2017 at 23:31.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 08:34   #24305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Guys, my car will always have a glass breaker and a seatbelt cutter. It's normally available as a 2 in 1. As low as a couple of hundred. Would make sense to keep one in the car.
Is there any high quality reliable seat belt cutter? Rather than get a cheap one that saves a few hundred rupees, I'd rather get a proven one that fits easily.
Old 16th August 2017, 08:34   #24306
Senior - BHPian

http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/24-ye...camera-1738012

Another biking accident.
Old 16th August 2017, 08:43   #24307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Is there any high quality reliable seat belt cutter?
I got 2 of these ResQme. I believe they were first one with good quality in a compact and handy form. Has both glass beaker and seat-belt cutter in a key-ring. Price in India is same as USA although they are USA made. Adding a link below but you can get color options and bundles of two for better price.

https://resqme.com/EN/product/resqme/

http://www.amazon.in/Resqme-01-100-0...eywords=resqme

Last edited by vidyanand : 16th August 2017 at 08:43. Reason: correction
vidyanand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 09:10   #24308
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
If it were a monocoque, the force of the accident would have been dissipated by the entire chassis and the intrusion seem would not have been half as bad.
Irrespective of whether it is monocoque or body on frame, impact absorption depends on the load path. The point of impact has a major role when it comes to the load path. In this case, I am guessing (from the picture) the accident involved a bus and a collision with a bus / truck is something none of the cars can handle well mainly because the point of impact is very high off the ground bypassing all the active crumple zones.

Quote:
Fortuner/Innova type vehicles only look tough. In reality, they have very poor crash safety.
For this I can ask only one question. Are there no body on frame vehicles on sale today that have a 5 star NCAP rating?
Old 16th August 2017, 10:01   #24309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
Irrespective of whether it is monocoque or body on frame, impact absorption depends on the load path. The point of impact has a major role when it comes to the load path. In this case, I am guessing (from the picture) the accident involved a bus and a collision with a bus / truck is something none of the cars can handle well mainly because the point of impact is very high off the ground bypassing all the active crumple zones.
The way monocoques are designed, the loading of the impact is spread across the entire chassis. This is not possible in a body on frame. A monocoque of similar dimensions would definitely not shear off and turn into the mess this thing has. The rear of the car is supposed to be the most rigid part of the vehicle. It should not crumple like that on impact.

Quote:
For this I can ask only one question. Are there no body on frame vehicles on sale today that have a 5 star NCAP rating?
At least in this list, I do not see any body on frame type SUVs. The Honda Ridgeline truck might be the only body on frame vehicle in that list (Not sure if it is a body on frame).

http://m.iihs.org/mobile/ratings/mobileratings/tsps

I also found this cited paper on the same subject with the same conclusion:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24821629

CONCLUSIONS:
In two-vehicle collisions involving compact SUVs, unibody structure was associated with lower risk of death both in occupants of other vehicles in the crash, and in SUVs' own occupants.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 16th August 2017 at 10:03.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 10:23   #24310
BHPian

Floor Mat can cause accident and I can see a clear warning given about the same in my owners manual also.

Ford Aspire Owners manual page No. 101 as follows,

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-159411.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 16th August 2017 at 11:38. Reason: image was not appearing.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 10:53   #24311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Is there any high quality reliable seat belt cutter? Rather than get a cheap one that saves a few hundred rupees, I'd rather get a proven one that fits easily.

At the end of day it's just a blade. Technically you can't go wrong as long as the blade is sharp.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 11:42   #24312
Senior - BHPian

Saw this in the news today.
http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/24-ye...-lateststories

24 Year old racing his Benelli in Delhi Traffic, crashes into pedestrian and dies.
Old 16th August 2017, 11:57   #24313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Can this happen?
Yes, absolutely can.

However, the brakes will ALWAYS be able to overpower the engine.
(A very interesting podcast on this)

Also, some newer cars come with Brake-Throttle Override (link to thread).

That said, even a second or so of "unintended behaviour" or "loss of control" of the vehicle is enough to cause an accident.

Quote:
I feel whatever could be the context for this particular scene in the movie, portraying, three adults on a motorcycle, that too with a female actor, is sending wrong message to the public.
I propose that for Bollywood flicks proliferating unsafe driving practices, the penalty should be:

(Usual traffic fine) x (number of tickets sold) = Fine to be paid by the film producer

Sounds like a joke, but I'm kind of serious. Our country is so heavily influenced by films that it is the ideal place to infuse good road behaviour & safety.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th August 2017 at 11:58.
Rehaan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 12:21   #24314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I propose that for Bollywood flicks proliferating unsafe driving practices, the penalty should be:

(Usual traffic fine) x (number of tickets sold) = Fine to be paid by the film producer

Sounds like a joke, but I'm kind of serious. Our country is so heavily influenced by films that it is the ideal place to infuse good road behaviour & safety.
The problem is, we never emulate good behaviour. I bet, it will go unnoticed! If you do show belted up actors, helmet wearing protagonists, no one will blink an eyelid or notice it. Put a guy on a bike without helmet, racing through the streets, and everyone wants to be like him.

I wonder why our hyperactive censor board is not blocking such scenes. Would do at least some good.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 12:26   #24315
BHPian

Quote:
This is the image from a recent box office flick " toilet"
portraying, three adults on a motorcycle, that too with a female actor, is sending wrong message to the public.
OT: And what about the movies which portrays violence, murder, alcohol or rape?

There are a lot of "objectional" things in a movie. Maybe that's why it's called a movie. A fictitious one.

I haven't seen that movie but I suppose the storyline revolves around a rural area and that's how most of our rural folks (or even urban sometimes) travels. The movie is just attempting to be a step closer to reality.

If Akshay Kumar or any actor had specifically promoted wearing helmet or highlighted the importance of any safety feature then we could have said that the movie is sending good message to the public.

But IMO we can't say that it's sending wrong message looking at the screen grab shared by you.

In such cases, common sense should prevail.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 16th August 2017 at 12:32. Reason: Typo
Sherlocked is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks