Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2017, 20:14   #24826
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Spilled beer on the highway. Let the pic do the talking.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/g...1/1069423.html

aerohit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 20:31   #24827
BHPian

A speeding car rammed into pedestrians in Bhopal leaving two women critical and one kid into injuries.
Old 17th October 2017, 20:52   #24828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
A speeding car rammed into pedestrians in Bhopal leaving two women critical and one kid into injuries.
I won't be surprised if this starts a discussion on "Why ABS is important?" and "Why Alto is an unsafe car?" totally ignoring why that idiot was at that speed on a road / street like that.
Old 18th October 2017, 06:37   #24829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
In Navi Mumbai, a woman riding a scooter loses her balance and falls in the path of a crane, which runs over her head/upper body.
This video is especially chilling for me because I went through the same situation in September 2014.
I used to ride my humble 2006 pulsar to office at DLF cyber city. After the monsoon NHAI was relaying the road from just after Rajiv Chowk Flyover till at least Haldiram. So, they would leave the leftmost lane tarred and dig up the rest of the road in such a way that it was very difficult to get traction.
So I would switch to leftmost lane from here.
One day, I was doing 45-ish and tried to switch lane with a similar road level difference as you in the video. The bike lost balance but I was able to regain it within 1-2 seconds. This is point where NH-8 opens up after most city traffic ends at Rajiv Chowk. The cars zoom past this spot at 80-100.
Had I not regained balance and fallen down, I would not be alive to write this.
My wife was in her third trimester. I was shaken for weeks. I ultimately conceded to my wife's demand to buy a new bike. I bought the new bike by November. Although I didn't tell her about the reason for change of mind untill January.
In hindsight, being a conservative rider saved me because I wouldn't have been able to regain the balance at higher speeds.
It also changed my outlook. Nowdays in pune, I see a similar road leveling issue at the curve just after Sus Road Exit towards Kothrud. I stay very very careful.

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2017 at 16:41. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 10:18   #24830
Senior - BHPian

I guess asking for the concerned authorities to place warning cones or something ahead of something like that dug up piece of road would be asking for too much :(
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 11:27   #24831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
In Navi Mumbai, a woman riding a scooter loses her balance and falls in the path of a crane, which runs over her head/upper body

she lost her balance because of a difference in the level of the road and fell in the path of the crane following immediately behind her.

- no one is willing to even go near her to check if she is alive.
The difference in road levels in this instance seems a lot more than normal, it's like about 3-4 inches and the chances to cross this type of undulation at that angle is almost impossible. Which the woman attempted with reasons best known to her. She seems either oblivious of the thing or careless or distracted or then pure ignorant about the danger. That's why she probably attempted the stunt. In the rains, even an inch of level difference on a concrete road is enough for a wonderful skid.

As for people checking if she's alive, I think if a truck runs over a human head, there is nothing much left to check. No two ways about the result of it, if you know what I mean. But yes, public apathy in these instances is a pretty bad reality.

That said, I'm not sure, touching or moving a body in a fatal mishap is an intelligent thing to do. Maybe it's best for the concerned authorities to do the needful. It's another story if the person is alive and you can always attempt to do all in your power to save the injured person from further complications.

Why, I've even come across instances where even emergency services ambulances flatly refuse to touch the victim if death has occurred. There's a different procedure in case of death, it seems.
Old 18th October 2017, 19:58   #24832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
She seems either oblivious of the thing or careless or distracted or then pure ignorant about the danger. That's why she probably attempted the stunt.
If you notice this happened in evening during twilight hours. Her headlight was also not turned on. It must have been hard for her to notice the difference in levels in such a condition.

I happen to live near here but I haven't used this section of the road. The deceased is known to few people in our housing society so, this comes as a tragic mishap to people in this area.
There was a candle light vigil as mark of respect for the deceased yesterday by the residents of this area. Many here is unhappy with the road conditions in Khaghar, Navi Mumbai.

A few months back, one department dug up several well built roads in this area to lay down pipes or wires. These were then simply covered with rubble and left at that stage. During the rains several stretches developed potholes and many unpaved were water logged.

This was one such stretch where this accident took place. It was an accident waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
That said, I'm not sure, touching or moving a body in a fatal mishap is an intelligent thing to do. Maybe it's best for the concerned authorities to do the needful. It's another story if the person is alive and you can always attempt to do all in your power to save the injured person from further complications.

Why, I've even come across instances where even emergency services ambulances flatly refuse to touch the victim if death has occurred. There's a different procedure in case of death, it seems.
I don't think so. How would you know from looking from afar if a person is dead or alive? In fact there is a topsline ambulance always stationed just near this place. Someone could have just stopped and checked up on the victim and called the ambulance.

It has been a tragedy for the family and friends of the deceased. May god give the family strength and may her soul rest in peace.
Old 19th October 2017, 00:04   #24833
BHPian

I won't start s debate here but this is the life saver rule when riding a two wheeler, look above your shoulder.
This would have in a way given her the opportunity to make a decision to go ahead or abort.

A motorcycle rider is the most vulnerable road users closely followed by pedestrians.

The blame game will continue, holding contractor, crane driver etc responsible.

But a life is already lost.

Sad for the life lost.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 09:28   #24834
BHPian

Five people died in accident on Mangaluru highway on 19th October

Three of the victims were members of a family waiting at a bus stop.

An outing by college students turned tragic on Thursday for a family of four. The driver of their vehicle lost control of the vehicle and rammed into a bus stand near Kudur on the Bengaluru-Mangaluru highway, claiming the lives of five persons.

According to the police, six students from HKBK College in J.P. Nagar in Bengaluru had hired an SUV. They were heading towards Savandurga Hill near Magadi when the driver lost control. The vehicle rammed into a bus stand and fell into a ditch. Three members of a family, who were in the bus stand, and two persons in the car died on the spot.

Source: The Hindu
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 09:39   #24835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Apparently, reports mention that it was a self-drive car from Zoom.

What is even worse? It killed a family that had taken shelter at the Bus-stop where the Scorpio crashed into! Talk about bad luck !
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-618xnx638531_thump.jpg.pagespeed.ic.t0ryiuip4_.jpg

Quote:
Three of a family and two engineering students from the city were killed when an SUV crashed into a bus shelter on NH 75 near Magadi, Bengaluru Rural district, on Thursday evening. The students were part of a five-member group that had set out to Savandurga Hills from JP Nagar.

The students hired a silver Mahindra Scorpio from Zoomcar, an automobile rental firm.

Upon reaching Bychapura village near Lakkenahalli, about 56 km from Bengaluru, they came across a deep curve. Shubham, who was at the wheel, lost control of the car and crashed it into a bus shelter, about 20 feet away from the highway, police said.

Kemparaju (40), his wife Mamatha K and two children, Lavanya K (11) and Sanjay K (2), had stopped by the bus shelter. The family was riding a motorcycle to their native village, Muthugadahalli, Turuvekere, Tumakuru district. Kemparaju had decided to pull in as his children felt hungry and wanted to eat.

The crash turned catastrophic. The speeding car crashed into the family, killing Kemparaju, Lavanya and Sanjay on the spot and critically injuring Mamatha. Two of the students — Sajjan and Navaneet Upadhyay — also died while Shubham, Abdur Rahman and another student were wounded. The wounded were taken to the government hospital in Nelamangala where Mamatha is battling for her life, police added.
Deccan Herald

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th October 2017 at 09:44.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 10:33   #24836
Distinguished - BHPian

Received this on Whatsapp, apparently a pileup near Hope Farm, Whitefield, Bangalore:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-index.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post

Three of the victims were members of a family waiting at a bus stop.

Source: The Hindu
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Apparently, reports mention that it was a self-drive car from Zoom.

What is even worse? It killed a family that had taken shelter at the Bus-stop where the Scorpio crashed into!
Deccan Herald
I really feel bad for such sad accidents. On one side, we have a family of four who could not afford a car and went on their bike and on the other, we have a bunch of fools who could only afford but not handle an SUV and ended up causing more sorrow and loss to the already poor family. And what is more saddening is that the family were taking a break not even on the shoulder but inside a bus shelter. I have no heart for the driver if he died. This is just a few kms after the start of the highway in Nelamangala and there was no need to push the vehicle so fast without knowing the limits of the vehicle. Ramming into the bus stop which is well away from the road does not indicate any sane speed.

EDIT: So the driver was not one of the deceased. Not sure if this guy deserves to drive a car again.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th October 2017 at 10:35.
audioholic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 10:52   #24837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I really feel bad for such sad accidents. On one side, we have a family of four who could not afford a car and went on their bike and on the other, we have a bunch of fools who could only afford but not handle an SUV and ended up causing more sorrow and loss to the already poor family. And what is more saddening is that the family were taking a break not even on the shoulder but inside a bus shelter. I have no heart for the driver if he died. This is just a few kms after the start of the highway in Nelamangala and there was no need to push the vehicle so fast without knowing the limits of the vehicle. Ramming into the bus stop which is well away from the road does not indicate any sane speed.
I too feel very sad when I read about such incidents. I'm not sure if the word 'accident' is applicable many of these events - since I feel many of these are avoidable if only the driver (sometimes other people involved) was more careful.
How many more innocent lives do we have to lose or shed innocent blood before the concept of Road Safety sinks into our collective memory?
Old 20th October 2017, 11:08   #24838
BHPian

Quote:
Received this on Whatsapp, apparently a pileup near Hope Farm, Whitefield, Bangalore:

Attachment 1687564
EDIT: So the driver was not one of the deceased. Not sure if this guy deserves to drive a car again.
He should be banned from driving and charged for manslaughter.
How tragic and unfortunate for the poor family.

Thinking of the times I would stop at such bus stops on the stretch after Kolhapur, for my children to relieve themselves or grab some sandwiches, water from the boot.

RIP
Old 20th October 2017, 12:30   #24839
BHPian

Quote:
....there was no need to push the vehicle so fast without knowing the limits of the vehicle. Ramming into the bus stop which is well away from the road does not indicate any sane speed.
Most people decide how fast to drive based on how good the road surface is. If the surface is good, floor it. Got potholes? Slow down. That's it. The people around, the traffic, the kids walking to school, the school nearby, the shops on the side, the market on the side, the houses on either side... none of these matter. NONE. That's how stupid some people are on the roads... especially those who zip on city roads in traffic, by-lanes in residential areas and narrow village roads.

Last edited by Torqy : 20th October 2017 at 12:33.
Torqy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 12:55   #24840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Most people decide how fast to drive based on how good the road surface is. If the surface is good, floor it. Got potholes? Slow down. That's it. The people around, the traffic, the kids walking to school, the school nearby, the shops on the side, the market on the side, the houses on either side... none of these matter. NONE. That's how stupid some people are on the roads... especially those who zip on city roads in traffic, by-lanes in residential areas and narrow village roads.
This.

Answers a question I have always asked myself. Why on Earth would someone be driving xxxx[insert high speed] fast in this xxxx[narrow crowded area] type of road. I think this is the sole criteria. Sad.

It is harrowing to see people zooming fast in basements, inside condo driveways, and narrow roads - which at times have no divider. Specially when someone crosses the other side to over take -- it is so obvious to see, that the incoming traffic should manage (ie: stop or swerve away), that is the thought process in the drivers mind. Why do people do this.? At times if one looks into their rear mirrors, one can spot a solitary cowboy at a much higher spread. The swarm is moving at 60, but some idiot will be zooming in/out at 80. I just give side, and go on super alert. These type of people cause the accidents.

India is actually blessed nation. With the amount of tomfoolery happening on our roads, the kill count should be much higher.
asingh1977 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks