Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:38   #2431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
you should not perform an overtaking act at a curve -
AlokSriva, unless I'm mistaken, you are talking about two-way roads. But on a one-way road with multiple lanes, it is, in theory and in first-world countries, supposed to be ok to overtake on a non-blind or blind curve. And since we drive on the left hand side here in India, faster traffic should overtake using the right lane while slower traffic stays in the left. The incident happened on a one-way, two-lane road.
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:46   #2432
Senior - BHPian

What's with KCRTC Volvo buses?

It is really shocking to see two Volvo accidents in a matter of a week. Does anybody has more info or pics on the bus hired by the Infosys employees?
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:11   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Spotted this today morning, on the Surajkund road (Faridabad)
And what exactly has happened here ?
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:46   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
A truck got totalled. thts what happend brother.

cheers,
ac
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:50   #2435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
A truck got totalled. thts what happend brother.

cheers,
ac
Cute! And how did that happen?
Old 22nd May 2009, 22:31   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cute! And how did that happen?
Looks like it happened at night as the road seems to be clear enough to not able to avoid such an accident.

Also i think the driver escapaed unhurt ( like in most of the truck accident cases )
Old 22nd May 2009, 23:59   #2437
BHPian

Saw this on Hosur Rd, almost at the KA - TN border at 0915 on 20th May.
Stuff seemed to be leaking from the outlet. The other tanker was probably there to try and shift the LPG from the damaged tank.
The lane coming into Bangalore was blocked and traffic was piled up for a few kms.
I would have taken better pics but was trying to get the hell out of there. Did anybody else see this? Any idea what happened?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tanker1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tanker2.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2009, 01:08   #2438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Looks like it happened at night as the road seems to be clear enough to not able to avoid such an accident.

Also i think the driver escapaed unhurt ( like in most of the truck accident cases )
What did the truck hit?
Old 23rd May 2009, 03:04   #2439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox22 View Post
What did the truck hit?

Good question , maybe it turned turtle and came back on its wheels because i don't see anything which it could have hit except the Signal post , but that appears to be fine
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:14   #2440
BHPian

Overtaking on curve/blind curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
it is, in theory and in first-world countries, supposed to be ok to overtake on a non-blind or blind curve. And since we drive on the left hand side here in India, faster traffic should overtake using the right lane while slower traffic stays in the left. The incident happened on a one-way, two-lane road.
@Dose -
UK - Overtaking (162-169) : Directgov - Travel and transport
Quote:

DO NOT overtake if there is any doubt, or where you cannot see far enough ahead to be sure it is safe. For example, when you are approaching
  • a corner or bend
  • a hump bridge
  • the brow of a hill
India - Government of Delhi : Government Departments : Transport : Traffic Rules & Regulations : Rules on the Road
Quote:
DO NOT OVERTAKE when you think it might endanger other traffic on the road; if the road ahead is not clearly visible, for example, near a bend or a hill...
If you cannot see for more than 150 metres ahead, because of a hill or curve or if the road is narrowing, avoid overtaking.
Philippines - Motorcycle Philippines Blog Archive Philippines Traffic & Vehicle Law Violations - Overtaking on a curve is a punishable offense.

For argument sake, even if we consider overtaking at curves to be legal, how do you know while doing this, out of your vision, there is a cop with radar gun (in case you are above the permissible speed limit - if not, cop wouldn't bother anyway) OR there is a traffic pile up outside of your vision on the other side of curve because of an accident/breakdown? Or there are cattle on the road?

From your post it was absolutely clear to me it was a multiple laned road, yet I suggested not to overtake on curves because your friend learnt it the hard way. I definitely hope he did and so do all drivers who believe in overtaking at curves..
To add, blind curves are called as blind in order to warn road users to exercise caution, yet we have right leg heavy folks who give two hoots to the caution only to repent
Even if the curve is not a blind one, one should be cautious, specially in a country like India where majority of the drivers are unable to stick to their lanes on curves. If you do not understand what I mean, just observe the traffic movement at a curve on a 6-laned road with a central median and you would know where I am coming from. I am sure each one of us would have experienced this. Imagine trying to overtake a vehicle at a curve, you being in the right-most lane, the driver of vehicle in left lane unable to maintain his lane and due to centrifugal force (assuming road curves left), happily creeps in your lane!! Where do you go now mate? Go figure

BTW, I see you are from Karnataka. If by any chance you are familiar with Bangalore, on the IRR before Embassy Golf links while coming from Koramangala, there is a curve on the road. Each time I pass from that spot, I see shattered glass sprayed on the road. And this spot is just one example.. Do I need to say more?

Last edited by AlokSriva : 23rd May 2009 at 09:17.
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:25   #2441
Senior - BHPian

saw this video on youtube...very very touching..
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:33   #2442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox22 View Post
What did the truck hit?
Quote:

Quote:
Good question , maybe it turned turtle and came back on its wheels because i don't see anything which it could have hit except the Signal post , but that appears to be fine
The site where this happened is very accident prone. There is a sharp descent leading to this intersection. And immediately after there is a sharp ascent. So what really happened IMO is that the trailer was coming down the slope full blast and some overloaded dumper/truck ahead was trying to climb at a slower speed. Trailer hits the dumper face first. Must have happened during the night, trucks do go into "overdrive" at night.

EDIT: It didn't turn turtle for sure, load on the flat-bed was fine.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 23rd May 2009 at 14:39.
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:57   #2443
Senior - BHPian

@Tushky,

That was one hell of a video that you shared!
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:19   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
@Tushky,

That was one hell of a video that you shared!
A bit OT but the video is AMAZING! Sent a chill down my spine.
Old 23rd May 2009, 16:20   #2445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
From your post it was absolutely clear to me it was a multiple laned road, yet I suggested not to overtake on curves because your friend learnt it the hard way. I definitely hope he did and so do all drivers who believe in overtaking at curves..
Very well written post, AlokSriva. I agree. These suggestions should be implemented by drivers on all roads and in all countries. Thanks!

Most Viewed