Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2017, 19:51   #24571
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
A slight tap on the brakes on a wet curve can unsettle the vehicle, a very scary situation having experienced it once on the same road but after climbing the ghats and regained control thankfully the speed was lower.
Kindly let me know which car you were driving and also the make and condition of tyres.
Old 9th September 2017, 19:55   #24572
Senior - BHPian

The tyres were Bridgestone S248 165/80/R13 with adequate tread depth, more than a decade back on a Palio.

Golden rule to be followed, if its raining and the roads are wet, speed should never exceed 60 to 65 kmph (lower the better to avoid skidding/ acquaplaning)

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th September 2017 at 19:58.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 21:44   #24573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
while 90% of plane crashes are due to faulty or poor maintenance of aircraft.
I beg to differ, pilot error still remains as the single biggest cause of plane crashes.

Why do planes crash?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pc1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pc2.jpg  

airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 22:16   #24574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I beg to differ, pilot error still remains as the single biggest cause of plane crashes.
My bad. I very well remember the contrast between plane crashes and car accidents resulting from driver/pilot error. May be the % is not 90, but the bottom line was that in a car the driver has more control and has to take more responsibility in the event of an accident as compared to a pilot. TTBOMK.
Old 10th September 2017, 05:10   #24575
BHPian

Tata Tiago built quality saves its passengers – Truck driver who rear-ended Tiago, is in hospital

https://www.rushlane.com/tata-tiago-...-12250589.html

Just found this on Rushlane.
bigben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 08:55   #24576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Tata Tiago built quality saves its passengers – Truck driver who rear-ended Tiago, is in hospital
Looks like a reckless case of the car driver overtaking from the left and cutting into the truck's lane.

The Tiago may be be built well, but its passengers should thank the truck driver for braking hard and minimizing the impact and unfortunately getting injured in the process.

In a collision between a significantly heavy truck and a small(light) car and that too to the rear of the car, the transfer of momentum from the car to the truck would be negligible(to the truck). The car would have just been flung away by the huge momentum of the truck had the truck driver not braked hard.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 10:00   #24577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Another bakwaas story, if you ask me. The truck driver was probably injured by being thrown onto the windshield as he braked hard to save the car. Nothing to do with the Tata Tiago build quality. But if the truck was a Tata make, maybe one should question why seat belts were not provided to the driver.

Again, the article that praises the Tiago build quality so much, gives no details about the injury or the causes of it to the truck driver.
honeybee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 16:46   #24578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is not clear what happened and why, because, if I am seeing it right, the car is moving sideways as comes from behind those trees?
He didn't topple because of the wet and smooth road. Had the wheels caught onto any undulations on a dry road, the story would have been different. Looked too fast for the weather conditions, though.

Quote:

It read more like an advertisement. Wonder how much they got paid.

Last edited by theMAG : 11th September 2017 at 04:22. Reason: Back-back posts < 20 mins. Please EDIT moving forward.
Old 10th September 2017, 17:50   #24579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
It read more like an advertisement. Wonder how much they got paid.
Exactly.

The news simply seems to be a paid article.

Just check how many times the words "Tiago" and "Tata" have been used in that news article.
"Tiago's driver", "Tiago lost control", "Tiago's front damaged badly", "Tiago Passengers escaped unharmed"..etc.

They have not missed a single opportunity to insert the word Tiago wherever possible.
Except the first instance, the generic term "car" would have been sufficient in all other places.
That is how professional & quality reports should look like.

And to top it all, a brief summary of Tiago, its monthly sales figures, engine options and prices in the last paragraph of an accident news report!

Wow, way to go Rushlane!
VinodDevil81 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 11:45   #24580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
They have not missed a single opportunity to insert the word Tiago wherever possible.
Except the first instance, the generic term "car" would have been sufficient in all other places.
Just normal demands of SEO and sensationalism.
Old 11th September 2017, 14:00   #24581
BHPian

Chennai, once again tops the list of cities with highest number of accidents recorded, in 2016.

http://www.cartoq.com/indias-10-most...ults-revealed/

Quote:
According to the figures, Chennai is the city that has the highest number of accidents recorded in 2016, which is really surprising. Chennai has 7,486 reported accidents. Delhi is really close, with 7,375 reported accidents.

This makes Chennai the most dangerous city in India for the past year. Also, it is surprising to see a much smaller city like Indore in fourth position at 5,143 accidents behind Bengaluru, which comes third. Hyderabad is at the bottom of the top 10 with 2,945 accidents reported.
Quote:
When it comes to fatalities, Delhi tops the list with 1591 people who died last year. Chennai is in a close second with 1183 deaths reported last year. A few surprising cities that were on the list were Kanpur at 5th position, Agra at 8th and Allahabad at 9th position.
Quote:
In terms of states, Tamil Nadu has the highest number of road accidents that were reported in 2016, at 71,431. Madhya Pradesh is in second place at 53,792 accidents that have been reported. Uttar Pradesh is 6th at 35,612, Andhra Pradesh is 7th at 24,888 followed by Rajasthan, Telangana and Gujarat.

In terms of fatalities, Uttar Pradesh tops the list with 19,320 deaths followed by Tamil Nadu. Maharashtra is in third place, followed by Karnataka and Rajasthan. Madhya Pradesh which was second in terms of number of accidents is in 6th place when it comes to fatalities, followed by Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Telangana and West Bengal.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:18   #24582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If it's a paid news, then it's an embarrassing effort.

It the reporter was a Tata fan, he might fill his garage with Tata vehicles.

By the way, what was the other vehicle hit by the Tiago? Was that too as sturdy as the Tiago that the Tiago front was more damaged than its rear.
Old 13th September 2017, 13:03   #24583
Senior - BHPian

Read this news about 4 people killed and 3 more critically injured in an accident in Mumbai. The driver lost control of the vehicle and rammed into a bus according to one of the survivors. All of them except the person driving the car were celebrating the birthday of their colleague (who has also died unfortunately) and were on their way to office. RIP!

Edit : The car was a honda city. How can 7 people (all adults) manage to get in a honda city?

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 13th September 2017 at 13:09.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 17:43   #24584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
All of them except the person driving the car were celebrating the birthday of their colleague (who has also died unfortunately) and were on their way to office. RIP!
It appals me how people in the car dont bother about the driver at all. They dont care about his comfort. I have driven several times with my relatives and I get absolutely annoyed and distracted at their loud conversations and laughs. Out of deference I cant object. I have immense respect for professional drivers who drive with unknown people with varied behaviour.

Quote:
Edit : The car was a honda city. How can 7 people (all adults) manage to get in a honda city?
Many people fail to realise how hazardous overloading is. Car's momentum shoots up significantly, brakes may not catch up to that weight.
chevyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 18:41   #24585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

This is not at all surprising for me. Man, you should see especially during the lunch times where people head out with half a dozen colleagues to go out for personal lunch outs, not team lunch where you are provided with transport.I see this almost regularly. Mostly it is a packed car at max 6 but 7 people is a bit strange.

I imagine they accommodated 2 in the front passenger seat with either or both of them sitting cross legged. Another 4 could have been accommodated in the rear seat with the middle guy extending his legs to the provide a handrest of the driver.
redcruiser is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed